#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

to view more.
Ratings: 5,197 | Reviews: 1,643
2.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Well, I don't know what to say, the description says it all. Don't want to be unfair, colour, smell, carbonation, overall qualities make them a decent beer, but I didn't like it, it is something different, too floral, and too sweet, you smell it and have a first sip and you immediately picture yourself hopping in a garden of flowers like Heidi, picking up cherries, I mean it is not what you expect from a beer, I won't have it again, but quality speaking, it is not a bad beer.

4.08/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

It tastes like crap when it gets warm.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok, this is what I used to think "craft beer" was. I would often pick it up at a specialty store, drink and enjoy. Now, as my palette has become more sophisticated, I revisited this old favorite. Needless to say, it's not nearly as good as I remember, but still a great alternative to Sam Adams or Blue Moon if your unfortunate enough to be at Applebees. Still love the words of wisdom under the bottlecap. Today mine was "Milk a cow till it says wow"

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A very light almost lager type mouth feel. The fruitiness is quite subtle. A very refreshing summer type beer. I like it, but it's not fantastic.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is unique. There is nothing else that I've ever had like it, and it deserves a solid rating.

4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

A very drinkable beer with a hint of a berry taste

4.74/5  rDev +39.8%

Out of all the Magic Hat Selection No.9 can be drank all year round. Apricots are never a bad choice.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hadn't had this one in a loooong time since college days mayhaps. I guess that's why I was hesitant to return to this one, but I ended up getting one for free which I could not turn down. I was expecting the worst, but it was better than I expected.
Look was orange in color, hazy(didn't think this was a wheat beer), opaque(kind of like looking through stained glass) The head disapeared into a thin white head that stayed with it all along. There was not much lacing.
Smell is I thought at first like fake berries(fruity pebbles) and down the line got more prunes. It is definitely a sweeter smell.
Taste was fruity, a bit of hops, malty like a scotch ale and then a dry finish. It does remind me of a scotch ale quite a bit.
The body is thin and goes down smooth. Not a ton of carbonation. Since I like scotch ales and I felt like this was comparable it was a decent beer in my opinion. It has a sessionable quality since it is only 5.1% ABV.

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A bit sweet. But I like this beer. Great color, nice finish. Little disappointing on holding a head

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

I use this website often to decide on my buys, today I decided to try out a 6 pack of #9's with my 30 rack of bud light.
I was for some reason expecting it to taste like a typical IPA which I don't like but I was surely mistaken. It goes down so well, tastes of apricots and citrusy fruits, unlike any beer I've ever tasted. I'm not very well at describing beers down to the taste and smell and all that, but it's definitely worth a try. I could now say it's my go-to beer until I find something tastier, I know I'll be picking up larger quantities of this in the future! Definitely not looking forward to this 30 rack after tasting that!

3.26/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not the best fruit beer I've ever had, hints of apricot but nothing substantial in the body. Nothing special, just like the bulk of Magic Hat's lineup

4.12/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Always been a favorite of mine. Great taste, crisp and refreshing!

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%

L - Amber color, very clear. Not much froth head from a hard pour. Disappeared very quickly.

S - Licorice; Fruity; Nothing overpowering.

T - Apples and other fruit at first; Wheat and beer after taste. Very weird.

F - Light body like a domestic lager but it is like an hard cider and a beer

O - This is like a hard cider and a beer combined. Very weird in character but that has been the whole story with this beer. This doesn't particularly dive into my realm but I would have this over Redd's Apple Ale

2.21/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I find the fruitiness of this to be overwhelming. The taste in itself isn't bad, but it's over-powering

2.1/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Not much on the nose. No fruity tones in the taste. Feel is very watered down.

1.51/5  rDev -55.5%

This beer tastes and smells like cough syrup to me. I have tried it several times, attempting to give it another chance, but I can't stomach it.

3.31/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Medium orange-brown color, with slight haze, anda small, dense white head, which retains poorly, leaving only a scattering of foam on the surface. Thin, finely-beaded lacing adorns the glass walls. Modest amounts of carbonation drift lazily to the surface.

Aroma: The aroma offers a surprising note of apricots, and fairly robust pale malt.

Taste: The taste begins with caramel and apricots, not quite caramel dipped apricots, but both flavors are prominent. There is also an underlying bread-like malt flavor. Towards the finish, there is a slight tart and sour flavor, and some mild grassy hops.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, with modest carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not bad really, would be appealing in the depths of summer.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

4.13/5  rDev +21.8%

Recently got a 12 pack assortment with different magic hat beers. First one out of the cooler was #9. I've had this one before and enjoyed it then and now.
Tastes good, looks good and goes down smooth.

4.32/5  rDev +27.4%

Good fruit notes. Great beer for the cost

3.56/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly hazy golden-orange, a few lazy bubbles. Only a ring of white lace.

S: Fresh fruit; mandarin orange, apricot, peach. Not much 'beer' aroma- almost like a fruit punch, but enticing.

T: Same fruits, presented very dryly. Finally some banana-like wheat flavor, reminding me that this is actually a beer.

F: Light bodied, thankfully not syrupy from the sugary fruits. Not much texture, but that makes this extremely easily drinkable.

O: Not-quite-even-close to a pale ale. No hops, not much real beer flavor, and definitely not pale in color. Pretty simple, but that's it's strong point. A good refreshing summery beer.

1.34/5  rDev -60.5%

This is one of the worst beers I've ever had. Bought a six, opened one, took two drinks, discarded the rest.

OK many years ago...still OK now...just have not been happy with anything they put out. It's sad to say this is one of the better offerings STILL

4.34/5  rDev +28%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very smooth tasting beer. Will certainly add into the collection to have in the beer fridge.

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

Great tasting beer. Has a very unique taste

3.94/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Golden orange in color with perfect clarity. Poured with a short, bright, frothy white foam with moderate retention. Sweet apricot and bready malt aromas. Esters are present due to eh apricot presence. No hop aromas. Aromas are well balanced and moderate. Medium bodied with medium high carbonation. Smooth and creamy through the middle with a slow building drying sensation toward the end. Sweet, mellow apricot and malt up front balanced by moderate bitterness through the middle. No hop flavors. Light bready malt near the end as this finished, clean, crisp and dry with a light ready and bitter aftertaste. Fruit, malt and bitterness strike are very well balanced. Exemplifies the style.

to view more.