#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,266 | Reviews: 1,666
3.27/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Good Summertime brew for a hot day. I've had this beer three times. Don't hate it, but can't get too excited about it either.

4.68/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2nd favorite of all time

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

Tastes and smells strongly of apricot (not a bad thing). Smooth and fruity, without the aftertaste. Better than most "fruity" beers. Good in a bottle, very good on tap. My go-to beer at Mustang Harry's for any pre Madison Square Garden events, where they almost always carry it on tap.

3.76/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

As advertised...can NOT figure out what the taste is! It's familiar but can't pinpoint. Squash? Definitely good for summer - crisp, not too light, plenty of flavor.

2.64/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A relatively solid Ale, nothing special or robust about the flavor. It pours a deep gold color with a creamy inch of head, some decent lacing retention but not too much, it is very bubbly; almost excessively bubbly for my personal tastes, highly carbonated. As far as the taste goes this is as bland as it gets for me, its not particularly awful or anything but it isn't very good either. Tastes like a champagne or perhaps even a white wine, just very alcoholish tasting. It has a 5.10 ABV but tastes much stronger then that, tastes like a 6 abv brew at least or more to me anyway. On the bright side it has a very creamy texture which I like and it seems to settle down the more you drink it, but the taste never fully improves. It isn't a bad beer by any means, but I certainly wont be buying this again.

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

Look: Beautiful orange to copper color with slight hazing, very little head and light lacing.
Smell: malt and spice
Taste: drier than expected, tasting malt and indescribable spices, refreshing and smooth
Feel: very low carbonation
Overall:very good pale ale

2.86/5  rDev -15.6%

This beer has a crazy flavor profile ranging from a fruitful orchard nose to the less than flattering flavor. The flavor profile ranging from some old Apple to rancid pear

1.34/5  rDev -60.5%

Ick! So glad I didn't buy a 6.

4.41/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have loved this since high school. (Sorry mom). My first foray into micro brews. Who knew there was more to life than Coors Light? A tasty beer. Not as fruity as one would expect. Refreshing.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer is totally 'okay'. Like, I kind of wish they'd pick something else to put in every single pack, but since it's their crowd pleaser, it's probably a good marketing scheme. I just expected to like it a lot more than the 'last 3 beers left in the pack' staple it has become.

2.92/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Quick review. This is definitely a love it/hate it kinda brew. I'm firmly in the hate it camp.

4.13/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I love a hoppy ending

2.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Well, I don't know what to say, the description says it all. Don't want to be unfair, colour, smell, carbonation, overall qualities make them a decent beer, but I didn't like it, it is something different, too floral, and too sweet, you smell it and have a first sip and you immediately picture yourself hopping in a garden of flowers like Heidi, picking up cherries, I mean it is not what you expect from a beer, I won't have it again, but quality speaking, it is not a bad beer.

4.08/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

It tastes like crap when it gets warm.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok, this is what I used to think "craft beer" was. I would often pick it up at a specialty store, drink and enjoy. Now, as my palette has become more sophisticated, I revisited this old favorite. Needless to say, it's not nearly as good as I remember, but still a great alternative to Sam Adams or Blue Moon if your unfortunate enough to be at Applebees. Still love the words of wisdom under the bottlecap. Today mine was "Milk a cow till it says wow"

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A very light almost lager type mouth feel. The fruitiness is quite subtle. A very refreshing summer type beer. I like it, but it's not fantastic.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer is unique. There is nothing else that I've ever had like it, and it deserves a solid rating.

4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

A very drinkable beer with a hint of a berry taste

2.74/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a pale, golden color with 1 1/2 finger head. Average - low head retention.

S - The aroma appears to be an attempt at a fruit beer yet ends up smelling like bread to me. I'm not quite sure what to make of the aroma. A lingering scent that reminds me of many macro brews.

T - A bitter-tart flavor that isn't too pronounced. Very distinct flavor of apples present. It's not horrible but I feel is more of an acquired taste.

M - Light bodied beer, very crisp. Fairly carbonated; more than my personal liking.

O - An average beer that didn't wow me or anything. I feel would've been better if another fruit instead of apples were used.

4.74/5  rDev +39.8%

Out of all the Magic Hat Selection No.9 can be drank all year round. Apricots are never a bad choice.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hadn't had this one in a loooong time since college days mayhaps. I guess that's why I was hesitant to return to this one, but I ended up getting one for free which I could not turn down. I was expecting the worst, but it was better than I expected.
Look was orange in color, hazy(didn't think this was a wheat beer), opaque(kind of like looking through stained glass) The head disapeared into a thin white head that stayed with it all along. There was not much lacing.
Smell is I thought at first like fake berries(fruity pebbles) and down the line got more prunes. It is definitely a sweeter smell.
Taste was fruity, a bit of hops, malty like a scotch ale and then a dry finish. It does remind me of a scotch ale quite a bit.
The body is thin and goes down smooth. Not a ton of carbonation. Since I like scotch ales and I felt like this was comparable it was a decent beer in my opinion. It has a sessionable quality since it is only 5.1% ABV.

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A bit sweet. But I like this beer. Great color, nice finish. Little disappointing on holding a head

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

I use this website often to decide on my buys, today I decided to try out a 6 pack of #9's with my 30 rack of bud light.
I was for some reason expecting it to taste like a typical IPA which I don't like but I was surely mistaken. It goes down so well, tastes of apricots and citrusy fruits, unlike any beer I've ever tasted. I'm not very well at describing beers down to the taste and smell and all that, but it's definitely worth a try. I could now say it's my go-to beer until I find something tastier, I know I'll be picking up larger quantities of this in the future! Definitely not looking forward to this 30 rack after tasting that!

3.26/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not the best fruit beer I've ever had, hints of apricot but nothing substantial in the body. Nothing special, just like the bulk of Magic Hat's lineup

4.12/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Always been a favorite of mine. Great taste, crisp and refreshing!

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company