Follow our progress ...

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company
Vermont, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

3.4

Reviews: 1,673 | Ratings: 5,571
3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottle cap says, "No matter Where, you're always There". This bottle pours a clear, apricot body, with a small head that quickly drops to collar and minimal, patch lace. Apricots dominate the aroma, with some grassy hops in the background. Mouthfeel is light bodied with prickly carbonation. Taste is basically about average for a fruit beer. Essence of apricot, pale ale malt, and grassy hops. Some bitter yeast flavor comes through in the finish. Definitely, my least favorite of the Magic Hat brews.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

I had this out of 12 oz brown bottle with the cool # 9 logo on the front of the bottle. This beer is fresh, with the enjoy by date notched for October.

The appearance was an orange with a much better expected head. In comparison to other fruit beers, this head is really impressive.

The smell is unmistakably apricot and peachy. Good amount of carbonation, but not excessive. I was also surprised at the good amount of lacing on the sides of the pint glass. Again, another feature that I don't typically associate with fruit beers.

What a tasty and fruity beer. Great balance of wheat, malt and apricot flavor.

I have been enjoying this beers for many years now and think its a solid beer choice to start the night off. I usually like a couple to start off, but can't drink these consistently throughout. A very drinkable and creative brew from Magic Hat.

3.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Paid $13.99 for the 12-bottle sampler...

The appearence is like a burnt goldenrod with a nice medium white head, good retention and nice lacing, cool bottle for a mantelpiece as well... The smell is of dark fruits and some sweetness...

The taste is purely apricot meets grain meets ale, an interesting flavor that does work well altogether. The mouthfeel is pretty light with the dark characteristics of the beer, nice. Drinkability is pretty solid but isn't the high point of this beer.

Final Thought: Out of a random sample of 50 random brews, this might rank #9 in my book, good stuff!

2.95/5  rDev -13.2%

I dislike this beer with a passion. It is way too fuity and it makes me feel like I am drinking a wine cooler. This is a different beer with all the apricot flavor but if I wanted that much fruit in my beer I would drink wine. Forcing the yeast through the apricot essence allows them to pick up many natural sugars before the brewing wich is a neat process. I have lived in Vermont for five yrs. and had to drink this out of kegs at parties. Beggers can;t be choosers but I would end up leaving and getting some Long Trials. Magic Hat makes alot more beers that are so much better than this one. I will leave this one for my girlfriend. At least she likes it. Oh yah it is very light tan and has a nice white head. It had some nice lacing of the glass. It smells like a bag of dried apricots with a hint of hops. Well taste it yourself and be your own judge.

After drinking this brew a few more times, it is really not that bad and I think my taste is maturing. All though it is not my favorite it does have some interesting flavors and the hints of apricot are some what refreshing and lighter for a fruit beer. It can be quite refreshing on a hot summer day. Oh well the pallet can change over time. I am glad to be able to try new beers and retry some old ones. Heck, sometimes you find something that you really like, that you thought you hated.

4.17/5  rDev +22.6%

Freshness date on label: consume by end of July (sampled in July)

Aroma is a wonderful bouquet of dried apricots. Slightly hazy amber color with a nice thick head.

There's a really nice balance here between fruit and beer flavors. Apricot lingers a bit and then quickly fades. The finish is just right- neither cloyingly sweet or too dry.

This a very well made fruit beer.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Appearance:

Slightly dark golden and hazy liquid rimmed with just a touch of white head.

Smell:

Served cold has a peach lambic scent to it; astringent though appealing.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Bitter at first though as it warms in your mouth it sweetens up and finishes with a kick of peach before going back to bitter; very intriguing, a good brew!

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours with a fizzy, rocky head of medium-sized bubbles about 1/4" deep. A few rushing streamers aren't enough to keep it from quickly dissipating, leaving a few crusts of lace. Color is a highly translucent golden orange that looks especially brassy when held to light. Aroma of apricot or peach skins, quite sweet. A bit of lemony? hop emerging, with warmth, high in the nose. Not much of a nosefeel here. Flavor starts with more juicy apricot up front, taking on more of a mango-ish or papaya sensation when swished around on the tongue. Very light, near-pilsnerish maltiness eventually comes through, along with a citrus-rindy flavor at the sides of the palate. Mouthfeel is very wet and smooth--almost watery; just the slightest tingle of carbonation--with a slightly sticky finish filling the mouth. Refreshing drinkability but I reckon the sweetness would eventually bog me down; I would prefer more bitterness. Comes across as a bit too close to fruit juice, but a worthy effort.

4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

I like this #9 stuff a lot. And I can finally get it near me! It's light and fruity and refreshing and not too bitter. It's a pretty orangey amberish colour with a bit of a white head, a tad cloudy in appearance too. It smells crisp and hoppy, with a big apricot punching me in the nose, but in a good way. It tastes great too, the biggest flavour I get is the apricots, followed up by hops that don't leave too much of a bitterness in my mouth. It's a perfect mix of fruit and hop to me. Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, very nice, and drinkability is great, I could drink this often, and I just might!

2.69/5  rDev -20.9%

on tap at the Quarterdeck in Maynard

Orangey amber with very little head. I have a lot of trouble getting past this funky sweaty smell that gets in the way all down the glass. It tastes okay, sweet as apricot jam or duck sauce. Maybe a buzz of hops in the background.

3.96/5  rDev +16.5%

If you are going to have a flavored beer, apricot is a good one. I am starting to worry about my preference for apricot flavored beers. This beer is not going to win any awards for it's head or it's appearance. It stands out on flavor alone. It has a head with a little lacing when poured. The brew is a cloudy orange color, nothing to write home about. It's all about the smell and the flavor. Apricots and other fruits. The taste follows the smells very closely. No mistaking the apricots. Other fruits abound.
This is an enjoyable flavored beer that is not tiring. You can drink more then one. Keep this one to yourself. Your Bud drinking friends wouldn't understand this one.

3.6/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

pours the color of golden nectarines with a foamy white head that peaces out with the quickness. light grain and pronounced aroma of summer fruits. steady carbonation, light to medium bodied. immediately refreshing and thirst quenching. subtle graininess gives what to a fruit flavor that is hard to put your finger on. i guess i taste apricots, but the flavor remains somewhat mystifying. maybe they were going for this effect. anyway, it works pretty well and is mostly enjoyable. light hop character finishes it off and is there for balance, mostly just staying out of the way of the fruit flavor. easy drinking and an interesting twist on the pale ale. kudos for originality.

4.65/5  rDev +36.8%

Magic Hat Brewing Company's #9 is probably my favorite beer at the moment. It's a rather odd color, a darkish pale ale. If you looked at it without actually drinking it, you might think it would be something your grandfather kept in the basement for 50 years. But, certainly drink it! Although the finish is not completely clean and it's slightly hoppy, the fruity taste (from apricots) complement the entire beer to create a wonderfully refreshing brew. I can only imagine how good it tastes on tap instead of from the bottle. It is quite bubbly as well, so if you plan to chug it be prepared to bring down the house with a burp afterwards.

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

The mysterious #9 with a cryptic label touting little quips to send you head scratchin' prior to even takin' a swig from a 12 oz browner held a beautious golden sunset brilliant cloudy pour fizzing with bubbles and crowned off with an ecru hued head, which is well retained. BA brownie points for freshness notches...whew! Just made it!

Apricots infused scents break out of this one a foot from me nose. Total apricot dominated aromas obliderate a hop squeek peaking out in the afterscents. Deep candy and fruit are all about this aroma.

MAGIC HAT #9 is not a juice-meets-ale mix. This is a robust, albeit, fruit inspired ale. A good spicy, fruity ale brew is always welcomed to me. Hops sneak out every so often, but become pushed aside with varied sugars. Once warmed, cloying syrup hangs around.

The crispness suggested by a zezty pour has become a bit dissapated.

Last swigs: Too unique of a regional apricot style to win over everyone. Reminds me of Pyramid's Apricot, but more mellowed mature sugars and syrup blended in. An excellent summer novelty switch. Thanks to my friend from Millis, JBDubs for dragggin' this one down.

Beer is good. Happy beering...even if it's fruity.

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy orange color with two fingers of head. There is a decent amount of lace left on the glass. The smell is sweet and fruity, with lots of apricot and peach present. They really stand out. There is a little bit of a hop aroma as well. The taste is also fruity, lots of apricot. Some sweetness, some tarty flavors. The finish has a nice little hop punch. The mouthfeel is pretty good for a pale ale, and the drinkability is good too. A fine fine pale ale, I wish I would have bought more while in Baltimore.

The beer pours a golden color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades. The aroma is good. It has a citrousy hop scent and a pale malt flavor. It has quite a fruity aroma; maybe peaches. The taste is good. It has a strong apricot flavor and a grainy pale malt palate. It goes down smooth and finishes dry and fruity. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a fine fruity brew. It has a solid core and excellent aroma.

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%

This beer is surrounded in fruitiness. The smell, the taste, the tap handle, the name and the bottle caps are all “fruity.” The smell, the taste and the handle set it apart. I like beers that branch out, and try something different with the handle. It makes it easier for me to figure out the beers when I forget my glasses. I don’t dig the fruity sayings generally seen on the bottle cap. This may offend some, but I think that it is stupid, like the sayings on the bottles of Snapple. I haven’t had it in bottles for a while, so this review is for the beer on tap.

Pours a golden/copper color with a full, white, frothy head formation.

#9 has a crisp flowery nose with a strong smell of apricot and peaches. Nice lacing throughout.

The flavor is generally different, depending on where I drink it. I recently tried it at a brand new bar in Fells Point (The new Red Star, I’m currently trying to get it added to the BeerFly). When I have it and consider it “bad” the bitter apricot takes over, overpowers my taste buds, and leaves me dissatisfied. However, when it is right, it is downright goood. On those occasions, a real biscuity, malty, buttery, yeasty tones come out and balance the beer with those flowery flavors. This makes it highly drinkable, almost forcing me to have several.

Last night, it was nice and balanced. It went down well with both mussels and finger foods. When it is overly fruity, it is more like a fruit/desert beer and I don’t know what you would pair it with.

3.4/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The bottle says not quite a pale ale and it is true,
A tough one to categorize but not Pale Ale.

Attractive looking with a medium brown body and off white head.
Sweet floral aromas and fruitiness abound.The finish is surprisingly clean, but I don't think I could drink several of these.

My first "Hat"- I'll try more.

2.98/5  rDev -12.4%

12oz bottle
Apperance: Gold, quickly dissapating head, lacing is decent, but not impressive.

Nose: Apricots, and thats all I got.

Taste: Fresh apricot chunks, dry, aftertaste is sweet, not bitter, but dry...it tastes like chewing on the pit. In a good way.

Notes: A good drinkable brew, but nothing to challenge your buds.

4.42/5  rDev +30%

partook of this beer as an afterthought, more out of couriousity and not expecting much. boy, was I wrong!. Beer served in a pint, pours a nice orange,lemon color with great clarity, good carbonation and wonderful glass lacing and a strong head on its shoulders. this beer smells of dried apricots and dried apricots or canned peaches. a yeasty smell with a strong fruity essence is how I would describe it. Taste blew me away with an intial bitterness followed by a strong but subtle resididual sweetness. Taste of apricot danish followed by a belini mimosa. detect hops and malt , hops and malt, and a delicate balance therein. Beer is wonderfully balanced and the fruit esssence gives it a hint of allure and dvrives the drinkability quiotient through the roof. a delicious session beer with a subtle punch. cheers!

3.84/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ahh #9, another favorite. Magic Hat Brewery's staple beer, and rightfully so. One of a kind pale ale/fruit beer. Close to dominant apricot flavor but crisp and refreshing finish, very drinkable. Another fallback beer for me when I just want to go with something I know.

3.91/5  rDev +15%

looks like a normal beer. bright golden straw color, with a decent head and what not.

#9 smells divine! smells like assorted fruit....but i also got a toffee/caramel smell? but maybe that was just the fruit playing tricks on me. cause it had NO coffee and caramel taste to it

has an intitial wheat taste, with relatively heavy carbonation. then its followed up by the fruity taste. i guess peaches? i dunno, just tasted like assorted fruits. if i had to guess, id say peaches and apricots. finishes up dry. leaves a bitter aftertaste, i coulda gone without this.

i was expecting alot different. i thought the fruit flavor would be much more stronger, and it would be less like a beer. instead it was very beer like

3.12/5  rDev -8.2%

While I am rating the bottled version, which I drank last night and tonight, I also had this brew on tap (at the Blue Dog Pub in Lansdale, PA). All three times I was not overly impressed. A nice pour in the glass with a slight head that had some staying power (compared to my wifes Coors Light). The color was clear and a darker yellow (again compared next to CL).

I detected a slight fruity aroma, but could not discern any apricots. The taste, on my tastebuds, reminded me of a pilsner, as opposed to a flavored not quite pale ale. Of course if pilsners are your beers, this is packed with flavor. Mouthfeel was smooth but did not impress me. It is drinkable and may be a good summer beer, but it's not for me.

4.32/5  rDev +27.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured with little head but a nice lace. Could have been the bartender's fault. Good color, with a slightly malty smell. The taste was very good in my humble opinion. Mellow. Tasty malts up front although mild. Finishes with an apricot flavor which is smooth and not overpowering. The mouthfeel is very smooth as well. A very good beer.

3.38/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very Interesting beer, that #9 is. In all honesty, the best way for me to describe is like Apricot wheat (from Otto's brewpub in State College, PA) on hops.

It pours a light yellowy-orange. It has some nice white frothy head, that dissapates rather quickly. Smells of nothing in particular.

I must say this could be a rather nice beer. light in texture, and higly drinkable. As other mentioned, it could be a rather nice replacement for light beer. I can easily see this being a light, summer starter. And, with cases being somewhat affordable, this might make the summer BBQ rounds

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%

An old favorite stand-by. Nothing special at all, but it is quite common in pubs around town. Better than all the light beers that proliferate my little hamlet. There is no head and a very weak lace aound the adges of the glass. The color is that of a rotten orange. It is sweet, but pleasantly so. The hops are ever-so-slightly bitter.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company