#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,640 | Hads: 5,409
3.65/5  rDev +7.4%

A different style brew...Very nice light copper color with a decent head and nice lacing. A definite apricot smell that was pleasant...following taste had the same apricot quality with a slight bitterness...mouthfeel was somewhat slick, but nonetheless fine. There was an odd taste in the middle that I can't put my finger on. It was not overly pleasant and detracted from the overall experience. Drinkability was a bit above average.

2.62/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Magic Hat #9 was a cloudy light gold. The head was quickly gone and there was no lace to speak of. The mostly apricot aroma had a little citrus as well and wasn't too bad. The mellow taste was a little citrusy (orangey) with apricot and some maltiness. The finish had nothing to it.
This beer was brought to a tasting by a friend of mine. Since I'm not a fan of extra ingredients added to beer, such as essence of apricot, (I don't particulary care for apricots) I wouldn't try this beer again.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

Came in a Marti Gras themed bottle, kinda cool. Cap says have a 9 on 9/9, whatever that means. Pours a gold color, with a very light red tinge. Very light, lacy head. Smells of apricot actually! Taste is carbonated and sweet and hoppy. Though I’m usually not one for fruit beers, this one is actually quite good. I’ve always like Magic Hat for trying such unique brews, and this fruity IPA is no different.

Pours a crystal clear orange-amber with a large bubbled white head. Small streams of carbonation rising throughout.
Sweet aroma, with a strong apricot base.
The taste is also strongly apricot, bitterness present as if you ate an apricot right down to the pit. Some malt in the background, an impression of apricot smeared on a nearly flavorless biscuit, and a touch of butter.
The apricot taste could get strong after a few, but it's fine if you're only having a couple.
Smooth, with a medium feel, and crisp. One of the best fruit beers I've had.

3.88/5  rDev +14.1%

Poured an interesting orange gold with an average head. Tasted just like it smelled: a good balance between bitter and sweet. However, the aftertaste was dominated more by the beer's bitter qualities. Mouthfeel was moderately smooth, clean and enjoyable. I didn't think I'd enjoy this beer, but it certainly made me regret all those trips I took to Vermont without visiting the Magic Hat brewery.

4.22/5  rDev +24.1%

Let me start by saying that I have had my highs and low’s with this brew. Over all it is one of my favorite seasonal brews even though it is brewed year around. For me it is the prefect summer brew, lighter, very refreshing with taste! During the winter it is not usually a brew that I go for, usually it would be a Heart of Darkness from Magic Hat.

This brew pours a golden orange color, little cloudy with a nice sized head that sticks around for a long time. The first thing that I notice is my olfactory nerves going crazy as this beer has a huge fruit smell. Smells mostly of apricots but I do sense some other fruit as well. For some reason the smell reminds me of summer, probably due to the amount that I drink of this brew during that season.

The taste is also of fruit, mostly apricots with a little hop bitterness that goes great with the brew. Over all the taste and feel of this brew is great, again a beer that I can drink a ton of during the hot sticky summer months but usually stay away for about 8 months during the colder seasons.

In the past I can say I am not a big fruit beer person, but to me this is a special beer that pulls it off. If you can give it a try, I think you will be satisfied!

3.15/5  rDev -7.4%

If you keep drinking stouts and strong belgian ales and what not, this is a huge change, almost like a punch in the face. Looks like a light orange/dark pale yellow mixed in. Color is a little unique actually. Smell? Can we say apricots? But there's another thing in there, seems almost like a nectar, very interesting. Taste hits you first with some fruit up front and seems to finish with a buttery aftertaste. Not bad. I wouldn't go crazy trying to find this beer, but I wouldn't mind getting it from time to time to change things up in the beer rotation.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%

Another solid beer from Magic Hat. Some people make a big deal out of the apricot flavor, but it's so subtle that I have no idea how it can seem disagreeable. I never even thought of this as a fruit beer until I looked it up on BA. It has that certain Magic Hat taste that I can't quite put my finger on but that I love. I could go all night with this one.

3.67/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a very clear and orange (maybe slightly peach) colored liquid. Soft and white head produces a lot of lace. There’s a very nice, moderately strong apricot aroma, mixed with very light hopiness and malt smells. The first taste is sweet, but it quickly settles into a subtle malt flavor, mixed with apricot. Finish is crisp and very faintly hoppy. I’d say it has a light body, and is very easy to drink, especially for a fruit beer. It’s certainly not as annoyingly sweet and artificial as a lot of them. It’s something of a lightly hopped pale ale with some added apricot. Pretty good.

4.42/5  rDev +30%

12ozer from a mixed 12pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA. Underside of bottle cap said "Buy your Gal Growlers with her Flowers" for those interested in such things...

Poured into a pint glass, formed a short-lived but substantial head, which left lace here and there as it receded down the glass. Nice lightish orange color, with a an easily apparent fruit essence. Not a big fruit beer fan myself, but this one just seems to balance so well with just the right amount of fruit input, it works almost perfectly for me. Crispness makes it a great summer beer as well.

Has become one of my "normal" beers over the past few years, with some holding down the fort in the fridge at almost all times.

4.55/5  rDev +33.8%

For some reason if I go into a bar, and this beer is on tap, I have to have at least two. I love apricots, and they figure very prominently into the flavor of this beer. Not only that, but the apricot nose is much more prominent than that of the hops (I guess that's why the name it a near pale ale or something like that). The beer pours a golden orange, and, when I've had it on tap, has no head. There is a crisp sweetness that is balanced perfectly by the apri-hoppiness (the delicious mix of apricot and hop flavor). It reminds me a bit of a low alcohol One-Eyed Cat hefeweissen...

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer made me want to try it. The name, the way the brewey describes it, the label...all are very cool. I was a bit dissapointed. The beer was cloudy and had a very consistant flavor. Not that it was good. It tastes just like it smells. It was the first apricot beer I tried and was intrigued by it. I thought that wouldn't buy it until I found out that the case was submitted for my beer club was a bad case. I compared it with another #9 and it was an difference. The good bottle was defineltly better and tasted more crip the way I expected, I very misterious brew indeed. I give it my vote for the coolest label. I'm a big fan of the brewery as a whole.

3.06/5  rDev -10%

This beer poured a pretty golden color with a small white head. Its aroma was sweet and fruity apricots with a bit of a floral hint in it also. The taste is basically all apricot. As it sits on your toungue, the taste doesn't change very much, though I think I picked up a bit of floral essence at the end. The beer was carbonated fairly heavily, reminiscent of soda...with a similar mouthfeel. If it wasn't for the background alcohol presence, I would have thought I was drinking an apricot-flavored soda.

Overall, it isn't really a bad beer...just not a regular for me. I guess it has a time and a place. It's too sweet for me to grab when I feel like a beer. I find that the apricot in the taste pairs well with chinese food. In the future, when I buy Magic Hat sampler 12 packs, I will save the #9s for when I order chinese.

1.84/5  rDev -45.9%

I had a really hard time with this one. The "essence of apricot" was overwhelming to me. I think this would have made a great pale ale, had they left out the apricot. The fruitiness dominated the smell and taste. There was a decent head. The color was yellow/orange. Anything else was just apricots. Yuk! It sort of tasted like tea?

4.08/5  rDev +20%

Presented to me by a dunken friend asking me to chug, I waited till he wasn't looking and poured it into a cup to savor ;).

Smelled strongly of apricots, I was expecting an overly sweet beer from the smell.

Thankfully the flavor did not match it. Still nice and malty, with the malt and apricot sweetness complimenting each other, while the light, bitter hops in the background even the entire brew out. Quite fantastic overall flavor, with the apricot complementing the beer perfectly.

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

I've had this beer in the bottle and have to say I in no way enjoyed it as much as when I drank it on tap.

The appearance was nice. Bright gold, thickish white head that retained pretty well. The smell was where it really shined for me though. On tap the apricot notes were very apparent. The taste was above average. Again, apricot notes were nice. When I drank it from the bottle I found it to be sort of tinny, but not so on tap. Full flavor, apricot smell and taste expanding in your nose and on your tongue. Very drinkable. Mouth feel was much better also, bigger, heartier in a way. As to the drinkability, as I said above, very good. I had three in a row at the Rusty Scupper in Princeton N.J. which to me says it was pretty darn drinkable, especially considering I did'nt like it when I drank it from a bottle.

I'm not a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is pretty good for what it is. I would avoid it from the bottle though, not quite the same experience in my opinion.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

This was the first beer I've had from them and it was really enjoyable. Found it in NJ at the Mexican Food Factory of all places. I tried a taster at first and thought I was in for a really fruity beer from the strong initial apricot smell, but to my surprise it was very drinkable... due for the most part to its dry ending. I quickly ordered a full pint and I'm looking forward to going back to try it again.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

I enjoy Magic Hat's Blind Faith so I figured I'd give this a shot. Bought a six pack for $5.99. Creative label. Pours a light ambr into my glass. Very fruity aroma. Peachy flavor, apricots maybe. Very drinkable brew. I'm not a big fan of fruit brews but this one is pretty good.

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours gold, and settles to amber with a thin, patchy white head. This brew smells of fruit, with what might be grape or peach dominating. It starts sweet, light, and slightly sharper than most pale ales. As it sits on the tongue, you notice that it does indeed taste a lot like a fruit drink. Apricot flavors become evident. #9 is light to medium bodied. It finishes smooth, wet, and somewhat bitter. Mostly this beer is distinctive because of its fruit flavoring, and most drinkers might even mistake it for its own catagory of beer. This beer wasn't bad, but it wasn't too impressive either.

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

It pours, simply, orange, with a cloudy complexion. The head starts thin, gets thinner, then slicks the top of the beer, with little to cling to the glass as it drains.

The aroma is beer with fruit. It really is that basic. You know it's apricot, so it could be peachy, but if you didn't know, you might think citrus.

The first sip harkens me back to childhood, Mom handing out dried fruit after dinner to keep us all regular. I hated all dried fruit, but apricots least of all, so that's what I always picked. Anyway, the concentrated apricot flavor carries with it the slight metallic tang of dried fruit, and lingers at the rear sides of the tongue. There be malt here, but not that I could truly discern.

It's light -bodied, though I think the fruit makes it seem a bit more viscous than most lighter ales. It slides away quickly, but it feels as though it lingers longer because of the aftertaste.

In spite of the fruital assault, (not my favorite sensation to begin with,) it is not undrinkable. I had to give a second one a chance, and I found it kind of grew on me, not like a fungus, but in some more positive way. Alcohol works wonders on my tolerance I guess. However, when all was said and done, I won't go back for another six-pack, just because it's not my taste. I'd wager that if you enjoy assertively fruit-flavored beers, you'd find this offering more to your liking than I did.

4.02/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a cloudy light orange color...nose is peaches...also perfumey....body is on the lighter side of medium...nice mouthfeel though....this is not sickingly sweet at all in the mouth...

Predominant taste is peaches....very well done...not artificial...not immense peach flavors, but enough to know it is there..very nice flavor for a fruit beer...a semi bitter finish....very slight but it combines nicely with the peaches....very natural flavored beer...

I like this as a fruit beer...I wouldn't drink this a lot but I would buy it again and I could sharing a few pitchers of this overlooking a lake on a hot summer day....nice beer...

4.54/5  rDev +33.5%

Magic Hat's #9 is my favorite beer. I love anything apricot so It was a no brainer for me to fall in love with this beer.

#9 tastes great out of the bottle or on tap. Either way make sure its in a nice cold glass- out of the bottle ruins the taste.

#9 pours a beautiful orange with a white head. Unfortunately the head doesn't hold too long but the aroma of apricots lingers until the last sip!

The taste is pure x-tacy, if you don't like apricots this is NOT your beer. A crisp light apricot flavor that doesn't overpower you with too much sweetness. It is a beer that you can drink several of and not get sick of the fruit flavor.

Highly recommended- and fairly easy to find in the NorthEast. #9 is a excellent beer and a staple to my diet!

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A interesting pale ale. Pours out a golden orange, wiht a nice white head. Smells of apricot and hops, wiht a lil of something else i cant discern. Taste like a crisp pale ale in the beginning, when instead of a hop bite you get the sweet flavor of apricots, the end however does have a touch of hops and finishes nicely. Good all around beer, or crossover beer, but it gives me heartburn.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

Smell of funky wet shoe leather and apricot fruit. Fluffy pale white head which is persistant and a carbonated peach filtered look in the pint glass. Sweeter peach/apricot fruit upfront followed by a a slight grassy finish. Nice mouth. A little too much on the sweet malt and fruit side. A little more balence is needed... but not bad overall.

2.19/5  rDev -35.6%

"3/4 Pint" bottle pouerd a crystal clear golden amber with almost a pinkish hue. Fizzy white head. Fruity and slightly adjunct aromas. Taste was on the cidery side, with peach, apricot and green apple. Some sourness. Finishes with more of the same and leaves an artificial sweetener aftertaste.

Did I land a bad bunch? Sadly, I don't think so. Not enough 'beer' here. feels like I just drank Caffeine Free Diet Cider.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company