#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,274 | Reviews: 1,667
3.96/5  rDev +16.8%

If you are going to have a flavored beer, apricot is a good one. I am starting to worry about my preference for apricot flavored beers. This beer is not going to win any awards for it's head or it's appearance. It stands out on flavor alone. It has a head with a little lacing when poured. The brew is a cloudy orange color, nothing to write home about. It's all about the smell and the flavor. Apricots and other fruits. The taste follows the smells very closely. No mistaking the apricots. Other fruits abound.
This is an enjoyable flavored beer that is not tiring. You can drink more then one. Keep this one to yourself. Your Bud drinking friends wouldn't understand this one.

3.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

pours the color of golden nectarines with a foamy white head that peaces out with the quickness. light grain and pronounced aroma of summer fruits. steady carbonation, light to medium bodied. immediately refreshing and thirst quenching. subtle graininess gives what to a fruit flavor that is hard to put your finger on. i guess i taste apricots, but the flavor remains somewhat mystifying. maybe they were going for this effect. anyway, it works pretty well and is mostly enjoyable. light hop character finishes it off and is there for balance, mostly just staying out of the way of the fruit flavor. easy drinking and an interesting twist on the pale ale. kudos for originality.

4.65/5  rDev +37.2%

Magic Hat Brewing Company's #9 is probably my favorite beer at the moment. It's a rather odd color, a darkish pale ale. If you looked at it without actually drinking it, you might think it would be something your grandfather kept in the basement for 50 years. But, certainly drink it! Although the finish is not completely clean and it's slightly hoppy, the fruity taste (from apricots) complement the entire beer to create a wonderfully refreshing brew. I can only imagine how good it tastes on tap instead of from the bottle. It is quite bubbly as well, so if you plan to chug it be prepared to bring down the house with a burp afterwards.

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

The mysterious #9 with a cryptic label touting little quips to send you head scratchin' prior to even takin' a swig from a 12 oz browner held a beautious golden sunset brilliant cloudy pour fizzing with bubbles and crowned off with an ecru hued head, which is well retained. BA brownie points for freshness notches...whew! Just made it!

Apricots infused scents break out of this one a foot from me nose. Total apricot dominated aromas obliderate a hop squeek peaking out in the afterscents. Deep candy and fruit are all about this aroma.

MAGIC HAT #9 is not a juice-meets-ale mix. This is a robust, albeit, fruit inspired ale. A good spicy, fruity ale brew is always welcomed to me. Hops sneak out every so often, but become pushed aside with varied sugars. Once warmed, cloying syrup hangs around.

The crispness suggested by a zezty pour has become a bit dissapated.

Last swigs: Too unique of a regional apricot style to win over everyone. Reminds me of Pyramid's Apricot, but more mellowed mature sugars and syrup blended in. An excellent summer novelty switch. Thanks to my friend from Millis, JBDubs for dragggin' this one down.

Beer is good. Happy beering...even if it's fruity.

4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy orange color with two fingers of head. There is a decent amount of lace left on the glass. The smell is sweet and fruity, with lots of apricot and peach present. They really stand out. There is a little bit of a hop aroma as well. The taste is also fruity, lots of apricot. Some sweetness, some tarty flavors. The finish has a nice little hop punch. The mouthfeel is pretty good for a pale ale, and the drinkability is good too. A fine fine pale ale, I wish I would have bought more while in Baltimore.

The beer pours a golden color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades. The aroma is good. It has a citrousy hop scent and a pale malt flavor. It has quite a fruity aroma; maybe peaches. The taste is good. It has a strong apricot flavor and a grainy pale malt palate. It goes down smooth and finishes dry and fruity. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a fine fruity brew. It has a solid core and excellent aroma.

3.97/5  rDev +17.1%

This beer is surrounded in fruitiness. The smell, the taste, the tap handle, the name and the bottle caps are all “fruity.” The smell, the taste and the handle set it apart. I like beers that branch out, and try something different with the handle. It makes it easier for me to figure out the beers when I forget my glasses. I don’t dig the fruity sayings generally seen on the bottle cap. This may offend some, but I think that it is stupid, like the sayings on the bottles of Snapple. I haven’t had it in bottles for a while, so this review is for the beer on tap.

Pours a golden/copper color with a full, white, frothy head formation.

#9 has a crisp flowery nose with a strong smell of apricot and peaches. Nice lacing throughout.

The flavor is generally different, depending on where I drink it. I recently tried it at a brand new bar in Fells Point (The new Red Star, I’m currently trying to get it added to the BeerFly). When I have it and consider it “bad” the bitter apricot takes over, overpowers my taste buds, and leaves me dissatisfied. However, when it is right, it is downright goood. On those occasions, a real biscuity, malty, buttery, yeasty tones come out and balance the beer with those flowery flavors. This makes it highly drinkable, almost forcing me to have several.

Last night, it was nice and balanced. It went down well with both mussels and finger foods. When it is overly fruity, it is more like a fruit/desert beer and I don’t know what you would pair it with.

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The bottle says not quite a pale ale and it is true,
A tough one to categorize but not Pale Ale.

Attractive looking with a medium brown body and off white head.
Sweet floral aromas and fruitiness abound.The finish is surprisingly clean, but I don't think I could drink several of these.

My first "Hat"- I'll try more.

2.98/5  rDev -12.1%

12oz bottle
Apperance: Gold, quickly dissapating head, lacing is decent, but not impressive.

Nose: Apricots, and thats all I got.

Taste: Fresh apricot chunks, dry, aftertaste is sweet, not bitter, but dry...it tastes like chewing on the pit. In a good way.

Notes: A good drinkable brew, but nothing to challenge your buds.

4.42/5  rDev +30.4%

partook of this beer as an afterthought, more out of couriousity and not expecting much. boy, was I wrong!. Beer served in a pint, pours a nice orange,lemon color with great clarity, good carbonation and wonderful glass lacing and a strong head on its shoulders. this beer smells of dried apricots and dried apricots or canned peaches. a yeasty smell with a strong fruity essence is how I would describe it. Taste blew me away with an intial bitterness followed by a strong but subtle resididual sweetness. Taste of apricot danish followed by a belini mimosa. detect hops and malt , hops and malt, and a delicate balance therein. Beer is wonderfully balanced and the fruit esssence gives it a hint of allure and dvrives the drinkability quiotient through the roof. a delicious session beer with a subtle punch. cheers!

3.84/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ahh #9, another favorite. Magic Hat Brewery's staple beer, and rightfully so. One of a kind pale ale/fruit beer. Close to dominant apricot flavor but crisp and refreshing finish, very drinkable. Another fallback beer for me when I just want to go with something I know.

3.91/5  rDev +15.3%

looks like a normal beer. bright golden straw color, with a decent head and what not.

#9 smells divine! smells like assorted fruit....but i also got a toffee/caramel smell? but maybe that was just the fruit playing tricks on me. cause it had NO coffee and caramel taste to it

has an intitial wheat taste, with relatively heavy carbonation. then its followed up by the fruity taste. i guess peaches? i dunno, just tasted like assorted fruits. if i had to guess, id say peaches and apricots. finishes up dry. leaves a bitter aftertaste, i coulda gone without this.

i was expecting alot different. i thought the fruit flavor would be much more stronger, and it would be less like a beer. instead it was very beer like

3.12/5  rDev -8%

While I am rating the bottled version, which I drank last night and tonight, I also had this brew on tap (at the Blue Dog Pub in Lansdale, PA). All three times I was not overly impressed. A nice pour in the glass with a slight head that had some staying power (compared to my wifes Coors Light). The color was clear and a darker yellow (again compared next to CL).

I detected a slight fruity aroma, but could not discern any apricots. The taste, on my tastebuds, reminded me of a pilsner, as opposed to a flavored not quite pale ale. Of course if pilsners are your beers, this is packed with flavor. Mouthfeel was smooth but did not impress me. It is drinkable and may be a good summer beer, but it's not for me.

4.32/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured with little head but a nice lace. Could have been the bartender's fault. Good color, with a slightly malty smell. The taste was very good in my humble opinion. Mellow. Tasty malts up front although mild. Finishes with an apricot flavor which is smooth and not overpowering. The mouthfeel is very smooth as well. A very good beer.

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very Interesting beer, that #9 is. In all honesty, the best way for me to describe is like Apricot wheat (from Otto's brewpub in State College, PA) on hops.

It pours a light yellowy-orange. It has some nice white frothy head, that dissapates rather quickly. Smells of nothing in particular.

I must say this could be a rather nice beer. light in texture, and higly drinkable. As other mentioned, it could be a rather nice replacement for light beer. I can easily see this being a light, summer starter. And, with cases being somewhat affordable, this might make the summer BBQ rounds

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

An old favorite stand-by. Nothing special at all, but it is quite common in pubs around town. Better than all the light beers that proliferate my little hamlet. There is no head and a very weak lace aound the adges of the glass. The color is that of a rotten orange. It is sweet, but pleasantly so. The hops are ever-so-slightly bitter.

3.69/5  rDev +8.8%

With little linger head; this orange brown brew wasn't much to look at. It has a faint apricot aroma. The flavors were a bit sweet, with a strong fruity body and limited hop spicing. It's a refreshing, quaffable beer, but not magic hat's most interesting offering

3.67/5  rDev +8.3%

My roommate brought home a six pack and gave me one.

Poured into pint glass a golden orange. Head disappeared immediately and there's a white frothy lacing left behind for my viewing pleasure. Mellow mouthfeel with just a pinch of carbination before the fruity goodness takes over, mostly apricot in nature. Easy to drink, but I think the sicky sweetness would limit me to just a few at a time.

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

I poured a chilled sample of this brew into my pint glass. The aroma is fruity apricots and some grassy hops as well, just a pinch of caramel is present too. The brew pours clear orange yellow with a bright white head foaming up easily and fading to a thin surface layer.
First sip reveals average body and carbonation. Flavor is fruity sweet up front from the apricots, gives way to an earthy hop middle and returns to the apricots for a sweet finish. The brew leaves a sweet film on my lips. This is in very easy to drink and would be crisp and refreshing on a hot summer day.

3.89/5  rDev +14.7%

On-tap @ Peculier Pub in Greenwich Village, NYC.

Pours an orange color with a decent tan colored head. Smells and tastes exactly what it is supposed to smell and taste like: Apricots. The taste is by no means overwhelming. This beer goes down very smooth. Could definitely drink quite a few of these on a nice spring or summer day.

I haven't had a #9 since I spilt a bottle of it on my laptop about a year and a half ago, frying the entire circuit board. Everytime I see one of these, it just brings back bad memories of that day and I have not been able to drink it since because I get too pissed off when I think about what happened, haha. But, nonetheless, I do like this beer a lot and would definitely recommend it.

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%

Golden in color, slightly cloudy, gorgeous head with tight thick lace.

Mild malt sweetness is the basic aroma. There's a touch of hops but it is also very mild.

Very fruity flavor, like grape juice. Slight wheat flavor along with a balancing hop. Watery with a quickly fading finish. Not bad, quite interesting. Probably would be good on a summer's afternoon

Poured from the bottle a slightly hazy orange color. Head immediately disappeared. The nose is very fruity. Apricots with a slight hoppiness. Flavor is very malty with the apricots coming through, again. Nice bitter balance to malt sweetness. Mouthfeel is medium. Not a bad beer, but not one I would drink on a regular basis.

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Pale amber, white head, leaving a bit o' lace. mild hop/fruit/apricot/apple aroma. Decent malt backbone, moderatly hopped. Noticable apricot flavoring. All in all a decent ale, nothing too exciting. decent complexity and enough subtle flavors going on to make this one worth giving a try if not seeking out.

3.27/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner style glass. Freshness date notched. Bottle cap underside reads "time is slow when your six feet below"

Pours an orange shade color with large white head. Smell is of apricot, as is the taste. A very drinkable brew from the folks at Magic Hat. Brews like this make me proud to be a Vermonter.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

A different style brew...Very nice light copper color with a decent head and nice lacing. A definite apricot smell that was pleasant...following taste had the same apricot quality with a slight bitterness...mouthfeel was somewhat slick, but nonetheless fine. There was an odd taste in the middle that I can't put my finger on. It was not overly pleasant and detracted from the overall experience. Drinkability was a bit above average.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company