#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,626 | Hads: 5,326
4.08/5  rDev +20%

Presented to me by a dunken friend asking me to chug, I waited till he wasn't looking and poured it into a cup to savor ;).

Smelled strongly of apricots, I was expecting an overly sweet beer from the smell.

Thankfully the flavor did not match it. Still nice and malty, with the malt and apricot sweetness complimenting each other, while the light, bitter hops in the background even the entire brew out. Quite fantastic overall flavor, with the apricot complementing the beer perfectly.

Char (501 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +16.2%

I've had this beer in the bottle and have to say I in no way enjoyed it as much as when I drank it on tap.

The appearance was nice. Bright gold, thickish white head that retained pretty well. The smell was where it really shined for me though. On tap the apricot notes were very apparent. The taste was above average. Again, apricot notes were nice. When I drank it from the bottle I found it to be sort of tinny, but not so on tap. Full flavor, apricot smell and taste expanding in your nose and on your tongue. Very drinkable. Mouth feel was much better also, bigger, heartier in a way. As to the drinkability, as I said above, very good. I had three in a row at the Rusty Scupper in Princeton N.J. which to me says it was pretty darn drinkable, especially considering I did'nt like it when I drank it from a bottle.

I'm not a big fan of fruit beers, but this one is pretty good for what it is. I would avoid it from the bottle though, not quite the same experience in my opinion. (989 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

This was the first beer I've had from them and it was really enjoyable. Found it in NJ at the Mexican Food Factory of all places. I tried a taster at first and thought I was in for a really fruity beer from the strong initial apricot smell, but to my surprise it was very drinkable... due for the most part to its dry ending. I quickly ordered a full pint and I'm looking forward to going back to try it again. (410 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

I enjoy Magic Hat's Blind Faith so I figured I'd give this a shot. Bought a six pack for $5.99. Creative label. Pours a light ambr into my glass. Very fruity aroma. Peachy flavor, apricots maybe. Very drinkable brew. I'm not a big fan of fruit brews but this one is pretty good. (278 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -10.3%

Pours gold, and settles to amber with a thin, patchy white head. This brew smells of fruit, with what might be grape or peach dominating. It starts sweet, light, and slightly sharper than most pale ales. As it sits on the tongue, you notice that it does indeed taste a lot like a fruit drink. Apricot flavors become evident. #9 is light to medium bodied. It finishes smooth, wet, and somewhat bitter. Mostly this beer is distinctive because of its fruit flavoring, and most drinkers might even mistake it for its own catagory of beer. This beer wasn't bad, but it wasn't too impressive either. (593 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -20.6%

It pours, simply, orange, with a cloudy complexion. The head starts thin, gets thinner, then slicks the top of the beer, with little to cling to the glass as it drains.

The aroma is beer with fruit. It really is that basic. You know it's apricot, so it could be peachy, but if you didn't know, you might think citrus.

The first sip harkens me back to childhood, Mom handing out dried fruit after dinner to keep us all regular. I hated all dried fruit, but apricots least of all, so that's what I always picked. Anyway, the concentrated apricot flavor carries with it the slight metallic tang of dried fruit, and lingers at the rear sides of the tongue. There be malt here, but not that I could truly discern.

It's light -bodied, though I think the fruit makes it seem a bit more viscous than most lighter ales. It slides away quickly, but it feels as though it lingers longer because of the aftertaste.

In spite of the fruital assault, (not my favorite sensation to begin with,) it is not undrinkable. I had to give a second one a chance, and I found it kind of grew on me, not like a fungus, but in some more positive way. Alcohol works wonders on my tolerance I guess. However, when all was said and done, I won't go back for another six-pack, just because it's not my taste. I'd wager that if you enjoy assertively fruit-flavored beers, you'd find this offering more to your liking than I did. (1,412 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a cloudy light orange color...nose is peaches...also perfumey....body is on the lighter side of medium...nice mouthfeel though....this is not sickingly sweet at all in the mouth...

Predominant taste is peaches....very well done...not artificial...not immense peach flavors, but enough to know it is there..very nice flavor for a fruit beer...a semi bitter finish....very slight but it combines nicely with the peaches....very natural flavored beer...

I like this as a fruit beer...I wouldn't drink this a lot but I would buy it again and I could sharing a few pitchers of this overlooking a lake on a hot summer day....nice beer... (643 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +33.5%

Magic Hat's #9 is my favorite beer. I love anything apricot so It was a no brainer for me to fall in love with this beer.

#9 tastes great out of the bottle or on tap. Either way make sure its in a nice cold glass- out of the bottle ruins the taste.

#9 pours a beautiful orange with a white head. Unfortunately the head doesn't hold too long but the aroma of apricots lingers until the last sip!

The taste is pure x-tacy, if you don't like apricots this is NOT your beer. A crisp light apricot flavor that doesn't overpower you with too much sweetness. It is a beer that you can drink several of and not get sick of the fruit flavor.

Highly recommended- and fairly easy to find in the NorthEast. #9 is a excellent beer and a staple to my diet! (754 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A interesting pale ale. Pours out a golden orange, wiht a nice white head. Smells of apricot and hops, wiht a lil of something else i cant discern. Taste like a crisp pale ale in the beginning, when instead of a hop bite you get the sweet flavor of apricots, the end however does have a touch of hops and finishes nicely. Good all around beer, or crossover beer, but it gives me heartburn. (389 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%

Smell of funky wet shoe leather and apricot fruit. Fluffy pale white head which is persistant and a carbonated peach filtered look in the pint glass. Sweeter peach/apricot fruit upfront followed by a a slight grassy finish. Nice mouth. A little too much on the sweet malt and fruit side. A little more balence is needed... but not bad overall. (343 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -35.6%

"3/4 Pint" bottle pouerd a crystal clear golden amber with almost a pinkish hue. Fizzy white head. Fruity and slightly adjunct aromas. Taste was on the cidery side, with peach, apricot and green apple. Some sourness. Finishes with more of the same and leaves an artificial sweetener aftertaste.

Did I land a bad bunch? Sadly, I don't think so. Not enough 'beer' here. feels like I just drank Caffeine Free Diet Cider. (421 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

– Poured a hazy soft orange fading to gold at the edges, fairly reminiscent of a glowing version of apricot skin, and thus appetizing. Had a thin foam head often falling to soupiness, occasional tendrils of stain, and fairly widespread though slippery lace.

Smelled of beautiful apricot with some beer character from the fermentation – it shas that sweet and almost citric character and slightly floral nature of apricots, too. Full and evident but not overpowering or stickly sweet, it is a natural-smelling fruit beer. Tastes of sweet, juicy apricot goodness, though it does have some small sour notes, and a citric flavor bite. Supported effortlessly by a light amber malt underneath, and a small hop lick at the end, it actually had a moderately dry finish.

Thin and easy mouthfeel, this is an impossibly drinkable beer, one of the best fruit beers brewed in the U.S. This is the beer that alongside Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout laid the foundation for my passion for beer enjoyment. Still as good years later. (1,021 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -32.9%

Poured from 12 oz. brown bottle. A classic cap asks “How much for the goat?”. Freshness date notched.

Clear golden with a fluffy white head that retreats quickly to a ring around the glass. Leaves spotty lacing. My first whiff of this one was rather disconcerting... I didn’t know quite what to make of it. After a few swirls I was able to detect a nose heavy with dried apricots and raisins. Starts off with apricots and a subtle hop bitterness. Immediately turns watery and grainy. Finishes dry with an almost unpleasant wet paper taste. Aftertaste is grainy and bitter. Mouthfeel is slick with vigorous carbonation.

Not at all what I expected. The use of fruit is meant well by being not overpowering or too sweet, but the beer itself is rather objectionable. The best part of this brew was the quip beneath the cap. Not one you will find in my fridge. (866 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +35%

Wonderful airy fruit flavors going on here. Hey - all you other brewers who think a fruit beer should taste like a Jolly Rancher candy - try some of this. Aroma is very soft, not quite faint, apricots and peaches. Malt glides across the tongue, a bit dry and powdery. Not at all sweet. Then the aromatics waft through post-swallow, peachy and delicate. Far333 - you've done me right, brother. (392 characters)

Definite apricot aroma. Oaty, lightly sweet maltyness, slightly grainy. Mild apricot flavour, with a refreshing crisp-ish finish, low bitterness. It was definitely not as sweet as i expected, easy to drink, easy to enjoy. perhaps a bit "girly", but in a good way (Bottle-GBBF 03') (280 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +23.5%

Finally got to try this very tasty fruit beer. If you like a change of
pace and some apricot flavor in your beer this is quite a nice warm
weather beer. Although not for everyones taste for sure, I can understand its popularity. #9 poured a nice white head, slight lacing and has a pronounced smell of dried apricots/citrus( I loved the wool sock description!) So far I like this brewery, there not afraid to
make unsual beers and I will continue to support these local beer
makers from New England. (503 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +20.6%

Had this on tap in RI at the Ocean Mist in Matunuck. Pours a cloudy light amber color - could have been chill haze, but it also could have been yeast sediment. Not bad at all.

Smallish white head. Not much lacing. Smelled like fruit and malt - mainly apricots and some hints at orange peel (?). Goes down so smooth with no bitterness, nice balance of hop and malt, and the apricot taste was quite refreshing. One of the better fruit beers I have had. (453 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer is a nice amber in color with a little creamy head. It has a very strong smell of apricots. From the first to the last taste it is of apricots. It is almost like you are eating apricots it is so strong. It ends with a hoppy finish that is very nicely balanced with the taste of the apricots. I would say that this would be a good beer for the summer or to be drank as a change of pace beer. Not my favorite but still one of the better fruity tasting beers. (466 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -20.3%

From a 12oz bottle.

Pours a crytal clear pale gold. Small head with lots of carbonation. Sparkling tiny bubbles.

Sweet pear aromas and a bitter dry smell as well.

Definitely dry but also kind of skunky. Don't enjoy the fruity body at all. Light hoppy aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and dry. Not an enjoyable brew in total. Interesting dryness for a fruit beer but for me, I do not get the appeal of this beer. (418 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%

The beer pours a crystal clear burnt orange, topped with a creamy dollop of ivory head. Some blobs of lace, but not much.
Aroma is malty and crisp. Apricot is present, along with a rich herbal, piney hoppiness. A touch grassy, with just a hint of diacetyl and estery floral notes.
Flavor is malty, with a solid hop presence. Moderate apricot glides through the entire sip, making an interesting citric pairing with the hops, coming through the middle and finishing the beer fairly dry. Some grassy herbal flavor. Light buttery flavor in the middle, with a touch of apple and apricot. Slight piney aftertaste. A bit rough edged. Well carbonated and very crisp. An excellent thirst quencher for hazy late summer New England. A quirky, interesting beer that I always enjoy. (772 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. The color is amber, with good head. The smell is of apricot. The taste is a mix of hops and the apricot flavor, with the apricot taking the bitter bite off of the hops. Mouthfeel is smooth. Drinkability-wise, could have a couple more.

Not a terrible summer beer, and with its popularity could be somewhat refreshing. Though this certainly isn't one of my top beers, I'd probably have another one again. (435 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Clear, brownish golden color with an off-white head.
Aroma is very fruity. Sweet malts as well.

Taste is fruity, like Juicy-Fruit gum. Caramel malt blanced by hops that seem to have a citrus nature to them.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and watery.
Good drinkability.

Overall, a solid pale ale/fruit beer. Something different for a change of pace. (355 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer has a nice hazy orange color, white foamy head. Smells...wow, like a bag of dried apricots and nothing else. I swear I could reach in the glass and pull out some dried apricots. Taste is mild up front with the taste of dried apricots in the middle and a hoppy finish. Not too artificial tasting, quite refreshing. Could be more interesting if the apricots had a sour or tart flavor. (392 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +20.3%

Presented in a 12 oz brown bottle. Poured into the glass a slightly hazy, pretty deep gold color with a medium sized, fairly typical white head. On the nose was an explosive blast of fruit, to be specific, apricots and peaches. Rather strong and "fuzzy", that same fuzzy scent you get if you were to put you nose directly on a fresh peach and sniff. An interesting nose for sure. I liked it.

The taste had some of the same fruity flavors, but this time, they were much more under control. Flavors of apricot and citrus fruits, peaches, light bready malts and a kiss of hops melded together to form a really nice, above all refreshing beer. Fairly smooth, medium body and very drinkable. The apricot flavor was the front runner, everything sort of hung off of the apricot frame. Very balanced and a real tasty change up. Surprisingly, Magic Hat's infamous yeast left little imprint on this one.

Overall - a nice beer on a hot humid day to start things off. (962 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

clear amber with a thin white head. smells very fruity more like plums than apricots i think, but maybe it's just me... or the bottle... this beer seems to taste different everytime i have it. there is also a hops aroma that smells kind of like ashes, but in a good way. very mild flavor (this time). with a lot of fruitiness. hops come through at the end, but not too strong. i could drink this all day. medium mouthfeel, could be a bit thicker. just a little though. overall real nice, but good god, this beer changes everytime i drink it... usually pleasantly surprised though. (580 characters)

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company