#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,640 | Hads: 5,409
4.18/5  rDev +22.9%

I feel I have to lead every review by saying I'm just not a huge hop head. Which is probably why I love 9 so much. A little fruity but also a little hoppy in a good way. My go to beer on a chill Friday night.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light gold/brown color, clear body and topped off with a thin white head that quickly dissipates. Good lacing around the glass and there’s no visible carbonation.
Mildly fruity but otherwise there’s not much aroma to this one.
Semi tart, mild apples and wheat grass and a slight touch of ops, not bad at al.
Light bodied and very crisp
Not bad over all, good tasting and well balanced.

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I was surprised at how passable this was, only cracked one open for nostalgia purposes. The biggest pro was mouthfeel, the carbonation in this beer lends a nice crispness. Very quenching and drinkable. Biggest negative was the nose, due to confusion more than anything. It's like I can place there is some sort of fruit in there but it is not very appealing and for the life of me I could not ID it blindly (believe I heard it was apricot at one time).

3.92/5  rDev +15.3%

Tastes and smells strongly of apricot (not a bad thing). Smooth and fruity, without the aftertaste. Better than most "fruity" beers. Good in a bottle, very good on tap. My go-to beer at Mustang Harry's for any pre Madison Square Garden events, where they almost always carry it on tap.

3.76/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

As advertised...can NOT figure out what the taste is! It's familiar but can't pinpoint. Squash? Definitely good for summer - crisp, not too light, plenty of flavor.

2.64/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A relatively solid Ale, nothing special or robust about the flavor. It pours a deep gold color with a creamy inch of head, some decent lacing retention but not too much, it is very bubbly; almost excessively bubbly for my personal tastes, highly carbonated. As far as the taste goes this is as bland as it gets for me, its not particularly awful or anything but it isn't very good either. Tastes like a champagne or perhaps even a white wine, just very alcoholish tasting. It has a 5.10 ABV but tastes much stronger then that, tastes like a 6 abv brew at least or more to me anyway. On the bright side it has a very creamy texture which I like and it seems to settle down the more you drink it, but the taste never fully improves. It isn't a bad beer by any means, but I certainly wont be buying this again.

3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

Look: Beautiful orange to copper color with slight hazing, very little head and light lacing.
Smell: malt and spice
Taste: drier than expected, tasting malt and indescribable spices, refreshing and smooth
Feel: very low carbonation
Overall:very good pale ale

2.86/5  rDev -15.9%

This beer has a crazy flavor profile ranging from a fruitful orchard nose to the less than flattering flavor. The flavor profile ranging from some old Apple to rancid pear

4.41/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have loved this since high school. (Sorry mom). My first foray into micro brews. Who knew there was more to life than Coors Light? A tasty beer. Not as fruity as one would expect. Refreshing.

3.63/5  rDev +6.8%

This beer is totally 'okay'. Like, I kind of wish they'd pick something else to put in every single pack, but since it's their crowd pleaser, it's probably a good marketing scheme. I just expected to like it a lot more than the 'last 3 beers left in the pack' staple it has become.

2.9/5  rDev -14.7%

Well, I don't know what to say, the description says it all. Don't want to be unfair, colour, smell, carbonation, overall qualities make them a decent beer, but I didn't like it, it is something different, too floral, and too sweet, you smell it and have a first sip and you immediately picture yourself hopping in a garden of flowers like Heidi, picking up cherries, I mean it is not what you expect from a beer, I won't have it again, but quality speaking, it is not a bad beer.

3.65/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Ok, this is what I used to think "craft beer" was. I would often pick it up at a specialty store, drink and enjoy. Now, as my palette has become more sophisticated, I revisited this old favorite. Needless to say, it's not nearly as good as I remember, but still a great alternative to Sam Adams or Blue Moon if your unfortunate enough to be at Applebees. Still love the words of wisdom under the bottlecap. Today mine was "Milk a cow till it says wow"

2.74/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours a pale, golden color with 1 1/2 finger head. Average - low head retention.

S - The aroma appears to be an attempt at a fruit beer yet ends up smelling like bread to me. I'm not quite sure what to make of the aroma. A lingering scent that reminds me of many macro brews.

T - A bitter-tart flavor that isn't too pronounced. Very distinct flavor of apples present. It's not horrible but I feel is more of an acquired taste.

M - Light bodied beer, very crisp. Fairly carbonated; more than my personal liking.

O - An average beer that didn't wow me or anything. I feel would've been better if another fruit instead of apples were used.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Hadn't had this one in a loooong time since college days mayhaps. I guess that's why I was hesitant to return to this one, but I ended up getting one for free which I could not turn down. I was expecting the worst, but it was better than I expected.
Look was orange in color, hazy(didn't think this was a wheat beer), opaque(kind of like looking through stained glass) The head disapeared into a thin white head that stayed with it all along. There was not much lacing.
Smell is I thought at first like fake berries(fruity pebbles) and down the line got more prunes. It is definitely a sweeter smell.
Taste was fruity, a bit of hops, malty like a scotch ale and then a dry finish. It does remind me of a scotch ale quite a bit.
The body is thin and goes down smooth. Not a ton of carbonation. Since I like scotch ales and I felt like this was comparable it was a decent beer in my opinion. It has a sessionable quality since it is only 5.1% ABV.

4.25/5  rDev +25%

I use this website often to decide on my buys, today I decided to try out a 6 pack of #9's with my 30 rack of bud light.
I was for some reason expecting it to taste like a typical IPA which I don't like but I was surely mistaken. It goes down so well, tastes of apricots and citrusy fruits, unlike any beer I've ever tasted. I'm not very well at describing beers down to the taste and smell and all that, but it's definitely worth a try. I could now say it's my go-to beer until I find something tastier, I know I'll be picking up larger quantities of this in the future! Definitely not looking forward to this 30 rack after tasting that!

3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not the best fruit beer I've ever had, hints of apricot but nothing substantial in the body. Nothing special, just like the bulk of Magic Hat's lineup

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%

L - Amber color, very clear. Not much froth head from a hard pour. Disappeared very quickly.

S - Licorice; Fruity; Nothing overpowering.

T - Apples and other fruit at first; Wheat and beer after taste. Very weird.

F - Light body like a domestic lager but it is like an hard cider and a beer

O - This is like a hard cider and a beer combined. Very weird in character but that has been the whole story with this beer. This doesn't particularly dive into my realm but I would have this over Redd's Apple Ale

3.31/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Medium orange-brown color, with slight haze, anda small, dense white head, which retains poorly, leaving only a scattering of foam on the surface. Thin, finely-beaded lacing adorns the glass walls. Modest amounts of carbonation drift lazily to the surface.

Aroma: The aroma offers a surprising note of apricots, and fairly robust pale malt.

Taste: The taste begins with caramel and apricots, not quite caramel dipped apricots, but both flavors are prominent. There is also an underlying bread-like malt flavor. Towards the finish, there is a slight tart and sour flavor, and some mild grassy hops.

Mouth feel: Smooth and soft, with modest carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not bad really, would be appealing in the depths of summer.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long neck bottle, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

4.13/5  rDev +21.5%

Recently got a 12 pack assortment with different magic hat beers. First one out of the cooler was #9. I've had this one before and enjoyed it then and now.
Tastes good, looks good and goes down smooth.

3.56/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Slightly hazy golden-orange, a few lazy bubbles. Only a ring of white lace.

S: Fresh fruit; mandarin orange, apricot, peach. Not much 'beer' aroma- almost like a fruit punch, but enticing.

T: Same fruits, presented very dryly. Finally some banana-like wheat flavor, reminding me that this is actually a beer.

F: Light bodied, thankfully not syrupy from the sugary fruits. Not much texture, but that makes this extremely easily drinkable.

O: Not-quite-even-close to a pale ale. No hops, not much real beer flavor, and definitely not pale in color. Pretty simple, but that's it's strong point. A good refreshing summery beer.

3.94/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Golden orange in color with perfect clarity. Poured with a short, bright, frothy white foam with moderate retention. Sweet apricot and bready malt aromas. Esters are present due to eh apricot presence. No hop aromas. Aromas are well balanced and moderate. Medium bodied with medium high carbonation. Smooth and creamy through the middle with a slow building drying sensation toward the end. Sweet, mellow apricot and malt up front balanced by moderate bitterness through the middle. No hop flavors. Light bready malt near the end as this finished, clean, crisp and dry with a light ready and bitter aftertaste. Fruit, malt and bitterness strike are very well balanced. Exemplifies the style.

2.41/5  rDev -29.1%

Pours a clear gold color with a bit of a white head that quickly reduces down to some lacing across the top.

Not a lot to the smell, seemed a bit funky when first poured, but there is malt and some fruit there.

Mainly fruit and sour, leaves a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste.

Feel is basically water.

Not sure what they were going for here, if to be different, they succeeded, but not in a good way. Tastes more like a chemical laced soft drink than a beer. I have had worse beers, but not many.

2.31/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

lemony, with some mild beer flavor. Not my type of beer. Does not meet the "tastes l9ike beer" test. But not awful- IF you like a lighter lemony beer with a little bit of "beer" flavor

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Also picked up as a part of a mix and match six pack at the sto'. Side poured from the glass into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance - Pours a hazy, slightly orange color with a thin soapy head that dissolves rapidly and leaves little lacing.

Smell - Light fruits, a bit of spices, not much else.

Taste - Pretty much the same thing as the nose. Nothing much going on here.

Mouthfeel - Finishes dry, a bit fruity. Light body, medium carbonation.

Overall - Meh. Underwhelming, nothing at all stands out. I don't even know if I would recommend it even in a mix and match.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, clear, golden-amber color with a slight reddish hue, topped with a quarter of a finger of white head that almost completely dissolved away into some wispy clouds that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very fruity and aromatic. Lots of Belgian yeast and raspberry up front, with some toasted malt notes imparting aromas of freshly baked sourdough bread. Very nice.

Taste: Very malty up front, quickly followed by some assertive and pleasant raspberry fruitiness, a little sourness, and some honey-like sweetness. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing, with some pretty good carbonation. With an ABV of 5.1%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is one of my favorite session beers. I really enjoy how refreshing it is with the nicely balanced malt, raspberry and Belgian yeast. Very good.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company