#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +32.7%

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

Palest clear amber with loose white froth that fades fast. Mashed apricot nose, like baby food, with slight melba toast undertones.
A bit of white toast and hazelnut with more apricot that gets kinda sticky as it warms then a twist of tangerine and pine Cascade hops.
Jaffa cake ending and tingly linger that's gone quick. Thin, fizzy, slight cling.

Not a quality pale ale to start with, only the judicious amount of fruit makes this at all interesting. At the same time, quenching and easy to down. I'd put this in the same category as Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat - by no means a great or even good beer, but a compulsively drinkable one.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

2.68/5  rDev -20.9%

I remember when i first started using this website i always used to see this brew reviewed and i always wanted to try it dont know why maybe its somnething of what you cant have you want anyway it pours a clear light amber hue with a two finger fast vanishing head and some wispy lacing not much,the smell is dried apricots,toffee and cherries not really strong aromas of one fruit but a few and the mouthfeel is just over light bodied and has tastes of apricots,tangerine and confectionary and its very sweet for a pale ale and overall yeah ive tried but wont be trying it again cheers.

2.15/5  rDev -36.6%

I can be a bad friend. I tell that to myself, and sometimes, sitting there sharing a paddle of five ounce IPAs with a buddy, anxious to tell me he’s going to a wedding in Vermont and is, of course, really looking forward to drinking Magic Hat, some craft whatever, I’m not entirely sure because I stopped listening then, do I maybe ask whose wedding, or where ya staying, or hey buddy that sounds like a fucking blast?

No, because I’m a shitty friend. Or I can be.

“#9 sucks,” I interrupt.

Turns out he’s a fan -- and I never even heard what he had to say. So before I become an erstwhile drinking buddy, I think it’s incumbent upon me to apologize and give #9 a fair shake.

Let’s start with the easy part because, stickler that I am with words, I recognize that saying it’s incumbent upon me to apologize is not in fact the same thing as apologizing. Mr T, I’m sorry.

The other part, that’s easy too, but maybe not really. There’s something implicit in “fair shake” that says “I know this thing is a POS but I’m gonna soft peddle it.” I won’t do that. Keep it short, sure. But if there’s one thing about that conversation over a paddle of tastings that I’m not contrite about, it’s that I was right.

STYLE: Fruit/Vegetable Beer

ABV: 5.1%

LOOK: Lightly carbonated, roasted gold and orange.

NOSE: Apricot, tangerine, maybe some herbs way down there too, though they’re mostly masked by the rather simple fruit bouquet.

MOUTH: Dried apricot, orange, cherries, light cough syrup. Overchewed bubblegum, and a surprisingly empty finish. It’s like throwing an apricot-stuffed orange down a well. Yeah, there’s a splash, but it’s still pretty empty.

BA Rating: 78