#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
View: Beers (37) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
k7sw

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +28.3%

A- I really like the color of this beer. It pours a slightly hazy orange-yellow not unlike the apricots it is supposed to have been brewed with. A 1.5 to 2 finger head recedes to leave a well-retained layer of foam that laces nicely down the glass throughout the drink.
S- Hops and fruit smell.
T- Not what I would expect a typical IPA (but magic hat is anything but typical). The bite and bitterness of the hops is nicely offset by the sweetness of the fruit.
M- Though it is nice at first the carbonation starts to die by the end of the beer and it seems to fall flat on the tongue. Leaves a sticky sweet coating on the mouth.
D- Very drinkable. Good six pack to take to a party or a barbecue
O- I really like this beer, I buy it frequently and enjoy it every time. It was one of the first beers I tasted and remains one of my favorites.

08-08-2011 21:38:13 | More by k7sw
Vengeance526

Louisiana

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a clear light amber color with a few suds and not much lacing.

Aroma is fruity and a little grainy.

Tastes of wheat and artificial apricot. Not much else going on.

Light bodied with lots of carbonation. Not crazy about this one overall, but could see myself drinking the occasional one on an exceptionally hot day.

08-08-2011 20:19:35 | More by Vengeance526
NightProwler86

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured in a 12oz glass at 45 degrees and tipped to 90 to top it off. Lacing is actually very nice IMHO, and head retention is par. Two fingers of frothy off-white head. Beer is a not too dark brown. Smells very fruity as others have remarked, smell is quite nice. The taste is initially very fruity and far from a pale ale, but it bites with a bitterness while swallowing that gives it some pale ale characteristics. This beer is also a bit watered down. Mouth feel is creamy but a little too carbonated. This is a beer I could see myself buying again. The price isn't TOO high at $9.63/6 pack (after tax) in Florida, but I have bought better for less. Alcohol content is also very low for an ale, and with the carbonation, you'll find yourself burping a little too often.

08-08-2011 01:27:12 | More by NightProwler86
ZenAgnostic

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a small plastic cup.

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber body. Thin white lace.

Smell - Weak. Slight honey sweetness.

Taste - Fruit. Sweet honey finish. Watery. Dull.

Mouthfeel - Soft. Light. Watery. Fresh. Moderately crisp.

Overall Drinkability - Refreshing. Sickly sweet. Good beer. No style.

08-06-2011 09:00:35 | More by ZenAgnostic
MrVonzipper

2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a very bubbly eggshell colored head. Medium retention and no lacing. Visible carbonation.

Sweet fruity nose nose with notes of pale malt, apricot, mango and banana.

The flavor is similar to a euro pale lager with added sweetness. Nothing like a pale ale. No hop notes anywhere. Flavor isnt bad, just very mild and Not like a pale ale. apricot extract is prominent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and a little watery. High carbonation.

Overall I assume I am like many others, and like in the future, just very disappointed in this beer. The bottle reads "not quite a pale ale" more like, Nothing Like a Pale Ale. I was hoping for a nice refreshing semi hoppy summer treat and got a sweet and watery beer that tastes like a euro pale lager with apricot extract. They should really describe the beer a bit (which they do not) on the bottle instead of misleading people by letting them think this is a pale ale.

08-06-2011 00:07:05 | More by MrVonzipper
ShrinerMcBitey

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Apricot - light, light copper. 1 finger of foam that went away pretty quick. No lacing.

S: Apricot, peach, fruity. It doesn't smell bad, it smells like fruit.

T: Fruit, apricot, hard to taste some very slight underlying malt. Does dry out some with a trace of hops.

M: Juicy then drying but not dry.

O: If I was on an island and told I could only have one beer that is predominantly a fruit beer I would probably roll with #9. But what the hell kind of horrible island would that be?

08-04-2011 23:18:49 | More by ShrinerMcBitey
jeremy2027

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

poured from can into nonic
light amber clear with little head no soo much lacing
Smells of Apricots and toast
Tastes real clean with not much malt coming through but you can very well taste the apricot
The mouthfeel is mediumlight not bad for the style
Overall I would drink it again if given to me. Not real sure if I would run out and purchase this.

Serving type: can

08-03-2011 21:37:31 | More by jeremy2027
chocosushi

Oklahoma

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz-> Young's Pint
A ~ Poured orange with a blonde hue. . . 1" of cap that recedes leaving better lacing than expected.

S ~ Pale grains with peach & apricot. A touch of wet grass & honey.

T ~ Vegetal hops, Cereal grains (almost like Cheerios), & apricot preserves. . . this fades into honey-butter biscuits & rolled oats. Grass on the finish.

M ~ Slight stickyness on the mouthfeel. Semi-dry & Very light in body with a nice melange of flavors on the palette.

D ~ Great drinkability. I was surprised as I have heard (only) bad things about this beer... it was actually a nice fruit beer/pale ale. Don't seek out, but try if offered.

08-03-2011 00:46:37 | More by chocosushi
broken22

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Finally getting a chance to try this beer. I brewed a #9 1/2 in high school back in the day.

This beer gets a light white foam head during the pour that lingers for a little bit. I can smell the malt without even getting my nose in the glass. The beer is a yellow honey color. The flavor is light with a little sweetness to it. There is also a subtle flavor of apricot. The beers flavor is only really apparent after the swallow. The mouthfeel is light with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a good brew. This is definitely a very approachable beer for those that don't always search our the more aggressive micro brews. I'm just glad they are finally distributing all the way out here in San Diego.

07-30-2011 23:59:52 | More by broken22
Brutmasta

3.93/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Nice golden hue, resembles a pilsner to me, an orangish tint too now that I've let it sit a minute. Nice and thick head but it didn't stick around for too long.

S-You can immediatly smell the fruit, I get peach, apricot, and some plum at the end. The smell has really made this beer so far.

T-Tastes just like it smells, delicious. Begins and ends with the fruit taste, a tad bit of hop bitterness at the very very end, makes me interested to find out at IBU of this beer.

M-Very light and smooth, nothing special.

Overall a decent, sessionable beer on the lighter side of the ABV universe. The first time I had one of these I didn't like it, yet every time I have another one I like it more and more!

07-30-2011 02:13:35 | More by Brutmasta
schlimenhaumer

2.58/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass at low altitude.

A: Very good looking beer -- pours a two-finger cream colored head with nice retention and quite a bit of lacing. The beer itself is a completely transparent light amber.

S: Honestly just smells like apricot candy -- not the faintest scent of beer here.

T: Initially, I didn't get as much apricot flavor as I expected (not a bad thing). The first few sips started out with a malty flavor with an artificial-tasting apricot finish. However, as I drank a few more sips, the apricot flavor lingered and overpowered most of the beer taste.

M: Medium-bodied and dry. About what you'd expect from a pale ale.

D: I like to keep my fruit juices separate from my beer...

07-27-2011 23:08:29 | More by schlimenhaumer
beerdrinker4life

Connecticut

2.38/5  rDev -29.8%

Big cooler full of ice. Lots of Magic Hat. That describes the people next to us at GOTV. Go figure, they are from Burlington!

Ok here we go with a beer trade. Gave them some of our Stone beers for their Magic Hats.

Popped open a number nine. Poured like a clear gold into my glass. Real white head. Wait a minute. This smells like fruit juice. uh oh

Taste? Oh man. You can taste the apricot here. That is allright except apricot does not go well with the beer here! C'mon seriously.

Wanted some nice hops instead I got some fruit. I am open minded but I am not digging this beer. It tastes too fruity and is not balanced. After one beer I am done.

07-24-2011 13:40:10 | More by beerdrinker4life
leansean88

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a fun beer to try. It tastes sweet, almost like candy, and really brings a smile to my face. Sure it's not stupendous, but it's a good beer to have with other people. Even people who aren't crazy about beer may enjoy it's unique taste. Not really much to say other than that it's worthy of a second try.

07-24-2011 04:53:35 | More by leansean88
eclaycamp

Kansas

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

I’m not sure exactly why, but I’ve always wanted to try this beer. Not sure if I read about it someplace, but it’s always been one of those beers that’s been on my radar. For today I’m using a tulip glass (non-stemmed).

The beer pours a crystal clear golden color – and I do mean crystal clear. You can read newsprint from behind the glass. The color is lighter than I expected, with a big creamy head. Small bubbles waft up from the bottom of the glass, showing clear signs that this beer will likely be highly carbonated. I was expecting this to be a “not quite pale ale,” meaning that it would be darker than a normal pale ale. Instead it ops in the other direction. Interesting.

Aroma is fruity, like orange, apricots, and lemon. The beer hints that it is going to be sweet, and there’s a slight bit of malt character that’s buried off in the background. Reminds me a bit of fruit leather or dried fruits – the real stuff, not the stuff you find in the kid’s section of the grocery store.

The taste is, I hate to say it, a little bit on the bland side. There’s some fruit, and some malt, and a pleasant lingering apricot / tangerine finish. But it’s somewhat muted, at least to me. To me there is a basic malt sweetness at the front, and the only real discernable hop character is minor bitterness in the middle of the beer. The flavor profile is fine; it’s just that they never really “pop” – I want this to be amazing but instead it’s only slightly above average.

Mouthfeel, as I suspected, is light and crisp. This beer aims to be easily drunk, and as such there’s really nothing to it. Heavy carbonation helps to scrub off the otherwise very sweet aftertaste.

Overall this beer doesn’t break any new ground in terms of flavor or style. I would consider this a nice gateway beer for those people who aren’t into craft beers, as the beer’s easy drinking style and uncomplicated flavor will likely appeal to the average mass-market consumer. Still, I can't help but feel that #9 is less than the sum of it's parts. As someone who looks for a bit more of a challenge out of his beer, this one falls a little bit short for me. Still, this is a beer I could probably throw back several of on a hot day, though it wouldn’t be my first choice.

07-23-2011 22:44:19 | More by eclaycamp
DelMontiac

Oklahoma

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

Finally within my grasp - Goebel in Wichita has Magic Hat. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle with best by date 08/20/11 into a pint glass.

Color is somewhere between gold and amber. A white thin cap makes an escape in a matter of a couple of minutes leaving behind a lonely ring incapable of producing any lace.

Once my nose goes in, I realize there's something hiding behind the lackluster appearance. A very sweet fruity aroma (apples/grapes/apricots) backed with bisquit dough.

Flavor backs up the aroma - very pleasant fruity esters, buttery, doughy, and crisp. A hop bite is nearly nonexistant (hop negative).

Pretty nice feel that gets a better once some of the carbonation burns off. This enhances flavor as well. I could drink a lot these in a sitting.

Some folks really bash this thing because they don't know what to expect. I like it for what it is - a bit of strange bird. Is this really a fruit beer???

07-23-2011 02:50:11 | More by DelMontiac
tigg924

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, gold in color, clear, high carbonation

Smell: wheat and citrus

Taste: wheat, grain, citrus, and apricots

Mouthfeel: high carbonation, light bodied, sweet

Overall: An average to just above average light fruit beer. I could have several of these especially on a hot day. Nothing spectacular, but very solid.

07-22-2011 16:54:27 | More by tigg924
ehammond1

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

On Tap

Urge Gastropub
San Diego, CA

Clear golden orange and yellow. Small white head. Some lacing.

Sweet and relatively malty profile with little to no hop character. Some fruit sweetness and a touch of apricot, but I was expecting much more apricot character.

Flavor follows the nose. This beer is relatively simple, relatively malty, and possesses just a touch of apricot flavor. Not a whole lot of anything except some bready and sweet malt, though it is incredibly easy to drink and good enough with food. Nothing offensive, but nothing very much of anything either.

Medium mouthfeel.

A very simple apricot ale--would love to see a lot more fruit character. As is, it's a simple, muted, apricot pale--not great nor terrible, just slightly above average.

07-21-2011 21:14:05 | More by ehammond1
cagocubs

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

Oddly enough, they had this on tap at a concert I was at. So I slugged down quite a few of these.

A: Amber with a small retaining white head that laced as much as it could.

S: Real fruity with hops, malts, and sweet aromas. Smell was interesting.

T: That fruit you smelled is definitely present in the taste. Apricot, dark fruit and hops are the dominant tastes.

M: Good coating, light, crisp, and clean. The aftertaste is fruit/hop finish.

I'm not a huge fan of the fruit-infused beers, but this one was real crisp and clean. I would probably try this one again.

07-20-2011 00:33:28 | More by cagocubs
cbo2122

Wisconsin

2.6/5  rDev -23.3%

I expected more from this beer when I bought it. It looked nice and the glass and smelled nice with some hoppy tones complemented by sweet fruit, but when it came to drinking it. I found myself wanting more beer and less punch. The fruit took over and was too powerful. I like the hops when they presented themselves along with some light malty flavors, but immediately the sweet fruitiness took over. Just too much.

07-18-2011 19:36:56 | More by cbo2122
lechroy

3.83/5  rDev +13%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. A is rich golden color w crisp white head that fades quickly. S is slightly bitter roused w fresh apricot. T is a touch of sweet fresh fruit & a light touch of English smooth hops. M is fairly carbonated pushing the buds. O, a great summer drinkable brew that is nice and refreshing. Yum.

07-17-2011 18:55:17 | More by lechroy
BucannonXC5

3.76/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Only changed ratings from Initial on July 17, 2011 of 3.50, 4.00, 4.00, 4.00 & 4.00 to the new ones on July 28, 2013 of 3.50, 4.00, 3.75, 3.50 & 3.75.

Poured from a tap into a pint glass. Orange look with about a half-inch of head. Had a fruity smell, maybe apricot or plum? Mildly carbonated. Had a peach flavor, so not apricot or plum. Didn't taste as fruity as it smelled. The good taste lasted throughout the beer.

07-17-2011 08:03:35 | More by BucannonXC5

Freshness: Unknown
Packaging: Draft
Glassware: Shaker pint
Purchased: On tap at the Flying Saucer, Nashville

I didn't have the best lighting, being in a bar, but color was golden to amber, with a small head of white. Lacing was good.

The smell on this beer was definitely unique, with a strong fruity nose on top of pale malts and floral hops. The apricot fruit notes have a sweet, candy-like aroma.

Taste is also dominated by the fruit flavors of apricot. Seems like a blonde or pale ale with a slight bitterness offset by the sweetness of the fruit. Light body and clean, dry finish with lingering tastes of spices and light fruits.

Overall and interesting fruit beer. I think this would make a good brew to have on a warm beach, but otherwise I would probably not seek it out.

07-15-2011 03:44:52 | More by sommersb
Ahoyhoyindeed

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

Appearance: orange, almost orange soda orange
Smell: Sweet, hints of apricot and citrus
Taste: Light sweet flavor with apricot overtones, citrus under
Mouthfeel: Crisp and light
Overall: A good session beer for those who like a little bit of sweet in their beer. Can helps it make it as cold as possible which makes this a really easy beer to drink in a session but is far superior to most domestic sessions.
Serving type: Can

Serving type: can

07-14-2011 16:14:13 | More by Ahoyhoyindeed
deaconoflove

Ap. Dark golden color with smallish head.
Sm. Immediate and strong apricot. Hard to find anything else.
Ta. Apricot first with a hint of hops, then sweet mild finish.
Mf. A bit syrupy, but not really.
Dr. A very good sippy after dinner beer. One will do.

07-14-2011 01:01:19 | More by deaconoflove
schmidtn

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a wine glass, cloudy brownish goldenishy color.

Nice foam and nice lacing.

Malt and apricot smell comes out nicely.

The taste has the tartness/ acidic flavor of an apricot. Hops and malt linger in the mouth.

Carbonation level is nice for this style.

Nothing overpowering or spicy here. A relatively mild brew when compared to other pales.

Overall worth a try, or two.

07-13-2011 02:02:05 | More by schmidtn