#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
atr2605

2.78/5  rDev -18%

A- pours a transparent golden color with a white head about one fingerwidths with average retention
S-sweet apricot. Not much else
T-Same as aroma. Has apricot up front with a very bland aftertaste. The hops balance the sweetness I guess, but it seems very muddy and has no distinct characteristics.
M-light bodied average carbonation.
O-Meh, I've had this beer quite a bit but just got around to reviewing it. It's not the worst beer in the world, but definitely doesn't showcase what craft beer has to offer either.

10-12-2011 23:46:39 | More by atr2605
Paymygasbill77

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours caramel brown with a decent head that dissipated very quickly into a thin ring around the glass.

S:Apricot and malt with a little wet dog?

T:Malty goodness up front that moves seamlessly into a fairly strong fruity flavor with a pleasant apricot finish. Not too much hoppy bitterness, and not too much cloying sweetness. This beer has very well balanced flavor.

M:Lots of carbonation but not too thin.

O:I really enjoyed this beer. I have seen this everywhere, but never got around to trying it until now.

10-09-2011 05:34:47 | More by Paymygasbill77
thehooksman

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

While this style is said here to be a "fruit beer," fruit beers must have a base style before the fruit is added. This beer seems to have characteristics that place it well within the bounds of an American Amber Ale or an English ESB. It's fruitiness and lighter than amber color leans more towards the ESB.

It is a slight hazy orange color with a thin white head. The aroma is of caramel malt, fruit, yeast. There is some faint sour aroma as well. The flavor is incredibly sweet up front (tastes like candy and cherries). There is just enough hop bitterness to kill the sweet for a clean finish. It has a medium body, not too carbonated and has a bit of cream.

10-07-2011 01:46:18 | More by thehooksman
enfield249

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Honey gold in color, small white head.

S - Smells very fruity, pears kinda. No hop aroma to speak of.

T - First, there is a nice fruity flavor, followed by some slight hop flavor, and then on the back end there is lots of what tastes like spice of some kind, almost medicinal.

M - Medium, not to heavy or light.

O - An interesting beer. I have had it a few times, and it's gotten old, but it is a go to in the summer when there is nothing else available.

10-05-2011 00:39:16 | More by enfield249
Kshock

2.78/5  rDev -18%

A- Bright golden color, not much retention. no lacing

S- Apricot syrup. Smells very sweet and mild

T- Apricot at first, then drys out on the back end. Not ass bad as i thought it would be.

M- light and fluffy. gentle on the palate.

O- Could be worse.

blah blah blah

10-03-2011 00:16:12 | More by Kshock
Heatwave33

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle to a Dogfish Head Snifter,

Color: Hazy orange with a white head.

Smell: Sweet fruit notes with a nice hop tone.

Taste: Nice fruit tones with a slight hop.

Mouthfeel: Suttle. Slightly coarse and dry.

Overall: A nice brew for any occasion. I like the different elements with the fruit, hop and earth tone. Bottle cap read," Give birth to great ideas." Cheers!

10-02-2011 03:24:08 | More by Heatwave33
puboflyons

New Hampshire

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

From a 3/4 pint bottle sampled on September 29, 2011. "If I had a tail, I'd wag it" was the quote under the bottle cap. The pour is a slightly cloudy light amber with a small head. The aroma seems a little yeasty and grainy. The body is thin to medium. BA calls this a Fruit/Vegetable beer. I would say the taste leans toward the veggies more than the fruit, of which I notice nearly nothing. There was a creamed corn character to it and a sligtly sharp bitter hopped ending.

09-29-2011 23:14:52 | More by puboflyons
jettjon

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

From a 22 oz bomber marked best by 3/31/11, consumed on 9/24/11. Into a pint glass. Hazy orange color with lots of bubbles. One finger head fades to a solid cap fueled by incessant carbonation. Nose of sweet apricot and fruit. Actually does smell of apricot, unlike many other “fruit” beers. In the mouth, the taste is milder than advertised on the nose. Subtle fruit taste… apricots? Perhaps muscadine or white grapes. A bit watery. No real hops presence. A bit flat on the finish. In the mouth it’s smooth, slightly bubbly, and quenching.

The label advertised “Not quite pale ale.” No, this is not a pale ale at all. It’s decent, quenching and not offensive. I would have appreciated more flavor, either of fruit, or hops. Misses the mark for me.

09-29-2011 00:11:33 | More by jettjon
depechemode1983

2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

A - Color is amber orange and a bit cloudy. Pours with maybe a one finger off-white head that doesn't stick around for too long. Not getting any lacing at all.

S - Apples and peaches. Light citric and floral hops in the middle with some grains and mildew. Interesting.

T - Kind of light on flavor. Its got a mild fruit sweetness with a little hop bitterness and sweet malty finish. Everything is there just seems a little faded even though the beer is fresh. Also leaves a medicinal after taste. Not pleasant at all.

M - This one seems a bit slick and kind or oily. Carbonation is a little off. Goes down rough and unrefined.

O - Didn't really like this one. Won't be buying this again. Glad I didn't commit to a whole six pack. I was able to finish the whole bottle though. Not a drain pour.

09-27-2011 19:55:32 | More by depechemode1983
tdm168

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a hazy orangish amber with 1/2" of dense, foamy head. Nice retention. Intense apricot aroma in the nose. The taste is sweet apricots up front with some bready malts in the finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied, smooth, and crisp.

This is a decent fruit beer if you're into apricots. Overall, though this is a one dimensional beer with little complexity.

09-26-2011 00:41:03 | More by tdm168
Blueribbon666

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

Reviewed from notes. Easily the most common of the Magic Hat brand found in these parts save for the occasional mixer. Citrus almost pine scent w/a bit of clove honey as it pours into pint glass. Pours a honey orange color with head that's thin and dissipates quickly. Hmmm, very different ale that has a sweetness of apricot added that's mild and not overwhelming. I also seem to get a bit of orange and even a honey like sweetness as it finishes clean. This is definitely mild enough for the masses, I could see the Blue Moon crowds enjoying this easily. Take the mild apricot and fruit flavors away and this would be rather underwhelming, a rare case where the addition/infusion of fruit saves the day.

09-25-2011 12:59:35 | More by Blueribbon666
diamondc

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

Best by Nov 30 2011. $1.99 for a 12 oz single.

A: Light copper shade, not much head or lacing.

S: Apricots, flowery air freshener spray. Not exactly beer like, but intriguing.

T: Not much in the malts or hop department, but the apricot flavor isn't offensive or artificial at all.

M: Quaffable, not challenging at all really. Would be a really boring beer without the apricot.

O: Probably won't buy again, but wouldn't mind drinking one if handed a bottle.

09-24-2011 08:05:54 | More by diamondc
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.73/5  rDev +10%

on the boat with the lads in the summer when its light out til 930pm, this is your pick. its local(ish), fruity(ish), and hoppy(enough to be refreshing without filling). had hundreds of these and the marginal utility is always parabolic. too sweet to have 14 of, but interesting enough to session all afternoon. find your groove with these and stay up late. a fine pair with any grilled veg.

09-23-2011 06:57:54 | More by StonedTrippin
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle, in a dark, pleasantly dank pub in Wyandotte, Michigan - you know, the kind with the best tap-list in the local, and any adjacent zip code. Anyway, this one is brewed with 'essence of apricot', apparently.

This beer pours a clear, medium copper amber colour, with two fingers of lazily dissipating puffy, frothy, and rocky off-white head, which leaves a low-slung wall of well-pockmarked lace around the glass.

It smells quite readily of a semi-sweet apricot and peach fruitiness, with a lesser, somewhat sugary pale malt underneath. The taste is more not quite sweet floral fruit - highlighted by seedy apricot and stale peach - a bit of earthy yeast, timid grainy pale malt, and subtle leafy hops. Not quite pale ale, indeed.

The carbonation is on the low, barely perceptible side, the body medium-light in weight, and generally smooth, if a bit wispy and ethereal seeming. It finishes well off-dry, showing off its proclaimed pale ale-friendly grainy malt, and still innocuous earthy hops, amongst a lingering plum and pithy apricot fruitiness.

An interesting blending of a pale and a fruit ale, drinkable enough in the late summer Michigan sunshine, I suppose, the bit that makes it through the various shutters and small windows of this joint. As for the apricot, I'm duly familiar with it through my local micro's best selling option, and I gotta say, I actually like this one better.

09-23-2011 04:26:13 | More by biboergosum
2xHops

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

One of the reviewers got it right by describing the appearance as similar to apple juice in color.

My main problem with this beer is the taste. It really did taste like they used artificial flavoring to add the apricot fruit taste to the beer? I could be wrong, but it taste like it. It just had a strange aftertaste after I swallowed. I get the fruit flavor, but it doesn't taste natural at all.

Overall, I don't think I will drink this on a regular basis. I guess I'm spoiled by New Glarus brewing company and other breweries that make good fruit beers. Unfortunately for me, many breweries I liked don't sell in Texas at all, and Magic Hat is easily found in many stores here.

09-23-2011 02:19:52 | More by 2xHops
Dave128

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle with bottle dating that is apparently on the neck of the bottle but is nowhere to be found in this case. Its not quite clear from the bottle what this beer is. It's sporting a groovy number 9 and the words "not quite Pale Ale"

A - apple juicy color. a little lighter with some hits of orange. Not long lasting head was disappointing as well as zero lacing. Oh wait, this is a fruit beer? that explains it.

S - When I first smelled this beer, I was like eww I'm not going to enjoy this because it definitely smelled way off from what I was expecting. After taking a sip it all makes sense to me. After redirecting my palate to the fruit beer category, I feel this beer still isn't great on the nose. Smells kinda like old musty fruit.

T - I'm guessing this is an apricot or peach based beer. It is pretty clean, tart, and refreshing after I got over the fact that it was a fruit beer. It has somewhat of a metallic aftertaste, but I haven't had many fruit beers that don't.

M - Fizzy like a wine cooler and light bodied.

O - I'm not too experienced with fruit beers, but this one is about average as far as I can tell. The taste isn't too tart or sour, but at the same time it isn't really that flavorful.

09-16-2011 20:38:47 | More by Dave128
CaptJackHarkness

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

12 ounce bottle, cap says " Give her growlers with her flowers"

Has an orange/yellow color, pours with a thin non lasting head, barely lacing glass afterward.
This is a highly carbonated fizzy brew, the descriptor is "not quite pale ale" It is a fruity apricot in flavor , crisp but tangy aftertaste is pleasant. I would suggest this as a refreshing summer beer, although it is available year round.

09-15-2011 19:58:42 | More by CaptJackHarkness
thecdp

4.28/5  rDev +26.3%

A fruit beer thats even good for people who aren't fruit beer fans. I was hesitant at first to try this as the only other apricot beer I had tried wasn't very pleasant to the palate. I'm truly glad I conquered my past and gave the ol' #9 a try. A lovely amber color, not much in terms of head, and a lovely aroma that was certainly fruity but not overpowering. And then I tasted it and was immediately in love. A wonderful beer that I will certainly not be afraid to try again. And again.

09-15-2011 02:26:07 | More by thecdp
BrewCrew2010

Mississippi

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pours a hazy orange body with a sudsy white head that leaves light lacing.

S: A faint fruity aroma, of course I wouldn't say it's distinctly apricots, with notes of pale malts and light hops.

T: Simple straight-forward flavors of grainy malts, some fruits (peach and apricots), slight hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M: Light body; medium carbonation; crisp mouthfeel.

O: I have to say, I've never been too impressed with this beer. It is easy to find and the price is great making this a good go-to beer. However, it's kind of boring and I would rather drink something a bit more interesting. If I wanted something that I could drink a lot of at a party, I may or may not drink this, but I wouldn't go searching for it.

09-14-2011 17:05:36 | More by BrewCrew2010
Chaney

District of Columbia

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%

I'm not a big Magic Hat fan overall, but I don't care what anyone says: I dig this beer... and always have!

"Best enjoyed by date on neck of bottle." Well, I searched high and low and couldn't find a date on the neck... or really anywhere.

A: Slighly muddy orange color, with a 1/4 finger head or so that stayed frothy for a couple of minutes at least. Some carbonation was visible, but nothing to write home about.

S: Fruity funk... sort of like a soggy breakfast cereal, but hell, I love soggy breakfast cereal! I got a strong scent of apricot, pomegranate and peach that was divine.

T: I know the motto here is "Not Quite Pale Ale," but I've always viewed this brew as more of a carbonated cider as opposed to hop bomb, due to how the fruit attacks the palate and doesn't let go. The hop character gets lost, which is fine by me in this setting.

M: Like I said, this is a very fruit forward entry, with no sugar buildup or fruit lingering afterwards. The carbonation was prickly and complemented the apripomopeach taste remarkable well.

O: To me, this beer epitomizes the term "guilty pleasure." Tons of people trash this beer on here and that's a real shame. This is by far my favorite go-to ale when I'm at a bar and there is nothing else worthy of my sobriety. I drink this beer often and will continue to do so.

09-12-2011 00:08:33 | More by Chaney
shortbus7

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

A: An orangish cloudy appearance. Nice head at the pour.

S: Very fruity. Not overpowering however with a slight hint of hops, very slight.

T: Again, the fruit makes the first appearance. I get a lot of citrus and apricot. The fruit starts to wain as the beer warms. The beer could do with a little more malt backbone.

M: Decent. Thin mouthfeel with good carbonation.

O: A decent beer. I would drink this again for a change of pace but I don't know if I would by a 6pack of it.

09-11-2011 13:49:37 | More by shortbus7
coalcracker

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Pours slightly cloudy into a typical pint glass. Good head and very active carbonation throughout.
Smell: Fruity with apricot and peach aromas very evident. Malts that may be there are overwhelmed by the fruit, though a somewhat bready background is there.
Taste: Very fruity from the outset with a mild bitterness trailing behind. This is again planted on top of a omipresent bready malt base. Aftertaste is clean.
Mouthfeel: Slightly below-average feel and the smoothness is somewhat broken up by the tartness.

Overall: Tastes somewhat better than the #9 I had several years ago. Pleasant tasting fruit beer that does not go overboard on its premise and melds well with the other components of this brew.

09-11-2011 02:01:17 | More by coalcracker
JoeyBeerBelly

12oz can served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear orange/yellow color with a white head that thinned out but still left it's fair share of lacing.

S - fruity and floral, I smell the apricot.

T - floral hoppiness and the apricot essence are balanced out nicely with a solid malty backbone.

F - light, crisp and refreshing.

O - a good beer for a change of pace.

Serving type: can

09-10-2011 00:18:41 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
mwagner8

Kansas

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

The smell caught my attention first. I would equate it to a pleasant cold vegetable soup scent. I know that sounds odd, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I smelled it. I did catch some grassy / funky notes that were pleasant too. Color was lighter than expected, no cloudiness. slight lacing as the head disappeared.

Enjoyed it, would have another.

09-09-2011 14:45:00 | More by mwagner8
AdamBear

2.98/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-light transparent amber, slightly cloudy, thin white head.

S-adjuncts malts with some berries. the more i smell it, the more i realize that it isn't too terrible smelling. medium strength

T-comes in with slightly bitter and bready malts with some tones of berries. its a very smooth taste, but its also very boring. there's almost no after-taste except for some berries.

M-very light bodied, dry medium to high carbonation with a dry finish

O-overall, i'm having a difficult time finding the enjoyment in this beer. its just boring. its not a terrible beer though, and i suppose i prefer it to the regular BMC crowd. this seems to be in the same realm of Sam Adams.

09-08-2011 00:59:20 | More by AdamBear