#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz into pint glass. I think my roommate brought this back from a BBQ.

A- Pale, Fizzy and settles quick.

S- Apricots are sweet, not too strong of a nose on this.

T- A blandish pale ale with some apricot. Apricot is pretty light and hits the spot. Very mellow and simple beer.

M- Crisp, light, pretty mild. Refreshing.

O- Easy beer to just drink and not think too hard about. This was the first beer I ever had, way back when I was 17. I like this stuff for what it is- I don't buy it but I'll toss back a few no problem.

08-25-2011 00:50:16 | More by ShogoKawada
celinett123

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

After having given another fruit beer a "less than favorable" review, I feel the need to balance my beer karma & wanted to write about something that my taste buds actually smile for.

#9 pours a nice gold color...although I must admit...I usually drink this one right out of bottle *gasp*.

This is a nice easy-going summer beer perfect for cracking open at a bbq on a hot summer day. It has enough body without being overpowering.

The smell and taste of Apricots is predominant but isn't sickening. I can't usually handle drinking more than 2 fruit beers, but this is so well balanced that I can have a six-pack, no problem.

And how can you not love the caps?

08-24-2011 17:44:39 | More by celinett123
MusicaleMike

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

I must say, I've had this beer before and never thought much about it. But this beer has taken me by surprise tonight! Poured my 12oz. can out into a stemmed tulip glass.

The beer is a fine looking ale, with excellent amber gold clarity and a decent-sized white head that pops over the rim of the glass and holds its ground for a long time. There is no fizzing away with the head, and as it slowly dissipates, I can tell that there is going to be some stickage on the glass.

The aroma is of apricots predominantly. Other than that, there is a slight hint of the malts beneath...originally, I thought I could smell a bit of something "metallic", but now as I continue to sit with this beer, I realize that I am mistaken. No metallic smell. Also, no hop aroma. It doesn't smell artificial at all, and it is quite appetizing really.

The taste is remarkable! Just the right amount of apricot sweetness up front, mixed with more light fruitiness from the English ale yeast. I detect notes of berries and some melon. The sweetness is definitely checked though by the hops. The flavor from the hops is non-existent, though the bitterness takes over where needed to make this a well-balanced brew.

The mouthfeel is just about perfect. The right level of carbonation, a soft rounded texture that really compliments the flavors, and the body is mid-range, so you maintain the drinkability while letting the consumer know that this is a fuller-bodied ale.

Again, this beer took me by surprise tonight. I definitely thought that I would have something mediocre, but this might be a new staple in the fridge...especially with such a good price! I wonder if it is because it is in a can that it made a difference? I think I will have to do a side by side comparison. Anyways, as for a Fruit Beer, it doesn't get much better than this. I'm not looking for fruit juice when I am having a Fruit Beer; I am looking for a beer with hints of a particular fruit.

08-24-2011 03:09:16 | More by MusicaleMike
AlexanderSelby

Lovely golden hue with a slight haze. Head was brisk and bubbly. Smells like fruit essence, not quite as bright as actual fruit itself. Taste is sweet up front dry toward the end and after taste is all apricot juice. Mouthfeel is very enjoyable with a swift kick of tart mellowed out by a wheaty smoothness toward the end.

I always have, always will love this beer. I am pretty damn sick of whack-ass-mcs grilling me about enjoying a fruit beer, and a mainstream one to boot. I fear that most reviewers' perception of what SHOULD be good/bad overwhelms their taste buds. This beer is refreshing, it is crisp, it is fruity/sweet, and all without being in-your-face cloying or un-balenced. All you pretentious Negitive Nancy's, get off your high horse and give this one an other go and understand why it appeals to so many.

That being said, this is not a perfect beer by any means. But, I do feel a little obligated to defend it because it gets so much flack. For me, it is always pleasure to consume.

08-23-2011 21:09:25 | More by AlexanderSelby
mooseo

2.95/5  rDev -13%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Semi cloudy haze with a golden brown hue. A 1" creamy white head forms which almost immediately disappears, leaving scattered streaks of lacing.

S - Moderate scent of citrus and malts. There is a faint apricot aroma that sticks out.

T - A sweet, pronounced apricot flavor up front. Bready malts with a touch of spicy citrus hops in the the back. A hint of sourness and bitterness in the finish. The breadiness lingers on in the aftertaste.

M - Light mouthfeel. Smooth, crisp and refreshing.

D - The fruity flavors, while nice, were a little too much for me. There was nothing special about this beer, but nothing bad either. This is an average brew that is very drinkable, making this a good session beer if you're really into the fruity apricot taste it offers.

08-22-2011 00:22:49 | More by mooseo
UCLABrewN84

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

I was surprised to see this in CA so I had to get a bottle to try.

Pours a hazy light honey orange with a 1 inch foamy off-white head that settles to a thin cap. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of apricots, peaches, and some sour funkiness. Taste is of apricots/peaches, bread-like malt, and a slight sourness on the finish. A slight funky acidic flavor stays on the tongue after each sip along with a slight bitterness. A pretty good level of carbonation with a crisp and smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some decent apricot/peach smells and tastes. However, both the smell and the taste are a bit subdued which makes the overall score lower in my book.

08-19-2011 06:34:08 | More by UCLABrewN84
shealoftus14

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

I didn't know what to expect at first, but I would say it exceeded my expectations. Pretty smooth beer and heavy. Had no problem with the aroma. Nice little kick to it that makes me want more. I wasn't too high on the aftertaste although. Can't see myself drinking a lot of them in one sitting but definitely one I look for when I just want a drink or two

08-17-2011 02:57:21 | More by shealoftus14
notchucknorris

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Orange with a very thin tan head.

S: At first, I got a big dose of ripe apricot. As the beer began to warm a bit, I started getting more and more bread dough and earthy yeast.

T: Some apricot, bready malts, yeast and a little dirt. I wasn't a huge fan of this. The breadiness really overwhelmed everything else in this beer that could have been good.

08-15-2011 22:22:22 | More by notchucknorris
Tee76

4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

Just bought the "Night Of The Living Dead" 12 pack "mixer" poured this into a tall glass.

A - Nice golden color with an orange tinge to it. Pours a nice thick head that quickly disappears but leaves a good amount of lacing

S - You immediately get hit with the smell of fruits and hops. The smell really gives way to what you are about to experience.

T -Tastes just like it smells, very fruity yet bitter. To me raspberry was the predominate fruit flavor, that and the malts and hops. Nice clean taste. The bitterness doesn't stick around for long.

M -Medium and VERY smooth, sits nicely on the palate

D- A great session beer! very easy to drink and it goes down nicely. One of the better fruit/vegetable beers I've had.

08-14-2011 20:27:38 | More by Tee76
olimpia84

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

I got this on-tap served on a pint glass at the local beer house bar. Good appearance, has a mysterious ale look with literally no head and lacing. I don't know if this sat on a bad keg but the beer had literally no smell.

Very hard to describe mysterious taste with random hints of medicinal herbs, citrus fruits and random carbonation feel on the tongue. While drinking this beer I went to the brewery website on my smartphone and indeed, they go ahead and use the word "mysterious" and "magical" to describe and label this beer and I must say I agree.

08-14-2011 18:03:17 | More by olimpia84
jondeelee

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

Smells spicy and malty, with an odd sugary scent, similar to raw pure cane sugar.

On the tongue, there's a nice undercurrent of Grape Nuts cereal-like grains, overlaid with a thin vein of spicy, but almost candy-like sugar. As the beer's blurb states, this is "impossible to describe"; the spicy/sugar mixture is intriguing and hard to nail down. Hops are light, leaving only a slight bitterness. The aftertaste is of toasted rice and grain, but for me this quickly devolved into almost a stale flavor that left me wanting.

Overall, I thought this was a nice brew, and well-balanced in terms of the relation between hops, grains, and whatever the secret spicy/sugary ingredient is. However, the aftertaste turned me off initially, and (the horror!) I had to quickly follow one mouthful with another to avoid it. It was only after I'd finished half the bottle that my tastebuds became inured, and I could savor the flavor.

08-13-2011 20:38:39 | More by jondeelee
tubacharlie

3.83/5  rDev +13%

A frothy head fills the top half of a half liter glass mug as a rocky top forms, then stiffens up a bit as the large bubbles below slowly recede while transforming into a thick layer of foam over the brew.

An intriguing aroma wafts from the mug, kind of like piney woods with fruit, as if you stumbled upon a cider mill in the forest. The ale is kind of a muddy burnt orange color, with plenty of random carbonation action keeping the head fresh.

The flavor doesn't disappoint, with a bit of sweetness up front, followed by bittering hops intermingled with citrus, green apple and cereal grain flavors. Extra fizzy in the mouth, this brew goes down well with nice hot pizza. Not quite a pale ale, as the label says, but worth the price of admission.

08-13-2011 01:47:36 | More by tubacharlie
abeerlovr

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

I've had Magic Hat #9 on many occasions but tonight's pour was sub-par, may have been an old keg or a bad batch served at the Mellow Mushroom. Unfortunate because this was one of my go to beers. It was served in a standard pint glass.

A: same as usual, typical copper, clear color, not much head, no lacing.

S: citrusy, not too much of a smell, some yeast detected

T: very yeasty, citrusy and a little medicinal, not sure if it was perhaps a dirty glass (soap residue) or bad lines, but it did not have the usual crisp taste.

M: not so good this batch, toughed it out and drank the pint, but it had a medicinal taste that I did not appreciate

Overall: disappointed with this pour though I have had good #9 in the past. I won't let this experience turn me off, but next time I may politely ask for another beer. Still will buy six-packs and stock it in the fridge. I've even had #9 from this location before and it tasted great, not sure the problem with tonight and will not blame it on the beer, this is just my review of this experience.

08-13-2011 00:57:39 | More by abeerlovr
dcall384

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +24.5%

A- Poured into a pilsner glass. This beer poured a cloudy orange color. It had about a finger with of head and mild lacing.

S- Smelled sweet with a hint of floral notes

T- Tasted sweet with a mild bitterness at the end. It had a mild fruity taste to it, but I am not sure what it was. It also had some carmel flavors to it too.

M- This beer had a dry feel with some mild carbonation to it.

O- I enjoyed this beer after doing yard work and grilling and it was really refreshing. It went down smooth and was not too heavy. It had a lot of different flavors to it and kept my taste bud guessing. I would recommend this beer to anyone who wants to try something different.

08-12-2011 13:10:16 | More by dcall384
Jerone

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

The appearance is a gold/straw with lots of bubbles and spongy white head.

The smell is of pear, honey and wheat with maybe a touch of hops.

Taste is the same as the smell with a nice pear flavor that I enjoy, but is a bit too sweet and lacking in flavor. Hints of wheat and honey with a very slight bit of hops in the end. Mouthfeel is light with a good amount of carbonation. Very drinkable.

It is worth a try, but nothing to rave about. If you like sweet, lighter beer, this one is done very well.

08-11-2011 18:34:01 | More by Jerone
Jeplacek

Maryland

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer appears light gold an pours a decent head. It smells very fruity with a hint of honey. The taste is very boring in my opinion, it tastes of wheat and a touch of honey. Mouthful is very carbonated. This is a very light bodied beer. It is refreshing since I'm sitting in a warm room, but definitely not a beer i'd rave about.

08-09-2011 19:39:54 | More by Jeplacek
k7sw

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +28.3%

A- I really like the color of this beer. It pours a slightly hazy orange-yellow not unlike the apricots it is supposed to have been brewed with. A 1.5 to 2 finger head recedes to leave a well-retained layer of foam that laces nicely down the glass throughout the drink.
S- Hops and fruit smell.
T- Not what I would expect a typical IPA (but magic hat is anything but typical). The bite and bitterness of the hops is nicely offset by the sweetness of the fruit.
M- Though it is nice at first the carbonation starts to die by the end of the beer and it seems to fall flat on the tongue. Leaves a sticky sweet coating on the mouth.
D- Very drinkable. Good six pack to take to a party or a barbecue
O- I really like this beer, I buy it frequently and enjoy it every time. It was one of the first beers I tasted and remains one of my favorites.

08-08-2011 21:38:13 | More by k7sw
Vengeance526

Louisiana

3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a clear light amber color with a few suds and not much lacing.

Aroma is fruity and a little grainy.

Tastes of wheat and artificial apricot. Not much else going on.

Light bodied with lots of carbonation. Not crazy about this one overall, but could see myself drinking the occasional one on an exceptionally hot day.

08-08-2011 20:19:35 | More by Vengeance526
NightProwler86

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured in a 12oz glass at 45 degrees and tipped to 90 to top it off. Lacing is actually very nice IMHO, and head retention is par. Two fingers of frothy off-white head. Beer is a not too dark brown. Smells very fruity as others have remarked, smell is quite nice. The taste is initially very fruity and far from a pale ale, but it bites with a bitterness while swallowing that gives it some pale ale characteristics. This beer is also a bit watered down. Mouth feel is creamy but a little too carbonated. This is a beer I could see myself buying again. The price isn't TOO high at $9.63/6 pack (after tax) in Florida, but I have bought better for less. Alcohol content is also very low for an ale, and with the carbonation, you'll find yourself burping a little too often.

08-08-2011 01:27:12 | More by NightProwler86
ZenAgnostic

3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a small plastic cup.

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber body. Thin white lace.

Smell - Weak. Slight honey sweetness.

Taste - Fruit. Sweet honey finish. Watery. Dull.

Mouthfeel - Soft. Light. Watery. Fresh. Moderately crisp.

Overall Drinkability - Refreshing. Sickly sweet. Good beer. No style.

08-06-2011 09:00:35 | More by ZenAgnostic
MrVonzipper

2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a very bubbly eggshell colored head. Medium retention and no lacing. Visible carbonation.

Sweet fruity nose nose with notes of pale malt, apricot, mango and banana.

The flavor is similar to a euro pale lager with added sweetness. Nothing like a pale ale. No hop notes anywhere. Flavor isnt bad, just very mild and Not like a pale ale. apricot extract is prominent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and a little watery. High carbonation.

Overall I assume I am like many others, and like in the future, just very disappointed in this beer. The bottle reads "not quite a pale ale" more like, Nothing Like a Pale Ale. I was hoping for a nice refreshing semi hoppy summer treat and got a sweet and watery beer that tastes like a euro pale lager with apricot extract. They should really describe the beer a bit (which they do not) on the bottle instead of misleading people by letting them think this is a pale ale.

08-06-2011 00:07:05 | More by MrVonzipper
ShrinerMcBitey

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Apricot - light, light copper. 1 finger of foam that went away pretty quick. No lacing.

S: Apricot, peach, fruity. It doesn't smell bad, it smells like fruit.

T: Fruit, apricot, hard to taste some very slight underlying malt. Does dry out some with a trace of hops.

M: Juicy then drying but not dry.

O: If I was on an island and told I could only have one beer that is predominantly a fruit beer I would probably roll with #9. But what the hell kind of horrible island would that be?

08-04-2011 23:18:49 | More by ShrinerMcBitey
jeremy2027

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

poured from can into nonic
light amber clear with little head no soo much lacing
Smells of Apricots and toast
Tastes real clean with not much malt coming through but you can very well taste the apricot
The mouthfeel is mediumlight not bad for the style
Overall I would drink it again if given to me. Not real sure if I would run out and purchase this.

08-03-2011 21:37:31 | More by jeremy2027
chocosushi

Oklahoma

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz-> Young's Pint
A ~ Poured orange with a blonde hue. . . 1" of cap that recedes leaving better lacing than expected.

S ~ Pale grains with peach & apricot. A touch of wet grass & honey.

T ~ Vegetal hops, Cereal grains (almost like Cheerios), & apricot preserves. . . this fades into honey-butter biscuits & rolled oats. Grass on the finish.

M ~ Slight stickyness on the mouthfeel. Semi-dry & Very light in body with a nice melange of flavors on the palette.

D ~ Great drinkability. I was surprised as I have heard (only) bad things about this beer... it was actually a nice fruit beer/pale ale. Don't seek out, but try if offered.

08-03-2011 00:46:37 | More by chocosushi
broken22

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Finally getting a chance to try this beer. I brewed a #9 1/2 in high school back in the day.

This beer gets a light white foam head during the pour that lingers for a little bit. I can smell the malt without even getting my nose in the glass. The beer is a yellow honey color. The flavor is light with a little sweetness to it. There is also a subtle flavor of apricot. The beers flavor is only really apparent after the swallow. The mouthfeel is light with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a good brew. This is definitely a very approachable beer for those that don't always search our the more aggressive micro brews. I'm just glad they are finally distributing all the way out here in San Diego.

07-30-2011 23:59:52 | More by broken22