#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
2.95/5  rDev -13%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Semi cloudy haze with a golden brown hue. A 1" creamy white head forms which almost immediately disappears, leaving scattered streaks of lacing.

S - Moderate scent of citrus and malts. There is a faint apricot aroma that sticks out.

T - A sweet, pronounced apricot flavor up front. Bready malts with a touch of spicy citrus hops in the the back. A hint of sourness and bitterness in the finish. The breadiness lingers on in the aftertaste.

M - Light mouthfeel. Smooth, crisp and refreshing.

D - The fruity flavors, while nice, were a little too much for me. There was nothing special about this beer, but nothing bad either. This is an average brew that is very drinkable, making this a good session beer if you're really into the fruity apricot taste it offers.

mooseo, Aug 22, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

I was surprised to see this in CA so I had to get a bottle to try.

Pours a hazy light honey orange with a 1 inch foamy off-white head that settles to a thin cap. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of apricots, peaches, and some sour funkiness. Taste is of apricots/peaches, bread-like malt, and a slight sourness on the finish. A slight funky acidic flavor stays on the tongue after each sip along with a slight bitterness. A pretty good level of carbonation with a crisp and smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some decent apricot/peach smells and tastes. However, both the smell and the taste are a bit subdued which makes the overall score lower in my book.

UCLABrewN84, Aug 19, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

I didn't know what to expect at first, but I would say it exceeded my expectations. Pretty smooth beer and heavy. Had no problem with the aroma. Nice little kick to it that makes me want more. I wasn't too high on the aftertaste although. Can't see myself drinking a lot of them in one sitting but definitely one I look for when I just want a drink or two

shealoftus14, Aug 17, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

A: Orange with a very thin tan head.

S: At first, I got a big dose of ripe apricot. As the beer began to warm a bit, I started getting more and more bread dough and earthy yeast.

T: Some apricot, bready malts, yeast and a little dirt. I wasn't a huge fan of this. The breadiness really overwhelmed everything else in this beer that could have been good.

notchucknorris, Aug 15, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

Just bought the "Night Of The Living Dead" 12 pack "mixer" poured this into a tall glass.

A - Nice golden color with an orange tinge to it. Pours a nice thick head that quickly disappears but leaves a good amount of lacing

S - You immediately get hit with the smell of fruits and hops. The smell really gives way to what you are about to experience.

T -Tastes just like it smells, very fruity yet bitter. To me raspberry was the predominate fruit flavor, that and the malts and hops. Nice clean taste. The bitterness doesn't stick around for long.

M -Medium and VERY smooth, sits nicely on the palate

D- A great session beer! very easy to drink and it goes down nicely. One of the better fruit/vegetable beers I've had.

Tee76, Aug 14, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

I got this on-tap served on a pint glass at the local beer house bar. Good appearance, has a mysterious ale look with literally no head and lacing. I don't know if this sat on a bad keg but the beer had literally no smell.

Very hard to describe mysterious taste with random hints of medicinal herbs, citrus fruits and random carbonation feel on the tongue. While drinking this beer I went to the brewery website on my smartphone and indeed, they go ahead and use the word "mysterious" and "magical" to describe and label this beer and I must say I agree.

olimpia84, Aug 14, 2011
3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

Smells spicy and malty, with an odd sugary scent, similar to raw pure cane sugar.

On the tongue, there's a nice undercurrent of Grape Nuts cereal-like grains, overlaid with a thin vein of spicy, but almost candy-like sugar. As the beer's blurb states, this is "impossible to describe"; the spicy/sugar mixture is intriguing and hard to nail down. Hops are light, leaving only a slight bitterness. The aftertaste is of toasted rice and grain, but for me this quickly devolved into almost a stale flavor that left me wanting.

Overall, I thought this was a nice brew, and well-balanced in terms of the relation between hops, grains, and whatever the secret spicy/sugary ingredient is. However, the aftertaste turned me off initially, and (the horror!) I had to quickly follow one mouthful with another to avoid it. It was only after I'd finished half the bottle that my tastebuds became inured, and I could savor the flavor.

jondeelee, Aug 13, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +13%

A frothy head fills the top half of a half liter glass mug as a rocky top forms, then stiffens up a bit as the large bubbles below slowly recede while transforming into a thick layer of foam over the brew.

An intriguing aroma wafts from the mug, kind of like piney woods with fruit, as if you stumbled upon a cider mill in the forest. The ale is kind of a muddy burnt orange color, with plenty of random carbonation action keeping the head fresh.

The flavor doesn't disappoint, with a bit of sweetness up front, followed by bittering hops intermingled with citrus, green apple and cereal grain flavors. Extra fizzy in the mouth, this brew goes down well with nice hot pizza. Not quite a pale ale, as the label says, but worth the price of admission.

tubacharlie, Aug 13, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

I've had Magic Hat #9 on many occasions but tonight's pour was sub-par, may have been an old keg or a bad batch served at the Mellow Mushroom. Unfortunate because this was one of my go to beers. It was served in a standard pint glass.

A: same as usual, typical copper, clear color, not much head, no lacing.

S: citrusy, not too much of a smell, some yeast detected

T: very yeasty, citrusy and a little medicinal, not sure if it was perhaps a dirty glass (soap residue) or bad lines, but it did not have the usual crisp taste.

M: not so good this batch, toughed it out and drank the pint, but it had a medicinal taste that I did not appreciate

Overall: disappointed with this pour though I have had good #9 in the past. I won't let this experience turn me off, but next time I may politely ask for another beer. Still will buy six-packs and stock it in the fridge. I've even had #9 from this location before and it tasted great, not sure the problem with tonight and will not blame it on the beer, this is just my review of this experience.

abeerlovr, Aug 13, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +24.5%

A- Poured into a pilsner glass. This beer poured a cloudy orange color. It had about a finger with of head and mild lacing.

S- Smelled sweet with a hint of floral notes

T- Tasted sweet with a mild bitterness at the end. It had a mild fruity taste to it, but I am not sure what it was. It also had some carmel flavors to it too.

M- This beer had a dry feel with some mild carbonation to it.

O- I enjoyed this beer after doing yard work and grilling and it was really refreshing. It went down smooth and was not too heavy. It had a lot of different flavors to it and kept my taste bud guessing. I would recommend this beer to anyone who wants to try something different.

dcall384, Aug 12, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

The appearance is a gold/straw with lots of bubbles and spongy white head.

The smell is of pear, honey and wheat with maybe a touch of hops.

Taste is the same as the smell with a nice pear flavor that I enjoy, but is a bit too sweet and lacking in flavor. Hints of wheat and honey with a very slight bit of hops in the end. Mouthfeel is light with a good amount of carbonation. Very drinkable.

It is worth a try, but nothing to rave about. If you like sweet, lighter beer, this one is done very well.

Jerone, Aug 11, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer appears light gold an pours a decent head. It smells very fruity with a hint of honey. The taste is very boring in my opinion, it tastes of wheat and a touch of honey. Mouthful is very carbonated. This is a very light bodied beer. It is refreshing since I'm sitting in a warm room, but definitely not a beer i'd rave about.

Jeplacek, Aug 09, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +28.3%

A- I really like the color of this beer. It pours a slightly hazy orange-yellow not unlike the apricots it is supposed to have been brewed with. A 1.5 to 2 finger head recedes to leave a well-retained layer of foam that laces nicely down the glass throughout the drink.
S- Hops and fruit smell.
T- Not what I would expect a typical IPA (but magic hat is anything but typical). The bite and bitterness of the hops is nicely offset by the sweetness of the fruit.
M- Though it is nice at first the carbonation starts to die by the end of the beer and it seems to fall flat on the tongue. Leaves a sticky sweet coating on the mouth.
D- Very drinkable. Good six pack to take to a party or a barbecue
O- I really like this beer, I buy it frequently and enjoy it every time. It was one of the first beers I tasted and remains one of my favorites.

k7sw, Aug 08, 2011
3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a clear light amber color with a few suds and not much lacing.

Aroma is fruity and a little grainy.

Tastes of wheat and artificial apricot. Not much else going on.

Light bodied with lots of carbonation. Not crazy about this one overall, but could see myself drinking the occasional one on an exceptionally hot day.

Vengeance526, Aug 08, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Poured in a 12oz glass at 45 degrees and tipped to 90 to top it off. Lacing is actually very nice IMHO, and head retention is par. Two fingers of frothy off-white head. Beer is a not too dark brown. Smells very fruity as others have remarked, smell is quite nice. The taste is initially very fruity and far from a pale ale, but it bites with a bitterness while swallowing that gives it some pale ale characteristics. This beer is also a bit watered down. Mouth feel is creamy but a little too carbonated. This is a beer I could see myself buying again. The price isn't TOO high at $9.63/6 pack (after tax) in Florida, but I have bought better for less. Alcohol content is also very low for an ale, and with the carbonation, you'll find yourself burping a little too often.

NightProwler86, Aug 08, 2011
3.13/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured into a small plastic cup.

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber body. Thin white lace.

Smell - Weak. Slight honey sweetness.

Taste - Fruit. Sweet honey finish. Watery. Dull.

Mouthfeel - Soft. Light. Watery. Fresh. Moderately crisp.

Overall Drinkability - Refreshing. Sickly sweet. Good beer. No style.

ZenAgnostic, Aug 06, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a very bubbly eggshell colored head. Medium retention and no lacing. Visible carbonation.

Sweet fruity nose nose with notes of pale malt, apricot, mango and banana.

The flavor is similar to a euro pale lager with added sweetness. Nothing like a pale ale. No hop notes anywhere. Flavor isnt bad, just very mild and Not like a pale ale. apricot extract is prominent.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and a little watery. High carbonation.

Overall I assume I am like many others, and like in the future, just very disappointed in this beer. The bottle reads "not quite a pale ale" more like, Nothing Like a Pale Ale. I was hoping for a nice refreshing semi hoppy summer treat and got a sweet and watery beer that tastes like a euro pale lager with apricot extract. They should really describe the beer a bit (which they do not) on the bottle instead of misleading people by letting them think this is a pale ale.

MrVonzipper, Aug 06, 2011
2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

A: Apricot - light, light copper. 1 finger of foam that went away pretty quick. No lacing.

S: Apricot, peach, fruity. It doesn't smell bad, it smells like fruit.

T: Fruit, apricot, hard to taste some very slight underlying malt. Does dry out some with a trace of hops.

M: Juicy then drying but not dry.

O: If I was on an island and told I could only have one beer that is predominantly a fruit beer I would probably roll with #9. But what the hell kind of horrible island would that be?

ShrinerMcBitey, Aug 05, 2011
3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

poured from can into nonic
light amber clear with little head no soo much lacing
Smells of Apricots and toast
Tastes real clean with not much malt coming through but you can very well taste the apricot
The mouthfeel is mediumlight not bad for the style
Overall I would drink it again if given to me. Not real sure if I would run out and purchase this.

jeremy2027, Aug 03, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

12oz-> Young's Pint
A ~ Poured orange with a blonde hue. . . 1" of cap that recedes leaving better lacing than expected.

S ~ Pale grains with peach & apricot. A touch of wet grass & honey.

T ~ Vegetal hops, Cereal grains (almost like Cheerios), & apricot preserves. . . this fades into honey-butter biscuits & rolled oats. Grass on the finish.

M ~ Slight stickyness on the mouthfeel. Semi-dry & Very light in body with a nice melange of flavors on the palette.

D ~ Great drinkability. I was surprised as I have heard (only) bad things about this beer... it was actually a nice fruit beer/pale ale. Don't seek out, but try if offered.

chocosushi, Aug 03, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Finally getting a chance to try this beer. I brewed a #9 1/2 in high school back in the day.

This beer gets a light white foam head during the pour that lingers for a little bit. I can smell the malt without even getting my nose in the glass. The beer is a yellow honey color. The flavor is light with a little sweetness to it. There is also a subtle flavor of apricot. The beers flavor is only really apparent after the swallow. The mouthfeel is light with a decent amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a good brew. This is definitely a very approachable beer for those that don't always search our the more aggressive micro brews. I'm just glad they are finally distributing all the way out here in San Diego.

broken22, Jul 31, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Nice golden hue, resembles a pilsner to me, an orangish tint too now that I've let it sit a minute. Nice and thick head but it didn't stick around for too long.

S-You can immediatly smell the fruit, I get peach, apricot, and some plum at the end. The smell has really made this beer so far.

T-Tastes just like it smells, delicious. Begins and ends with the fruit taste, a tad bit of hop bitterness at the very very end, makes me interested to find out at IBU of this beer.

M-Very light and smooth, nothing special.

Overall a decent, sessionable beer on the lighter side of the ABV universe. The first time I had one of these I didn't like it, yet every time I have another one I like it more and more!

Brutmasta, Jul 30, 2011
2.58/5  rDev -23.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass at low altitude.

A: Very good looking beer -- pours a two-finger cream colored head with nice retention and quite a bit of lacing. The beer itself is a completely transparent light amber.

S: Honestly just smells like apricot candy -- not the faintest scent of beer here.

T: Initially, I didn't get as much apricot flavor as I expected (not a bad thing). The first few sips started out with a malty flavor with an artificial-tasting apricot finish. However, as I drank a few more sips, the apricot flavor lingered and overpowered most of the beer taste.

M: Medium-bodied and dry. About what you'd expect from a pale ale.

D: I like to keep my fruit juices separate from my beer...

schlimenhaumer, Jul 28, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -29.8%

Big cooler full of ice. Lots of Magic Hat. That describes the people next to us at GOTV. Go figure, they are from Burlington!

Ok here we go with a beer trade. Gave them some of our Stone beers for their Magic Hats.

Popped open a number nine. Poured like a clear gold into my glass. Real white head. Wait a minute. This smells like fruit juice. uh oh

Taste? Oh man. You can taste the apricot here. That is allright except apricot does not go well with the beer here! C'mon seriously.

Wanted some nice hops instead I got some fruit. I am open minded but I am not digging this beer. It tastes too fruity and is not balanced. After one beer I am done.

beerdrinker4life, Jul 24, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a fun beer to try. It tastes sweet, almost like candy, and really brings a smile to my face. Sure it's not stupendous, but it's a good beer to have with other people. Even people who aren't crazy about beer may enjoy it's unique taste. Not really much to say other than that it's worthy of a second try.

leansean88, Jul 24, 2011