#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

12 ounce bottle, cap says " Give her growlers with her flowers"

Has an orange/yellow color, pours with a thin non lasting head, barely lacing glass afterward.
This is a highly carbonated fizzy brew, the descriptor is "not quite pale ale" It is a fruity apricot in flavor , crisp but tangy aftertaste is pleasant. I would suggest this as a refreshing summer beer, although it is available year round.

4.28/5  rDev +26.3%

A fruit beer thats even good for people who aren't fruit beer fans. I was hesitant at first to try this as the only other apricot beer I had tried wasn't very pleasant to the palate. I'm truly glad I conquered my past and gave the ol' #9 a try. A lovely amber color, not much in terms of head, and a lovely aroma that was certainly fruity but not overpowering. And then I tasted it and was immediately in love. A wonderful beer that I will certainly not be afraid to try again. And again.

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pours a hazy orange body with a sudsy white head that leaves light lacing.

S: A faint fruity aroma, of course I wouldn't say it's distinctly apricots, with notes of pale malts and light hops.

T: Simple straight-forward flavors of grainy malts, some fruits (peach and apricots), slight hoppy bitterness in the finish.

M: Light body; medium carbonation; crisp mouthfeel.

O: I have to say, I've never been too impressed with this beer. It is easy to find and the price is great making this a good go-to beer. However, it's kind of boring and I would rather drink something a bit more interesting. If I wanted something that I could drink a lot of at a party, I may or may not drink this, but I wouldn't go searching for it.

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%

I'm not a big Magic Hat fan overall, but I don't care what anyone says: I dig this beer... and always have!

"Best enjoyed by date on neck of bottle." Well, I searched high and low and couldn't find a date on the neck... or really anywhere.

A: Slighly muddy orange color, with a 1/4 finger head or so that stayed frothy for a couple of minutes at least. Some carbonation was visible, but nothing to write home about.

S: Fruity funk... sort of like a soggy breakfast cereal, but hell, I love soggy breakfast cereal! I got a strong scent of apricot, pomegranate and peach that was divine.

T: I know the motto here is "Not Quite Pale Ale," but I've always viewed this brew as more of a carbonated cider as opposed to hop bomb, due to how the fruit attacks the palate and doesn't let go. The hop character gets lost, which is fine by me in this setting.

M: Like I said, this is a very fruit forward entry, with no sugar buildup or fruit lingering afterwards. The carbonation was prickly and complemented the apripomopeach taste remarkable well.

O: To me, this beer epitomizes the term "guilty pleasure." Tons of people trash this beer on here and that's a real shame. This is by far my favorite go-to ale when I'm at a bar and there is nothing else worthy of my sobriety. I drink this beer often and will continue to do so.

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

A: An orangish cloudy appearance. Nice head at the pour.

S: Very fruity. Not overpowering however with a slight hint of hops, very slight.

T: Again, the fruit makes the first appearance. I get a lot of citrus and apricot. The fruit starts to wain as the beer warms. The beer could do with a little more malt backbone.

M: Decent. Thin mouthfeel with good carbonation.

O: A decent beer. I would drink this again for a change of pace but I don't know if I would by a 6pack of it.

3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Pours slightly cloudy into a typical pint glass. Good head and very active carbonation throughout.
Smell: Fruity with apricot and peach aromas very evident. Malts that may be there are overwhelmed by the fruit, though a somewhat bready background is there.
Taste: Very fruity from the outset with a mild bitterness trailing behind. This is again planted on top of a omipresent bready malt base. Aftertaste is clean.
Mouthfeel: Slightly below-average feel and the smoothness is somewhat broken up by the tartness.

Overall: Tastes somewhat better than the #9 I had several years ago. Pleasant tasting fruit beer that does not go overboard on its premise and melds well with the other components of this brew.

12oz can served in a standard pint glass.

L - clear orange/yellow color with a white head that thinned out but still left it's fair share of lacing.

S - fruity and floral, I smell the apricot.

T - floral hoppiness and the apricot essence are balanced out nicely with a solid malty backbone.

F - light, crisp and refreshing.

O - a good beer for a change of pace.

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

The smell caught my attention first. I would equate it to a pleasant cold vegetable soup scent. I know that sounds odd, but it was the first thing that came to mind when I smelled it. I did catch some grassy / funky notes that were pleasant too. Color was lighter than expected, no cloudiness. slight lacing as the head disappeared.

Enjoyed it, would have another.

2.98/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-light transparent amber, slightly cloudy, thin white head.

S-adjuncts malts with some berries. the more i smell it, the more i realize that it isn't too terrible smelling. medium strength

T-comes in with slightly bitter and bready malts with some tones of berries. its a very smooth taste, but its also very boring. there's almost no after-taste except for some berries.

M-very light bodied, dry medium to high carbonation with a dry finish

O-overall, i'm having a difficult time finding the enjoyment in this beer. its just boring. its not a terrible beer though, and i suppose i prefer it to the regular BMC crowd. this seems to be in the same realm of Sam Adams.

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

Tasted similar to robitussin cough syrup. I struggled to finish the glass and only did so in order to get another beer (and to save my friend from having to stomach it). This is only better than some nasty blueberry beer I drank last summer. Very disappointed.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

the color and taste were light and crisp like a lager with a lot of citrus flavor. It tasted like a peach/apricot iced tea, with less tea flavor. There were some light hop flavors, too. I liked it, but it wasn't what I expected. One that I would get again, but I'd have to be in the mood for it.

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance - About 2 fingers of head, lacing for about the first 5 minutes.

Smell - Grassy and floral scent to it. My nose might've been fooling me, but I felt as if I had smelt slight hops.

Taste - Grass and Apricots. Quite honestly as i gulped it down it reminded me of Pyramid Apricot Ale. Nevertheless, the taste of apricots didn't last long.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied and creamy at the beginning. Sputtered off quickly after that.

2.78/5  rDev -18%

It has a blah taste. Nothing really distinctive about it. No real aftertaste.

Definitly has an odd smell to it. Which I kind of like.

I bought as part of a variety pack. It is not bad. I don't think I would buy it again. But, if it was given to me I would drink it.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

This has been a long time favorite of mine. Its one of those beers where i feel like i shouldn't like it as much as i do but i can't help it.

Appearance - a half finger of head here. Laces to the glass decently. Straw yellow color and transparent.

Smell - smells of fruits and flowers. Smells light and crisp.

Taste - florally, hoppy, and fruity. Light lemon zest. Dancing floral petal hops. Seems very light and florally.

Mouthfeel and overall - light bodied. Very crisp and refreshing on the tongue. Makes my tongue and mouth tingle. Slightly caramelized. Always a favorite of mine despite it being so average.

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

Appearance: An amber, orangish color that has decent carbonation and a lacy head.

Smell: A pretty overpowering smell of apricot, which is good, because these types of beers usually are very hit-or-miss in maintaining the desired fruit aroma. I love apricots, which is why I give this a higher score. There are some scents of honey malts and hops, but not much else to speak of.

Taste: Disappointed yet again! For some reason, I cannot get into these types of beers as much as I want to. The taste of apricot and peach concentrate in inviting at first, but the finish ends up becoming too carbonated and watery. There's a sugary rush followed by an undesirable bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Luckily, the mouthfeel of this beer shows itself to be quite balanced. Other than the excessive carbonation, it is creamy and does not leave any strong aftertaste on the palate. I could see this as a very refreshing beer for the summertime.

Overall: This smells and feels much better than Dogfish Head's Festina Peche, but the flavor is very underwhelming. Not that it isn't good for what it is, but I hope to try a beer like this one in the future that personally satisfies me more.

2.35/5  rDev -30.7%

A-pours copper with a white head that leaves very little lacing.

S-Very malty with notes of lavender.

T-Much like the nose, it seemed very malty to me with a taste that I can only define as tasting like the smell of lavender. It was weird and I didn't notice much hop presence or really like it at all.

M-Good for the style as it seemed to be on the thicker side.

D-I will never drink this again.

Overall, this beer just seemed odd to me. I know people who like this, but it is not for me.

2.95/5  rDev -13%

Pours a nice thick chewy head. Aroma is kind of lacking, has slight hoppy and sweet notes. Immediately tastes like a slight cirtrusey fruity beer and finishes with a slight bitter note. Beer is easy drinking and could use a more hop forward taste to maybe balance it out.

Not much head but a rather rich mouthful. Malt is full flavored, with a hint of roasted barley, but more biscuity. Flowery, with a taste of sweet orange. Touch of brambly berry with a tangy taste. Nice malty note is the best feature. Very unassuming but one of the more pleasant lagers I've had this summer.

On tap in Manyunk, Pennsylvania at Raven Hill.

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz into pint glass. I think my roommate brought this back from a BBQ.

A- Pale, Fizzy and settles quick.

S- Apricots are sweet, not too strong of a nose on this.

T- A blandish pale ale with some apricot. Apricot is pretty light and hits the spot. Very mellow and simple beer.

M- Crisp, light, pretty mild. Refreshing.

O- Easy beer to just drink and not think too hard about. This was the first beer I ever had, way back when I was 17. I like this stuff for what it is- I don't buy it but I'll toss back a few no problem.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

After having given another fruit beer a "less than favorable" review, I feel the need to balance my beer karma & wanted to write about something that my taste buds actually smile for.

#9 pours a nice gold color...although I must admit...I usually drink this one right out of bottle *gasp*.

This is a nice easy-going summer beer perfect for cracking open at a bbq on a hot summer day. It has enough body without being overpowering.

The smell and taste of Apricots is predominant but isn't sickening. I can't usually handle drinking more than 2 fruit beers, but this is so well balanced that I can have a six-pack, no problem.

And how can you not love the caps?

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

I must say, I've had this beer before and never thought much about it. But this beer has taken me by surprise tonight! Poured my 12oz. can out into a stemmed tulip glass.

The beer is a fine looking ale, with excellent amber gold clarity and a decent-sized white head that pops over the rim of the glass and holds its ground for a long time. There is no fizzing away with the head, and as it slowly dissipates, I can tell that there is going to be some stickage on the glass.

The aroma is of apricots predominantly. Other than that, there is a slight hint of the malts beneath...originally, I thought I could smell a bit of something "metallic", but now as I continue to sit with this beer, I realize that I am mistaken. No metallic smell. Also, no hop aroma. It doesn't smell artificial at all, and it is quite appetizing really.

The taste is remarkable! Just the right amount of apricot sweetness up front, mixed with more light fruitiness from the English ale yeast. I detect notes of berries and some melon. The sweetness is definitely checked though by the hops. The flavor from the hops is non-existent, though the bitterness takes over where needed to make this a well-balanced brew.

The mouthfeel is just about perfect. The right level of carbonation, a soft rounded texture that really compliments the flavors, and the body is mid-range, so you maintain the drinkability while letting the consumer know that this is a fuller-bodied ale.

Again, this beer took me by surprise tonight. I definitely thought that I would have something mediocre, but this might be a new staple in the fridge...especially with such a good price! I wonder if it is because it is in a can that it made a difference? I think I will have to do a side by side comparison. Anyways, as for a Fruit Beer, it doesn't get much better than this. I'm not looking for fruit juice when I am having a Fruit Beer; I am looking for a beer with hints of a particular fruit.

Lovely golden hue with a slight haze. Head was brisk and bubbly. Smells like fruit essence, not quite as bright as actual fruit itself. Taste is sweet up front dry toward the end and after taste is all apricot juice. Mouthfeel is very enjoyable with a swift kick of tart mellowed out by a wheaty smoothness toward the end.

I always have, always will love this beer. I am pretty damn sick of whack-ass-mcs grilling me about enjoying a fruit beer, and a mainstream one to boot. I fear that most reviewers' perception of what SHOULD be good/bad overwhelms their taste buds. This beer is refreshing, it is crisp, it is fruity/sweet, and all without being in-your-face cloying or un-balenced. All you pretentious Negitive Nancy's, get off your high horse and give this one an other go and understand why it appeals to so many.

That being said, this is not a perfect beer by any means. But, I do feel a little obligated to defend it because it gets so much flack. For me, it is always pleasure to consume.

2.95/5  rDev -13%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - Semi cloudy haze with a golden brown hue. A 1" creamy white head forms which almost immediately disappears, leaving scattered streaks of lacing.

S - Moderate scent of citrus and malts. There is a faint apricot aroma that sticks out.

T - A sweet, pronounced apricot flavor up front. Bready malts with a touch of spicy citrus hops in the the back. A hint of sourness and bitterness in the finish. The breadiness lingers on in the aftertaste.

M - Light mouthfeel. Smooth, crisp and refreshing.

D - The fruity flavors, while nice, were a little too much for me. There was nothing special about this beer, but nothing bad either. This is an average brew that is very drinkable, making this a good session beer if you're really into the fruity apricot taste it offers.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

I was surprised to see this in CA so I had to get a bottle to try.

Pours a hazy light honey orange with a 1 inch foamy off-white head that settles to a thin cap. Thin rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of apricots, peaches, and some sour funkiness. Taste is of apricots/peaches, bread-like malt, and a slight sourness on the finish. A slight funky acidic flavor stays on the tongue after each sip along with a slight bitterness. A pretty good level of carbonation with a crisp and smooth mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some decent apricot/peach smells and tastes. However, both the smell and the taste are a bit subdued which makes the overall score lower in my book.

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

I didn't know what to expect at first, but I would say it exceeded my expectations. Pretty smooth beer and heavy. Had no problem with the aroma. Nice little kick to it that makes me want more. I wasn't too high on the aftertaste although. Can't see myself drinking a lot of them in one sitting but definitely one I look for when I just want a drink or two

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company