#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
3.47/5  rDev +2.4%

APPEARANCE: When this beer got to my table after being poured from the tap, into a pint glass, it had a 3/4" fizzy white head with virtually no lacing; what there was disappeared quickly. Body was a hazy amber with soft carbonation.

AROMA: Aroma was a light bread and caramel overlayed by moderate citrus and floral hops notes along with light apricot and nutmeg aromas.

TASTE: Taste pretty much followed aroma -- moderate citrus and floral, a definite apricot taste with a hint of nutmeg and some caramel and bread.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium body, somewhat thin texture, moderate carbonation. The initial hit on the tongue was a light fruitiness that moved quickly to a lightly bitter finish with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Body lacing was virtually absent and what there was dissipated quickly.

DRINKABILITY: In short, nothing special. I'd probably serve it to friends who don't care too much about good beer but other than that, probably not.

3.99/5  rDev +17.7%

The first time I had #9 I thought it was a hienous and despicable joke. Since that time I have been hateful twards this beer to anyone who mentioned it.

It was hot today and I wanted something refreshing, crisp, cool, drinkable. Bought the multi pack and decided to give #9 another chance. It poured nicely, clarity was great, and head was tight bubbled and foamy white. I tasted it from the mindset of a macro-swill alterantive, and it was really impressive. As a budlight (insert swill of choice) alternative it really does the job. Clean and balanaced without tasting soapy or hay-like.

3.3/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

standard, simple, and typical domestic beer1
This beer was suggested to me by a friend. When i was asking people for suggestions on a good craft beer to try, this was the first suggestion.
Appearance- was yellow orange to me
smell was a little fruity but quite pleasant
taste was pretty average. i expected more of an explosion.
mouthfeel- almost typical of other domestics (you tell me)
overall i think this would be a good summer beer with friends at the lake, and fire at night

1.7/5  rDev -49.9%

Was excited to try this IPA. It looked good from afar, but was far from good. First smell was reminiscent of Nyquil. The taste was somewhat fruit, a little hoppy and mostly menthol / Nyquil. After one taste I had to order another beer, quickly, to get rid of the taste in my mouth and the burning in my mind from this awful concoction. If you have ever considered drinking aftershave this is the beer for your, otherwise steer well clear of this brew.

1.14/5  rDev -66.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

This beer actually looks pretty good. Not a very impressive head but a nice golden amber color and very clear.

Take a whiff and everything goes downhill. I have never had this beer before but was vaguely aware that there was something fuity about it. One whiff let's me know that this is not going to be a good thing. The description here on the website says it'sapricot, the bottle says 'natural flavor.' I never would have guessed either. The nose is dominated by a nasty fruit smell that smells very fake despite purportedly being real. I can smell a little malt sweetness behind that but the fruit smell overrides everything else.

The taste is the same as the smell, albeit with a hop bite up front that quickly disappears. I can also taste a bit more malt in the finish, but it's still pretty much gross fake fruit flavor all the way through.

Even the mouthfeel is not good, as the carbonation bite does not blend well with the fake fruit sweetness.

Overall, I might give this beer a better score if it warned me anywhere on the bottle that it was a fruit beer, but even then the score wouldn't be much better. This is bad.

2.77/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A- About 1 finger of fizzy white head pours out of the bottle but dissapates very quickly. The brew itself looks just like apple juice. It has golden highlights and orange colors throughout. Carbonation is present in the body.

S- Strong apricot fruit aroma. Also tiny hints of grape, and a decent aroma actually of grassy hops.

T- The flavor is a bit of a letdown. Weak flavor of apricot, green grapes and faintest bit of banana. No hops deteceted from the grassy smell. Has a bit of an american adjunct lager taste, bleuaeck.

M- Mouthfeel is light to medium. There is some decent bubbly carbonation felt on the tongue.

O- Its funny to think that in college my friends and I thought of this as a "classy" craft beer. An ok beer to start with to introduce you to new flavors, but this is slightly one dimensional and bland for me.

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden/light amber body with a white head.

Light aroma, vague apricot notes with a dash of malt.

Soft. That's the word that best descibes Magic Hat #9. Its just so soft and approachable. Apricot is their and so is a light sweetness, but it does not taste artificial nor does it overwlem the rest of the flavors, like I assumed it would. Bready malt adds some "beer" flavor and there is even a crisp hop note, barely.

Light to medium body,high carbonation.

Magic Hat #9 is a fruit beer that's perfect for a hot summer day. There isn't much too it, but in the right environment with the proper expectations, its can be a pretty good beer. Balance and drinkability are its strongpoints.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured from bottle into clear plastic cup.

Appearance: Golden-orange color with little head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Hint of fruit, but mostly malty.

Taste: Fruity (apricot mostly) with a slightly hoppy, lightly bitter finish. Very refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Light and highly carbonated.

Overall: Tried it at a beer brew potluck event. Had been vying to try this particular brew for a while after suggestions from friends. I feel that for what it's worth, it perhaps might have fallen a little short of my expectations.

Regardless, I believe that it is an excellent sipping beer. It's light and refreshing nature and fruity essence makes it perfect for sipping during hot summer months.

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

A- Pale amber with a one finger off white head. Head fades slowly but leaves little lace on the glass.

S- Sweet fruit notes and little else, very unusual aroma.

T- Sweet fruit at first and then a little bitterness from a hint of hops. Very straightforward beer, some hint of malt and wheat in there too but hard to pick out. Finish is dry and slightly bitter, not sure if it is the tartness of the fruit or the hops that account for the bitterness here.

M- Slightly thin in body but well carbonated, clean and refreshing.

D- Easy drinker and at 5.1% ABV more than one could be had, but it isn't interesting enough to make me want to go back for another.

It's just not quite there.

3.72/5  rDev +9.7%

Enjoyed at the Wolf Public House in Ballwin, MO. Received beer from the Magic Hat #9 Distributor and there is no B.O.D. presented on the Bottle. Poured into a Snifter.

Appearance- Half a Finger of head, Semi-Clear with Orange Glow. No retention and a small amount of lace on the glass.

Smell- Strong amount of malt and wheat. There also is a slight orange smell in the background somewhere.

Taste- There is a hefeweizen, light pale ale, grain, and orange taste throughout the whole taste. The bitterness is medium and then crisp at the finish.

Mouthfeel- Light-Medium Bodied, Thin (watery), and a high amount of carbonation with bubbles.

Overall- I really enjoy this beer! Having had on tap many times, and always given out at St. Louis Cycling events, this was great to have again! We are looking to sell this beer at the Wolf Pub and there is no reason we shouldn't! Very good beer.

2.79/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured chilled in glass stein.

A: golden yellow, middling head; good carb streams; poor lacing
S: lemony, peachy
T: peach (added after fermentation); not complex; semi-sweet; not quite pale ale, but not quite ale, either

I'm not a fan of this beer, but won't look down on anyone who likes it.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours hazy golden yellow with a slight soapy head that doesn't hang around long.

Aroma is sweet and fruity with intense apricot and peach notes.

Taste is more of the apricot and peach from the nose. Some caramel malt and citrus hop shines through the general sweetness. Finishes with a clean juniper bitterness.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, and a bit syrupy.

Very unusual and full of intense apricot and peach. A bit prickly on the tongue. I can appreciate the intensity, and the novelty of this unusual beer. Worth a try.

1.99/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This beer pours a cloudy golden orange color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes quickly into fluffy lacing. The aroma is of berries with a hint of pale malt. The taste is of rotten fruit. Very unappealing. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer, and I'm really having a hard time getting it down. This is about as close to a drain pour as it possibly could be without actually going down the drain.

3.36/5  rDev -0.9%

A - Good initial head with some sudsy lasting head. Nice amber color

S - A bit on the fruity side, but not overwhelming in my opinion

T - An interesting mix of fruit and some hops. I liked the apricot flavor and its fullness.

M - Good carbonation and a little bit less development of flavor than I had hoped for.

O - A good take on fruit beer. Not the best I have had but still very drinkable, although I will say it got worse as it warmed up.

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

Okay, this is what happens when beers get a little too big for the beer community. People start to dis them relentlessly. But, I'm gonna do my best to give an honest review.

Lightly hazy amber with a good head and little linger.

Apricot and lemon and light malt are notable here.

Fruitiness takes over early, a lot of the fruit from before with a bit of malt and finishes w/ a light dryness.

Light body, good carbonation.

This is not a bad beer if you just got away from the fact that they are so big now.

3.32/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. I poured this Pale Ale into and it produced a hazy golden color. A nice two finger thick head and above average head retention. The ale left an average amount of lacing. The aroma was nothing that I expected, I was looking for a malty pale ale smell and I was surprised to get pear and apricot. My curiosity peaked i had to quickly take a sip and sure enough a semi thick pearish- apricotish taste. Light in body and light in carbonation. Very sweet but it has a really dry finish. What the heck is this beer? This one snuck up on me- that doesn't happen much- your expecting one thing and bam you get something completely different. Very good beer- I don't know exactly how its brewed or what it is brewed with but I was impressed. Overall- Above Average, not great- if your looking for a fun session beer- I recommend trying this one!

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle served cold. Top 1/2 was poured clear, 2nd half cloudy. I didn't realize magic hat bottles conditioned. From this month of this year. Absurdly fresh.

Pours a orange apricot color. White head with low retention. Easy enough to stir up again. Smells sweet and of dried fruits. Not my favorite smelling beer. This beer is better than I gave it credit for in the past. I used to love it in college. Then I kind of hated on it because I became a snob. And now trying to appreciate anything for what it is: it an alright beverage. Very soda like. Fruit is very apparent. Not too acidic, mild mouthfeel. I see this beer being a spring-summer weather or a sweet beer lovers beer. Low bitterness, low citrus hop presence.

I would be really curious in a #9 lambic style. I bet some sour/tartness would add enormous complexity to this beer.

3.61/5  rDev +6.5%

A hazy straw or orange color depending on the light with a fluffy white-ish head. Always love the bottle caps, this one says, "everywhere is walking distance if you have time." Smell isn't of spectacular notice, but I can appreciate the fruity aroma for what it is: a faint but good reminder of how refreshing this beer can be. The taste is that of faint oranges, or tangerines rather, wheat, and apricots. Moutfeel is mildly carbonated while remaining slightly creamy. Overall, not an overly complex beer necessarily, but very enjoyable for its unique simplicity.

4.17/5  rDev +23%

Pouring a #9 into a glass reveals a light golden beer with a little bit of a red-ish hue, and a nice layer of head. #9 tastes a lot like a cherry ale, and while I'm not a bad fan of fruit beer I do enjoy drinking this. The cherry flavor is not to overwhelming, and as the label says its "not quite a pale ale". This beer is a little sweet, and completely lacks any sort of bitterness.

Overall this is a beer I often come back to and really enjoy, can drink this beer practically anytime.

1.56/5  rDev -54%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Thanks to: jenray, SBALDWIN, and Beerindex helping beerthursdays to put some junk in my mouth in my first BIF. And also thanks to Urbancaver for helping me put somebody's junk inside me...

So, I pull this abortion out of the box, only to think, "really you guys, that bad?! Or that awesome?!" Then, I label it with name and person/people I should thank when I taste this junk.

Fast forward, I open the mini fridge, what's next? #9. It's my second beer of the night, but the number 9 was considered sacred for the Egyptians and Grecians, and is the hour many begin their workday - so I say fuck work, I'm having a sacred beer! Here we go.

A: Upon first impression, bottle looks psychedelic, notches indicate this would have been best before 10/2010. After removing the several revolutions of electrical tape from the cap, I pull off the protection of the hat. Standard sounds from something busting open with fluid. So, then I pour this hazy, toasted grain ale into a NB globe. A near single finger of soap sud head dissipates freely and resolves to a thin, broken sheet of the same. No lacing.

S: Smells like caramel malt. Yep, that's about it. Some sweet hues of fruit (over ripened apricots, maybe). But mostly just smells sweet. I think it's funny the label identifies this as an "almost pale ale" when it's a fruit beer from my understanding. Little bits of wood and cardboard breach my nostrils as well. Whatever, bad, not memorable for fucks sake.

T: So, I remember this one time when I was younger, and it was the first week of July. I had the chance to spend over $200 on fireworks at the Nez Perce Reservation (in case you don't know, this meant fire hazard level of fireworks). My poor, naive grandma hooked it up. I nearly burned down the forest that dusk, and then when I got home, my mom made me eat dry raw wheat toast (AKA bread). No butter, no nothing. My dirty fireworks hands were dusting the raw toast as I put it in me. So, take that, bottle it, sell it, expire it, send it to me, and that's what's in here and now my mouth/throat. Apricots elusive here.

M: The beer slides into the breadth of my oral cavity with ease and rolls around with medium body and low carbonation for the style (IMO). I'm no style expert, but this ain't quite right here.

D: I could always put the cap back on and send the rest to my BIF target. Who don't like sloppy seconds!?

3.31/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Poured fairly cold into pint glass. 1 finger light fine head, rich golden color, opaque

S: Citrus/Apricot, very fruity, nice. Nose is best part of this beer.

T: Slightly sweet and tart citrus and Apricot, dry hops, true to nose. Gets progressively worse as it warms though, need to drink fairly cold.

M: Solid carbonation and neutral ale MF, somewhat dry finish but not too hoppy. Light, despite color.

D: Average, low ABV. Nice hop profile, but lacking in depth overall.

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured a 2" headd which eventually dissipated completely. Hazy yellow tan color. Smells of seet malt, citrust, and apricot. Taste has more of the same plus what I'd describe as crackers or biscuits. Although there's lots of talk about the apricot in this to me it's not overwhelming. An upper end average of the pale ale and/or fruit beer genre.

3.42/5  rDev +0.9%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

The pour was a clear golden copper in color with a thin (1/2 finger or less) frothy white head that dissipated rapidly and had fair lacing.

The aroma was of moderate grain malts, a mild floral hop and an earthy yeast with a definite hint of apricot and maybe a little honey.

The taste was a little malty and had a nice fruity note in the beginning then shifted to a slightly bitter hoppy flavor at the end with just a hint of spice that left the flavor hanging around for a decent amount of time.

Mouthfeel was excellent, with the body being light to medium and a the texture being creamy at first then rather dry at the end with a nice lively carbonation.

Overall, the mild bitter finish and the flavors that were left to linger allowed you to enjoy the full embodiment of this brew. Nice and tasty and quite drinkable.

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Pours a golden brown color. Big head that recedes quickly.

S- Slight hop bitterness smell, with some sweetness that comes through for the most part.

T- Nice hop taste that gets balanced quite quickly with the fruit. I taste some orange, banana type of fruit. Very mild but very tasty as well. fairly balanced.

M- Love the slight perk of carbonation. hops pop your mouth but quickly calms down which makes this a good drinking beer.

D- Pretty good, good flavor and easy drinking beer. Try it but dont swear by this one. Still a good beer!

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

12oz bottle with best by date clearly stamped on the neck. Pours a very clear golden orange color with a one finger head with decent retention and rings of lacing around the glass.Aroma is of pear, peach, strawvberry an some other fruit with some grain, little hop presence. Tastes very fruity with lots of pear and peach, not much malt or hop presence. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and very dry, drinkability is substandard as the fruit overload makes me want something else. Not terrible, not great overall.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company