#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

It poured extremely pale. It had a one finger, pure white head. Moderate carbonation was present.

It had a slight rice like smell at first. There was little to no scent present after a moment of sniffing at it.

It had a unique taste. Not bad, but not good. There was a presence of fresh pea-pods. It was medium bodied. It had a clean finish.

Not a good beer for me. I did not find it very drinkable.

Rennpferd, Apr 08, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

Ok, I didn't think I liked fruity beers but this one really surprised me. The fruit is very apparent, but it's not especially sweet. There is just a slight twinge of hoppy bitterness in the finish that adds a nice complexity when combined with the citrus and apricot flavors. Very pleasantly surprised with this one. Never thought I'd consider a fruit beer as a session beer, but this one has changed my mind.

dustinTN, Apr 07, 2009

A: Nice, radiant clear orange with no appreciable head.

S: General citrus freshness with some just-cut hay thrown in there. Overall, subtle and floral.

T: Nice strong taste of oranges, apricots and nectarines. Ends on an adjunct note reminiscent of the rice flavor you get from products like Rice Dream.

M: Well carbonated and smooth.

D: Very drinkable; went down like juice, or an apricot/orange flavored Italian soda.

thekanna, Apr 07, 2009
3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Had a thick 2 finger white frothy head that lasted about 5 minutes before becoming a thin layer. Color was a very pale amber yellow with small amounts of bubbles rising from the bottom. Aroma was slightly sweet and fruity. Apricots/peaches was prevalent. Taste was fruity, but not overpowering. Was a bit thin in the mouth, but still coated ok, wasn't overly carbonated. Easy to drink, could definitely session this.

mountdew1, Apr 06, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +15%

Light, refreshing beer with a fruity taste that I couldn't quite identify. Thought it tasted like grapefruit. Checked the website and it said apricot flavored. Must have missed that. A decent beer that I would drink on a hot summer day, as it is. Would prefer a litte more hops to make this a great beer.

Seahorse, Apr 06, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

Nose is very apricot, or quite like canned peaches (which I love). Smells very pleasant.

Pours a pale-medium gold yellow color, perfect clarity, mild head. Looks alright.

Light toasty English malt with a definite apricot flavor. Light hoppy suggestions. Clean, crisp, and refreshing. Tasts pretty good. Feels pretty good. Nice carbonation. Quite drinkable. Not overbearingly apricot-like.

MrHungryMonkey, Apr 05, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

My gateway to craft beers. Very tasty beer for what it is. Its not an extreme DIPA or RIS. Its a pale ale with a hint of apricot. Very nice session/warm weather beer.

Not much head unless you give it a rough pour. Nice lacing though.

Smells kinda fruity. Pleasant, nothing offensive.

One of my favorite pale ale's. Very little hops, very light and fruity.

Carbonation is at a perfect level for me. Combines with the apricot and creates a party in my mouth.

I could drink a bunch of these...

DNICE555, Apr 04, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

On tap at Stub n Herbs. Poured a golden orange color with no head and no lacing into an American tumbler glass. Aroma of citrusy fruits and light hops. Flavor is lightly fruity. Yes, there is an apricot flavor, but it's light, hop bitterness is light. A bit watered down, light carbonation. really nothing good about this beer. I guess it is pretty drinkable and wouldn't be horrible on a summer day on a bar patio, but I would never buy a sixer of this, even it was available in bottles here. Next.

KeefD, Apr 02, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

On-tap at Stub and Herbs

A: Fizzy yellowish-orange color. Minimal head.

S: Faint floral hops. I mostly got a grainy, pilsner like aroma. Mildly sweet. Not too bad overall.

T: Mostly sweet malts present. I once again get the grainy flavor. There is another element of sweetness, possibly from the apricots? I really don't get a lot of hops in the bitterness or the flavor, but they are there. More of a floral flavor than anything else. I do get a faint citrusy taste.

M: Light, crisp. Finishes dry and goes down easy.

D: Really a pretty average to slightly above average beer. If you rate it as a pale ale (what the website says the style is) it really isn't that outstanding. I'd take a SNPA over this anyday. It is fairly easy to drink and has more flavor than some lighter beers. I'd try it again sometime, but probably not if I had some other good choices.

brewdoc75, Mar 31, 2009
3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass from a drought tap at New Amsterdam bar in Dallas, TX.

A: Pours some nice frothy head with decent lacing on the glass, this beer is a very pale beer, and has nice bubbles throughout.

S: Smells of fruit. Couldn't figure it out at first, but once we were told it was Apricot it was very apparent. Extremely interesting smell. Not sure I liked it a LOT, but it was different nonetheless.

T: It definitely tasted better than it smells. Lots of spices and dried apricot here. I enjoyed minimal tasting of this one from my wife's glass, but not sure I would drink a whole pint.

M: Nicely carbonated and has a great mouthfeel. I enjoyed this one.

D: It was good at first, but after a few sips that was enough for me personally. Probably would enjoy this more if it was colder, and on a hot summer day. Then I might be able to drink a few, but not the way it was served yesterday.

Overall a very cool beer I'm glad I got to try. This was definitely a unique one I recommend everyone to drink at least once.

thirdeye11, Mar 30, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

I had this on tap last night and found it quite pleasant. Not a beer that "wows" anyone, but a nice summer drink. Kinda fruity, no head to speak of and without lacing. But has enough malt in it to make it tasty, yet pretty light and crisp. Not something I will seek out, but in a situation that calls for it, I will buy it again.

bigdeuce, Mar 30, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -29.2%

interesting beer title, #9 has a lot of connotations that are strange to me. love potion? revelation? who knows. poured this out of a bottle into a pint glass.

darker yellow color in the beer, crisp looking. a thin head sticks to the side of the glass reluctantly, but retains a thin bubbly look.

scents of raisins, wine, cherry, apricot, but all with a very fermented aspect. yeasty and grain scents fill the nose after the fruity aspects die down. slightly sour.

very sour flavor. almost flavored like an adjunct lager, seemingly of corn and wheat. slight hop flavor in the aftertaste, but swallowed by a fruity raisin and apricot - type flavor. the balance is questionable, with the sweet and sour overpowering any hop or malt aspect.

creamy, full feel. fills the mouth well and retains a bit on the tongue, not dry, or heavy. very appealing expect for a mild over-fizziness.

not sure what this is all about. tastes very fruity, in the way of sundried fruits. not easy for me to finish this, and is a chore for the minimal alcohol content.

cnally, Mar 28, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Decided to give this one a try after hearing a lot about it since it came to SC. It pours a nice clear orange/amber color that I liked, it also had a nice head with some lacing. Smells and tastes of apricots or plums, but I hear the brewery won't say exactly what it is. I don't get that...I guess they feel mystery is their prerogative. By no means an outstanding or legendary beer, but an easy drink and a pretty tastey overall.

woodjm, Mar 26, 2009
3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

Pale golden with a slight, fine cream colored head. Smells like toasted grain and sweet fruit. Tastes of apricot and cereal grain with a light hop bittering in the finish. Light bodied with crisp carbonation, finishes dry. Drinkable on a hot day, a bit more hop/malt flavor would suit me a little more.

biggred1, Mar 24, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a copper/orange color with two finger head or so. Smells very citrusy and hoppy and of apricots for sure. Very pleasant smell. On first sip, I was a bit surprised on how good this is! It tastes as it smells, and is fucking delicious! Very well balanced taste. Mouthfeel is very smooth. This is a great beer. I think I am going to have to keep some of these in my fridge.. I can definitely see this being a regular.

brianlg, Mar 19, 2009
3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Hazey banana straw and amber colored ber with a nice two finger head to start, but recedes to nothing after a few sips. Bananas followed by peaches and dried grass. The taste starts chalky dry, but has some yeasty fruits developthrough the middle. The peaches mix with grassy hops. Makes me think of sipping watery peach juice through a hay straw. Dry yet fruity, but very drinkable.

scruffwhor, Mar 17, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +17.4%

On tap at Mad Maggie's in downtown Elgin, Illinois. Poured into a (thankfully not frosted) pint glass. A slightly hazy, orangey beer with a persistent thin white head. Lifted the glass and got walloped in the nose by apricots, followed by a clearing snort of cascade-like hops, all citrusy. Yeah, there's a liitle English ale yeast and malt playing around in the background, too.

A taste brings the more varigated fruitiness of the English yeast and the chewy maltiness to the front without losing the fruit and hops promised in the aroma. Notable for having all this English ale and fruit character going on yet not really getting unbalanced toward the sweet end of the scale.

The balance keeps this beer quite drinkable and not too heavy on the palate. The low ABV and the interplay of the flavors make this a beer that doesn't wear out its welcome and writes itself an invitation for the next pint.

MillRat, Mar 15, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Reviewed 3/6/2009 (Tap @ Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a pretty light, pretty clear body. big creamy white head, lasting. good lacing. sweet fruity malty aroma. raspberry. malty dusty taste, nutty. refreshing. hazelnut? apricot or peachy taste. somewhat creamy mouthfeel. Tasty.

jujubeast6000, Mar 10, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

I would say this beer is pretty good. One of my good friends is particularly obsessed, and always has a six pack around, and I'll admit - I do like it. For me, though, it's nothing to get really excited about.

It smells and tastes great. The apricot is an interesting flavour and addition to the brew, but you have to be in the right mood for it. It does not compliment food well at all. The carbonation is a little harsh and bubbly for my tastes. I feel that it hurts the beer in terms of drinkability there, but it's not awful by any means. My girlfriend is not a big beer drinker, but she really likes this one.

If you can get this beer for a decent price, go for it and try it out. Some stores, I've seen, mark it up quite a bit. If not, steer clear until you can get something else. You should never pay more than 10 bucks for a six pack of this beer.

JPA5768, Mar 05, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Slightly hazy, honey colored pour with about a 2 finger head...as the pillowy head diminishes, peaks form in the

S- Sweet fruits...mainly apricots...a little bit of caramel as well

T- Follows the nose...dried apricots...slight metallic near the bottom of the beer

M- Light and crisp...tight carbonation...no lingering malt or hop presence

D- Seems to be more of a summer beer...a little bit sweet...overall pretty refreshing

RickKrumenacker, Mar 03, 2009
3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: This brew pours a medium honey color. Head thickness is a little hesitant. Lacings and surface spiderwebbing present. Multiple carbonation strings. Prett nice.

Smell: There is a friuty presence in the aroma. Very light malt with no detectible hop. Kind of interesting. The fruit is not sickly sweet, but it is more of a peach/arpicot rather than a hefty citrus.

Taste: Again, the apricot/peach comes through. This is a little distracting for a beer, but for a cool drink on a hot summer day, the flavor would fit well.

Mouthfeel: This is a little akin to fruit wine spritzer, however there is enough of a beer presence to set it apart. This does not sit heavy on the palate, and is actually quite refreshing. This is a "chick" beer.

Drinkability: Interesting, and quick wonderful for a hot summer day, this is not a traditional selection.

Prosit!
Nikki

stockingcpl, Mar 02, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

On-tap at a local establishment

Pours a golden amber with a slightly chilled haze. A thin yellowish cap faded pretty quickly and left little to no lacing.

Aroma is dominated by apricots, obviously. I also get some peaches and sweet dry malt.

There is a decent balance between the apricots, sweet malt and citric hops. There is a spicy, hop character there too, but the hop profile does nothing to cut down on the overall sweetness of the beer. I guess I cannot complain, since it is a fruit beer and apricots are a relatively pungent, sweet fruit. It just didn't sit too well in a beer for me. Average to above average at tops.

ColForbinBC, Feb 28, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

Serving notes: 0.5L Augustiner glass, cellar temp
Aroma: Fruity peach aroma and sweetness dominates.
Appearance: Three fingers or head on pour. Head maintains a nice persistance. Crystal clear amber color.
Mouthfeel: Full body, light to medium carbonation.
Taste: Sweetness dominates from start to finish of drink. Peach flavor is very evident. Malt and hops barely enough to keep this beer in balance.
Drinkability: This beer tends a little sweet for a session beer but would be an excellent dessert beer.

Yeastcakes, Feb 25, 2009

After the first couple of sip I realize it's has some fruity taste in it. I didn't know it's some fruit beer after i am half way down and started checking out it's profile in beeradvocate. It' a very fruity beer mainly apricot. Nice head and stickly lacing. Very interesting beer with interesting label design as well. (All magic hat beer got awesome design label.)

henryspam, Feb 22, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

I don't know where to start with this beer...Apricot of course, but the other fruit flavors are a bit overwhelming. Magic hat makes good beer but this beer happens to be very average at best. The carbonation is decent, but nothing special. This beer really has nothing to boast, and Magic Hat could use some work on this beer.

kiddynamite920, Feb 20, 2009