#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
david131

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

A- Slightly cloudy orange liquid with no carbonation streams and no head to speak of. Kind of sad looking.

S- Some apricot and biscuity malts. Very sweet smelling.

T- Sweet apricot, biscuit malt, and a slight hop profile. Has a slight buttery aftertaste.

M- Creamy, but crisp and dry on the tail end.

D- A little sweet and fruity for my tastes. Kind of simple, but I could see this being a a great entry level beer for people getting into the craft scene.

05-13-2008 05:31:10 | More by david131
generallee

4.08/5  rDev +20.4%

It pours a pale golden color with a small foamy white head. The aroma is full of fresh ripe apricots and sweet grains. On the tongue it has a silky smooth texture with a pleasing fruity apricot flavor that's not too sweet or sticky. It works well with light malts and a mellow hop bitterness. This is a very drinkable beer with a great fruity flavor.

05-10-2008 14:15:46 | More by generallee
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a clear gold, weak, fizzy head and a distinctive fruity aroma. Flavour on the other hand fails to deliver in any intensity. There's still an undertone of some fruit, but it's weak at best. Otherwise, the beer tastes like a run-of-the-mill light ale with some moderate hops. Mouthfeel is OK - decent body and quite dry. Overall, a little bit of a different brew, but doesn't excite me at all.

05-06-2008 04:01:35 | More by allergictomacros
Gmann

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a clear golden amber color with an average off-white head that dissipated into a sparse cap. The aroma is tart and tangy with a big apricot smell. The apricot overpowers any other aromas that may be present. The brew has a weak malt presence, an almost grainy flavor, which is wisked away by the apricot; perhaps a touch of floral hops in the end. The feel is light and watery with moderate carbonation; finishes slightly tart and dry. I used to drink the brew all the time several years back as it was a stepping stone to better beers. I'm just not a big fan of the apricot anymore. The brew is light so it is a good change of pace beer and good for the summer. Need to put this side by side with Aprihop.

05-03-2008 23:32:19 | More by Gmann
joezak5

2.15/5  rDev -36.6%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; light and clear peach color, excellent off white head, nice lacing and ok retention.

Smell: Musty and sweet apricots and peaches; mildly pleasant but artificial smelling.

Mouthfeel: Light and sweet with medium carbonation.

Taste: Light malty with the sweet apricots coming through very strongly and again artificially.

Drinkability: I can see this being different and refreshing on a hot day for someone that hasn't had a real craft beer. This one just smacks me as artificial. I expect pure and natural from Vermont but get essense of apricot. I won't be buying any more Magic Hat and will be reading labels more closely to looks for hidden fruit flavors.

05-02-2008 01:12:19 | More by joezak5
mkabull

4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

The 1st magic hat beer I have had . Very nice aroma witha mix of malt some hops and fruit accents . A nice balance of flavors with malt and hops blending nicely . The aftertaste had a very slight but pleasant taste of apricots which is something I would not normally match up with being good in beer but I really enjoyed this twist . Overrall a nice change from normal craft brews with a good overall drinkability

04-30-2008 23:38:03 | More by mkabull
LukeD23

Delaware

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

I hadnt had this beer in about a year. I never remembered it as anything special, but I had one last night and man did I enjoy it.
Beautiful color and chrystal clear, no much head retention but I wasnt expecting any.

The smell was nothing special, slight sweetness not much hop aroma

Taste was mildly sweet with hint of almost a tart fruit finish, very nice blend of hops and malt leaning on slightly malty

Mouthfeel was light and vibrant, really felt alive in the mouth tartness hits on the front of the tongue and a short hop taste was left after swallowing

I think this is a very very drinkable beer, not to strong but tuns of flavor.. light enough for summer but strangely seems warm enough for a winter drink, I guess thats why its a not quiet pale ale.

04-30-2008 12:43:25 | More by LukeD23
jayrod20

Everyone always comments on the fruitiness of this beer but it is the perfect accent in taste and smell. It is not overpowering and if you gave it to most people they wouldn't even know. It's very drinkable and not too heavy. A great choice from Magic Hat. I would recommend this to anyone who wanted an almost pale ale with great hidden flavors.

This beer is more enjoyable on tap than in a bottle.

04-29-2008 23:57:58 | More by jayrod20
ChainGangGuy

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Clear, yellow body with a small, fizzy, white head. Some splotchy lacing on the way down.

Smell: Light pale malt scent with some citrus and yes, even some apricot.

Taste: More of that light pale maltiness, somewhat grainy, and with a medium level of sweetness. Fruity citrus and apricot arrive simultaneously. Medium hop bitterness. Watery, lightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation. A tad watery.

Drinkability: The ladies flanking me at the bar really dug it. A true gulper, if only to get to the next beer.

04-29-2008 21:13:34 | More by ChainGangGuy
argock

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Freshness date clearly presented.

A: Honey-golden color with 1-finger fizzy white head that reduces quickly to a rim of tiny bubble with spittles of lace.

S: Mild leafy hops with some spiciness and faint apricot aromas.

T: Very minimal spicy hops with pleasant apricot-grape fruit flavors. Sweet malts more prominent as the beer warms. This beer tastes far smoother and mellower with far less vegetable flavor in the bottle than on-tap.

M: Pretty smooth and not fizzy like the head. Light bodied with a faint sweet strawberry-apricot aftertaste.

D: Very easy to drink with some substance. I hated this beer when served on-tap -- not sure if it was served too cold, poured with bad equipment, or just tastes better from the bottle.

04-28-2008 03:36:34 | More by argock
hdofu

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

Strong smell of apricots, light brown color fizzy but no head. Taste starts mildly of wheat beer but overtime the appricot taste overtakes the taste buds. Medium bodied beer with a taste of apricots lingering afterwards? This is a beer I could drink more then one of.

04-28-2008 02:13:46 | More by hdofu
Stinkypuss

3.93/5  rDev +15.9%

A. Light brown with a head that dissipates quickly.

S.Wheat and dark fruits. Smells rather appetizing.

T. Definate apricot flavor. Some subtle yeast in the background. Initially fruity with a grainy aftertaste.

M. Medium bodied ale, coats the palate for a moment before subsiding.

D. This is a good brew and one I've had on numerous occassions. Definately a winner.

04-27-2008 18:46:03 | More by Stinkypuss
Kraken

Maryland

3.58/5  rDev +5.6%

Magic Hat #9 poured from 12oz bottle into Fordham Maibock pint glass. Vigorous pour yielded moderate one finger head that diminished very rapidly to a thin faint wispy coating, leaving no lacing. Beer itself is a light amber in color. Smells wonderfully of dried apricots, this may be the beers most appealing feature. Slight initial taste of apricots, followed by an almost hefiwiezn like thin body. Body lacks complexity or depth. Very clean finish. Decent session beer

04-26-2008 01:01:03 | More by Kraken
elpollodiablo

2.13/5  rDev -37.2%

This beer was disappointing on many levels. Magic Hat has been marketed really aggressively in our area over the past year, and I'd resisted the recommendations of friends and well-wishers because the packaging looked hokey to me, and I generally avoid pale ales whose bottles say "not quite IPA" and "infused with the essence of apricot." Against my better judgment, I ordered one last night and was summarily unimpressed; actually a little disgusted. While the beer poured nicely and looks pretty enough, cloudy and coppery, it poured with absolutely no head. Its smell was unremarkable, especially for an IPA supposedly infused with fruit. The beer tastes bland and watery with just a hint of an edge of disgusting rancid fruitiness; it completely lacks any of the bitterness or hoppiness that would qualify it as even a pseudo-IPA. Other reviewers here have mentioned a soapy or dishwater like taste, and I'd have to agree. The Magic Hat hefeweizen has this in droves, as well.

04-24-2008 14:13:33 | More by elpollodiablo
mecell2000

Hungary

3.83/5  rDev +13%

The beer pours clear golden with a thin white head that doesn't stay around too long. Excellent smell of fresh fruit and a very light malt/hop combo that is well balanced. I've got a good batch of #9 here and I'm glad I got a 12pack. Sometimes the Apricot taste of #9 is a little thrown off in the brewing process but this one is perfect. It literally tastes like you're biting into a piece of fruit you just picked off a tree. Very light bodied and nicely effervescent.

Magic Hat #9 is only 4.6%abv, so it's a beer you can drink any time; especially on warm spring afternoons.

04-23-2008 22:57:45 | More by mecell2000
Cyberkedi

4.03/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours a clear, orangy-golden amber with a decent off-white head. Aroma is rich and fruity, malty with strong strawberry component (and I love strawberries!). Flavor is strong and malty with a definite strawberry undertone. Very smooth and a little sweet, definitely refreshing.

04-19-2008 23:54:16 | More by Cyberkedi
kenco12

3.83/5  rDev +13%

It was an extremely fulfilling beer. It was hyped up by a radio personality, and found it on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Deaborn, MI. Had it for lunch with a chicken pita, and it was delicious. I had to actually slow down so I could enjoy it with my food. I'm not one to usually eat with my drink, but this I think enhanced my eating experience well. For one who does not partake in too many APA's, this one is a keeper for me. I had it in a bottle, and the tap tasted a lot smoother for me. I'd suggest having it on tap, but if you're "stuck" with a bottle, it'll still taste delicious.

04-16-2008 21:37:09 | More by kenco12
Gehrig

2.73/5  rDev -19.5%

Snagged on tap at Jupiter's, this did not leave a good impression. The mistake began at the beginning, when the beer came bereft of any head. Though with nice color--a burnt copper--the flat appearance and texture was a no-no that began this beer with a whimper. I enjoyed the smell more than the taste--nice fruit, some spice, hints of caramel mixed with berry--pretty good. While these emerge in various forms in the taste, it's spoiled with an odd, dishwater flavor. I don't say that lightly or with the intent to trash, but that's what accosted my palate. The taste was more than too clean, or even cleansed, but a bit like soap. What can account for that I don't know. Maybe it was the bar's fault that the beer was BOTH flat AND soapy. This happens, especially when places carelessly clean out their pipes and when kegs sit too long. Yet the fact remains that this beer was flat in texture, and soapy in taste.

Needless to say, this was one beer worth moving on from quickly. Magic hat, try more fruit next time. If the onus is on you, please lose the soap and make it better carbonated. There are elements of good beer here lost in a miasma of nonsense that should afflict no beer. Pity it did here.

04-16-2008 02:55:21 | More by Gehrig
nmyers

3.8/5  rDev +12.1%

A- nice thin white head, a nice golden color and it looks like little carbonation.

S- mostly malt and a hint of hops.

T- malty right off the bat with a touch of unexpected sweetness. Slight touch of hops on the finish.

M- Very light body

D- It goes down really smooth and would be a great beer on a hot day.

04-13-2008 03:46:58 | More by nmyers
ruckzuck

Georgia

Had recently at a bar. I guess they're new to GA.

A - small white head with clear, gold body

S - malt for the most part

T - sweetness from malt, some fruity tartness I wasn't expecting

M - light bodied with good carbonation

D - I personally don't have any desire to try this again, but I could easily see someone drinking a lot of these. I definitely understand the "gateway beer" description I've heard.

04-08-2008 15:57:38 | More by ruckzuck
giblet

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

a decent pale ale. pours nice with steady carbonation and slight head. settles quickly. nice aroma and pale taste. the hops are subtle. finishes nice with only slight aftertaste.

being more of a double and ipa guy this is good for pale but not the best. i will certainly look for more from Magic Hat.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

04-07-2008 19:54:39 | More by giblet
haver

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Wow what a strange beer. It taste a little soapy and the smell of opium incense. Good carbonation
and a oily finish. The warmer this beer got the worst came out of it. My wife picked up a sample twelve and this was not a favorite. I would try this again because this beer was so interesting. I like things to be a little different but this is a little funky.

04-06-2008 04:55:44 | More by haver
timbro81

Oklahoma

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to scootny for the opportunity. Pours a light golden straw color. Nice head that settles to a fine ring. Good carbonation flow up through the beer. Juicy apricot very noticable that mingles nicely with citrusy hops. Light mouthfeel. Much more of an APA in the mouth, I expected some fruity creation, pleastantly surprised. Hops keep the tongue alive then a balance of mild malty sweetness. There is a flash of some toasted grains in there. Ends with an after thought of a whisp of apricot. Quite nice indeed. Finishes somewhat dry. Good balance. Would be very refreshing on a hot summer day.

04-02-2008 03:06:39 | More by timbro81
phantomwyse

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

To be honest, this was the first beer that I ever tasted that made me think that beer could have flavor. And so I diverged from Natty...I had not had it in a while, so I picked some up.

A:Pale golden honey color. Half finger head of thickly packed bubbled. Faded after the first sip.

S: I still love the smell of this beer. Sweet, apricot, honey, and hops.

T: Lightly sweet, dull apricot, a bit of hops. Honey, rank fruit at the end -- but rank in a good way.

M: A little lacking. Light bodied. Weak, watery, with a tingle.

D: Nice and light, great for warm weather.

Overall, now that I've had many beers since -- this isn't as good as I remember it -- but, it's still enjoyable and thirst quenching.

03-31-2008 01:11:54 | More by phantomwyse
rgb2807

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

This is certainly an interesting beer. The pour is nice amber-orange color with a very small head. The thing that is noticeable about it right away is the strong smell, you can really smell the apricots. I'm not super fond of the smell, but it's better than no strong smell at all in my opinion.

The beer is good, but I'm just not a huge fan of the apricot taste and therefore I could never make this a consistent choice. It's a very sweet pale ale, and the hop presence I love to taste in a pale ale isn't there for me.

Pretty drinkable, and definitely a good beer to serve your friends who are afraid of good beer. I would probably drink this again in those circumstances, but I wouldn't ever choose to pick up a 6 of this.

03-30-2008 06:06:09 | More by rgb2807