#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
3.28/5  rDev -3.2%

A - Pale/clear yellow with a medium white head. Nice lacing on the glass.

S - Fruity apricot tang

T - Tastes like an average imported light beer as its malty dominant. However that fruity apricot taste kicks in subtly for a refreshing finish. Easy to drink. Not sure how much I paid for this, bought I'd buy a sixer to drink after a hot day or something.

M - thin and medium carbonated, cleans the plate well.

D - Very thin and easy to drink as it is light and on the malty side. Medium/high carbonation.

2.65/5  rDev -21.8%

I was expecting better. Looks like an Amstel Light (I was with someone that ordered one and I couldn't tell the difference between the two) - light with no head. Not much smell at all - the glass was freezing though, so that may or may not have been 'burning' away the aromas. Taste was average - at first I thought they gave me the wrong beer, but I saw them pour it from the tap. Very empty tasting. Bad carbonation. Honestly, it went okay with the burger I had, but there is no way I'd ever order this again.

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours a clear amber color with a nice one inch off white head. Decent retention and some soft lacing.

The aroma is decent actually. You certainly get a big apricot presence in the nose. It's slightly sweet with a hint of fruit extract. Very lightly hopped on the nose. Difficult to discern some of the characteristics of this beer as the apricot is really dominant.

The taste is not terribly impressive. Again, the apricot is easily discernable and quite present. There is a rather large malt backbone that comes through on the finish with some pale malting. Almost reminiscient of macro lager in the malt profile.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and moderately carbonated with a fairly fine bubble.

Drinkability is low to moderate. I've never been a big fan of this beer, though I believe they accomplished what they were going for. Also, this beer is a pretty good gateway. It seems most my "macro" friends all enjoy this beer to a certain extent. The flavor is not terribly appealing to me, though the nose is quite nice. I suppose I would get it in a pinch at a bar, but I would hesitate paying for this beer. Good thing my buddy Brian hooked me up with this bottle!

2.37/5  rDev -30.1%

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden orange. Best part of the beer.

Smell - Apricot hand lotion.

Taste - Apricot hand lotion. Not enough hops. Brings chemical flavorings to mind.

Mouthfeel - nice medium body.

Drinkability - I poured it out after four sips. Never again.

3.85/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle into Guinness tulip pint glass.

Appearance: Light amber, tan-ish color with a white head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a small lace.

Smell: Earthy and nutty with apricot hints.

Taste:Tastes sweet and somewhat fruity with mild hop spiciness. Surprisingly less bitter than the smell lets on.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than expected, with a sharp (but not overbearing) carbonation. Very refreshing and slightly warming.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Has a fruitiness unique to this beer for its style, but it's far from being a fruit beer. Like it or not, it sets itself apart in a way and is worth a look.

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a light golden color, with quickly fading head. Fruity aroma, kind of tart. Tastes more like a fruit beer than a pale ale. Hop flavor is very thin, but not a bad beer if not compared to my favorite pale ales. I would definetly take this over any other beer commonly found in a less established bar.

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

This was my first Magic Hat brew, I drank it straight from the bottle. It was a light gold color and smelled of fruit, well apricots really. It was very sweet and a little soapy, Slight hops but thats my opinion there was a little grain smell but nothing special. the carbonation was decent reasonably smooth. I had about three of these and then just couldnt put another down after a while all i could taste was sugar.

2.82/5  rDev -16.8%

A: Yellowish with a head that quickly disappears

S: Sweet and fruity, apricot and peach mostly

T: overpowering fruit sweetness, too much, no hop bitterness to balance out, therefore poorly balanced. The fruit sweetness tastes artificial as if added later.

M: eh, has carbonation but I'm struggling to get paste the taste. Rather watery and is what I would consider lighter bodied.

D: Better then a macro, but barely. I've given #9 many chances and can't bring myself to like it. Can't get past the sweetness and fake taste/aroma. I find that non-critical beer drinkers seem to like the #9, like macro drinking girls and such. This is more of a fruit beer then an APA IMHO.

3.66/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had this on tap tonight at Fox and the Hound in Mason. Notes taken during tasting.

Apricot in color and flavor with amazing lacing all the way down the pint glass! Highly carbonated. Light body with a syrup feel at times. Too sweet but good drinkability. Not a very good example of a pale ale, but unique none-the-less.

A - A bright golden yellow color...with a head that disappears quickly

S - Nothing special...almost a little fruity

T - Once again...nothing special...some undetecable fruit flavor (strawberry or peach)...a weak malt flavor as well

M - Very carbonated...smooth and watery

D - I'm not set on this one...I don't get an APA taste at all...I guess if I had to I would drink more than once

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%

A - Bright orange color with faint shades of light brown lingering. Thin off-white head leaves good lacing but has little retention.

S - A lively fruity aroma with a floral hint underneath. Picking up some peach or apricot in the nose.

T - Bwah! Soapy artificial fruitiness initially. Some light hoppiness to the taste but overall very weak. No real malt sweetness either. Just an off tasting beer.

M/D - On the lighter side but with a somewhat funny slick oily feel. Good carbonation level. Just not a pleasant drinking experience overall.

2.95/5  rDev -13%

Magic Hat #9 has become a staple in Louisville areas beer bars/brew pubs since it started being offered in the area. Just about every decent place in town offers it on-tap. It is one of my regular beers...on-tap.

While on vacation I found it bottled so I purchased a six pack for the room. Now I understand the medicore reviews

The beer poured a light yellow/orange color with a fair bit of haze. The head was pitiful. maybe a 1/4 in with no staying power. Still had the signature apricot scent but it just didn't have the zing of the draft version.

I know what I was expecting #9 to taste like-this wasn't it. While the base flavor was the same it tasted and felt watered down and was overshadowed by an almost metallic aftertaste.

I did finish the beers over a couple of days but I really wasn't impressed with the bottle version of what I consider a very good draft beer. It left me wondering if they make 2 different versions, the beer loses something in the bottling process or if I just got a bad six-pack

4.49/5  rDev +32.4%

Pours a pretty light and clear coppery color with medium-low carbonation. Damn, it smells amazing! It seems real peachy/apricotty that I just want to keep putting my nose into. And wow that smell is relayed right into the flavor. I nice medium-low bodied ale with a wollop of citrus. I'm not even usually super keen on fruity beers but this one is done amazingly. This is a pale for the ages. Although I'm trying this in early November, I can definitely see this being a spectacular summer beer. Light, crisp, refreshing, and delicious.

4.13/5  rDev +21.8%

Drank at RFD while on a trip in Washington DC

A - Hazy straw with one finger of white head and good lacing

S - Good fruity smell mixed with malt

T - Light sweet fruit (strawberry) body with a nice malt profile

M - Medium body with medium carbonation

D - Excellent stuff easy to drink and enjoyable. I wish I had more access to this

3.24/5  rDev -4.4%

Thought I might try this one on tap at local pub in Michigan. The color was a nice clear gold and almost no head at all. You smell some grains and definitely some type of fruit (citrus). I don't really care for the fruity beers and it was exactly how I expected - way too strong on the apricot extract flavoring. This citrus flavor overtook the beer which I was unprepared for and didn't like.

2.87/5  rDev -15.3%

i got a varitey pack with jinx,partcipation lager,curcus boy and #9

a - bright, clear golden body with a one finger thick off-white head.
s - fruity and floral mostly apricots
t - sweet and fruity.
m - bubbly ,very thin and dry feeling
d - i cant drink alot of it

worth a try tho

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I sampled this at Palmer Place in La Grange, IL. Great beer bar!

Served in a standard pint, the beer is bright gold with a thin white head.

The nose is of grains, light citrus and some plum.

The taste is slightly astringent with fresh milled grains, a bit of hops that add orange & floral notes. It is different in a good way.

The mouth is sharp with tingling carbonation.

Easy enough to drink may not be a standard session beer for some given the sharp bite of the carbonation, but I liked it. Glad to see magic hat in the Chicago area.

4.1/5  rDev +20.9%

drank this at the Boston Beanery in Morgantown, WV mere hours before watching my Auburn Tigers get stomped by the WVU Mountaineers.

a - bright, clear golden body with a one finger thick off-white head.
s - fruity and floral.
t - sweet and fruity.
m - medium and bubbly.
d - high.

3.52/5  rDev +3.8%

I had this beer on tap at Jackson's Bar and Bistro in Nashville, TN.

The beer is a clear golden with a small head that faded and very little carbonation in the glass.

The smell was light and crisp. There was a sweetness to it along with a citrus smell.

The beer is light-bodied, a 'not quite pale ale' as the menu labels it. A mostly clean finish. The start was sweet with a citrus middle with a balancing and smooth hop finish.

3.08/5  rDev -9.1%

I poured this one from a 12oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a slightly hazy medium gold color with a thin 1/2" head. The head quickly dropped to almost zero, but it was easy to renew a thin skim with a quick swirl. No lacing to speak of.

S= I found the aroma of this beer to be dominated by the fruitiness of the apricots and by a disturbingly coarse combination of grain and sulphur notes.

T= Obvious up front maltiness (definitely a brew with plenty of wheat in it) followed closely by a blast of apricot fruit sweetness. Mild bitterness flashes in just before the short and to my taste unpleasant finish.

MF= This had a decently good crisp mouthfeel and medium body.

D= I wouldn't say this is a bad beer by any means, I just think there are better beers of this style out there. Probably will not drink this one again, but it was worth trying once!

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden yellow with about a one finger head.

Smell: Mostly apricot and there is also a slight malt sweetness.

Taste: Starts and ends with a nice malt backbone. There is a strong apricot flavor throughout. Not much hop flavor at all.

Mouthfeel: Good mouthfeel with the right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable.

This is my first beer from Magic Hat. This is not my favorite Pale Ale or apricot beer but it is decent. I look forward to trying Magic Hat's other beers.

3.48/5  rDev +2.7%

Presentation: 3/4 pint bottle into a stein. "Best when fresh" notches indicate January 2009.

**NOTE** ABV is also noted at 4.6%, as opposed to the 5.10% listed here.

A- Clear and yellowish in appearance. Pours with ~2 fingers of white-ish head, which fades quickly, leaving a thin ring. Fairly heavy lacing.

S- Smell of apricot somewhat more pronounced than I was anticipating. Pleasant, but I can't pick out much else.

T- Taste of apricot is readily apparent, though not overwhelming. Lightly fruity, but certainly not cloying. Nothing memorizing, awe inspiring, or marked by complexity, but for what it's supposed to be, it seems to be doing it well IMO.

M- Medium/light carbonation. Crisp.

D- Fairly high. Light. Seems like a great beer to drink on a nice sunny summer afternoon.

Future outlook: Situationally likely to purchase again. Though not something I'd want regularly, I would definitely consider going for this on a hot summer day . A very nice and preferable "easy drinking" option to the standard macro-fare.

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: It poured a slightly cloudy amber tinged yellow body with an off-white moderate head that receded to a ring around the collar and supported modest lacking.

Sl: It had a distinct apricot aroma with a base of lightly roasted malts and white bready yeast.

T: It presented a sweet fruity malt front dominated by apricots and sweet malts followed by spicy hops that were floral and bitter.
M: It was light bodied with moderate carbonation and a relatively clean finish.

D: It was a nice unremarkable pale ale. It could be a good session brew if others in its class that have more distinctive characteristics were not readily available.

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

I reviewed this beer on-tap at Brixie's in Brookfield,IL and in bottles from a liqour store in duluth,ga on pleasant hill rd.

The beer had a golden light ale color with a vanishing head. The draw & initial taste were smooth, effervecent, and bubbly. It held a tart spleanded finish with a hint of apricot. I gave the beer an overall B, because it didn't really knock my socks off.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Deep gold color with one finger of white head.Spotty lacing.

S: Apricots and hints of malt.
T: Used to be so much better years ago. The apricots taste fake now. The malt is pulled back. I remember it almost having a spiciness to it.

M: Medium body. Always felt this beer was heavy for the style.

D: Easy drinking but only in emergencies. Bring the old stuff back.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company