#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Clear, yellow body with a small, fizzy, white head. Some splotchy lacing on the way down.

Smell: Light pale malt scent with some citrus and yes, even some apricot.

Taste: More of that light pale maltiness, somewhat grainy, and with a medium level of sweetness. Fruity citrus and apricot arrive simultaneously. Medium hop bitterness. Watery, lightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation. A tad watery.

Drinkability: The ladies flanking me at the bar really dug it. A true gulper, if only to get to the next beer.

3.45/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass. Freshness date clearly presented.

A: Honey-golden color with 1-finger fizzy white head that reduces quickly to a rim of tiny bubble with spittles of lace.

S: Mild leafy hops with some spiciness and faint apricot aromas.

T: Very minimal spicy hops with pleasant apricot-grape fruit flavors. Sweet malts more prominent as the beer warms. This beer tastes far smoother and mellower with far less vegetable flavor in the bottle than on-tap.

M: Pretty smooth and not fizzy like the head. Light bodied with a faint sweet strawberry-apricot aftertaste.

D: Very easy to drink with some substance. I hated this beer when served on-tap -- not sure if it was served too cold, poured with bad equipment, or just tastes better from the bottle.

4.34/5  rDev +28%

Strong smell of apricots, light brown color fizzy but no head. Taste starts mildly of wheat beer but overtime the appricot taste overtakes the taste buds. Medium bodied beer with a taste of apricots lingering afterwards? This is a beer I could drink more then one of.

3.92/5  rDev +15.6%

A. Light brown with a head that dissipates quickly.

S.Wheat and dark fruits. Smells rather appetizing.

T. Definate apricot flavor. Some subtle yeast in the background. Initially fruity with a grainy aftertaste.

M. Medium bodied ale, coats the palate for a moment before subsiding.

D. This is a good brew and one I've had on numerous occassions. Definately a winner.

3.59/5  rDev +5.9%

Magic Hat #9 poured from 12oz bottle into Fordham Maibock pint glass. Vigorous pour yielded moderate one finger head that diminished very rapidly to a thin faint wispy coating, leaving no lacing. Beer itself is a light amber in color. Smells wonderfully of dried apricots, this may be the beers most appealing feature. Slight initial taste of apricots, followed by an almost hefiwiezn like thin body. Body lacks complexity or depth. Very clean finish. Decent session beer

2.2/5  rDev -35.1%

This beer was disappointing on many levels. Magic Hat has been marketed really aggressively in our area over the past year, and I'd resisted the recommendations of friends and well-wishers because the packaging looked hokey to me, and I generally avoid pale ales whose bottles say "not quite IPA" and "infused with the essence of apricot." Against my better judgment, I ordered one last night and was summarily unimpressed; actually a little disgusted. While the beer poured nicely and looks pretty enough, cloudy and coppery, it poured with absolutely no head. Its smell was unremarkable, especially for an IPA supposedly infused with fruit. The beer tastes bland and watery with just a hint of an edge of disgusting rancid fruitiness; it completely lacks any of the bitterness or hoppiness that would qualify it as even a pseudo-IPA. Other reviewers here have mentioned a soapy or dishwater like taste, and I'd have to agree. The Magic Hat hefeweizen has this in droves, as well.

3.81/5  rDev +12.4%

The beer pours clear golden with a thin white head that doesn't stay around too long. Excellent smell of fresh fruit and a very light malt/hop combo that is well balanced. I've got a good batch of #9 here and I'm glad I got a 12pack. Sometimes the Apricot taste of #9 is a little thrown off in the brewing process but this one is perfect. It literally tastes like you're biting into a piece of fruit you just picked off a tree. Very light bodied and nicely effervescent.

Magic Hat #9 is only 4.6%abv, so it's a beer you can drink any time; especially on warm spring afternoons.

4.02/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours a clear, orangy-golden amber with a decent off-white head. Aroma is rich and fruity, malty with strong strawberry component (and I love strawberries!). Flavor is strong and malty with a definite strawberry undertone. Very smooth and a little sweet, definitely refreshing.

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%

It was an extremely fulfilling beer. It was hyped up by a radio personality, and found it on tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Deaborn, MI. Had it for lunch with a chicken pita, and it was delicious. I had to actually slow down so I could enjoy it with my food. I'm not one to usually eat with my drink, but this I think enhanced my eating experience well. For one who does not partake in too many APA's, this one is a keeper for me. I had it in a bottle, and the tap tasted a lot smoother for me. I'd suggest having it on tap, but if you're "stuck" with a bottle, it'll still taste delicious.

2.77/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Snagged on tap at Jupiter's, this did not leave a good impression. The mistake began at the beginning, when the beer came bereft of any head. Though with nice color--a burnt copper--the flat appearance and texture was a no-no that began this beer with a whimper. I enjoyed the smell more than the taste--nice fruit, some spice, hints of caramel mixed with berry--pretty good. While these emerge in various forms in the taste, it's spoiled with an odd, dishwater flavor. I don't say that lightly or with the intent to trash, but that's what accosted my palate. The taste was more than too clean, or even cleansed, but a bit like soap. What can account for that I don't know. Maybe it was the bar's fault that the beer was BOTH flat AND soapy. This happens, especially when places carelessly clean out their pipes and when kegs sit too long. Yet the fact remains that this beer was flat in texture, and soapy in taste.

Needless to say, this was one beer worth moving on from quickly. Magic hat, try more fruit next time. If the onus is on you, please lose the soap and make it better carbonated. There are elements of good beer here lost in a miasma of nonsense that should afflict no beer. Pity it did here.

3.76/5  rDev +10.9%

A- nice thin white head, a nice golden color and it looks like little carbonation.

S- mostly malt and a hint of hops.

T- malty right off the bat with a touch of unexpected sweetness. Slight touch of hops on the finish.

M- Very light body

D- It goes down really smooth and would be a great beer on a hot day.

Had recently at a bar. I guess they're new to GA.

A - small white head with clear, gold body

S - malt for the most part

T - sweetness from malt, some fruity tartness I wasn't expecting

M - light bodied with good carbonation

D - I personally don't have any desire to try this again, but I could easily see someone drinking a lot of these. I definitely understand the "gateway beer" description I've heard.

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a decent pale ale. pours nice with steady carbonation and slight head. settles quickly. nice aroma and pale taste. the hops are subtle. finishes nice with only slight aftertaste.

being more of a double and ipa guy this is good for pale but not the best. i will certainly look for more from Magic Hat.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.03/5  rDev -10.6%

Wow what a strange beer. It taste a little soapy and the smell of opium incense. Good carbonation
and a oily finish. The warmer this beer got the worst came out of it. My wife picked up a sample twelve and this was not a favorite. I would try this again because this beer was so interesting. I like things to be a little different but this is a little funky.

3.67/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to scootny for the opportunity. Pours a light golden straw color. Nice head that settles to a fine ring. Good carbonation flow up through the beer. Juicy apricot very noticable that mingles nicely with citrusy hops. Light mouthfeel. Much more of an APA in the mouth, I expected some fruity creation, pleastantly surprised. Hops keep the tongue alive then a balance of mild malty sweetness. There is a flash of some toasted grains in there. Ends with an after thought of a whisp of apricot. Quite nice indeed. Finishes somewhat dry. Good balance. Would be very refreshing on a hot summer day.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%

To be honest, this was the first beer that I ever tasted that made me think that beer could have flavor. And so I diverged from Natty...I had not had it in a while, so I picked some up.

A:Pale golden honey color. Half finger head of thickly packed bubbled. Faded after the first sip.

S: I still love the smell of this beer. Sweet, apricot, honey, and hops.

T: Lightly sweet, dull apricot, a bit of hops. Honey, rank fruit at the end -- but rank in a good way.

M: A little lacking. Light bodied. Weak, watery, with a tingle.

D: Nice and light, great for warm weather.

Overall, now that I've had many beers since -- this isn't as good as I remember it -- but, it's still enjoyable and thirst quenching.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

This is certainly an interesting beer. The pour is nice amber-orange color with a very small head. The thing that is noticeable about it right away is the strong smell, you can really smell the apricots. I'm not super fond of the smell, but it's better than no strong smell at all in my opinion.

The beer is good, but I'm just not a huge fan of the apricot taste and therefore I could never make this a consistent choice. It's a very sweet pale ale, and the hop presence I love to taste in a pale ale isn't there for me.

Pretty drinkable, and definitely a good beer to serve your friends who are afraid of good beer. I would probably drink this again in those circumstances, but I wouldn't ever choose to pick up a 6 of this.

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Overall not the worste beer i have had, but def not my favorite. It Poured a nice gold color, with a small head... that didn't last. Lacing was somewhat evident, and stuck around for most of the beer. Smell was kinda nice. Appricott smell but not overwhelming. Some hints of malt and even some hops. I thought there may be a bit more hops that either jkumped out at initial smell, or even some that lingered a bit, but i was a bit disapointed. Taste was very refreshing. Very carbonated, and was actually quite drinkable. More so than i remembered from the past.

3.77/5  rDev +11.2%

One of four labels in the Magic Hat Pandora's Box 12-pack mixer.
Pours from 12oz bottle with minimal head & lacing. Color is a slightly brownish gold.
Smells of grain (hops & barley) as well as a faint fruit scent, perhaps apricot.
Very crisp & slightly sweet with fruit. Hops are evident in the background but do not overpower the brew. The fruit presence is also not overpoweing as in many flavored beers. This seems to be designed as a quality thirst-quencher without an overpowering hop or malt presence.
Despite no head, there is carbonation which dashes around the mouth with each sip.
Very drinkable and an excellent session-brew, especially in warm weather.
Certainly more of an English-style than American pale ale.

4.71/5  rDev +38.9%

I know this isn't everyone's kind of beer but this is by and far my all time favorite beer.
It has a golden body that is also pretty clear. It has a fruity smell. The taste is like the smell, with a medium to full body being dominated by a tropical fruit feel. There was a crisp hop bite on the end. It is a smooth beer. I like this style and drinkability. It is definitely the beer that I always know if nothing else catches my eye, will never disappoint me!

2.43/5  rDev -28.3%

This beer describes itself as a "flavored not quite pale ale." To me, it tasted much like a Miller Lite but slightly better. Texture and scent were comparable to the generic pilsners, as well. It just didn't have a very clean flavor at all. I know several people who really like this beer, but I wasn't impressed. (Drunk straight from the bottle, so I don't have any notes on the appearance.)

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

Best by date of May 2008 on the back label of this 12oz brown bottle. The front label resembles a maze on a denny's children's menu at 4am after a night of drinking.

The beer color is clear and coppery with a thin tan head that disappears so fast its like magic. Perhaps there is more to the name "Magic Hat" the meets the eye.

Smell is mostly of malts and thin earthy hops.

Taste is initially malty metallic and sweet. It then moves into a watered down fruit flavor that reminds me of thinned out cough syrup. There is a malty finish that has an earthy sweetness that is just about average.

Despite the average flavor this beer is clean and refreshing. It is smooth and easy to drink, especially on a warm day and in my case just after mowing the lawn. However there is nothing here that is really intriguing or interesting. I would pass on another 6 pack but gladly accept one if offered at a friends.

1.98/5  rDev -41.6%

Not sure what all the hype is about this beer with friends and every time I go into the store? I can only say the marketing is much better than the product. Every brewery has there signature taste like adding hops or chocolate in the brew. Magic Hats signature is Dove soap. Every single beer from them tastes like a mouth full of soap. I have tried and tried other ones and the same aftertaste is there. Explaining everyones reviews that they couldn't drink more than 1 of them. It must be the MAGIC I'm tasting?

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Interesting. Without knowing what makes this such a "not quite pale" ale, I'm going to take a stab at it. The pour brings a sparkling clear golden / orange hue with nice head formation and retention; mild lacing on the glass. Aromas of sweet malts, fresh oranges, fruity esters, but only a mild hint of hops. Flavors bring out a well-attenuated malt character that dominates the beer because of a lack of meaningful hop additions. Decorated with sweet orange peel, hints of ginger, cloves, and some spicy esters. Apricots it is! These flavors come apart too quickly and lack meldedness, but it seems pleasant enough. The mouthfeel is moderate for a pale ale, but lacks depth, breadiness, and overall heartiness. Finishes sweet and spicy as expected. The sweetness works on you towards the end of the glass, making me switch up to something else.

3.43/5  rDev +1.2%

A bit murky dark gold appearance with a thick head that laces nicely eventually. The aromas were wicked strong: raspberry, peach, citrus mixed with wheat. Sharp taste of the above flavors with a bit more malt and wheat to it. The mouthfeel gives it a good crispness but there is this lagging watery texture to the drink. Overall, a little too strong but I do like where it is going with this.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company