#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Bottle poured to pint glass.

A: slightly cloudy deep yellow, 1 finger fast thinning head
S: very fruity, malty
T: bitter, bland, watery, light hoppyness
M: smooth all the way through, clean, not so great aftertaste
D: decent

Decent beer, probably not something I'll reach for again.
Give it a shot.

1.69/5  rDev -50.1%

$1.70 for a 12oz bottle, newly available in Michigan, here at Jack's. Pours out to a crystal clear orange amber, forming a modest white head which quickly recedes. No lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma opens with apricots, followed by some dank wet cardboard. The mouthfeel has a crisp carbonation, but also has a ruddy oxidized twang. The taste is pretty bland, quite dry, little to no residual sugars, chemical bitterness, cardboard, wet newspaper.

Pretty dang awful. Horrible mouthfeel, horrible taste, horrible aroma. This one is going down the drain.

4.16/5  rDev +22.7%

3/4 Pint Non-returnable out of pandoras box variety pack

Pours (i mean beautiful too) glorious golden brown crystal clear and light on the carbination.

smells like whoa. apricot and "not quite pale" grainy scent.

like apricot baby. yummy sweet apricot. for a flavored ale, most are wheat beers what give you a heaping headache and cant have more than a few. this isnt as bad and could finish more than my share.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks goes out to jwc215 for this one.

Pours a golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, some sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty, nice little touch of apricot, and caramel. The taste is slightly bitter/sweet, malty, slight apricot, and caramel. Medium body. Drinkable, not too bad of a beer.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Had this On-Tap at a local Italian restaurant (Anthony's). My second beer of the evening.

It arrived in a tall curved glass with hardly a ring of foam (I wish I could find a bartender that knew how to pour a beer!). The beer itself was a copper color and virtually clear.

Smell: WOAH!... what's that?... FRUIT?! Like apricots and blueberries. Some lightly toasted malt in the nose as well.

Taste: More fruity than anything... on the sweet side: Apricots and berries....and malt. On the bitter side: some grassy hops... The sweet side wins dominance.... I wouldn't call this balanced.

MF: Not very robust or creamy. A little too fizzy for my taste.

Drinkability: Probably not something that I would try again... not a bad beer.... just not my thing...

3.47/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

crystal clear orangy amber. some head, but quickly fades into just a few wisps of thin foam. lacing is negligible.

definitely a fruity, apricot-infused aroma. a bit of yeastiness.

also yeasty in the flavor, but again with the fruit infusion. interesting, but not my preference. hops are pretty subtle here, and classifying it as an APA is a little out of place.

crisp carbonation, not too thin, slight acidic astringency.

refreshing, but really just a novelty to me. "not quite pale ale" is an understatement. more like a slightly hoppier than avg fruit beer.

4.35/5  rDev +28.3%

Purchased at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA.

I love this beer as i have had it numerous times. It has to be one of my favorites especially in a variety pack.

A-clear golden in color with a one finger lace. The head dissipates very quickly as does the lacey whiteness.

S-it has a hint of apricots and hops. A sweet yet bitter smell.

T-the taste also has a hint of apricot but it has more o f a mild hoppy taste.

M-fresh, crispy. It kindo f reminds me of eating iceberg lettuce. The freshness.

D-i recommend a case of this. Good beer and i could drink it all the time.

2.7/5  rDev -20.4%

#9 has a clear, Golden-colored body with a small white head that has decent retention, but doesn't yield any lacing.

Smells like pale, cracker-like malt and apricot.

#9 is fairly straight forward, it pairs pale malt that tastes like cracker with a huge, sticky sweet blast of artificial tasting apricots. A hint of bittering hops also float around somewhere in there. That may sound like a negative assessment, and maybe it is, but I will admit that the slightly cloying sweetness of #9 is probably what Magic Hat is going for. I'm sure this beer drives most of their revenues, so

No complaints in mouthfeel, both the carbonation and body are fairly well but nothing spectacular.

As fruity beers go #9 isn't terrible, and if you really want a beer it's better than macros and can be found in bars that are macro-only. I'm sure #9 drives most of Magic Hat's revenues, so I guess it is what it is.

3.9/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Golden Copper coloring with a thin white head. The smell is of sweet malts and an apricot flavoring that is kind of interesting to the senses. The taste is of pale malts and some light hoppy bitterness followed by a sharp apricot taste at the end. It is an interesting flavor and I really like this beer. The mouthfeel is good for a beer like this, but I would say it could use a bit more carbonation to help with the lighter flavoring. This is a very drinkable beer and it is definately worth a try.

4.05/5  rDev +19.5%

12oz bottle into nonic.

Crystal clear honey hue with a thin off white head. Stringy lacing along the glass.

The aroma is very clean, with a sweet fruit smell coming through. Not much hop aroma to speak of.

The malts are continuous throughout, giving a grainy backbone for the sweet fruit and mild hoppiness that comes in at the end. Ligher bodied with a high amount of carbonation, giving a fizzy feel. The finish is very quick and dry, with some of the grain lasting for only a bit.

I think I found another great all-around beer for any day. The low-mid ABV makes it a great session beer. The fruit added is a nice touch, and doesn't over-do it. Recommended.

3.57/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer poured a light copper color with almost no head. The smell is definitely fruity with a large amount of apricot and a trace of floral hops. The taste starts off sweet with a hint of fruity apricot taste that is finished by a very muted hops bite that is there but not bitter. The mouthfeel has a medium amount of carbonation that helps make it it very drinkable. Definitely a good beer to have two or three of on hand just in case.

3.2/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured a medium straw color with an almost orange hue to it. Nice head and lacing observed.
Smell was very fruity, with fruity hops dominating the nose. Some mild maltiness noticed as well, the backing of malt was minimal.

Taste as well was fairly ordinary. Some citrusy hops noted and a mild malt backing. Pretty clean in the end.
I have had this beer in bottles before, and definitely prefer the draft version.

3.51/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a clear reddish copper color with a small amount of head that dissipated quickly. Sweet malty nose with slight fruit notes. Feels crisp and light on the mouth. Slightly sweet taste that is definitely not hoppy. Has a malty smooth finish that resembles that of an American wheat beer.
The title of "not quite pale ale" is correct on this one. It's definitely an ale, but due to the lack of hops, it resembles a malty wheat beer more so than a typical American pale ale. This is not a bad thing, my point is simply that it's difficult to place this beer in a definitive style category.

3.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

#9 is my first Magic Hat. I saw the add in BA mag,so the Fiest of Fools sample pack and then saw some dislikes of the brewering efforts in the forum, oh well, here we go!

It pours a nice looking copper color. White head that pillows and maintains well enough to lace.

The aroma has malts and a hint of wispy apricot.

The taste has just alittle pale ale charactor. The hops are slight and mild. Malts carry the brew with the apricot not far behind.

The mouth is crisp and left slightly dry.

Drinkable, sure for what it is. I thought this would be a fruit beer. Apricot adds that little something to at least treat it as such. I happen to like apricot and therefore the beer is not bad, but enjoyed in its proper context.

2.83/5  rDev -16.5%

Bottle Inspection: Best before Mar 08 (sampled Jan 08)

Aroma: Grape soda, heavy floral, lilac maybe, little orange peel, hint of wort. I can get some of the apricot now that I am looking for it.

Appearance: Bright gold amber glass with a thin spotty cover that gives up some lacing.

Flavor: Well, this one is different. Roughly the same elements as in the nose, more of a vegetal note though, almost like a chili pepper. The apricot comes off as a little artificial, or washed out.

Mouthfeel: Very soda like, heavily carbonated for the lighter body.

Overall Impression: Not really doing much for me. It’s like it got caught between a pale ale and a fruit ale. I’m not up for another.

3.9/5  rDev +15%

Poured into a glass, a medium sized head forms.
The color is amber.
The smell is floral with chocolate tones.
The taste is of apricots and of something that feels as though it has been burnt a little bit, but it still is very good, different than most beers out there.
The MF in light and complex, a pleasure to twirl around the mouth.
The drinkability is a little better than average. A great beer to introduce to someone who is looking to expand their brew horizons and has only had a few brands in their past.

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

A- Light caramel color with 1/4" of off white head. Transparent.

S- Some sour hop aroma, with the famed apricots overpowering everything else. There is a smell there too that I relate to waffles? Weird.

T- Taste the apricots for sure on top of a light caramel malt backbone. Finish is of hops, but not too bitter at all. The lingering aftertaste is like an apricot perfume.

M- Medium to thin with high carbonation and a nice sting to it.

D- The perfumy apricot makes it a little low on the "quaffability" scale.

Overall- Interesting spin on a common style. I enjoyed it, and will pick up some when I am in an area that sells it. Thanks to ineedabeerhere for trading this one to me.

1.78/5  rDev -47.5%

Looking around at the beer selection on tap at the NorVa in Norfolk during a concert recently, I realized this was the only beer they had that I had never actually tried. I was reluctant @ $5, but why not? Or so I thought...served in a plastic cup.

A - Hard to tell really in my red cup, but it appears to be dark orange. Decent bit of froth on the top. Couldn't tell how it would lace. Doesn't look bad at all.

S - Something peculiar, ripe fruits mostly. Some fruit punch-like blend of citrus and a slight touch of fermentation. Oddly reminiscent of peach schnapps.

T - Gah! Rotted fruit notes, and, that's about it. Some beer like qualities I suppose, but this simply wasn't pleasant.

M - Light bodied, medium carbonation level, acrid aftertaste.

D - Negative on this one. Will not revisit. No reco's here. For the record, their taps weren't very bad, after this disaster, I tried several other brews on tap and found not one to have any off flavors. Unless the keg had been improperly handled, I simply did not like this brew.

3.24/5  rDev -4.4%

Pours a 1 finger head that dissipates not long down the glass.

Apricot and malty smell. Somewhat floral and a little soapy.

Not remotely hoppy at all. Like a dumbed down ale with apricot extract. Kind of soapy. Is it just me or did I get a bad sample?

Something is just not good with this beer. It leaves a soapy flavor in my mouth that's just horrible. It's just a miss for me.

Thanks to whoever gave me the sample, I believe it was pimpp.

2.39/5  rDev -29.5%

Orange/gold with a nice head of large caliber bubbles. This beer appears OK but appearances can be deceiving. The smell reminds me of when my mom would give herself a home perm in the late 70's/early 80's. An odd combination of chemicals and lawnmower grass stick out in my opinion. The taste is better than the smell. Light, hint-of-fruit ale flavor. Perhaps a species of hops that I'm not entirely familiar with is present also. It's quite watery and seems to coat my tounge with sour unpleasantness. I don't know... maybe I'm not a fan of the style of beer but this ain't too good.

2.38/5  rDev -29.8%

Pale amber pour with a weak off white head that leaves no lace.

Aroma is doninated by artificial fruitwhich is slightly sour and a wierd wet grain note.

Flavor is very light macro-ish malt and artificial peach or apricot. There's a stale, sourness to it with light metallic undertones. I have had this beer many times and it always tastes like this.

The mouthfeel is just above light, amply carbonated and thouroughly unappealing to this beer drinker.

3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured as a clear orange / golden caramel color with a pale head that dissipates pretty quickly - overall impression is that it looks better than a typical beer but just barely.

Smelled like peaches and sugar, definitely didn't smell like a beer but this is brewed with apricot extracts, so that's understandable.

Tasted like apricot, peaches, caramel, anise, and some touches of orange. There's a hit of bitterness evident to remind you that you're drinking a beer.

Mouthfeel is crisp at first with an apricot finish but the fruit aftertaste doesn't linger, which is surprising.

Drinkability is pretty good for a beer or two but I certainly couldn't drink this as a session beer. Overall, this is a solid beer that you can go to whenever you feel the urge for some apricot or something to change up the pace a bit.

I'll definitely have #9 again.

4.1/5  rDev +20.9%

This is a unique and tasty beer. The apricot taste is more subtle than you might expect. There is another taste in there that I can't pinpoint. I don't know what kind of yeast they are using but I think that's part of the secret. The real highlight here is the mouthfeel. When served right, it's not overly carbonated and has a very pleasing "chewy" mouthfeel. Good to drink all night, but not every day.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

It's new years eve and I'm alone at home with nothing to do or watch on T.V. Why not break out my Magic Hat sixer and get some reviewing?
pours light amber, I expect a little more but not bad
Smell is a little weak and I detect a bit of apricot
Taste is a little weak for me. Its got a bit of fruity apricot to it up front and a little bitter finish. From an APA I just expect a little more hops to it, but then again I'm usually after hoppy beers.
Mouthfeel is pretty good, along with drinkability. Not something that I would go after in winter usually, but it was a christmas gift. This would be great for a hot summer afternoon.

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

“Dinner sold separately.” That’s what I was greeted with when I popped the cap. I’ve had the #9 many a times and have always enjoyed it, but this is the first time I’m examining it.

Pours a pretty clear light to medium amber color. There is barely any head along with minimal lacing.

Very smooth through the palate. Sweet from the fruit, but the finish is very tart. They advertise it as not quite pale ale, and that is exactly what it tastes like. The apricot in the nose and on the tongue is very apparent.

This is a pretty solid standby for places I go to that aren’t quite beer bars.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company