#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -4.7%

I had tried this beer out of bottle a while back a go and was not overly impressed but this time I got on tap and it was a great improvement.

Appearance- Cloudy gold color.

Smell- You can definitely smell the fruit.

Taste- Essence of a pale ale with a fruit candy kick. It really reminds me of dime store candy in beer.

Mouthfeel. Medium to light bodied.

Drinkability-Alright and does the trick when you want something different. A good conversational beer.

3.33/5  rDev -1.8%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. Label recommends drinking before August of 2007.

Appearance: Pours with 1 inch of off white head. This settles slowly into a 1/4 inch coating of foam. The beer itself is perfectly clear and light to medium yellow.

Smell: Low bitter smell, with a hint of sweet malt and fruitiness. Slight metallic aroma.

Taste: Carbonation bite upfront, followed by a slight sweetness. Finishes with very low bitterness and just a hint of fruitiness. Lingers well.

Mouthfeel: Average to less than average carbonation level. Mouthfeel is okay.

Drinkability: I have been craving soem Magic Hat since I left New England and it has finally made it's way next door in Ohio. I have not had the chance to try any of Magic Hat's "crazier" brews, but I have always been pleased with their flagship, #9. Definitely not the best beer around, but great for drinking on a hot summer day.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A: pours a light golden yellow. one finger head.

S: first thing i smell is apricot and other sour weird stuff.

T: I can't decide wether i like this. The apricot is nice, but everything else seems to fall short. Maybe on a hot summer day, this would be really nice. In my room temperature living room at 10 at night, I'm really not digging this too much. Seems to be missng something.

M: not an impressive mouthfeel. not an impressive beer. definitely interesting though.

D: I think i'm gonna give away the rest of my six pack. It's interesting with a good aftertaste, but seems to be lacking balance. Too much fruit flavor, not enough beer flavor.

4.05/5  rDev +19.5%

A- Hazy gold with a nice off white head and tons of lacing coating the glass

S- some fruit, apricots and some slight hops

T- clean subtile hop profile with some fruit, not to sweet but smooth and clean

M- a bit thinner than I expected

D- an easy drinker for sure. This is a great warm weather beer, nothing to extreme just good tasting refreshment with a clean dry finsih. I will be having this beer a lot this summer.

3.73/5  rDev +10%

On tap, poured into a clear glass, this beer was a pale golden color with a very white head with small bubbles. The smell was sweet with some flower fragrances. Taste was sweet with some hoppiness, so white grape flavors. Mouthfeel was light with little after taste. This is a good drinkable beer for a hot day. I prefer heavy dark beers but found this a drinkable beer.

3.78/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Paid 1.79 for a "3/4 pint" bottle. Psychedelic label & bottle cap. Nice package. Straw yellow with a heavy brush of orange. Not much foam. Smell is fruit, cut grass, good all-American hop bite. Heavy fruit in the taste, with a mean bitter from the alphas right beside it. Not much malt presence in the taste, but some noticeable gravity in the mouthfeel. Mouthfeel is overall very good - good sharp but small bubble.

This is a weird beer to categorize, as other reviews state. Regardless it's good drinking and something I could definitely get used to.

3.15/5  rDev -7.1%

A very odd beer that alternated between bad and good, while all the time being very strange.

Aroma was a mixture of what I could swear was pumpkin, sour apples and some mystery spice. Flavor likewise, started out like a mild pale ale, but then ended with a bitter aftertaste of the mystery ingredient. This all led to a palate finish of talcum-powder dryness and a lingering bitterness.

I’m glad I tried this different offering, but could not have too many at once.

2.98/5  rDev -12.1%

Takes some doing to raise a head on this one; once it's up, though, it holds pretty well, subsiding to an uneven white cap (very bubbly). Light amber-gold.

Smell is a mishmash of light malt, leafy hop and apricot. Fruit hits first in the mouth too, followed by a wash of grain and very mild bitterness. Not doing much for me. Just a rather uninspired pale ale with some fruit. It's easy enough to drink, but I wouldn't buy the stuff.

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a twist-off(! why has thou forsaken me, Magic Hat?) bottle found in the new summer variety pack. One finger, foamy head that recedes to bubbles. Light orange, clear body. One whiff and you know you've got a nine, all I can smell is apricot perfume. Taste is, like the smell, a bit over the top with the apricot; fruit notes dominate here until the finish which is sticky, corn grit? Like a macrolager. Bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel is similar with a creamy start into a light, medium finish and a pang of carbonation. It's a hippie Corona. Drinkable on a hot summer day in the lots, strolling down shakedown. I can almost smell the grilled cheese and goo-balls.

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

It pours a amber/straw color with a small white head. There is a light apricot aroma with a small malt background. The flavor is much stronger in the fruit department than the aroma and is fairly sweet as well. The body is light and drinks fairly easily, especially in warm weather. I would give this average drinkability because it's a bit too sweet and only really works for a lawnmower beer for me personally.

3.6/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a clear 14k gold, with a creamy, one-and-half finger creamy head. Good retention and decent lacing. Tropical fruit and DMS/cooked veggie aromas dominate the rather mild nose; with some pale malt aromatics in the background. Toasty pale malt and some biscuit notes upfront, followed by a flash of ripe tropical fruit. Nice clean bitterness in the aftertaste that balances well with a restrained hop flavor that does not get in the way of the mild fruit taste. Dextrin is more noticable in the end which is not unpleasent, but does combine with an emerging tannic fruit-protien taste, and this becomes distracting. Medium-light body and medium-high carbonation creates a refreshing and light mouthfeel that compliments the apricot pressence. Nicely, done, though a higher dose of fresh apricot could make the fruit character more appealing and fully permeate beyond the rich malt. The stronger malt profile is a welcome change from the fruit beers I have tried, and the fruit profile really opens up in the finsh, achieving a beer that is both exotic-and very quaffable.

3.7/5  rDev +9.1%

On first appearance, the color is nice being a rich golden hue. I poured from a bottle and there wasn't much head. The smell is oddly like dirty river water, which kind of turned me off at first. After tasting, however, I was pleasantly surprized by the fruity apricot flavor that dissipates into a sharp but nice aftertaste that is not too bitter. Overall, I think this is a good beverage that will give you a chance to try something a little different from the average pale ale.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

An apricot punch followed by a smooth malty texture and some faint hops bitterness, #9 seems to be the standard for measuring fruit beers (at least by non-BA's. I don't know how that statement fares in the community)

A- Poured out a slightly murky golden color. A small head that lasted through the entire glass, and some weak lacing.

S- I found the nose of the beer to be way too neutral. Some fruit and malt but almost undiscernable scents to my nose.

T- The taste was a blast of sour apricots, like I was chewing on a dried apricot, followed closely by bready and not too sweet malts. There was a touch of hops tinge in the back of the mouth but nothing that made you say "There's the hops". The blend didn't seem to be there, though the balance was. Instead it was fruit-malt-hops. If I could want something more it would be for these flavors to meld together like a watercolor better.

M- Very light and considerable smooth. Only a hint of bitterness which I felt allowed the flavors to come out fully (maybe I'm just being a bitter wussy though).

D- A delicious fruit beer appropriate for a light mood, and especially for summer.

4.43/5  rDev +30.7%

This beer pours a medium pale color with a head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is dry with hints of apricot. Taste is similar with the apricot complimented by a slight maltiness. I first sampled this beer 5 years ago and have not had it often since. However, I'm still impressed with the taste and as I have gotten older, I've learned to appreciate it more. One of Magic Hat's hints of brilliance and their flagship brew as well.

2.98/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Mostly clear, with a rusty look and barely any head. Smell was overpowered by fruit, mostly apricot, but maybe other fruit compliments as well (perhaps pear?). The taste is also overwhelmingly apricot. Sweet and tasty at the first hit of the tongue, and the aftertaste has a slightly bitter bite. While I like the beginning taste, the balance between sweet and bitter doesn't quite work in the end. I enjoy this beer, a sugary fruit beer isn't bad every once in a while, but I certainly understand why others would not.

2.78/5  rDev -18%

I joked with Brandon that he was trying to get all the apricot beer in existence on stock at the bar, the day i first had this.

pours a light orange color with some quickly disappearing head that leaves some lacing, but not much.

smells... not so good. can smell the apricot in there, but only faintly amidst some rather uninteresting aromas.

tastes alright. not super sweet like the other apricot beers ive had, ie Pyramid's apricot ale or Aprihop. so that was a plus, but is definately a weird taste. I remember when i first had this at the bar it tasted different, but i couldnt put my finger on what made it so. when i found out it was an apricot beer i was somewhat surprised... mostly because it wasnt super sweet...

finished my case off, dont think i'll buy another one

2.3/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Appearance was a cloudy copper/rust color with a nice white head. The highlight of the beer. The aroma was just putrid. I believe someone said "hair salon", which is close, but I'd liken it more to "wet dog". Just not pleasant.

Fortunately it doesn't taste quite as bad as it smells, but it's still not really my bag. There is a malted wheat flavor that comes through, and then an apricot/raspberry (artificial) flavor. Hop presence is kept to a minimum, and the sugary sweet malt is a bit too powerful. I kind of "get" what they were trying to do with this beer, but it just doesn't work in my opinion. Mouthfeel is thin and overly carbonated, further detracting from the experience.

Overall I came away very confused and unimpressed by this beer. Who exactly are they trying to appeal to with this? Beer drinkers? Chicks? Casual beer guys? Either way, If you're looking for a good fruit beer, look elsewhere.

2.28/5  rDev -32.7%

12 oz. twist off cap bottle with a trippy psychedelic blood orange and orange colored label. The label is like one of those old 60's Tie-dye T-shirts. I'm tripping out by looking at big blood orange 9 with a white star in the middle. I might be freaking out, but I think I see a fly on the right side of the nine. On the outer rim of the label is the address of the brewery, web address, and where Magic Hat calls it "flavored not quite Pale Ale." The back label has the Government warning, barcode, refund prices, a white star with a yellow moon in it, a best before date notched on the side (mine is best before July 07), and this is where Magic Hat says it's "brewed with the essence of apricot." There is a little neck label that has a little blurb about beer and the word "Magic Hat" in green letters surrounded by pink spirals. Don't look at the label too long because you will freak out if you do. Served in a Bell's Brewery American Pint glass.

#9 poured a watery clear honey amber with a thin layer of white bubbly foam that quickly dissipated away into a few white bubbles along the edge of the beer and no white lace whatsoever around the glass. It wasn't much to look at. It had an aroma of malted wheat, malted rice, some sweet dried apricots in the middle, and a dash of white sugar at the end. That aroma was a lot better than the initial aroma that smelled oddly similar to a hair salon. I can't figure out why that was even there. It didn't need to be there. It had a thin taste of malted wheat, malted rice, burnt hops, some peach fuzz, and a few sweet ripe apricots at the finish line. At least it some apricots in it, but they weren't the main dominate flavor. They came in second after the malted grains. The mouthfeel was definitely not crisp and it was way too light and watery with a itsey bitsey aftertaste of apricot and malted wheat. No much going on there. There is only 1 positive aspect of this beer and that is, it's an affordable brew. That's the only good thing! It's sad really. If you know somebody who likes light fruit beers, then pass this one off to them. They might like it. For me, it's more than likely I'm not going to touch this stuff again.

3.93/5  rDev +15.9%

appearance: light amber/golden color

smell: nice smell of apricot; slightly alcoholic

taste: It's got a good taste if you like fruit beers. The apricot flavor comes out but it also has a strong aftertaste

mouthfeel: The carbonation is strong and seems to get in the way.

drinkability: it has an easy taste and is a good drinking beer but not more one.

3.63/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at the ATR in Gainesville. Poured into a pint glass. I like the tap handle on this one, a copper tube with a giant 9 at the top. Very cool.

Clear with a haze to it. Pale gold in coloring. Smooth, but chewy head. Left a lacing on the glass.

Very fruity nose. Pears and apples. Very over powering smell.

Nice crispy dryness right off... and the fruits are everywhere. Grain and malts are present. Ending with a nice britter but dry finish. Small hop bitterness. Wasn't an overpowering fruit beer like the others in this catagory. Good medium body as well.

I'm not a big fruit beer guy but this one suprised me. Truth be told I thought this was just a regular pale ale with a twist, until the tender told me it was techinacally a fruit beer. Crazy. Nicely done to the brewers, I could easily come back to this one.

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Nice clear golden honey color with no headand a light smell of hops
Medium carbonation with a mild hop taste just a little too sweet for me.
I could drink a few of these on a nice hot day on the patio.
I agree with the next review, this would be a great beer for your friends that only drink the "big ad" companies.

3.88/5  rDev +14.5%

This is one of my all time favorite brews. I had it a few years back and picked it up every summer to remember why I loved it so much. This time i picked it up a little early, but I had a craving for it.

Appearance- Has an almost orange color that is like a dark copper. Pours a light one finger head and dissipates shortly with a thin ring around the glass. Consistent carbonation through out session.

Smell- Its a little bold, a quick hit of Apricot, then a mix of malt, alcohol, and a very subtle yeast aroma.

Taste- The beauty of this brew. It tastes like they describe it. A not so pale ale. Its got the subtle bitterness of a pale ale, with the creative kick of apricots. This beer's unique taste is legendary in my book, because the taste has on numerous occasions has converted my macro beer chugging friends into #9 believers. It's not a taste bud assault rather a mixture of a classic beer with a satisfying new taste.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability- Smooth with a small bite from the hops. Overall very easy to drink, great for hot days, and although I wouldn't slam down a six pack I'd gladly split one with a buddy. I recommend this guy to anyone who has yet to try it.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: After pour, beer had a one finger head. It's golden to a slightly orange color. Head dissipated quickly.

Smell: Slight smell of some fruit flavors. A bit of grapefruit and maybe some peach fragrances. Not really picking up much otherwise.

Taste: There is a bit of a fruity, sweet taste. Some peach and berry flavors. There's also a bit of a hoppy taste to it. It actually tastes very weak and not very good.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: This beer is very light and is easy to drink. It's just that I don't really care to drink anymore. Nothing flashy or anything to get excited about. Overall, not very good. I've definitely had worse, but I won't be drinking again and I would not recommend it.

4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

appearance -Kind of a clear cloudy straw yellow. Inch head and lots of nice lace on this one.

smell - has a blueberry smell to it.

taste - has a blueberry and apricot taste to it, nice, cmooth, crisp.
mouthfeel - Light-medium body hardly any carbination.

drinkability - Very nice, didn't know this was a fruit beer, very nice. Would enjoy has a spring beer.

2.78/5  rDev -18%

Magic Hat #3 from Joe's Garage Sampler Pack, and this was the one that I liked the most but also seemed like it could be over the top with something else. Orange/amber with a decent head and slight carbonation and smells like apricots. Period. It wasn't a really strong apricot scent, more like a wine cooler style smell and made me want to dive in. Mouth was thin and weak and left a malt aftertaste that was odd at best. Confusing. Taste was, apricot at the front, malt at the end, but there was nothing in the middle. There was a little pale ale bitterness, but this was like drinking a beer with a hole. It needs that kick from hops, or better malt flavor to follow through, otherwise, this was hollow.

Well, 3 for 3 on Magic Hat. This one had the most hope, but it missed.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company