#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,626 | Hads: 5,324
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

I was surprised I liked this beer but it was good! I would definitely order it if they had it at a restaurant, think I will buy a 12 too! It is different no real flavors but not watery. Not bitter like many beers can be. (220 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

i was told this had a unique flavor...I wasn't lied too from what I tastes. Which I'm not sure what I do taste. I feel as if there is some vegtables used in the brewing process. I gain a hint a tartness that is paired well with a mild sweetness. For any of cooks out there, I do reccomend using this to marinade chicken with. (325 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden orange with a lace that soon disapates. Big syrupy fruit in the nose; mainly apricot and some peach. Aroma also has some buttery elements, grain and even some cinnamon. The drawback is that these aromas feel artificial. Taste has a similar fruity and syrupy apricot feel. Low hop level, and some grainy malt backbone. Crisp on the tongue and light medium mouthfeel. However, as the carbonation flattens out, the feel becomes syrupy. Another issue is that the balance is a bit off in favor of a sweet fruit extract feel that is a bit off putting. (566 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

I was sampling beers, you know a super market cares when you can put together a six pack. Before I tried this, I was drinking a favorite IPA (Coronado, Idiot IPA), so this was a step down. It is interesting. I had two look this beer up because I thought I tasted peaches. I see it might be made with apricots. Interesting, not for a purist though, not a session beer. I would try it again on tap. (402 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Doesn't knock my socks off but is a very drinkable beer.
Pours a nice amber yellow with less than a finger off foam. I prefer 3 fingers but I think 1 suits the beer.
Initial smell is fruity infused with tart- nothing specifically noticeable on the nose but nice smell.
Good taste nothing special but unique on its own. Doesn't taste like any other beer-distinct.
First few sips are better than the end few.
Not bad. (420 characters)

Pours amber, with a one finger white head that leaves quite a fair amount of lacing behind.

Smells is interesting, nothing I can discern. (I know this beer contains apricot, but I don't think I've ever isolated an apricot scent or flavor elsewhere for reference) A sweet/sour smell.

Taste isn't as sweet as I remember, maybe it's the events of the night and my palette. Slightly sour/tart and a bit savory. Can't pick out specifics more than that.

This is a middle ground brew, nothing to clamor over, I've had it multiple times, but this is the first time I've reviewed.

Light bodied, crisp, and drinkable are points in it's favor. (636 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Had a bottle a couple of weeks ago after it had been in my fridge for a few weeks. The beer had some mild hop flavor and was OK, but there was not much that was special about it. Low ABV is sometimes desirable. (210 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +25%

Appearance- average orange color, not light, not dark
Smell- hard to describe, a little like old beer and orange
Taste- very good and full taste, hint of orange. Aftertaste lingers a little
Mouthfeel- a little bitter but not much
Drinkability- light enough that several can be drank. its a good-drink several and don't look cheap- type beer (347 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

Sometimes, a can of this in the summer is really quite nice. And if I'm somewhere backstage and there are free beers, I'll probably pick this over the other options. But other than that, I just don't really enjoy this any more. (227 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance- Light copper tint. very transparent
Smell- Not really much of a smell. nothing overpowering at all.
Taste- Fruity, berry taste with a slight bitter twang at the end.
Mouthfeel-Syrupy and sticky
Drinkability- drinkable but must be cold or its rough on the palate (274 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

Apricot beer doesn't at first seem like a genius idea, but let me tell you it most certainly is.
The fruitiness draws you in, and the little ditties they write under the cap keep you from drinking all of it at 3 in the afternoon on a Monday, you know, just cuz. (261 characters)

Magic Hats flagship beer and with good reason, tastes like American Beer used too full bodied and well balanced not overly hopped not too weak not too strong just right (168 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +25%

First time I tries this beer it was in college 8 years ago and didn't care for it. However, as my taste for beer has evolved I feel as this beer is a pleasant change from the regularly available beers in the Northeast. (218 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: clear; honey colored; 1 finger white head that receded quickly; no lacing;

S: fresh apricot with some light malt;

T: malt is a little more prevalent here, but the apricot still comes through clearly; virtually no bitterness;

M: light to medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: not a beer I would generally choose, but good nonetheless; (342 characters)

If you haven't had this beer extremely fresh, you're doing yourself a disservice. Too many bottles are old or poorly kept. This beer has many subtle complex aromas and flavors that can only be experienced when fresh.

Light notes of apricot and bready yeast are followed by a little tartness and a clean finish. (313 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I will be updating this review at a later date. Not sure if maybe I got a bad six pack here. First one I had tonight was much more what I recall of the beer, but the second one had some issues. This is in a batch from "Play Under the Cap" (contest begins 5/1/14 and ends 9/1/14, so it may be that it was older in the store and mistreaded - wife bought it, so not sure yet where /when). I wanted to give a review a go though with a beer I knew, OR THOUGHT I KNEW, because I had NO IDEA this was classified as a fruit beer. Plowing onward...

A: Same golden color as normal (I have this beer often - see below) but seems I have a bust on the head this time (warning bells).

S: Also seems a little different, but may be because I'm trying to be more thoughtful. I am picking up more of a fruity note than I recall ( result of new knowledge? ), and catching a whiff of biscuits.

T: Not hitting the apricot note that seems prevalent in other reviews I read after seeing the fruit/vegetable categorization (see below again, I'm thinking more veg), and am really struggling with this because a) I love apricot so think I would hit it and to some extent I guess I see it, and b) never thought fruit with this beer in the past. As I think about it I keep hitting in my mind BRUSSEL SPROUTS (also a favorite of mine - think tiny sweet cabbages with slight under note of bitter) so may explain why I always had an affinity to the product. Kind of a hint of tea too, and maybe encouraging more in my mind green/veg aspects.

M: light and effervescent, with a velvety but clean finish, but with the effervesence another mystery to me on the lack of a head

O: Have been a fan since I first had one, and what I use it for is a "balance" beer. Normally don't have much on hand at home, and have too many people I know that are not into big beers and are pretty much old school pre-craft beer consumers. So I like to use it as a way to have beer on hand and not challenge them too much, but still gives me something to enjoy.

I am going to have to get a LOT more PRACTICE in reviewing and learning how to put up a good description of my beer experiences. (2,141 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%

Haters gonna hate. I feel like this beer is underrated on here because it has three characteristics that people on BA tend to dislike: it's a fruit beer, it's mass distributed, and it's made by Magic Hat. While not an amazing beer, it's certainly better than average. The point of rating beers on BA is to consider a beer within its own genre...and as far as fruit beers are concerned, I think this one is damn good. If you don't like fruit beers, it should be no surprise to you that you won't like this one. If you think it's uncool to drink Magic Hat, either because it's mass distributed or because of the West 6th thing...then don't drink it. Anyway, now that I'm down off my soapbox, the flavor of this is rich, and the apricots definitely come through, refreshing pretty much any time of year. The color has an inviting orangish hue which I find very appealing. Mouthfeel isn't awesome, a little heavy on the carbonation. Overall, a pretty good beer. (963 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This has always been a favorite since my college days (whenever I had enough money to afford it). Love the sweet, fruity smell you get (its not over powering though) and its smooth going down (not a lot of bit). Always a fall back beer for me, if nothing else catches my attention. (281 characters)

3.41/5  rDev +0.3%

16 oz. can picked up over the border; packaged March 31 2014. This is the last can in a 4-pack (consumed over several days), so I've had more time than usual to think about this one before reviewing. Served well-chilled.

Pours a clear, pale orange-amber colour, topped with nearly two fingers of pillowy, sparkling-white head that steadily recedes over the next few minutes. It leaves behind a dense curtain of lacing, eventually settling into a wide collar and thin cap. The aroma is subdued, and a little fruity - apricot and pale malt sweetness are really the only things I can identify.

This is an approachable, simple pale ale with a nice hint of apricot and peach flavour. Grainy pale malts and a touch of caramel come through at first, with the aforementioned fruity flavours becoming more prominent toward the tail end. Not much is heard from the hops at all, really, other than a vaguely weedy bitterness in the finish. On the lighter side of medium-bodied, with zippy carbonation initially - though it settles down fairly quickly, something I noticed with the other 3 cans as well. Smooth, flirting with syrupy texture; very high sessionability due to the mild, inoffensive flavours.

Final Grade: 3.41, a passable B-. Magic Hat #9 is a drinkable, but fairly unremarkable apricot beer, a sub-style that I will admit I am not exactly well-studied in. This has all the markings of a serviceable, mass-marketable fruit beer, which is probably how it has managed to become so widely spread (even available in Canada) and long-lived in the marketplace. At $5 and change for a 4-pack, it's a bit of a steal from my perspective, but it's still not something to go out of your way for. (1,690 characters)

3.51/5  rDev +3.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Clear gold. one finger head dissipates quickly with mild retention. Spotty lacing.

S - Tea, malt and faint apricot.

T - Malt and yeast dominate with some bitter hops and tea flavor to finish with. The longer it sits, the more pronounced the light apricot flavor becomes.

M- Light

O - I tasted more tea than apricots. This would be a good choice where you can build your own six pack. (432 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Kinda odd. It's light, but slightly malty. Some fruit notes, perhaps apricots. A little fizzy, and the slightest note of hops at the finish. Not really sure what to make of it, but it was drinkable.

Would drink again. Wouldn't seek out and purchase again. (256 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

(no freshness info - poured into a British pint glass)

A: relatively-clear, sunny, yellow-amber colored liquid with a mild haze... keeps a < finger-width head for a minute... head falls, leaves a thin, frothy cap which holds till the end... spits of lace here and there

S: huge, extract-fruity aroma - not too far off from a peach Jolly Rancher mixed with a cough drop... no hops (unless the Cascade is lending some highlights to the candy-fruitiness), kinda tough to tell what impact the yeast has... wee bit floral

T: certainly a British bitter (or cream ale) base with some minerally esters and a decent bit of hop bitterness floating beneath the haze of somewhat white wine fruitiness... not nearly as sweet as the aroma suggests - actually, it finishes rather dry despite a swipe of light crystal malt up front... the bitterness gradually asserts itself more and more with each sip... I suppose the fruit flavor is a fresh apricot, having only had nasty, sulfury dried ones - could be construed as mildly peach and/or cantaloupe... dry, sort of biscuity-bready malt pacing around in the background, delicate toastiness... dandelion-like (petals and stem) aftertaste

M: smooth-ish, mildly frothy-creamy flow... flash of soft sizzle at the back of the palate... very easy to knock back... blanket-soft and dry

O: it's not all that bad a drink - I could certainly understand it being popular amongst young kids who don't enjoy the flavors of traditional ales and lagers - real beer! (1,492 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -11.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Burley Oak snifter

A: Solid copper with a tiny collar and minimal head that is gone as fast as it is there.

S: Just a nondescript fruity scent with no real hop or normal beer scents.

T: Just slightly fruity, which makes this a tolerable pale ale for me. Weird flavors here, and just a strange fruit beer.

M: Smooth, with barely any felt carbonation. Bit of carbonation felt on the end of your palate.

O: Leftover from a Fourth of July party, so I can't complain. The rest of this one will be made into pancakes, and the other beers will be given to my family when they come over tomorrow. It is a not quite pale ale on the label, but it is given as a fruit/vegetable beer on here, which makes this a weird beer. (745 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This beer was a good beer from what I can remember, I know that I liked it. It has just been a while since I have had it. I know that I enjoyed this beer, it is one that I have to be in the mood for. But I enjoyed this beer. If I could find it somewhere close to where I live, I would like to try it again. (306 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a glass from a bottle. Pours a hazy yellow with a head that dissipates quickly. Lacing isn't very prevalent. Mouthfeel is kind of smooth and the taste is smooth very much like a fruit beer. The smell is fruity as well. I would try this again it wasn't bad. (268 characters)

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company