#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,642 | Hads: 5,413
3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Also picked up as a part of a mix and match six pack at the sto'. Side poured from the glass into a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance - Pours a hazy, slightly orange color with a thin soapy head that dissolves rapidly and leaves little lacing.

Smell - Light fruits, a bit of spices, not much else.

Taste - Pretty much the same thing as the nose. Nothing much going on here.

Mouthfeel - Finishes dry, a bit fruity. Light body, medium carbonation.

Overall - Meh. Underwhelming, nothing at all stands out. I don't even know if I would recommend it even in a mix and match.

4.05/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a pretty, clear, golden-amber color with a slight reddish hue, topped with a quarter of a finger of white head that almost completely dissolved away into some wispy clouds that partially covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Very fruity and aromatic. Lots of Belgian yeast and raspberry up front, with some toasted malt notes imparting aromas of freshly baked sourdough bread. Very nice.

Taste: Very malty up front, quickly followed by some assertive and pleasant raspberry fruitiness, a little sourness, and some honey-like sweetness. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing, with some pretty good carbonation. With an ABV of 5.1%, there is no presence of alcohol on the palate.

Overall: This is one of my favorite session beers. I really enjoy how refreshing it is with the nicely balanced malt, raspberry and Belgian yeast. Very good.

3.22/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Tasted 17 January 2015.

Pours a very clear, slightly odd orange color, sort of apricot-toned amber. Half a finger of off-white head, okay retention, not much lacing.

Smell is funny, too. Again, it's sort of apricoty, but with some faint spices, and a chemical feel.

Taste is like someone took the smell and vacuumed all the substance out of it. It's dry and empty, with just a touch of that fruity sweetness. Not at all what I was expecting. Not bad, but not very enjoyable. It's slightly chalky, and there's just not much to it.

Feel is pretty good. Light body, sparkly carbonation. Dries out quickly and suddenly, like tonic water.

An okay beer, but kinda weird across the board. Seems like they tried to make something that would appeal to people who don't really want flavorful beer. Maybe they succeeded, but that's not what I want.

4.81/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is underrated. Sweet taste, full feel. So drinkable. My only qualm is the slight syrupy sugary feel that forms on the back of my palate over time. Good with anything, so even tho some wouldn't call it "world class" it's really good any time and stacks up against the best. F***!

2.27/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

355 ml bottle served cold into a pint glass. Appearance-cloudy pale golden color. A head that quickly dissipated. Smell - a very light vegetative aroma. Taste-- kind of bland. Mouthfeel - light bodied, slightly dry finish. Overall - it's OK, but doesn't quite compare to others.

2.79/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Blue Ridge Grill (Brambleton, VA) - draft in a pint glass
A - Light golden color with surface covering head, good lace
S - Very light fruit, not much else going on here
T - Distant fruit, sort of absent anything
F - good, nothing unpleasant, nothing standing out
O - Very easy drinking, but likely becasue there isn't much to this beer in the way of dominant flavors or complexity. It tastes mass produced.

look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - 3/5
Pours an extremely clear light orange-amber. Little to no head. Can see an above average amount of carbonation rising.

Smell - 4.65/5
A very unique smell, full of many flavors. Overall mostly fruity, berries are the fruit that stands out the most. The smell is so unique that it's hard to describe, other than that it smells fruity and delicious. Perhaps a small amount of malt smell and a tiny hint of alochol smell.

Taste - 3.5/5
Tastes similar to the smell during the beginning of the sip (though the taste is much less strong than I was expecting from the smell), but then changes its character a bit and becomes much less flavorful. There is some sweet malt flavor, with a tinge of fruitiness left. The latter half of the sip is also much more alcoholic. Overall, the flavor in the taste is slightly different than the smell, less flavorful than the smell, and for the most part just not that great. Not really bad either...just "weird". An interesting brew definitely, and I give them points for creativity and uniqueness. But overall, not something I would want to go buy a 6-pack of.

Mouthfeel - 3.8/5
Fairly smooth. In between creamy and crisp (or both?). Slightly less than medium-bodied. Moderate level of carbonation.

Overall - 3.25/5
This is a unique beer, and was definitely worth trying once. I don't think I will be getting again any time soon though.

3.97/5  rDev +16.8%

Purchased as a single at a gas station in Flit MI. Served at 6deg C in a plastic cup

A- Opens well and pours a dark golden slightly brown color.

S- Lots of fruity goodness. The raspberry comes though in spades.

T- Yup there is that raspberry again. Very light fruity beer. Long finish

M- Nice dry and crisp while being creamy at the same time. Very nice

O- An excellent brew. Will buy again if I see it

Food Pairing

This wonderful beer went well with..... Pizza- peperoni, hot peppers and pineapple.

2.38/5  rDev -30%

This tastes like cough syrup. Can't shake it. I made it through one the other night. I tried a second tonight and couldn't stomach it. I recycled the remaining four bottles.

2.99/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

355 ml bottle served cold into a pint glass.

Appearance-clear pale golden color. A finger of head with decent retention. Some visible carbonation.

Smell - vegetative with some apricot aroma. Apricot saves it otherwise this wouldn't be good.

Taste - starts with cooked veggies again and then a bland apricot flavor comes through. Faint apricot aftertaste, but there's a permeating bitterness through that prevents this from being sweet.

Mouthfeel - light bodied reasonably carbonated. slightly dry finish.

Overall - not a terrible fruit beer, but doesn't stand up to a lot of the other ones on the market. Worth a try especially if you like apricots and more beer like than others in the style, but not my preference.

3.08/5  rDev -9.4%

I remember the first time I ever had this beer. I thought it was great, and it still is if what you define as "great" is more commonly defined as "not that good." It's color is darkish light, its taste is weak, and I couldn't tell you what it smells like. This was once a great beer to get you started in drinking craft beer. Now it's a great beer to ignore.

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

I absolutely love this beer! This was the first beer I've drank that I would classify as "refreshing." I'd had other Magic Hat brews and brought to a BBQ and everyone made the same face when they noticed how smooth and fresh the beer was after a first sip. Pairs extremely well with food and is and ideal summer beer.

It wasn't bad, and I'd get it again. Definitely is worth serving warmer than the crazy cold way we tend to serve beer here in the States. Malty, kind of sweet. Nice biscuity crispness at the end. I wouldn't buy a 6-pack, but I'd get it at a bar again. Pleasant but not particularly unique to me.

Poured a clear golden body with a one finger bubbly white head that quickly receded leaving no lacing. A fairly boring looking beer. Scents of sweet raspberry, strawberry, blackberry, peach and light berry perfume. Overall impression of flavor is of a very fruit-forward beer, no other aromas are present. Very sweet and fitting a fruit beer, but a bit lacking in balance. Flavor begins lightly sweet and fruity with notes of peach, raspberry, lightly sour strawberry and not much else. Middle is slightly drier with the same flavors present. Finish is lightly dry with the same flavors present, but with light grainy malt in the background. Aftertaste is tart berries quickly giving way to grainy malt. Overall impression of flavor is of a very fruity beer that is balanced mostly towards berry flavors, with malt most apparent on the aftertaste. It isn't as sweet as the nose let on however and is pleasantly dry on the finish. Better than expected. Mouthfeel is light bodied with high carbonation and an effervescent slightly chalky feel. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of a very drinkable, light beer, refreshing and crisp. Overall this isn't a bad fruit beer. It has a rather pleasant sweet aroma, leading into a nicely sweet beginning flavor with a slightly dry finish aided by a crisp mouthfeel. It is refreshing, not at all cloying and fairly well done.

4.25/5  rDev +25%

A fruity beer with attractive mouthfeel - very drinkable in a social setting. Definitely not for th e super-hoppy, lip-puckering beer drinker. Goes great with bar food (pretzels with mustard, wings, nacos, etc.)

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

A deep yellow/orange, decent 1/2 finger head retention

S fruity

T carbonated citrus juice, malt blend, sweet

M very light but numbing

O somewhat unique, but flavor left halfway through, no distinguishing flavor to write about

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

I was surprised I liked this beer but it was good! I would definitely order it if they had it at a restaurant, think I will buy a 12 too! It is different no real flavors but not watery. Not bitter like many beers can be.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

i was told this had a unique flavor...I wasn't lied too from what I tastes. Which I'm not sure what I do taste. I feel as if there is some vegtables used in the brewing process. I gain a hint a tartness that is paired well with a mild sweetness. For any of cooks out there, I do reccomend using this to marinade chicken with.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear golden orange with a lace that soon disapates. Big syrupy fruit in the nose; mainly apricot and some peach. Aroma also has some buttery elements, grain and even some cinnamon. The drawback is that these aromas feel artificial. Taste has a similar fruity and syrupy apricot feel. Low hop level, and some grainy malt backbone. Crisp on the tongue and light medium mouthfeel. However, as the carbonation flattens out, the feel becomes syrupy. Another issue is that the balance is a bit off in favor of a sweet fruit extract feel that is a bit off putting.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

I was sampling beers, you know a super market cares when you can put together a six pack. Before I tried this, I was drinking a favorite IPA (Coronado, Idiot IPA), so this was a step down. It is interesting. I had two look this beer up because I thought I tasted peaches. I see it might be made with apricots. Interesting, not for a purist though, not a session beer. I would try it again on tap.

3.25/5  rDev -4.4%

Doesn't knock my socks off but is a very drinkable beer.
Pours a nice amber yellow with less than a finger off foam. I prefer 3 fingers but I think 1 suits the beer.
Initial smell is fruity infused with tart- nothing specifically noticeable on the nose but nice smell.
Good taste nothing special but unique on its own. Doesn't taste like any other beer-distinct.
First few sips are better than the end few.
Not bad.

Pours amber, with a one finger white head that leaves quite a fair amount of lacing behind.

Smells is interesting, nothing I can discern. (I know this beer contains apricot, but I don't think I've ever isolated an apricot scent or flavor elsewhere for reference) A sweet/sour smell.

Taste isn't as sweet as I remember, maybe it's the events of the night and my palette. Slightly sour/tart and a bit savory. Can't pick out specifics more than that.

This is a middle ground brew, nothing to clamor over, I've had it multiple times, but this is the first time I've reviewed.

Light bodied, crisp, and drinkable are points in it's favor.

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Had a bottle a couple of weeks ago after it had been in my fridge for a few weeks. The beer had some mild hop flavor and was OK, but there was not much that was special about it. Low ABV is sometimes desirable.

4.25/5  rDev +25%

Appearance- average orange color, not light, not dark
Smell- hard to describe, a little like old beer and orange
Taste- very good and full taste, hint of orange. Aftertaste lingers a little
Mouthfeel- a little bitter but not much
Drinkability- light enough that several can be drank. its a good-drink several and don't look cheap- type beer

2.25/5  rDev -33.8%

Sometimes, a can of this in the summer is really quite nice. And if I'm somewhere backstage and there are free beers, I'll probably pick this over the other options. But other than that, I just don't really enjoy this any more.

#9 from Magic Hat Brewing Company