2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

#9 - Magic Hat Brewing Company

#9#9

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-09-1998)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of #9 Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,108 | Reviews: 1,540 | Show All Ratings:
Lorenzai_Konstantinov

2.29/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Trying my first magic hat branded beer, starting with #9. This beer pours a deep yellow color bordering on very light amber. Darker than a Bud, but lighter than say a Traditional Yuengling.

With a rather harsh pour it gave a 1.5 finger head of foam that receded extremely fast and left zero lacing on the glass.
The nose of this beer is so weird because if you smell it once it smells like an adjunct lager, but the next time it doesn't. You can smell a musty almost wheat characteristic to it at times, with that classic adjunct smell, but also the smell of lettuce and apricot faintly. I cannot detect any hops in the scent of this.

Taking a big gulp of it, there is a decently malty presence at first and it changes to a light hop bitterness and a strange (vegetable) aftertaste. The apricot note that many others have noted does make sense once you hear the word, but it seems very artificial in taste. There is a very faint buttery quality on the tongue. The finish of this beer is pretty dry which is probably a plus for keeping the odd taste from lingering for very long.

The mouth feel of this beer is probably the highest point of this beer, it's very watery and a bit slippery. The ringwood yeast used to produce these beers has a habit of leaving large amounts of diacetyl in Magic Hat brews which may actually be beneficial to this particular one - atleast for me.

Overall I couldn't recommend this beer. I feel that it's really touting itself as craft beer quality and it just isn't. It's unique for sure in it's concept and it certainly doesn't taste like any other beer I've had, but it isn't even remotely close to a pale ale in taste or appearance.

12-24-2013 18:42:44 | More by Lorenzai_Konstantinov
DMMLarson333

3.56/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A... Very thin head. Light dances in it like motor oil, somewhat pearlescent.

S... The aroma doesn't seem to keep up with the flavor. It is mild with an appropriate amount of citrus. There are also some darker notes present. It is too much to say it smells chocolatey, or woody, but something down there.

T... I love the "not quite pale ale" title. It excuses the more mild happiness. I find this a terribly refreshing beer, esp. In the summer. Unlike most summer beers I consider to have high drinkability, this one isn't without complexities. It's not War & Peace, but it's more than a Corona, but as refreshing, and I could easily drink several in a sitting. Goes down dangerously smooth and easily.

M... Feels light to medium. A little, lingering activity in the tongue, so perhaps a touch too much CO2? Mouth feels moderately clean after, but asks to drink more.

O... This beer's refreshingness, and drinkability increase it's overall score. Certainly better than avg. but not quite outstanding. I do however find myself coming back to it often. Now heading into the winter, however, I suspect it may be forgotten on the other side of the snow.

12-07-2013 23:56:28 | More by DMMLarson333
WhiteHillsStore

Connecticut

3.38/5  rDev -0.3%

Although a lot of you have probably tried and forgotten this beer, I for one keep coming back. It's one of those beers you grab when you don't know what you want. It's not overly showy or complex, but it's still good. Slightly sweet overall with a semi-clean finish. Easy to drink and not too filling, but not too light either. Best in the summer, but good year round too.

12-07-2013 02:56:09 | More by WhiteHillsStore
RingoBro

3.16/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Served in a chilled glass

Appearance- I noticed there wasn't much head on this beer. Still looked fairly lively some time later though

Smell - Very fruity smell, possibly thought strawberry at first. Overall a very nice and sweet smelling beer.

Taste - I couldn't pinpoint what fruit I was tasting, but later found out it was apricot which I'm not a fan of. Still really liked that taste. Little bitter, but definitely not in a bad way. Good aftertaste

Mouthfeel - Refreshing, fruity, and light. Great spring/summer beer.

O - This "not quite Pale Ale" was not quite great, but I found it really refreshing. Try it if you have the change because I found it very refreshing, fruity in a good way, and had a nice after taste. I wouldn't mind drinking more of them if there isn't much on tap.

12-05-2013 04:17:54 | More by RingoBro
JG-90

3.46/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

#9 Pours a moderate sized pure white head with okay retention and low lacing. Beer is a perfectly clear golden/orange color. Smells of pears, peaches, apricots, bread, and light malts, with just a hint of soapiness.

Taste starts with pear and bread, then peaches and apricots, with a light malt and slightly soapy finish. Crisp finish. Mouthfeel is lighter than average with high carbonation.

11-24-2013 20:10:58 | More by JG-90
JohnnyJam

Arizona

2.88/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I had this beer on tap at Boom Bozz, a chain pizza place out of Georgia. I really used to like this place and it was fairly busy. It was a nice addition to the options for Gilbert restaurants. The first Sierra Nevada Torpedo I ever had was here. The bartender was really into craft beers and that really helped me with trying different styles. Our server the other day didn't know what Magic Hat #9 was but he thought it was a Pale Ale. It's a fruit beer. He never asked what I thought about it to learn what he was serving. This is how far I think this place has fallen. But this is about the beer.

A: This is a light amber color. There is virtually no head and the lacing is non-existent

S: Smells malty and sweet. A little fruit smell like apricot or unripen peaches. Very little smell.

T: Malt forward with a little apricot taste. Tastes artificial. Really no hops to speak of at all.

M: Light-bodied and high carbonation reminds me of a light beer. Finishes a little bitter.

O: This is not a beer for me. I didn't care for it and really didn't like it. I couldn't drink another and I wouldn't have it again. My friend, who isn't really a beer drinker thought it was ok. My experience has been that women, especially those who don't drink beer will gravitate towards fruit beers. That is only my experience and I don't want to offend anyone.

11-20-2013 18:59:40 | More by JohnnyJam
rdilauro

Connecticut

2.75/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours like your typical light amber/lager/ale. A semi-frothy white head, keeping in t line with many of the larger breweries. Not much of any aroma, nothing distinct in the nose.
The taste was clean, the beer was very light. The aftertaste was just a clean as the start. So, that feels my grading in terms of what any good beer should be like.

Enjoyable, like, nice summering, mowing my lawn type of beer.

11-10-2013 21:25:04 | More by rdilauro
Spikester

Oregon

3.21/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hazy amber with a very small white and zero lace. Smell is very nice fruit with a touch of bread. Taste is lightly sweet fruit with a little malt support and just the minor hop bitterness in the after taste. Mouthfeel is alright with plenty of carbonation. Light to medium bodied.
Overall an easy drinking fruit beer with no Wow factor. If you like fruit beers give it a try.

11-09-2013 06:32:47 | More by Spikester
digitalflood

3.46/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Magic Hat #9 Not Quite Pale Ale (2013) - 5.1% ABV. Faint aromas of spice and almost cider like malts. Thick head leans down to thin but strong lacing. Active carbonation in a hazy amber body. Light spicing with crisp ale front palate. Hints of malt and cream mid-palate. Very wet mouth feel with crisp back palate hopping. Very smooth ale taste with hints of Western US style hops complement the overall amber North East Pale Ale crisp hop notes. Enough copper to let you know it's an ale. A little bumble gum and ester on the aftertaste. Caramel and sugar nips away as the taste gently fades. Soft lingering spice. Lots going on here. Nothing over the top. Nothing all at once. Very subtle overlapping notes. Easy to pass up if you just gulp it down (after all it is very drinkable despite the slightly higher than average ABV for the varietal). Nice warming notes result. Overall a solid brew with non-traditional aspects in an otherwise well layered Ale. 3.5 out of 5. Good. When I got to the second glass the apricot fruit notes really came through. Looks like this becomes more apparent the colder the brew gets. Apricot jam and pectin like, but still very drinkable.

11-08-2013 03:33:15 | More by digitalflood
tillmac62

South Carolina

Pours amber with a head which dissipates fairly quickly. Solid carbonation. Not much of a nose, just hints of fruit, no hop presence. Light bodied. Taste is balanced with malt sweetness and fruit against a faint bitterness that is more noticeable on the clean, crisp finish. A good drinkable, but not complex, beer.

11-01-2013 20:11:37 | More by tillmac62
stella77artois

3.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a warm pint glass.

A - Poured a hazy amber with an approximately 1" head. Head was "loose" and dissiapted rather quickly. A good amount of carbonation visible.

S - Mild malts, a general fruity smell. Noted apricot, banana, strawberry, and perhaps a hint of candy sweetness, like Starburst or citrusy taffy. These were all faint aromas, but it's a nice smelling beer.

T - Mild malts are noticed, and a general light fruity taste. Difficult to pick up flavors, but I noticed hints of banana and strawberry. Also some dankness. Not a lot going on, but this isn't a bad beer.

F - Certainly sessionable. Crisp and refreshing like a good pale ale should be. A fair amount of fizz felt, slightly dry finish. Not good tasting to enough to session with under most circumstances, but I can picture doing so.

O - Actually slightly better than I expected. Decent pale ale, nothing outstanding and nothing I'd buy, but I'd drink again.

10-30-2013 13:00:58 | More by stella77artois
Deanosaurus

Missouri

3.84/5  rDev +13.3%

Tried a glass of this beer at a bar near my apartment called Snibo's. Just a small sports bar and grill, nothing special, borderline hole in the wall, which is good. I was intrigued by the vague name and neat design of the tap for this beer and was not keyed in on any of the flavors by the bartender. She gave me a sample first then I decided to order a glass.

- Appearance (4/5)
Sort of orange and sharply clear. No real head to it which I thought was strange.

- Smell (4/5)
Fruity. Didn't have too much uniqueness to the scent but I couldn't really place it right off the bat.

- Taste (3.75/5)
This is where the beer failed me. As I said I was not keyed in on any flavor so I was prepared for just about anything, but not this. It was sort of metallic and my first though was that it tasted like blood. Then that would subside and it tasted almost like an ale on the finish, but then the metallic taste still lingered.

- Mouthfeel (4/5)
It wasn't smooth, mildly bitter which made it tingle a little bit on the tongue, but in a sort of refreshing way. If I could equate it to any type of soda it would have the same feel as a Fresca or Squirt with a similar taste.

- Overall (3.75/5)
#9 was good. A sort of mysterious beer and I don't typically hear much about it. I would probably order it again once spring and summer roll back around, but it's not something I absolutely HAVE TO HAVE. I looked it up later too and it seems that the key flavor was apricot which I thought was interesting. Glad I didn't know ahead of time because I would have been disappointed.

10-18-2013 15:15:27 | More by Deanosaurus
MickeyBeer

3.61/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this beer up in a variety pack at the local grocery store. I have had this beer before, but this is the first time that I will be writing a review on it.

A- Beer pours a golden orange color with a minimal half finger or so of head. Head dissipates rather quickly and the beer leaves some lacing along the glass. Carbonation within the beer does not appear to be very active.

S- Smell is pretty mild, but has sweet and malty aromas. Almost a little bit of a spicy smell and hints of apricot.

T- Much like the smell it is a sweet and malty. A very minimal hop bite is present. Fruity apricot taste is there, but is not overbearing. Aftertaste is a bready.

M- Mouthfeel is rather light and the beer goes down smooth. Carbonation is also light and makes the beer pretty easy to drink.

O- A good beer that is not really special in any one area. I wouldn't mind having one or two, but not necessarily a beer that I would seek out if I am looking for something complex.

10-16-2013 01:17:40 | More by MickeyBeer
DmanGTR

1.85/5  rDev -45.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Poured orangey yellow with a hazy body and a white puff of head that diminished quickly. Aromas of pale grains, wheat twang, boiled vegetables, mild citrus, and an odd earthy tone blended with the apricots that is simply off putting. Flavors are very similar, with more of a fruity kick in the finish. Big carbonation for the thinnish body. Not really my thing.

10-11-2013 04:06:21 | More by DmanGTR
burnerfinger

3.35/5  rDev -1.2%

poured from the 12 oz bottle into my new Belgium goblet:

A: just a bit darker than amber, extra clarity, modest bone white head that settled quick and left NO lacing

S - sweet, and very understated on the nose

T - hmmm not bad but not that good either, just a bit of taste overall! no hops at all far as I can tell, really just a touch of malitness

M ; not bad at all! crisp - I think this is what macros wish they were

D VERY drinkable, consider this a session beer.

10-05-2013 04:39:07 | More by burnerfinger
bgillespie

3.6/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Light Gold see-through color with a small head.

Smell: Fruity smell up front.

Taste: Nice taste that matches the smell. Fruity, but also similar to a pale ale.

Mouthfeel: Goes down smooth.

Overall: One of my favorite beers from Magic Hat, easy to drink and taste like a pale ale with fruit. A go to beer from Magic Hat

10-03-2013 03:09:25 | More by bgillespie
pls2087

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured in a pint glass.

A: Orange-golden color; very minimal head which dissipates quickly.

S: Citrus, grainy (like bread)

T: Apricot, slight floral flavor

M: Light, no lingering aftertaste

O: Enjoyable, clean fruit beer. Apricot flavor not too overpowering; nice finish.

10-01-2013 00:31:34 | More by pls2087
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

3.54/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

355ml bottle poured into tulip 23/9/13

A clear light copper, lots of bubbles sticking to the inside of the glass and bubbles of all sizes feeding a large, loose soapy foam that sits for a few minuets slowly falling to an island leaving lots of spider web lace deep down the glass

S honey, peach and apricots, some floral notes and sweet grains, I was expecting some hops but not much in that department

T much like the nose, a little sweet, fruity and grainy, I wasn't really expecting a fruit beer and the fruit has a candy aspect going for it, not sure if it tastes real

M lighter side of medium, prickly bubbles, a lingering bread and apricot aftertaste

O decent beer but nothing to write home about, something I could see my wife drinking

just another fruit beer, nothing worth searching for but could serve a purpose on a hot sunny day

09-24-2013 16:39:56 | More by wordemupg
WunderLlama

3.56/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a pilsner glass

Orange golden amber with decent carbonation and slight white foam cap

Citrus and orange hop aroma dominates

Nice , clean citrus hop with clean finish. no bitter aftertaste. Light to light medium mouthfeel. Good beer with a pleasant taste. Repeat ale but not a first choice, perhaps a third our fourth selection.

09-19-2013 00:58:58 | More by WunderLlama
horshamguy

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

12 ounce bottle into 22 oz. TGIF/Ruby Tuesdays/Applebees glass.

A--Nice head at first. Dissapates into a nice white coating. Leaves very respectable lacing. Color is a hazy shade of gold. Overall, it looks like something that'll make me happy.
S--Sweet, very sweet. Lots of fruitiness; apricot is most apparent. Reminds me of a Belgian made with candy sugar.
T--Follows the nose at first. Sweet, fruity, mostly apricot. I think they note that it's, "not quite a pale ale" b/c of the dominance of the malts over the hops. Hops are actually not very apparent, but the malts are quite prominent.
M--Crisp & refreshing. Maybe a bit tannic/dry at the end, but I'd still call it quenching.
O--Solid across the board. Nothing truly outstanding, but very good in all aspects. I keep getting reminded of a Belgian, maybe an apricot lambic or something like that. One way or another, I approve. I think it's the best of the sampler case I bought.

09-11-2013 01:59:41 | More by horshamguy
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

3.28/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: A hazy light amber body, topped with a fizzy white head that recedes to a light film. Decent soapy lacing on the glass.

Aroma: Immediate candy sweetness with aromas like apricots and dried fruit coming to mind. Faint grains hidden underneath.

Taste: Like the nose, the palate is blasted with fruity sweetness immediately. Strange notes of clove or ginger linger around the sweet apricot body.

Mouthfeel: A bit watery.

Overall: I like this, but it's got too much going on with the sweetness, and not all that complex. Pretty drinkable though.

08-31-2013 16:02:34 | More by JuicesFlowing
57md

3.55/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I can't believe that it took me this long to review this very drinkable classic from Magic Hat.

Appearance is a light golden copper with half a finger of head that dissipates quickly. Apricots poke through in the nose and the flavor profile as well. The finish is mildly (stress that word) hoppy with a sweet note as well.

This is a fine beer and very sessionable. It is NOT great by any means. This is s great gateway beer for people just starting to take an interest in craft brewing.

That said, if you are looking for a creative use of apricots in beer, try DFH Aprihop - it is superior to this offering in every way.

08-30-2013 03:34:16 | More by 57md
SteveB24

4.11/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

i think this beer should have scored higher, because of the wide range it pleases. it can't be held to the standard of the beers that score high around here perhaps, but I've never found someone to dislike it, and it should get credit for that, i find it hard to find beer that please drinkers with picky taste like me and the less finicky drinkers.

08-29-2013 23:39:43 | More by SteveB24
Ryan_Graham

Iowa

3.83/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful color. Reddish gold color. One finger head that sustains. Carbonation is steady. Sweet smell. Good initial taste. Smooth with a light mouth feel. Starts out strong but lacks any depth. No aftertaste. Overall, it's a pretty simple beer. Won't blow you away. Would be good for a summer day.

08-15-2013 01:50:18 | More by Ryan_Graham
Weisseguy1

3.76/5  rDev +10.9%

A. Ruddy in appearance more reds along with a two finger head that stays for a few.
S. fruity smell apricot bread, if there is such a thing. Maybe it's magic?
T. Tastes of woodiness then to fruit
M. Slight bubbles to a round flavor, full and finishes with fruitiness
O. I was pleasantly surprised. This beer is not a hop fest by any means. I didn't expect anything though since the bottle is very quiet about its contents. Overall I think for whatever class it may fall in, it performed well.

08-12-2013 02:08:54 | More by Weisseguy1