Roxy Rolles - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Roxy RollesRoxy Rolles

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.10% ABV

As the leaves line the trees with colors bright, the Autumnal Amber Ramble comes into sight! Roxy Rolles pours in her wake foliage fallen and a perfect pairing of malt and hops.

(Beer added by: indiapaleale on 10-13-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Roxy Rolles Alström Bros

HEADYdb, Jun 02, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -60.4%

chippo33, Mar 13, 2013
1.7/5  rDev -55.1%

$1.70 for a 12 oz bottle at Jacks. Pours out to a clear deep mahogany, forming a medium-sized light khaki head with average retention and some sparse lacing. Moderate carbonation. The aroma is butterscotch, citric hops, sweet malts. Reminds me alot of Manitou Amber Ale. Mouthfeel is soft with a dry finish and medium body. Taste is quite dry and a recap of the aroma. Bitterness is very plain and moderate in intensity. Little to no sweetness. They must have a very high attentuation yeast, because this is the 3rd magic hat brew which has absolutely no residual sugars. Grainy with a grain husk bitterness. Chemical through and through.

Not acceptable. The aroma is nice, but the taste is horrible. Down the drain this one goes. I have to give Magic Hat kudos for being singlehandedly the worst brewery I've experienced in the last 5 years.

Mitchster, Feb 09, 2008

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012

Rochefort10nh, Nov 18, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -44.6%

i am very mixed up about this beer.

loved it in the 'batch #' series, and the first time i drank a RR 12oz'er, i was disappointed. thought it tasted like hoppy #9. i am sitting down once more, with my last bottle, to give it a fair shake.

it looks excellent. pours amber, like its style namesake should imply. slightly hazed, overall clear. thick, creamy off-white head reduces to a bubble and cream topped haze. lacing spirals down where the foam was in slightly saggy circles.

smells sweet and fruity at first.. i guess its the rw yeast, but i also think it reminds me of the so-called apricot note they inject into their #9. whatever it is, i call it a pungent tart fruitiness that i normally don't associate with hops. there is certainly a little char smokiness to the malt in the nose, but that dissipates as soon as that tinged tang of sourness invades my nostrils. for a 'hoppy' amber, i'm not smelling success.

well, it tastes hoppy. it's like blind faith, with a salty, bready, almost pretzel-like addition to boost the malt bill. something lingers angrily in my mouth. the hops are extremely metallic, and this beer even manages to come off as boozy at just under 6%. oh, this is just foul. this is much worse than the first bottle (from the same pack). this review is over. i can't even go on. this beer must be falling apart and rapid speed (best by feb 07, according to the bottle).

*wipes tongue with sleeve*

goodbyeohio, Dec 04, 2006
2.1/5  rDev -44.6%

Appearance - Medium brown color...almost orange like, and slightly cloudy. White head disappears after one sip, but with some decent lacing.

Smell - A strong smell of grapefruit slapped me in the face.

Taste - A bit too citrus-y for my tastes, and wasn't comforting. It immediately strikes me as a beer for summer, although it was part of a winter pack I purchased from Magic Hat, so it seems out of place.

Mouthfeel - It has zip, with a lot of activity as it sits on the tongue.

Drinkability - This is a beer that defines what craft is all about, so kudos for that. But it's not one I want to drink again. However, I could see others liking it

jbertsch, Dec 19, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -43.8%

Disagreeing with the Bros on this one...

Appearance, lacing, mouthfeel all perfectly fine; only I didn't want to feel it in my mouth. I wanted it to go away.

Although no seeming microbiological flaws, the beer definitely seemed under (or weirdly) attenuated. Too residual-worty and with the oddest damn hop mis-balance I've experienced in a while. The notion of the overly tropical fruity hops doesn't help the whole ordeal either, but generally (sorry MH), this tasted like someone's early-effort homebrew. Sorry, a total miss for me.

lilbrewmonkey, Sep 27, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -42%

I has this in a mixed pack, and was quickly turned off. Pours to a reddish brown color, with an ok head. Smells like flowers, from all the hops in it.The taste of the Hops are not overwhelming but they are still there in force, rather bitter, but has a slight sweet character. Not good.

whtguitarguy, Dec 26, 2009
2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

TWStandley, Oct 30, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -39.8%

The pour raises a light tan one finger head over a clear ruby-amber body. The head falls quickly to surface bubbles and a glass ring. The lacing, though, is quite sticky and resilient. A beautiful beer! The nose is very hoppy, with citrus-like bitterness evident. A bit of caramel sweetness, too. The taste is very hoppy, almost abrasive, with a vegetable-like off flavor overshadowing the nice caramel sweetness. The mouth is pretty thick, with some smooth carbonation. This beer was bought at random, and I will not be drinking it again.

mjc410, Dec 27, 2006
2.35/5  rDev -38%

12oz. brown bottle, best before the end of Feb 07 notched on label.

From the bottle cap: “Don’t try to prevent a predestined event”

Fuzzy garnet. Big bubbled steady tan foam that slowly dimples down leaving some strands of droopy lace. Aromas are of soft pine, caramel, fleshy peach, and stone fruit as well as a solvent-like cast floating on top. Roxy is not rolling as there are no carbonation streams. The flavor is of pine splashed with watered grapefruit juice leading into a strange metallic and vegetal-like finish. An odd and unpleasant mushy, moldy fruit flavor adheres to the tongue lending a greasy feel. Thin and watery mouthfeel, lacking any body whatsoever, and the carbonation is nearly non-existant. An unenjoyable beer that rolled right into my sink.

hopsaplenty, Jan 11, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -37.2%

This poured as a nice looking beer, deep reddish brown. Also, at first sniff, the bottle foretold much promise: bountiful hops and sweet malty, fruity tang... but all was for not. In the mouth, the viscosity was proper (nothing to write home about but proper). The taste was bitter with no balance. It left the pallet with a kind of rotten cabbage flavor. I love magic hat, but I think they skrewed the pooch on this one.

DangerVoltage, Oct 31, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -37.2%

I'll make this one quick and to the point. Way too hoppy for my liking. Given the style I know that America Amber's can have a wide range but the others that I've had have been a lot more on the malty side.

The taste and the smell are very floral, I couldn't pick up much in the malt area.

Mouthfeel is nice though, smooth and just right in the carbonation.

If you like beer's that have a very hoppy presence this one is for you, otherwise might want to stay away from this one.

bolus14, Sep 28, 2009

avisong, Apr 14, 2012

mitch3114, Jun 21, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34%

Purchased a 6-pack of 12 oz. bottles on 8/16/2009. Note how the label has changed from last fall---"Roxy Rolles" biker is drawn a bit different.

I should start by saying that I was disappointed with this year's version. I remember being pleasantly surprised in the past, as I haven't always enjoyed many of the Magic Hat beers.

Pours a very rich, dark, hazy amber color, with a small head and minimal lacing. Nice floral hop aroma that I recall from past versions. Unfortunately the predominant taste for me was overly sweet caramel malt; couldn't taste the hops too much, even after allowing the beer to sit and get close to room temp. Weak finish with very little hop bitterness lingering. Surprisingly thin mouthfeel. Drinkability pretty low due to the overall disappointing thinness.

I should qualify this review by saying that maybe I just had a bad batch(?) or my home refrigerator might have been set too cold and thereby ruined the beer. It didn't taste like how I recall it in the 3 or 4 previous years' versions.

egreenbery, Aug 19, 2009

barnzy78, Nov 28, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -33.2%

The beer poured nice with a decent head and I was anticipating a seasonal joy that only comes from finding warmth from the cold. Sadly, they filled this tank with a bit too many hops for my taste (I'm a malt guy, so I'm a bit biased here). If you like hops this is the beer for you. If you want to hang out next to a fire and talk to the opposite sex, know this bad boy has an aftertaste that will make you fear the dragon breath that comes screaming from your mouth.

Hawthorne, Apr 16, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -28%

Pours a translucent darker amber color, with a smallish yet sticky head. Aroma involves hops, and that's about it. It's very herbal and crisp. Holy hell! Hops domination in the flavor, too much for my taste actually; mainly because there's no balance whatsoever. Any malt character is almost nonexistent, and the bitter puckering hop character is way too strict, without any of the preferred flavors I like from very hoppy beers, such as citrus, herbal, spicy stuff. Sadly, I am stuggling to finish this brew. I'm sure some hopheads will enjoy this, but if you like a more complex hoppy beer, seek other choices.

AudioGilz, Nov 22, 2006