Roxy Rolles - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: indiapaleale on 10-13-2006

As the leaves line the trees with colors bright, the Autumnal Amber Ramble comes into sight! Roxy Rolles pours in her wake foliage fallen and a perfect pairing of malt and hops.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Roxy Rolles Alström Bros
Ratings: 608 | Reviews: 460
1.84/5  rDev -51.3%

$1.70 for a 12 oz bottle at Jacks. Pours out to a clear deep mahogany, forming a medium-sized light khaki head with average retention and some sparse lacing. Moderate carbonation. The aroma is butterscotch, citric hops, sweet malts. Reminds me alot of Manitou Amber Ale. Mouthfeel is soft with a dry finish and medium body. Taste is quite dry and a recap of the aroma. Bitterness is very plain and moderate in intensity. Little to no sweetness. They must have a very high attentuation yeast, because this is the 3rd magic hat brew which has absolutely no residual sugars. Grainy with a grain husk bitterness. Chemical through and through.

Not acceptable. The aroma is nice, but the taste is horrible. Down the drain this one goes. I have to give Magic Hat kudos for being singlehandedly the worst brewery I've experienced in the last 5 years.

2.12/5  rDev -43.9%

i am very mixed up about this beer.

loved it in the 'batch #' series, and the first time i drank a RR 12oz'er, i was disappointed. thought it tasted like hoppy #9. i am sitting down once more, with my last bottle, to give it a fair shake.

it looks excellent. pours amber, like its style namesake should imply. slightly hazed, overall clear. thick, creamy off-white head reduces to a bubble and cream topped haze. lacing spirals down where the foam was in slightly saggy circles.

smells sweet and fruity at first.. i guess its the rw yeast, but i also think it reminds me of the so-called apricot note they inject into their #9. whatever it is, i call it a pungent tart fruitiness that i normally don't associate with hops. there is certainly a little char smokiness to the malt in the nose, but that dissipates as soon as that tinged tang of sourness invades my nostrils. for a 'hoppy' amber, i'm not smelling success.

well, it tastes hoppy. it's like blind faith, with a salty, bready, almost pretzel-like addition to boost the malt bill. something lingers angrily in my mouth. the hops are extremely metallic, and this beer even manages to come off as boozy at just under 6%. oh, this is just foul. this is much worse than the first bottle (from the same pack). this review is over. i can't even go on. this beer must be falling apart and rapid speed (best by feb 07, according to the bottle).

*wipes tongue with sleeve*

2.12/5  rDev -43.9%

Appearance - Medium brown color...almost orange like, and slightly cloudy. White head disappears after one sip, but with some decent lacing.

Smell - A strong smell of grapefruit slapped me in the face.

Taste - A bit too citrus-y for my tastes, and wasn't comforting. It immediately strikes me as a beer for summer, although it was part of a winter pack I purchased from Magic Hat, so it seems out of place.

Mouthfeel - It has zip, with a lot of activity as it sits on the tongue.

Drinkability - This is a beer that defines what craft is all about, so kudos for that. But it's not one I want to drink again. However, I could see others liking it

2.2/5  rDev -41.8%

Disagreeing with the Bros on this one...

Appearance, lacing, mouthfeel all perfectly fine; only I didn't want to feel it in my mouth. I wanted it to go away.

Although no seeming microbiological flaws, the beer definitely seemed under (or weirdly) attenuated. Too residual-worty and with the oddest damn hop mis-balance I've experienced in a while. The notion of the overly tropical fruity hops doesn't help the whole ordeal either, but generally (sorry MH), this tasted like someone's early-effort homebrew. Sorry, a total miss for me.

2.22/5  rDev -41.3%

I has this in a mixed pack, and was quickly turned off. Pours to a reddish brown color, with an ok head. Smells like flowers, from all the hops in it.The taste of the Hops are not overwhelming but they are still there in force, rather bitter, but has a slight sweet character. Not good.

2.36/5  rDev -37.6%

The pour raises a light tan one finger head over a clear ruby-amber body. The head falls quickly to surface bubbles and a glass ring. The lacing, though, is quite sticky and resilient. A beautiful beer! The nose is very hoppy, with citrus-like bitterness evident. A bit of caramel sweetness, too. The taste is very hoppy, almost abrasive, with a vegetable-like off flavor overshadowing the nice caramel sweetness. The mouth is pretty thick, with some smooth carbonation. This beer was bought at random, and I will not be drinking it again.

2.43/5  rDev -35.7%

12oz. brown bottle, best before the end of Feb 07 notched on label.

From the bottle cap: “Don’t try to prevent a predestined event”

Fuzzy garnet. Big bubbled steady tan foam that slowly dimples down leaving some strands of droopy lace. Aromas are of soft pine, caramel, fleshy peach, and stone fruit as well as a solvent-like cast floating on top. Roxy is not rolling as there are no carbonation streams. The flavor is of pine splashed with watered grapefruit juice leading into a strange metallic and vegetal-like finish. An odd and unpleasant mushy, moldy fruit flavor adheres to the tongue lending a greasy feel. Thin and watery mouthfeel, lacking any body whatsoever, and the carbonation is nearly non-existant. An unenjoyable beer that rolled right into my sink.

2.43/5  rDev -35.7%

I'll make this one quick and to the point. Way too hoppy for my liking. Given the style I know that America Amber's can have a wide range but the others that I've had have been a lot more on the malty side.

The taste and the smell are very floral, I couldn't pick up much in the malt area.

Mouthfeel is nice though, smooth and just right in the carbonation.

If you like beer's that have a very hoppy presence this one is for you, otherwise might want to stay away from this one.

2.5/5  rDev -33.9%

This poured as a nice looking beer, deep reddish brown. Also, at first sniff, the bottle foretold much promise: bountiful hops and sweet malty, fruity tang... but all was for not. In the mouth, the viscosity was proper (nothing to write home about but proper). The taste was bitter with no balance. It left the pallet with a kind of rotten cabbage flavor. I love magic hat, but I think they skrewed the pooch on this one.

2.51/5  rDev -33.6%

The beer poured nice with a decent head and I was anticipating a seasonal joy that only comes from finding warmth from the cold. Sadly, they filled this tank with a bit too many hops for my taste (I'm a malt guy, so I'm a bit biased here). If you like hops this is the beer for you. If you want to hang out next to a fire and talk to the opposite sex, know this bad boy has an aftertaste that will make you fear the dragon breath that comes screaming from your mouth.

2.6/5  rDev -31.2%

Purchased a 6-pack of 12 oz. bottles on 8/16/2009. Note how the label has changed from last fall---"Roxy Rolles" biker is drawn a bit different.

I should start by saying that I was disappointed with this year's version. I remember being pleasantly surprised in the past, as I haven't always enjoyed many of the Magic Hat beers.

Pours a very rich, dark, hazy amber color, with a small head and minimal lacing. Nice floral hop aroma that I recall from past versions. Unfortunately the predominant taste for me was overly sweet caramel malt; couldn't taste the hops too much, even after allowing the beer to sit and get close to room temp. Weak finish with very little hop bitterness lingering. Surprisingly thin mouthfeel. Drinkability pretty low due to the overall disappointing thinness.

I should qualify this review by saying that maybe I just had a bad batch(?) or my home refrigerator might have been set too cold and thereby ruined the beer. It didn't taste like how I recall it in the 3 or 4 previous years' versions.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Not a good beer at all.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

Pours a translucent darker amber color, with a smallish yet sticky head. Aroma involves hops, and that's about it. It's very herbal and crisp. Holy hell! Hops domination in the flavor, too much for my taste actually; mainly because there's no balance whatsoever. Any malt character is almost nonexistent, and the bitter puckering hop character is way too strict, without any of the preferred flavors I like from very hoppy beers, such as citrus, herbal, spicy stuff. Sadly, I am stuggling to finish this brew. I'm sure some hopheads will enjoy this, but if you like a more complex hoppy beer, seek other choices.

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%

poured from bottle into pint glass.

a- copper, ruby, depending on lighting. very clear. nice thick fluffy head, lasts a while but leaves little lacing.

s- smells like a bitter hop bomb, grapefruit

t- very bitter, very hoppy. some citrus, grapefruit

m- crisp carbonation. medium body.

d- this beer is very very bitter and hoppy. if thats what you like... buy it. its a little to overwelming for me. ... i dont know what the ibu rating is but imo its more bitter than hop stoopid which says 102IBU right on the bottle. overall a pretty good brew, i wont buy it again.

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Am I chewing a resin bag? Hops mellow out a bit after the beer breathes for a little while but just a wierd, biting hop flavor that does not linger at all. No residual oils. Only lasting flavor is a mild malt bittersweetness. Poured a red-stained brown in color with a slight head that evaporated to a thinner veneer. Medium body that thins out the deeper into the glass I find myself. The shiny hop flavor was a bit too much and not true to the style. Novel take but not sold on this beer.

2.82/5  rDev -25.4%

Even with a gentle pour I could only fit half of the bottle into my imperial pint. Very frothy off-white head, somewhat sudsy. It was a good 3 fingers thick a solid minute after the pour. The color is a bright and clear red tinted amber. Great lacing is left behind.

A very hoppy nose, but decreases substantially once the head dissipates. There is a nice caramel maltiness left behind.

It is slightly bitter in the beginning, but nothing overly impressive. Pretty bland if you ask me, maybe it was a bad batch/bottles I'm not sure. A dusty caramel flavor dominates the palate.

I thought RR to be highly carbonated but still held onto some creamy characteristics. A lighter medium bodied beer that finished a little bitter.

I have had this beer before and didn't remember it being so blah. But hey, I have developed a much greater appreciation for craft brews, so maybe my palate has evolved and I now expect more from a "hoppy amber ale". It didn't quite meet my expectations...so I couldn't rate it any higher.

2.84/5  rDev -24.9%

I was excited to find this "hoppy amber" ale, my first from Magic Hat. I was sorely let down.

A: 2+ fingers of a yellowish, tan head over a dark amber and ruby. Spotty capped retention and some lacing.
S: Heavy yeast aroma. Really heavy. It smells like sourdough that is ready for the oven. The aroma is also hiding a metallic note, before becoming an overpowering malt bomb. I may be finding spice, but I can't be sure.
T: Hmm. Spicy, but I can't name specifics. Peppery, just a bit. It's really perfumey from the hops, which is nice. The taste is roasted, as are the residuals. There's a lingering bitterness hanging out in the way back of my mouth. Really bready malts, a tad fruity, meanwhile totally bland. Does that make sense? It seems like the flavors just aren't working together, and it makes me want to say, "meh".
M: Light to medium body, heavy carbonation, and tons of residual stickiness that happens to be more malt than hop.
D: I was looking forward to a fresh, hoppy amber ale...as that's what I was promised! This is super malty and actually a bit hard to finish. But I bought a 6er and I will drink the rest.

2.91/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I drank some Roxy Rolles in a winter mix pack from Magic Hat. Needless to say i wasn't impressed. The flavor is way too overwhelming and forces you to take your time drinking it. Certainly not a easily drinkable beer. I kept having to switch in between with the other beers in the pack. Not sure what yeast they used but it was way too dry and had way too much body. Try it once and then leave it.

2.95/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Cold 12 oz bottle poured into tapered pint glass. Beer pours a reddish-brown amber with zero head.

First sip is sharp and carbonated, with a chalky English hop bitterness. Citrusy and well-tempered, but mostly mild and uninteresting.

Why is this so highly rated?

2.95/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer as part of a mix pack that I bought in Burlington VT. Bottle is marked for best by February (I had it in December).

Poured into a pint glass. Toasted marshmallow color head that last fairly long and has some good lacing. Cloudy appearance with a reddish brown color.

Strong hop nose to this. Even though I believe that it doesn't fit the style. You can smell that the hops are fairly fresh smelling and strong.

Flavor follows the smell. Strong hops with very little sweetness. Full body.

I am a bit surprised by this beer. Seems like it will be a very malty brew but isn't at all. Almost tastes like a dark IPA its so hoppy.

If a friend offered me one I wouldn't turn it down but I can't say that I would seek the ends of the earth for it. Over all an okay brew flavor wise but not very indicative of the style.

2.95/5  rDev -22%

Brought back some Baltic Thunder from Victory the other weekend and ended up with a bottle of this in a trade. Thanks DG.

Pours a clear, perfect amber. The exact color in between red and brown. There’s a half finger of head that quickly disappears leaving some large bubbles and some nice thick lacing.

First nose was a large floral bouquet of hops. All the notes similar to pale ale traits. Unfortunately, can’t get any of the traits from the amber ale. Seems this Hoppy Amber Ale is a little more hoppy then ambery.

Characteristics in the taste are similar to a pale ale too. Something is off in the aftertaste, sour is the only way to describe it. I get a split second of caramel sweetness up front, but then it’s overpowered by hop bitterness and the sour aftertaste. Not enough balance to call this an amber ale.

I thought this brew was ok and it made a better pale ale then anything else. The combination of the other characteristics didn’t shine through like I was expecting though.

2.95/5  rDev -22%

Bottled poured to pint glass.

A: deep cloudy brown color, 1 finger fast thinning head
S: very hoppy, earthy, roasted malt, sweet
T: very hoppy, smoothes to roasted malts, earthy amber, smokey, some caramel
M: decent, initial hoppy bite, smoothes out, good aftertaste
D: so-so

Not something I'll reach for again, but decent beer.
Comparable to Clipper City's - Small Craft

2.95/5  rDev -22%

Pours a clean amber color with a small white head. Aromas of a sweet malt and a small hop presence. In the taste, a dry hoppiness and a balance sweet malt. A bitter and somewhat watery mouthfeel and a dry hoppy aftertaste. A nice big hoppy presence, but not much flavor, yet easy to drink.

2.97/5  rDev -21.4%

In all respects an average brew... wasn't blown away by this one and wouldn't purchase another sixer again... Wasn't crazy about Magic Hat's Circus Boy offering, and this one really didn't do it for me either... all in all, a mediocore brew which wasn't entirely poor, but not outstanding either... The appearance was a dark brown copper color which poured with no head, even after swirling the last two-thirds of the bottle... The smell was somewhat bland... basically just about average... the taste was peculiar... hard to describe but a little medicinal... the mouthfeel and drinkability were okay but nothing to write home about... this beer tastes sweet and has a slightly bitter aftertaste... an interesting brew to sample, but wouldn't spend another $8 bucks on a sixer... Worth a try if you are a fan of Magic Hat...

3.02/5  rDev -20.1%

A - both beer and head are caramel in color, with the beer having a slight ruddy and cloudy characteristic, with moderate carbonation

S - a nice combination of caramel and IPA style hoppiness, an inviting aroma indeed

T - first thing is a citrus/hoppy up front taste, with an attempted sweet slickness that never really surfaces, but tastes as if its trying, it really could use that sweetness for both complexity and balance, otherwise its rather normal

M&D - bitter with no balance, but a drinkable beer with a decent feel to it, but really could use some sweetness in the background, lurking

Roxy Rolles from Magic Hat Brewing Company