Roxy Rolles - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Roxy RollesRoxy Rolles

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.10% ABV

As the leaves line the trees with colors bright, the Autumnal Amber Ramble comes into sight! Roxy Rolles pours in her wake foliage fallen and a perfect pairing of malt and hops.

(Beer added by: indiapaleale on 10-13-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Roxy Rolles Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

Another unique beer put out by magic hat. Pours amber in color with a white/tan thick head that quickly dissapates. The aroma is interesting, floral citrus hops with an apricot fruitiness that balances the hop aroma. In the flavor the hops are more pronounce leaning toward the citrus side with the apricot flavor in the background. Creamy mouthfeel with mid-level carbonation. Overall a very drinkable beer, not a typical amber ale, but I think what makes it different makes it worth seeking out.

tigerdoc, Jan 11, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -2.4%

pours reddish copper with a thin, beige head that quickly fades.

smells hoppy with greens and maybe a hint of citrus.

tastes strongly hoppy at first, but fades into the greenry/citrus present in the smell.

mouthfeel is light with good but fast-fading carbonation.

overall a pretty good beer, but magic hat makes better. not too strong amongst the holiday brews.

adamks, Jan 08, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +16.9%

Went to the store to buy some sort of IPA, when the employee asked me what I was looking for. I said that I was on a hop kick and he practically begged me to try this beer. I looked and noticed that it is am amber ale, not the IPA I originally intended. I took the leap of faith and was rewarded!

12 Oz bottle poured in to a pint glass.

A: Deep reddish mahogany, when held up against the light it is a beautiful amber/reddish. The head did disappear faster than I would have liked, but gorgeous none the less.

S: The smell let me know that this was going to be a good beer. Crisp fresh cut lawn, citrus, and hoppy but not overpowering.

T: Wonderfully balanced, hoppy enough for the hopheads, yet not too much to turn off the average beer drinker. I thought the malt shines through in the after taste. Didn't seem to have heavy alcohol.

M: Light to medium carbonation. Slightly acidic.

D: Definitely a great beer to bring to a BYOB event. Wonderful taste and at 5.8% you won't be legless after a few. Definitely try this one, not to heavy in any direction!

blackheartbilly, Jan 05, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

I got this one in a winter 2007 Magic Hat Mardi Gras Mix pack. I think Magic Hat is hugely under rated, anyone leary of Magic Hat will be sold on this one. Full of Hops and very drinkable, I could swill these any time. Hope I spelled leary correct! The rest of the mix pack is equally good or just score a sixer.

454onbeerss, Jan 05, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a ruddy copper with a small head that laces like crazy. Smell is dark malts, honey, citrus hops and earth.
Taste is dark and cloying. Seems to appear in the back of the throat. The honey sweetness balances well with the citrus hops. There's notes of pine in the finish as well.
Smooth and slick and very drinkable.

kirok1999, Jan 01, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

"See with your heart. Hear with your head."

Pours a foggy reddish amber. Oh, man. This nose. Talk about grass. Just a huge pile of freshly cut green grass in it's prime. At the same time it is spicy, and for the love of me, I can't pinpoint what precisely it is. As I was pouring it I got a whiff and just had to focus on it for a while. It calms down fairly soon, so get it while the gettin's good. Flavor is massively earthy and robust. Has a nice leafy tone to it and a firm hop quality to it as well. Stays very consistent throughout. Feel has some good carbonation to it and a liquid feel that is very good as well. Overall this is a good drink. Definitely worth trying, especially to get a whiff of that oh-so-unique nose. Suggested.

RblWthACoz, Jan 01, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +4.2%

I like hoppy beers and wasn't disappointed by this offering at all.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass. Ruby/amber color with an off-white to light tan head. Not brilliant, but nice and clear. Head formed by tight bubbles that left a bit of lace on the glass.

Had a citrus nose, which is to be expected from this hoppy brew. I also got some woodsy tones as well.

Nice, hoppy flavor that wasn't overpowering. Hops definitely dominate the taste, but the malt is balanced enough to stand up - a nice showcase of citrusy hop flavor. Aftertaste was pleasant, not too strong or hot in any way.

Medium mouthfeel/body with a noticeable degree of carbonation, but not effervescent.

I enjoyed this beer, so for drinkability, I would definitley say "Yes, give me another!"

kevinglin, Dec 28, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -11.6%

I enjoyed this beer, despite a lot sweet sweat hop smell and flavor that I believe is viewed as a defect in beers. Nonetheless, I thought it pretty good.

This beer pours a dark amber/red/birch beer color with a nice head that fades to a scummy coating. Aroma is fruity and sweaty, but hoppy and not unpleasant. Flavor is more sweaty sock hoppiness which I believe is technically a defect yet I find to be pleasant. Finish is smooth and full, with a lot maltiness imparting a full mouthfeel that I liked.

I'd recommend this beer, but it hardly knocked my socks off. I bought this beer at Brew&Brew in North Ridgeville, OH. The good people of Magic Hat recommended I drink it before May 2008.

BeerBelcher, Dec 27, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Presentation: Poured from a brown 12 oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Label depicts a biker, with Roxy Rolles worked into the glare from the headlight. Cap wisdom: "Who's at Fault for the Asphalt Vault." Indeed.

Appearance: Pours with 2 inches of light tan head that settles slowly into a nice head, leaving behind a lair amount of lacing. The beer itself is a bright ruby color, crystal clear, and with some activity.

Smell: Grapefruit and herbaceous hops upfront with a hint a caramelly sweet malt.

Taste: Strong hop flavor upfront, but not as spicy as you normally get from dry-hopping. Hints of malt in the middle, but really rolls right into a medium level bitterness, with little else.

Body: Average body. Carbonation seems a little low.

Drinkability: Not bad, but not great either. Starts pretty strong with hoppy smells and taste upfront, but fades rapidly with little ot back it up.

beveritt, Dec 23, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Nice reddish brown color with a creamy white head that slowly disappears.

S - Hops, slight grapefruit, sweet.

T - Lots of hops. Very piney hops. Mild bitterness. Funny after taste.

M - Medium bodied, good carbonation.

D - Nice appearance, some good lace. Smells good, but the taste is average. It tastes like an IPA.

jeffmonarch, Dec 18, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -21.4%

In all respects an average brew... wasn't blown away by this one and wouldn't purchase another sixer again... Wasn't crazy about Magic Hat's Circus Boy offering, and this one really didn't do it for me either... all in all, a mediocore brew which wasn't entirely poor, but not outstanding either... The appearance was a dark brown copper color which poured with no head, even after swirling the last two-thirds of the bottle... The smell was somewhat bland... basically just about average... the taste was peculiar... hard to describe but a little medicinal... the mouthfeel and drinkability were okay but nothing to write home about... this beer tastes sweet and has a slightly bitter aftertaste... an interesting brew to sample, but wouldn't spend another $8 bucks on a sixer... Worth a try if you are a fan of Magic Hat...

dsa7783, Dec 18, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz bottle poured into SA glass

A: clear amber/ruby in color, with 1+ finger white head and fairly light carbonation

S: grapefruit rind, piney hops, orange and a spicy note I'm unable to discern

T: piney hops and grapefruit prevail with a little caramel hiding out

M: medium light in body with nice carbonation, more fizz on the tongue than there appears to be in the glass

D: nice beer, not outstanding. I will be having a few more of these this afternoon

Rainintheface, Dec 16, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -13.5%

Sampled from 12 oz bottle, poured into pint glass. Cheers to Magic Hat for making it to MI! A "hoppy red ale" per the label.

A: Looks like your typical amber. Minimal head. As clear as can be.

S: Smell is definitely more on the IPA side. Big bitter grapefruit smell. A touch of sweetness, but not the malt that you would expect.

T: Taste is rather average. Very little caramel or malt that I would expect from an amber. Nice hop flavor at the back of the sip. Strange aftertaste

M: A little thin for my tastes.

D: Clean and crisp, I would drink a couple of these.

Overall, a good beer, but nothing special. More like a pale ale than a red.

mjd83goblue, Dec 16, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -12.1%

As my rating suggests.... average.

A: Brownish Red with a thin white lacey head. Not much else can be said here.
S: Hops! Definitely of the noble kind. Tettanger, Hallertau variety i think... reminds me of a younger styled Victory Hop Devil.
T: Hops! and well ok... malt to back it up. Id almost call this an amber pale ale. I still cant get out of the notion that this is almost like a Hop Devil.
M: This is of the thinner variety. There is some body to this beer but it slides down quite quick.
D: this hop devil errrr... i mean roxy rolles is pretty decent. Drinkable? yea definitely, i could knock back a few of these. Would i buy a whole case? thats another story.

Jettanbass9, Dec 14, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz. bottle into a mug.

Pours a dense, cloudy burnt-orange/amber body with a fair amount of light tan head. Retention is good and the lacing is excellent.
The aroma is on the sweeter side: candied grapefruit and mandarin orange, cane sugar, and a foresty, piney hop note (probably some centennial at work, too). Really nice aroma.

Flavor, you ask? Sweet, chewy candied malts, caramel, floral & fruity yeasts, and a nice hoppy bite to round out the experience. Mouthfeel is fairly decent: thinnish-medium body with a decent carbonation level and a good, lingering hop note as it goes down. Drinkability is quite high for this amber, as it is with many of Magic Hat's brews. It's not overly complex, but packs enough flavor and character change to keep the senses entertained. Definately easy to put away a few at a time, and have no reservations about going back for more in the future.

wagenvolks, Dec 13, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

saw their feast of fools sampler and gave it a shot, they've always got interesting brews ; pours a med brownish-amber color w/ a nice stiff, light brown, one finger head which lingers most of the way down leaving a thick lacing all the way down my pint glass ; a powerful floral/citrus hop aroma coming across as a little "cattish", not any discernible maltieness ; a thick hoppy flavor w/ a tart bite rather than bitter, a slight caramel note somewhere deep underneath, i get a pear-like fruit undertone as well ; a rich, med. bodied beer just under cloying, the dextrin level in this beer is a bit much, i kinda like it though ; a fairly drinkable brew, much better than alot of Am. ambers, another good, wierd beer from the wizards at Magic Hat...

animal69, Dec 12, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +5%

Magic Hat usually disappoints me, not that their brews aren't good, it's that some of them just aren't TASTY- till now.
Magic Hats Roxy Rolles is right up there with Ithaca's Cascazilla and Troegs Hopback Amber.
A definite seasonal must have for me. Great!!!

ohoove, Dec 08, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +21.4%

Pour is medium amber without much head. Lacing though, nice lacing. Heavy citrus on the nose, more than I was expecting. Sweet.

The brew starts off nice and bitter, but then the malts take back over and a sweet malty tone jousts with a delightfully light citrus hop flavour.The hops are present, asserting themselves, but refuse to destroy the tongue. Wonderfully sweet without being sugary. Exceptionally balanced. A ground-breaking amber.

In terms of mouthfeel, this has some body, certainly more than I would expect for a beer of this ABV, and the hop bitters are solid as well. Drinkability: an easy beer to drink, smooth, and inexpensive given what you're getting in the bottle, a definite rebuy.

The bottom line: Magic Hat has put together one hell of a fine amber here. It has a great hop presence without overwhelming the malts, and a delightfully full body, all at a reasonable price. Probably my first pick when I'm in the mood for an amber from here on out.

CortexBomb, Dec 08, 2007
3.3/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a working glass. Found in the Feast of Fools 12-pack.

Nice red-amber in color with a rocky light caramel cap. The head dropped quickly, but left huge amounts of sticky trails along the glass. Signs of medium carbonation.

The aroma is light, but complex. Mostly fresh, piney hops. Bitter orange rinds, maybe light cherries. Malt notes are very subtle and sweet.

Taste - A little bit of that cherry-like sweetness up front, then sappy, resiny, citrusy bitter takes over. The bittering is quite strong, and lingers in the mouth for a long time. Pine and bitter in the aftertaste. It's interesting and the hops flavors are fresh and powerful, but it simply isn't balanced correctly for the style.

Medium-heavy mouthfeel, medium carbonation.

Quite drinkable, great hops flavors and surprisingly bitter for the brand. The most interesting offering from Magic Hat that I've tried.

BiereBlanche, Dec 08, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Deep amber with a light tan head that was gone in 60 seconds. Nose of raw green hops gives way to caramel, then diacetyl. Flavor was initially the same, but with the hop profile increasingly giving way to the caramel maltiness and diacetyl. I am a fan of diacetyl, but it was more than necessary. I was overall pleasantly surprised in this beer as I do not really care much for most of this producer's portfolio.

dedrinker, Dec 04, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

12oz. bottle

Pours a clear amber-red with a small tan head that fades. Nice lacing on the glass.

Aroma is heavy herbal hops with just a hint of caramel malt in the background.

Herbal hops upfront with a boatload of IBUs to follow. A bit of caramel malt appears just before it finishes dirt dry with another blast of hops. Bitterness lingers.

Medium body, nice carbonation.

Definitely the hoppiest beer I've had from Magic Hat, but just falls short for me. A little balance would go a long way with this one-trick pony.

MaltyGoodness, Dec 04, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

Just picked up a twelve pack last night. It is really tasty but not very strong. I do love reds so here we go...

A- Appearance is nice dark red ale pretty thick with not a lot of head at all.
S - I didn't get a whole lot off the smell of this beer. I was hoping for more than what I got.
T - Really nice taste with lots of hops. Not a lot of taste at the end.
M - Really heavy. Heavier than expected.Not a lot of carbonation.
D - Average. It is really heavy for an amber ale or a red ale.

slvrmon82, Dec 04, 2007
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had this beer as part of a mix pack that I bought in Burlington VT. Bottle is marked for best by February (I had it in December).

Poured into a pint glass. Toasted marshmallow color head that last fairly long and has some good lacing. Cloudy appearance with a reddish brown color.

Strong hop nose to this. Even though I believe that it doesn't fit the style. You can smell that the hops are fairly fresh smelling and strong.

Flavor follows the smell. Strong hops with very little sweetness. Full body.

I am a bit surprised by this beer. Seems like it will be a very malty brew but isn't at all. Almost tastes like a dark IPA its so hoppy.

If a friend offered me one I wouldn't turn it down but I can't say that I would seek the ends of the earth for it. Over all an okay brew flavor wise but not very indicative of the style.

jneiswender, Dec 02, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +9.5%

Aroma: A light metallic note with some American citrus "C" hops in the nose. A little bit of biscuity and carmel sweetness fades in and out. I get the same "grain profile" as some other rye ales I've had but I don't think this has any rye in it. Although, you certainly can't tell a darn thing by looking at any Magic Hat labels.

Appearance: Brilliant brick red pour with a pillowy white head. The retention is nice and the beer looks still just sitting in the snifter.

Flavor: More rye bread flavors, biscuity notes, followed up by leafy and citrus hop bitterness. Just a touch of spiciness which could be hop driven. It's well balanced and knits together well with the bready malt base. Finish is clean, crisp, and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied with medium carbonation. No alcohol heat or astringency detected.

Overall impression: A hop driven well balanced amber. I have to admit, I don't care much for Magic Hat beers. I don't want to "hate" because I know they are good folks and there are plenty of other fans out there that enjoy their beers. I'm just not in that category. Still, this is one solid amber. Very balanced and enjoyable. Clearly the winner for me from this brewer.

mattcrill, Dec 02, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +13.5%

Bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Dark amber with a very small half inch head with decent lacing through the beer. More seasonal color than a traditional amber.

S: Well, theres the hops. Sweet caramel smell with not overwhelming maltiness.

T: Didnt expect this level of hops based on the IBUs but very good. Citrus matched the aroma and the caramel malts were quite delicious.

M: Biscuit like with the bitter aftertaste from the hops.

D: I was surprised how much I like this one - enormously drinkable. Had at bar and looking forward to picking up a six.

One of the top seasonals in my opinion. Next to 9, my favorite MH offering.

marcpal, Dec 01, 2007