Lucky Kat - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Lucky KatLucky Kat

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Beer added by: jjayjaye on 02-14-2008

Lucky Kat purrs as he pours with a grin on his mangy face and a grin in his searching eye. He sits on the fence he calls home, dividing up from down. Is he an imperial beast or a pale soul from the east? Only he knows and we know only this: if you reach out to pet him he'll bite back with a big, hoppy kiss.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lucky Kat Alström Bros
2.22/5  rDev -37.3%

Aroma: Moderate fruity esters. Carmel notes and sweet candied fruits. Hops? What? I must have missed them.

Appearance: Deep, clear amber colored pour. A sticky white head that retains reasonably well.

Flavor: Carmel malt notes up front. An earthy, spicy hop bitterness to balance. Some darker fruit notes in the background. Balance is nearly even. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium-high carbonation. No alcohol heat or astringency.

Overall impression: Not an American IPA. An American Amber at best. Way to carmelly and fruity for an IPA. Try again.

2.3/5  rDev -35%

I was served this beer on tap at the Blue Tusk in Syracuse, NY

I was initially surprised by the light copper color and very little head that greeted me.

Not impressed with this effort.

I thought it offered no balance and was way too sweet.

Initial hop bitterness but this doesn't last and you are left with a sweet aftertaste with no balance.

No hop flavor lingers.

Move onto your next available choice.

2.33/5  rDev -34.2%

A: Two fingers worth of head; darker for an IPA. The carbonation is very apparent from the pour.

S: Slightly hoppy - not very intense but a very pleasant smell. No form of grain or barley present.

T: Stronger than the smell. The bitterness of the beer was quite enjoyable and there was a distinct hop taste. This IPA was better than average in taste, but not the best I've had (it lacked the boldness of other great IPAs).

M: Very bubbly, not smooth at all. The beer became more malty as it warmed but was carbonated to the point that the mouth feel was the least enjoyable aspect of the beer.

D: Not the most drinkable beer, it would be hard to have more than one of this beer due to the strong bitterness and heavy carbonation.

2.43/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a clear amber orange with a fizzy one finger beige head that quickly fades into thin ring. Not much in the lacing department.

Very earthy dirt hop aroma with some dry pine notes and a bit of caramel malt that has some nut and biscuit character.

Very watered down with a lot of literally earthy hops up front that taste like dirt with a caramel biscuit malt backbone that provides a bit of balance and a very odd unpleasant metallic aftertaste.

2.44/5  rDev -31.1%

20 oz pour at Suspenders, Wall St, Manhattan.

Medium amber arrived with almost no head; no lacing, either.

Aroma is redolent of piney and floral hops, smells pretty good. First sip is nice, unassuming malt delivers a fairly large wallop of hoppy flavor and then a rather tongue-searing bitter finish that lingers eternally. Taste is good but the effect is unbalanced, just not enough sweetness or other malt flavor to offset the bitterness; in the end complexity and drinkability suffer greatly. The bitter aftertaste accumulates to almost give a cigarette ash taste in the mouth. It's too bad, because the hops taste nice, but you can't just suck on hops (or at least I don't want to).

Food would likely redeem this beer, and the astringent sour bitterness might provide a nice counterpoint to St Louis BBQ ribs, or fries, or a burger drenched in KC Masterpiece; my ratings are for the beer standing alone.

2.59/5  rDev -26.8%

Look - Awesome artwork, cool cat. Sweet notches in the label to tell you when the "best by" date is. Love the little sayings under the caps. Pours yellow-brown and settles light amber in the glass. Cloudy with very little fizz. Decent, foamy head.

Smell - Smells of malt and hops, just what I expected from an IPA, nothing special here.

Taste - Instant hoppy bite, followed by little to no creaminess. I was hoping for more flavor or some zing, also would have been better if it were a tad bit creamier.

Mouthfeel - Hoppy mouthfeel, pretty standard for an IPA, no point here for originality.

Drinkability - Pretty drinkable if you like this style of beer, which I tend to. A pale ale would probably be more preferred by the average drinker.

This isn't as good as Blind Faith (by Magic Hat), and for a really good APA try Fat Angel (by Magic Hat).

This beer just doesn't stand up against the others of its kind by Magic Hat.

2.64/5  rDev -25.4%

It only goes downhill when the best comment you have about a beer is its artwork, albeit very impressive. Nevertheless, 12 oz. bottled poured into a Stone Brewing shaker.

Partially cloudy with faint carbonation and 1/4" head. If there was lacing, I might need corrective lenses.

The only thing I detected in the nose was biscuity malt.

Tastes like a bad mixture of sweet berries and syrup. The hops could be lurking, but are engulfed by the aforementioned ingredients.

Buttery with little carbonation. The aftertaste is actually better than the initial taste.

This was somewhat difficult to enjoy overall, so I'm confident I won't ask Lucky Kat for another date. I've consumed a lot of Magic Hat's line, and most of it tastes alike. I don't know if this is necessarily a good thing, but hey, at least they are consistent. Off the mark for an IPA, which despite the claim on the bottle, could be why the Bros. categorized it as a pale ale.

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%

Normally a Magic Hat lover I was left dissapointed with this entry to the lineup.

A - A nice penny brown color added to my anticipation however there was not much head on the pour, again this was dissapointing.

S - This aroma seems to lack the robustness of IPA's that I have become so aquainted with. An extremely light hop scent with hints of grapefruit and citrus.

T - Aroma and flavor are not very congruant. A bitter perfume like flavor that lacks the balance of malt. Aftertaste is slightly metallic.

M - Good mouthfeel on this for an IPA. Finishes in the back of the mouth.

D - I wouldn't say that its a bad beer, but I also wouldnt go out of my way to get it again. More balance would be a major benefit.

2.71/5  rDev -23.4%

I'm just not digging it. A nice copper-colored beer, just gets more boring from there. Seems to completely lack that hoppy "brightness" that I like so much. Not a whole lot going on in the nose on this beer...decent hoppy bitterness lingers... it's drinkable, and I'm not hating's just, with so many other great IPAs being produced locally (Ipswich, Smuttynose) this is something I wouldn't go out of my way for at all.

2.72/5  rDev -23.2%

Lucky Kat IPA

Appearance: This beer pours a crystal clear amber orange with bright red highlights. The head is nearly non-existent with only a thin white lacing around the sides of the glass.

Smell: For an IPA this beer has little to no hop aroma. Instead, there is a slight caramel malt character with a hint of spicy undertones. Deep in the back of the aroma is a minute character of fresh peeled lemons. There is a slight fruity ester which actually reminds me of a nice English bitter.

Taste: There is a slight caramel malt sweetness followed by only a minute spicy hop character. The only other notable hop characteristic is a distinct lingering, borderline harsh, high alpha hop bitterness. This coupled with the slight alcoholic warming makes for an unexciting and one dimensional finished.

Mouthfeel: This beer is extremely thin with a light to mild carbonation. The light body of this beer makes it easy to pitch back, but definitely not as full as I would expect from most IPA's.

Drinkability: The light mouth feel of this beer coupled with the mild flavors makes it fairly drinkable. I pitched back quite a few from the six pack I bought in one night and they went down smoothly throughout the evening.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: This beer just doesn't have a lot going on. I would not say it is a bad beer, but it lacks the characteristic citrus and floral aroma and flavor that I find so enjoyable in my IPA's. The saving grace of this beer is the fact that it's easy to drink and goes down smooth. However, I doubt most people looking for an IPA want to pitch back a light and un-complex beer. Get it to try once, but don't look for it to solve your quest for the perfect American IPA hop bomb. ;)

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Lucky Kat pours a deeper amber than most IPAs. Slightly copper with a decent amount of head that leave solid lacing. THe aromas are mainly caramel malt along with citric hop character that isn't amazing, yet works well. The flavor is slightly sweet upfront with some hop character. Grainy malt and a one sided hop character are the main flavors. Not a great IPA, but still drinkable. Nothing to seek out yet drinkable for what it is. HiPA is probably the best IPA put out by Magic Hat lately, but Lucky Kat might be more palatable for the masses. Much more balance. THe mouthfeel is slightly light to medium for an IPA.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Amber pour with a small off-white head that had some staying power. I thought the scent of this was fairly mild for an IPA. Mild on the citrusy hops, but heavier on the malt than I'm used to for this style. Malt seemed to be the dominant flavor and there was little bitterness. The hops seemed almost an was also the most notable aftertaste. I would have much preferred it to be more hop forward. This was a bit of a turd for me.

2.76/5  rDev -22%

[Best served in a Lager glass]

It poured a cloudy amber with a reddish hue in color almost like a dark cider. It had a very small tan head that was fully diminishing and had fair lacing that did a good job of sticking to the glass.

The aroma was mild of a toasted bread malt, a piney hop and a touch of an earthy yeast with hints of citrus and caramel.

The taste was surprisingly mild with the with a touch of malts and a hint of caramel in the beginning, then becoming a tad more on the bitter side with a note of citrus at the end. The flavor was left to linger well after the swallow allowing some mild enjoyment until the next sip.

The mouthfeel was a little light in body for an IPA and had a semi-dry texture to it with a nice soft carbonation.

Overall kind of mild for an IPA. Although nice tasting and quite drinkable, most definitely could have stepped it up a notch in the hops department.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This poured a clear gold with moderate off-white head. It smelled like faint orange and lemon hops with bready yeast. It tasted like dirty lemon and orange hops, and some bready yeast. It was slightly thick with some carbonation, and had a dirty aftertaste. Overall this was a bad brew, and one of the dirtiest IPAs I've ever had. It was missing all the bright, bold, sharp, clean flavors that make the style worth drinking. Instead this was bland and worthless. It had moderate body, which is the best thing I can say about this beer.

2.79/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured into a Perfect Pint glass. Formed a thick, three finger, pearl head. Wow...this foam has some stayin' power! Very slow dissipation, down to a single finger thick layer; left a thick blanket of lace on the sides of the glass. The body is a hazy combination of orange, amber and golden hues.

The nose is pretty weak...meh. Some hops up front...more on the piney side. You can also pick up a sour, yeasty aroma in the background.

Hmm...the flavor of this beer reminds me more of an American strong ale rather than an IPA. Fermented fruits and malts up front that fade into a slightly hoppy (bitter) finish. The bitter end is not pleasant though...burnt rubber-ish...blah.

Light-medium mouth feel, slightly oily with mild carbonation.

This is somewhat drinkable. You get used to the finish eventually, making it tolerable. I would not reach for this if I want an IPA though...

2.79/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. The beer was copper colored with a thick white froth. The aroma is bitter but not hoppy per se, and the taste is the same, just a bitter ale with none of the flavors I want out of an IPA (citrus or pine or whatnot). The body was OK, fairly thick, but the overall drinkability was only average.

2.82/5  rDev -20.3%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of off white head. It is a deep amber almost copper in color. It smells citrusy and bready. There is not much taste up front. I get the hops on the back end. There isn't a whole lot going on here. I'm getting kind of a metallic taste. It's not real hoppy. I'm glad I didn't buy this.

2.83/5  rDev -20.1%

The beer poured a clear golden amber with a thick, rocky head into a 12-oz pilsner glass. A faintly sweet smell - not discernable hop aroma, which was odd for an IPA. The initial taste was slightly sweet, with hints of corn, finishing with a fairly dry hop bite. Not what I expected in an IPA, and I was a bit put-off by the slight vegetable "corn" flavor. Not their best effort.

2.85/5  rDev -19.5%

I really wanted to like this beer - but I'm am not surprised I didn't.
It looked very good - bright, golden amber with a fluffy white head that left smears of lace on my pint glass. Nice, steady carbonation with great clarity - no protein left to haze up here. ;(

The aroma was almost non existent - a major flaw in any IPA and what I could smell was mild butterscotch and a spritz of earthy hop. I swirled and stuck my face in - I got nuthin.

Flavor was watery malt and a strong bitter bite - no describable flavors, just a low level sugary sweetness, a slight Tang citrus note and heavy handed boiling hops. Very little in the way of late addition hop flavor as this beer seems to be all about the raw and uninteresting bittering at the back end.

Body is a thin medium and even as it warmed to near room temp it never gained any fullness or hop character.

A very mediocre beer, with bland and generic sort of flavor. More bite than a Harpoon IPA but even less drinkable.

2.88/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a deep reddish honey color with just a touch of haze. A light tan head that stays aloft reasonably well. Nice lacing.
Smell is malty, fruity and a lot less hops that I would expect.
Well the hops make an appearance in the taste but not in a good way. Still malty but watery at the same time then the hops follow but rather mild and just end up leaving a bitter aftertaste in the back of my mouth.
On the heavy side of light with some oiliness. Fairly subdued carbonation.
I can get it down alright but wouldn't buy this one. A mediocre offering from Magic Hat.

2.94/5  rDev -16.9%

12oz. brown bottle poured into an imperial pint. Notes.

A: Pours a deep amber. Decent head with some retention and lacing.

S: Not a ton of aroma. Some citrus and maybe grassy notes. There's a big metallic aroma, too.

T/M: Bitterness is pretty weak. Not much of the American hop profile going on. Very English in style, grassy, herbal, musty. Malts are light and grainy and balanced a bit much. body is medium and a bit overcarbonated. Still, a metallic taste.

D: has that Magic Hat flavor to it.

2.95/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured a bottle at Roberto's.

Cloudy orange color. A peach syrup malty aroma. A minor hop presence in the aroma. I would expect this aroma from a lager. Peach and malt up front, hops way in the back. I understand I am a hophead but the mouthfeel seems unbalanced favoring the malty(democratic) wing over the republican(hops). Not a bad beer but if I want an IPA then I want nothing to do this with this "IPA."

2.96/5  rDev -16.4%

From bottle to pint, a solid, rich, orange-brown. One finger head dissipates rather quickly but leaves prominent lacing.

Aroma, un-remarkable. I'm not picking much up here. Mostly malt with some hint of straw hops. Either I'm congested, or there really isn't much to go on.

Taste is a bit surprising given aroma noted above. Palete met with a sharp cheddar-cheese like assault of bitter hops and weak malt background. Bitter flavor lingers quite well. Virtually no hint of any citrus like many in its class; said citrus might balance well with the sharp bitterness of the hops.

Mouthfeel is okay, seems a bit over-carbonated.

Drinkibility is adequate.

Overall, I'm not finding much to this IPA beyond the sharp bitterness. Definitely is lacking an eclectic hoppy, pine, citrus, or malty mix - any of which would provide a pleasant backbone to balance the rather mundane hop flavor. Although I like bitter hops,there isn't much else here.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

With a vigorous pour this amber colored brew gives up a good two finger off-white frothy head. Head retention was average, but the lacing was beautiful.

I am getting a total aroma of piney goodness from this one. It reminds me of the pine forests of my childhood.

The body seems to me a little bit on the light side and the hop bitterness kicks in on the way home. I would have liked to have seen a rad more malto-dextrines in this one but overall a solid replacement for Fat Angel. This is definitely a brew that I won't shy away from when I belly up to the bar.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

Magic Hat Lucky Kat is a hazy amber ale with a frothy, off-white head that fades to bubbly film and leaves outstanding lacing. It has a sweet, malty aroma with notes of dried fruit. It has a pretty smooth medium-light body that's a little flat and a little watery with a slightly gritty finish. It's a little sweet and a little bitter-- pretty well balanced. It tastes grainy, doughy and a little cheesy. It kinda tastes like old hops that went early in the boil. Is this an ESB? This is an acceptable beer.

Lucky Kat from Magic Hat Brewing Company