Odd Notion - Braggot (Winter 2008) - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Odd Notion - Braggot (Winter 2008)Odd Notion - Braggot (Winter 2008)

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Braggot |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: waldoiverson on 10-15-2008)
Reviews by blakesell:
3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Beer pours cloudy and yellow with a substantial two finger head of bone colored cream on top that quickly dies to a murk around the edges. Lacing clings to the sides of the glass. Looks a lot like a wheat beer.

Smell- Smells more like wort than a full on beer. Sweet creamy notes and sweetness. I catch hardly any honey but it is there the more I smell it. Lighter malts on the nose, and no hops. Since I love wort, this is faring well for the beer later.

Taste- Sweet and juicy like a pear, there is a little pear flavor, but it's more like when you bite into a ripe pear, that kind of juiciness. Honey is light and flavorful, but I'm getting a whole lot more of the base beer than anything. Creamy and fairly interesting.

Mouthfeel- Sweet, creamy, medium low in carbonation and medium light in body.

Drinkability- Very nice, maybe even something good to see in a six pack. I think it would cater well to the beginner craft beer drinker due to the still beer-y flavor but still very sweet aftertaste.

blakesell, Apr 06, 2009
3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From the winter variety pack. In a snifter the beer was a hazy orange color with a medium-sized white head. It had a sweet, floral aroma. Taste was wild honey and pine. Pleasant, not outstanding. I read on the label that honey was in the beer, but I must say I've had better braggots.

lordofthewiens, Nov 26, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The head builds up to medium size, light foamy toping with a light tan color. It quickly fades out to just a light ring of lace which is slick and slides right down the glass as I drink. The body has a lightly hazy hue with a wonderful golden honey color.

Smell: The aroma has notes of sweet honey and light malted grain with just a faint touch of citrus.

Taste/Mouth feel: It has a very smooth creamy mouth feel that coats the palate with its sweet honey and malty flavor. Also there is a mild earthy and leafy spicy quality under that big honey and malt sweetness. Carbonation is soft and the body is a solid medium. Its finish is slow and sweet.

Notes: This was my first Braggot style beer so I have nothing to compare it to, although I will say that my overall impression was very positive.

generallee, Feb 24, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

12oz brown bottle with a drink before freshness date on the back label.

Thick three fingers of head with some good lacing action, dull hazy orange amber color. Smells of honey, orange blossoms, cake batter with a fruity pear yeast tone. A little smooth with a slick crispness off of the full-ish body. Slight buttery fruity character throughout, heavy hand of grain and fermented honey mingling upfront. A breath of alcohol is present but is only slightly warming. Finishes a little dry with lingering yeast flavors.

Decent, I'm glad I tried it but it is one of those beers that after you have one you want to move on.

Jason, Nov 07, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Appears a honey golden orange mango flesh hue with a large bright white head forms thick and leaves behind even lacing as it dwindles, fine speckled lacing with each sip from my glass. Aroma has a very floral honey infused sweetness thing going on. Earthy rustic notes thick cut wheat bread and big dirty hop compounds. Flavor is surprisingly not that sweet, compared to other meads or honey infused brews out there, this is excellent. Sweet honey sharpness at times between that experience is a light toasted grain dough with yeast added. Mouthfeel is medium bodied carbonation is effervescent yet not too heavy, nothing lays it on to heavily clean finish maybe a little floral honey tones hang around but it never becomes cloying. Drinkability is soild all around a nice flowing complex winter ale from Magic Hat, possibly one of the better Odd Notion creations since the dark mild.

WVbeergeek, Dec 06, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -13.4%

Got this in a mixed sixer at Whole Foods on Ponce in Atlanta. This is my first foray into braggots so I'm really not sure what to look for.

Pours a slightly hazy gold color with a one-finger white head. The head dissipates into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a thin ring around the glass. There's not very much lacing.

Smells of noble hops with mild floral and honey undertones. The honey comes out more as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells. There's a decent amount of hop flavor up front, followed by a honey sweetness and a mildly bitter ending. There's also a slight amount of sourness.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness, but the carbonation is a bit overpowering at first. The beer smooths out as the carbonation continues to stream from the bottom of the glass.

Drinkability is alright. It's certainly not something I'm clamoring to have again.

Overall this may or may not be a good example of a braggot, but I do know that I probably won't be buying this again anytime soon. Worth a shot just to try the style.

glid02, Nov 04, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is only my second Braggot I've ever had, the other had the addition of Maple Syrup so this will actually be my first straight version.

This puppy pours out a hazy orange-amber color with a good amount of carbonation and a rather fluffy, white head that has moderate retention and leaves a but of foam at all times.

The nose is very interesting with ginger scented malt, tart fruits and sweet fruits, clover and slight banana's, wheat and herbs in the back.

The flavor is a honey-sweet malt that becomes tart and fruity with fermanted grapes and and a grainy, wheatie flavor that makes it light feeling and very crisp. There is a nice smooth finish from the smooth middle. This is very interesting flavor spectrum, reminds me of a crisp, malty mead with a fruity, tart edge.

This was very easy to drink for a strange style, keep the ODD balls coming!!!

GratefulBeerGuy, Nov 26, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a cloudy burnt orange, very "sunset" looking, and very little head. I like the tiny bits floating in suspension, which I'm assuming is typical of the style.

Aroma is honey and exotic spices I can't quite identify. Light and springy. Not bad, just muted.

Flavor offers plenty of taste impressions: honey, fresh-baked bread, anise, mint, caraway seed, coriander, orange marmalade. The more piquant spices end up dominating the finish, which is not necessarily a bad thing, although having some of the initial sweetness ride through for balance would've been even better. A nice sourness pervades.

Mouthfeel has a buttery, round center wrapped in lightly needling carbonation. Seems just right for the flavor characteristics.

Braggot is a new style to me. Reading the style description I felt it probably wasn't my thing, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. Just can't say how true to style it is. I enjoy its left-of-center character, yet for all its sweet, spicy and unusual character, it's an incredibly drinkable beer that probably has lots of appeal to a variety of beer-drinkers.

Metalmonk, Jan 27, 2009
2.78/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Odd Notion doesn't look that odd. In fact, this is a nice looking beer. It's a very rich gold color that's a little hazy. A foamy white head that's about two fingers crowns the top. It held up well and stuck around. Lacing was on the lighter side.

Sweet honey dominates the nose (despite its overall weak nature). Light citrus lemon blends with apple, pear, and peach. Definitely on the sweeter side. A musky smell emerges and opens the door for a spice surge toward the end. It's not a really strong spicy aroma and I can't identify them, save for the pepper. No alcohol is noted. It's alright. Above average, but too weak to score any higher.

The flavor profile is very grainy. I wasn't expecting that. There's some light citrus flavors and a mix of pear, apple, and peach fruits. It's a little sweet and honey permeates throughout. That's the nicest flavor here. The spicy element is much more pronounced in flavor. It appears about midway through and is intense. Pepper's definitely there, but I can't identify the others. Alcohol goes unnoticed and it finishes spicy and a little sweet. Frankly, this is an odd tasting beer. Imagine that. The combination of flavors is very jumbled and doesn't work very well. It leaves a very musky, funky aftertaste that's not good at all.

The body is light, leaning medium. Carbonation is active and distracting. It's not smooth and the spicy assault toward the end makes it difficult to really gauge the feel. Drinkability is not very good. The flavor never materializes into anything good and I'm not really enjoying it. I don't want another.

Odd Notion is a little odd and definitely not good. I'm not sure what they were going for with the flavor here. It comes across as decent parts that don't create a nice whole, if that makes any sense. This one needs a good bit of work. I can't recommend it.

prototypic, Apr 04, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

First review on this site, lets see how it goes...

A-gold-orange brown

S-it smells really nice, it has a touch of honey, flowers(?), and some spice

T-I've never had a braggot before, so I really can't compare anything. It tastes somewhat malty with a touch of honey.

M-Good mouthful, not too watery, not too heavy.

D-It's a toss up. I would certainly have another one, but maybe not a whole six-pack.

TrickFinlay2, Jan 12, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -5%

Sample bottle left over from a tasting. Yay free beer! Into the Ommegang goblet...

A - Orange tint to the body, with two fingers of white head that left some lacing.

S - The amount of mead qualities I'm picking up are impressive: floral, spice, dry and sweet base. Hops are slightly present, with some purfume notes.

T - Sweet English pale malt base seems to be dried out by the honey. Some spice from the hops, which are only present enough to balance. Some honey sweetness seems to stick around in the slightly spicy, underwhelming finish.

M - Mid to full body with normal carbonation. Nothing to shocking.

D - I really liked the nose on this brew, but in the mouth I was not quite so impressed... Seemed underwhelming, but for a style so rarely done, I love to see it. Would probally not seek out again...

SammyDavisJrJrJr, Dec 22, 2008

Enriquehopnog, Nov 22, 2013
3.4/5  rDev -5%

not too familiar with this style but gonna try to rate it as well as i can. find the appearance to be that of a lager, maybe light amber. unfiltered, no real head, not too much going on appearance wise. smell has no hops at all, lots of bready malt flavors with a strong honey presence, that of a honey wheat or something of that nature. taste is very smooth, not too much of a body. real light on the palate finished real sweet, once again going with the honey tones that are obvious with the smell. the mouthfeel is light as well, no real carbonation but not nearly the body found in heavier beers. kind of an odd combo, yet drinkability id rate as pretty high, if the flavor is enjoyable. though i don't think i'd want more than one of these, they are light, smooth, with a high alcohol thats not that noticable at all. overall an interesting beer atleast, but not entirely something i'd want to try again.

irishtjb11, Dec 16, 2008
2.6/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a bottle from the MH winter variety pack. Bottle had a Feb09 stamped date.

Poured cloudy orange/yellow with a really high foam that lingered long - noteworth retention and lacing as the head died down. Color was quite interesting.

Smell was sweet - the bottle advertised the honey and I could definitely pick this up. Other spices too, though my nose wasn't refined enough to grab it.

Very awkward taste of sweet and bitter with some malt throughout. It was a clever concoction, but not one that I can say I really enjoyed. With two bottles left from the variety back, I may try to pawn these off at a party. This one didn't work for me.

KTCamm, Feb 08, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

This beer had a beautiful orange glow appearance. The first impressions of the aroma are of spice and toasted malts. The taste of this beer has a nice complexity primarily flowery and spice. not quite sure what to think of it all but it is enjoyable tonight.
overall a great beer.

Neika, Jan 11, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a honey-orange with only a slight haze and was topped off by a monstrous 2 finger creamy ivory-almond colored head that displayed amazing retention. A thick lustrious sheet lacing clings to the glass walls as the head slowly lapses lasting for several good minutes.

S: spicy with dry tangerines and a basil hopping that was moderate in strength. Dried honey with wildflowers, and xmas fruitcake also add to the aroma.

T: opens up with musky oranges, and was thin in perception, with a dried honey breadiness. Some fruitiness of apple cider, melons, and a wildflower hopping are also well noted. There's a sharp bit of tangerines midway through the palate before gently fading to a dry honey toastedness and a gentle dampness.

M: light but not thin. Slick in texture with a light carbonation presence. A sour tangerine hopping finishes things out after the swallow.

D: Pretty solid by style, decent by itself but cant picture downing this one after the other. Worthy of a try for such a unique style.

beerthulhu, Dec 25, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

Appearance:
The head formation and retention are almost non-existant on this beer - it doesn't lace too well, either. Someone below me described the color best; it's like a darker shade of mango with an accent of brown. The beer is cloudy and lacks carbonation.

Smell:
It smells of a nutty malt with a hint of honey and spice. I can't elaborate too much on which types of each are present, but it's quite an exotic aroma that intices me to take a sip.

Taste:
The taste matches the nose well. The nut and malt characters are present in the greatest quantities, but it finishes with a nice subtle hoppy bitterness. The balance favors the characteristics that I listed, but it's not too far off from the nose.

Mouthfeel:
This beer is pretty thick with full flavor. It's quite filling and it warms the mouth quite nicely.

Drinkabilty:
The brew is definately a "sipper." I'd this characteristic definately lives up to what I'd expect from a winter seasonal.

Summary:
It's a bit odd, but quite good. I think one of the Bros said it best - it's one that you can't "dwell" on too much. I couldn't see myself drinking more than 2 or 3 of these in any given setting, but it's definately worth your time to try it.

diabecktic, Dec 07, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Golden orange with wisps of yeast that slowly clouds up the liquid. A tall, but loose head rests on top, not lasting very long. Honey, orange, frosting, flowers, and some butterscotch aromas. Now, surprisingly, I've never had a Braggot before so this is my first attempt at a review. Sweet honey and malt richness...some toasted caramel. Not bad at all from what I can tell. Not cloying in any way. Medium bodied, finishing with a light dryness. I like it, but then again it's a style I'm not all that familiar with.

wedge, Dec 13, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

reviewed from notes, this one was serve in a pint glass during a magic hat tasting i had with my brother in law down at his apartment.

Poured a very clear, honey colored amber with no head and no lace. Lots of visible carbonation streaming up in bubles from the glass throughout the session. The color on this was simply gourgeous, I had not seen anything this shade before, quite stunning actually.

here were very subtle honey aromas and hints of nutmeg and cinnamon. A nice bready grain presence as well as grapes, pears, and a bit of fig could be detected, again though Had a definate mead like feel and taste about it. Flavors were were overshadowed a bit by the alcohol. which you really needed to fight your way through. I could detect the ever so slight hint of honey, and alot of the grape flavor in it. Hints of peaches or pears could be detected as well as alot of winter like spices, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. A very complex flacor profile for sure on this.

mikesgroove, Feb 19, 2011
3.28/5  rDev -8.4%

A 12 oz. bottle, brought to me by dkachur. Thanks, Dan!

A: A slightly murky golden blonde with a rich, two finger white head. Retention is pretty good, a little patchy lacing left behind.

S + T: Honey and a bit of a spicy note. Some light, leafy bitterness in the flavour. There's a note of ripe fruitiness, but no real specific.

M: A little light, and something in the flavour makes it come across as perhaps a little watered down in some ways.

D: An interesting brew - and kudos to Magic Hat for branching out into the more obscure. It seems to be a slight miss, though, and I wouldn't see myself frequently drinking it. Worth a taste, though!

Proteus93, Nov 23, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -19.6%

Appearance pretty nice. Smelled like your average macro. I must admit I was a bit scared of this since I tried mead before and didn't care to try again. Taste was about 60% beer and 40% honey. Reminded me of a honey brown that grew up. Considered this average but probably good for the style.

rdub, Jan 06, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -7.8%

I picked this up at Whole Foods over the weekend out of habit; I like Magic Hat and their beers are usually worth trying. The fact that this is my first braggot is just a bonus. The head here is decent initially but doesn't last. The color is a translucent light golden with a hint of orange. The nose is obviously similar to honey and alcohol and clearly reminds me of mead.

This one is obviously laced in honey throughout, with a slightly bitter, dry, chalky finish. There is a lot of alcohol in the flavor for something with such a small abv. It's not really my cup of tea and since I haven't had another braggot it's kind of hard to grade. Interesting attempt but I'd rather have the extra alcohol of mead if I'm going to drink fermented bee stuff.

daliandragon, Nov 05, 2008
3.65/5  rDev +2%

A - a bright glowing orange with a minimal head. no lacing.

S - Very toasty and biscuit notes. faint hops. A touch of honey but not as much I had thought.

T - Tastes like a shortbread cookie. Very smooth and interesting with the honey flavors that linger. Not as strong as the humdinger braggot I have had. Would actually benefit from a touch more alcohol.

M - Very smooth and not cloyingly sweet.

Drink - It is definitely an interesting brew, and a rare style. Overall I think it is nice, and a great desert brew.

soccerman7, Jan 22, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Single, twelve ounce bottle purchased from the Palisade Liquor Store in Jersey City...
Appearance: Dark-orange, medium-brown hue, minimal head, minor lacing, slight carbonation present...
Smell: Honey and sweet malts on the nose...
Taste: Sweet aftertaste present with loads of honey and candied sugars... Unique style with a noticeably sweet finish... Not bad, but definitely wouldn't have more than one in a single setting...
Interesting to say the least...

dsa7783, Jan 13, 2009

Bought the Feast of Fools 12-pack for Christmas with the relatives just to get this one.

This one poured out a deep yellow with a one-finger head composed of fine bubbles. It was somewhat persistent, and left lacing on the glass.

Aroma was of sweet honey, floral yet grassy, and a bit of grains thrown in. Spices were noticeable but indeterminate.

Taste was surprisingly not striking. It was slightly sweet, but the graininess predominated. There were hints of cracked black pepper and bitter citrus peel in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was good, a little thinner than one might expect from a honey beer but overall OK.

For drinkability, this beer did not stand out. Although I am glad I got to try it (I had to buy the beer for Christmas dinner anyway), I am glad I only took one bottle of this home. I would not seek it out again.

connecticutpoet, Jan 05, 2009