Odd Notion - Poppy Agave Pilsner (Spring 2009) - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Odd Notion - Poppy Agave Pilsner (Spring 2009)Odd Notion - Poppy Agave Pilsner (Spring 2009)

good

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: thekevlarkid on 01-22-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Odd Notion - Poppy Agave Pilsner (Spring 2009) Alström Bros
Lambstrong

1.65/5  rDev -53.1%

Appearance: Pours a pale golden color with a frothy white head. Actually decent lacing compared to most Magic Hat offerings. Thumbs up.

Aroma: Pardon my French, but my initial reaction was that it smells like cat piss. I'm trying to put my finger on it, reminds my of my green beans I grow in the summer, a sort of green vegetable (peas) aroma.

Taste: Somewhat like cardboard with a stale bitterness aftertaste. Not at all pleasing. I'd rather lick stamps for an hour.

Mouthfeel: Pretty good carbonation and not overly done.

So, to sum it up, very nice appearance and mouthfeel but the taste and aroma are a completely different story. I applaud Magic Hat for trying different things with their Odd Notion series, but did they actually taste this one prior to sending it out to the public? This may be the first time I've actually thought about pouring a beer down the drain. I'm not going to and will finish it but buyer beware!

03-27-2009 02:43:46 | More by Lambstrong
bluejacket74

2.13/5  rDev -39.5%

12 ounce bottle, 5% ABV, best before end of June 2009. Served in a snifter, the beer pours a clear golden/orange color with a small off-white head that went away pretty quickly. Not much lacing, either. To me the beer smells like a typical macro lager, like sweet malt, adjuncts/grain, and also has a slight vegetal aroma. It doesn't smell bad, but it doesn't smell appealing either. Unfortunately the taste is much worse. It tastes like a bad pilsner beer, it tastes very bitter (and not in a good way). That's it, it's just a weird bitter flavor that's not appealing at all. Actually, I can taste a little bit of grassy/spicy hops, but the beer in general just doesn't taste good to me. Mouthfeel/body is light, but it's not watery at all and it is crisp. Drinkability isn't good, but then that's mostly because I don't like the taste of the beer. For every good beer like Roxy Rolles that Magic Hat makes, they make 3-4 beers like this that I just don't like. I wouldn't drink this again. I'm lucky I only bought a single bottle, I couldn't imagine having to drink more than one bottle of this.

03-28-2009 01:16:39 | More by bluejacket74
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.35/5  rDev -33.2%

Appears a pale golden, very macro esque hue forms a large fizzy head that dwindles down quickle, I don't know what killed the head retention the agave or the poppy seeds. Aroma has a mild chemical twang with light biscuit malt nose surrounded by agave juice which comes of slightly citric in nature with a good amount of acidity. Not really picking up any poppy seed nose maybe it adds a little nuttiness to the malt profile. Flavor wise though starts out with creamy sweet biscuit malts and quickly transcends through the unique agave flavor and forms a bitter earthy edge that is pretty unrelenting on the palate, slightly roasted burnt bitterness lingers. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a slight cloying bad aftertaste, a touch oily textures with bubbly carbonation and strong resilient sugar content. Drinability is weak hope this never makes it into regular production, they do many other fine brews to have to make and Agave Poppy seed psychedelic experience.

03-07-2009 03:07:27 | More by WVbeergeek
BringusKilkenney

2.4/5  rDev -31.8%

Poured a nice looking golden yellow with a small white head

Has a very floral smell with some hops and citrus mixed IN

The taste is also very floral with a bitterness mixed in the end kinda tastes like if you fermented roses and tulips not real impressed

The mouthfeel was fizzy and light the taste kinda ruined the drinkability of the beer just not a very good floral taste.

04-15-2009 13:42:54 | More by BringusKilkenney
mralphabet

2.58/5  rDev -26.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A: Golden in color... very clear... about 1 fingers worth of head that disappears quickly.... Leaves little to now lacing,

S: Strangely I'm smelling some agave, but I'm getting a smell like guacamole or maybe baby food green beans.... very strange....

T: Thank god it does not taste how it smells... very bitter right up front... then comes the poppy flavors with a lot of pepper in it... the aftertaste has a hint of green bean in it... not very pleasant tasting overall.

M: Pretty light, carbonation is not to heavy.. so the mouthfeel is pretty good...

D: Not a big fan of this one.... I love me some Magic Hat, but I can live without this one....

Thanks Magic Hat for pushing the boundaries.... I may not like this one... but I have to give it to you for trying different things.

05-12-2009 03:29:10 | More by mralphabet
jmfc8237

Delaware

2.93/5  rDev -16.8%

A- Poured a light bodied yellow sun color. Thin line of carbonation in the head. Not much lacing but had a slight haze to it.

S- I noticed a very present woody aroma mixed with what I have to guess was agave and poppy seed. But since I dont know what either of them smell like alone its just a educated guess on my part thanks to the label.

T- Had a spicy tang in the first sip. I say spicy because im not sure how to explain what happened to my taste buds. I clean freshening bite of hops and reminded me of pine trees.

M/D- Good sipper but faded as I continued to drink it. Not going to be a repeat for me.

04-08-2009 22:47:49 | More by jmfc8237
currysage1

Maine

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a pale yellow similar to macro, fluffy white two finger head, sinks halfway then refuses to leave, awesome lacing.

Smell is of light sweet malt extract, lager yeast, the agave does shine through but it is a pretty nondescript sort of honey/chlorophyll smell anyways. Slight spice to the nose.

Taste is of lager yeast mixed with slightly acrid bitter plant esters, not all that impressed overall, very lacking for something that seems to be a odd ball sort of brew, seems to me like they just wanted to use the two ingredients and thats where the actual planning stopped.

04-11-2009 05:45:14 | More by currysage1
flexinwext

2.95/5  rDev -16.2%

I've had this a few times but this is the first time I'm reviewing it. Color is a pale yellow with very little head retention. Smell is of sweet citrus. Flavor is almost wine like in its sweetness, somewhat refreshing but a little overbearing. Overall pretty average.

06-20-2009 19:42:30 | More by flexinwext
darkhalf

Smells and tastes like a typical pilsner. Maybe a little bit more hoppy than a normal pils. Hops are very floral in smell and taste. A little sweetness at the end, but otherwise the malt sweetness is very subtle. I didn't pick up any flavors of poppy or agave even though it is supposed to be brewed with those ingredients. Not a very interesting beer.

03-14-2009 21:43:41 | More by darkhalf

09-20-2013 00:57:43 | More by ejimhof
PSUBeerman

3.08/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz bottle poured in a goblet

Pours a light, very clear gold color with a white head. There was slight lacing and kept a thin head for a few minutes.

I could not pick up much of an aroma, perhaps some bitterness and spice.

The carbonation was nice, but the flavor was just not there for me. The bitterness in the after taste was most pronounced. Reminds me of a German pilsner. I sensed some of the spice, but could not pick up the poppy seed.

Overall this is very light bodied. It is easy to drink as far as mouthfeel, okay for summer. I just don't get the taste.

03-20-2009 02:58:14 | More by PSUBeerman
Stinkypuss

3.13/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a shaker glass.
Golden in color, clear and a decent head retention.

Smells of nothing. Very light floral nose as it warms.

Tastes rather bitter mostly, with a bit of light fruit at times. Mild and reminiscent of a lager. The poppy element adds to the bitterness, and just a tad of sweetness at times. Some malt and yeastiness is noted.

Easy drinking and light. Not much here to dislike but lacks a solid character.

05-06-2009 01:33:23 | More by Stinkypuss
DannyS

3.15/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in a pint glass, poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - crystal clear light amber with a thin, soapy head. Dissipates quick and leaves little lacing

S - The first time I smelled it, I got the distinct odor of horse manure. But further olfactory investigation yielded a spicy, skunky hop aroma. Still not great, but bearable.

T - Tastes like it was brewed with vegetables. The poppy is a tad kicky and the agave is apparent, but there's no definite direction to the beer's taste.

M - Watery body, slightly fizzy. Meh.

D - The ABV is low enough and the body is light enough, but the finish is unpleasantly bitter, which made this far less drinkable. Sure, i could finish this one, but I would not want more.

Overall - I'm not sold on it. But alas, it was trying something new. It didn't exactly work, but it was a unique idea, and could potentially be a better beer with more tinkering.

04-17-2009 05:05:50 | More by DannyS
mikesgroove

South Carolina

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Grabbed both the new twelve packs the other day as I had realized that there were 5 of the 7 beers in there that I have not had, and that was good enough for me. Went on an epic magic hat tasting last night and went through them all. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 06/05/2009.

Golden straw in color with a big fizzy white head on top. Light peach look to it left me a bit concerned from the start. Then I reach in to get a whiff and there is almost nothing there. Light citrus maybe, hint of grain, but really rather light and dull, a bit dissapointing if I am being honest. Light flavor as well, light fruit, touch of spice, but really rather too light and overcarbonated leaves me lost and looking for much bigger flavors here. Goes down like water, but the taste is far too light to really be enjoyable.

Overall not terrible, but forgettable, I am not sure where they were going with this, but it missed the mark for me.

06-06-2009 14:58:00 | More by mikesgroove
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

From a twelve ounce brown bottle - Pours a straw yellow color with no haze and not much carbonation or head. Smells of cereal grains and hops that are more floral than fruity dominate the nose. First sip is tasty sweet with a very light malt backbone and not much hops. There is some spice present.

03-14-2009 19:44:00 | More by ATLbeerDog
TheNightbird

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

A- Clear, bright and golden color. With little head retention.

S- Smells like a fresh poppy bagel. Odd Notion has some green earthiness to it. With a small hint of citrus in the background.

T- Odd Notion has a hard upfront poppiness which is followed up by an Agave taste. The aftertaste has a malty and bitter hop taste.

M- Thinner medium body, with a good fitting carbonation.

D- A very different tasting beer, its flavors are make it hard to pound one right after another.

06-09-2009 01:03:23 | More by TheNightbird
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottle with a best by of June 2009.

Pours a pale straw color with a decent sized head, fades a bit fast.

Smell is a light malt aroma, also picking up some coriander/lemony scent.

Taste is light and crisp but suffers from an odd aftertaste, mostly malty with a strong grassy taste that follows up (mostly the cause of the bad aftertaste), I've had IPA's that are earthy/grassy, but this is just plain grassy.

02-27-2009 03:14:57 | More by deltatauhobbit
bakeller

3.23/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from a bottle into a chalice.

A: crisp golden color. Very apple juice esque. Completely transparent. Small amount of bubbles cascade towards the top. Thin white head dissipates into a small ring around the glass.

S: Very floral nose. Slight hints of spice, pine, and citrus

T: sweet & clean pilsner malt up front with a little peppery taste. Has a funky after taste most likely from the agave or poppies . Has a slight tequila type taste. Very interesting.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, body is thin

D: Could not drink a bunch of these but think it would be a great refreshing brew after being outside on a hot summer day. Not my favorite beer from Magic Hat but still an interesting offering.

03-21-2009 23:28:03 | More by bakeller
u2carew

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

A) Golden color. Pours with a quarter inch head then settles to the outside of the glass. Active and visible carbonation. Some haze to the body.
S) Not very aromatic. Has a slight pilsner-esque smell.
T) Yeasty, just a slight orange taste. Mild sweetness. A little bitterness in the aftertaste.
M) Crisp and refreshing.
D) A decent beer. This would make a nice summer's day brew.

04-07-2009 23:06:29 | More by u2carew
CrellMoset

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Bottle courtesy of dkachur - thanks! Poured into a footed pilsner glass. Agave and poppy seeds!? Here goes nothin'.

Appearance: Pours a transparent golden body, bright and full of lively, quick effervescence, all streaming upwards towards a foamy, soapy-looking two-fingers of pure white but still a little dull head. The retention is about average - it's initially very sticky and clingy, but fades a little quicker than I'd have liked, eventually settling into an equilibrium with the replenishing carbonation at about three-quarters of a finger. A good start.

Aroma: Light and herbal, slightly fruity. Unripe bananas, a green, earthy undertone, slightly leafy. Agave doesn't come through nearly as strongly here as it does in the mouth (more on that below).

Taste: The agave comes through strongly here, backed up by the sweet, spicy malts, lending a very honey-like overtone to everything. The spices are a little harsh though, green and slightly bitter, very earthy - definitely poppy seedish, though I'm thinking cloves/coriander would have worked a little better, perhaps. A definite fruit note, akin to bananas, but greener - very unripe bananas, perhaps. An interesting blend.

Mouthfeel: Very light and crisp, and not too sticky, which is nice. Carbonation makes the mouth a little uneven, on the whole

Drinkability: An interesting attempt that falls a little short in my book, though it definitely fits the "odd notion" rubric that Magic Hat has created. A strange beer that pushes the envelope of what it means to be a ... hefeweizen? Pilsner? Glad to have tried it, but I think one was enough for me, even at 4.2% abv.

03-26-2009 19:17:56 | More by CrellMoset
daliandragon

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

Picked up last Saturday at trader Joe's in Cary. Kind of strange season for a spiced beer but I am a bit curious. Pours a light straw color with a foamy head that doesn't last long. The nose is grainy with slight notes of citrus and spice.

Strong crystal malt flavors backed with noble hops and a lot of yeast, reminiscent of a Belgian. A finishing dose of herbs adds some astringency and complexity. Not really my cup of tea here but instresting and consistent with the style as I understand it.

06-02-2009 01:19:12 | More by daliandragon
Hojaminbag

Colorado

3.3/5  rDev -6.3%

Body is completely clear with some very active carbonation and finger width of white head. has a little retention as the head settles to a small ring that is someone splotchy on top.

A pretty herbal aroma from the agave and poppy I assume. Not a ton going on here though.

The agave and poppy dominate the flavor also, maybe a little too much. Some sweet pilsner malts barely come through. Slight earthy hop presence, but very slight. Agave is the most noticeable flavor with a blast of poppy. This is an interesting beer, but I'm not convinced that it works.

A very dry mouthfeel with a thin body and some medium carbonation.

Pretty average drinkability, I think I will be slow to open a second one of these.

01-24-2009 23:48:40 | More by Hojaminbag
Beerbuddha

Louisiana

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance- This beer pours a very clear, golden color with a thin white head which disappates quickly.

Smell- Very odd smell. Pilsner malts are present, not much hoppiness that I can tell. A very weird spiciness is noticable which I guess is the agave.

Taste- Strong maltiness with an odd spiciness. The hops are more present in the taste than in the aroma. Interesting fruity sweetness accompanied by an odd vegetation taste.

Mouthfeel- Crisp, clean with a medium body.

Overall- Not a bad beer but an odd beer. The name is fitting. They know it's odd so I'll give it too them. At least they're having fun brewing different stuff.

08-03-2009 02:20:37 | More by Beerbuddha