Wacko - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Wacko is the liquid song of summer: Crisp like the morning, cool like the evening and quenching all day long. Pop the top and set your summer loose. Wacko is a delicious summer beer with a big malty aroma, a subdued hop bite and a clean, slightly sweet finish.

(Beer added by: thekevlarkid on 02-28-2009)

Travisnin, Nov 14, 2011

gribytj, May 08, 2012

gundam115, Aug 18, 2012

laurastradford, Dec 16, 2012

thespk2011, Nov 17, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +66.7%

Weischej, Jun 02, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +58.9%

pours a clear rose-tangerine with slight ruby grapefruit head that rises fluffy and settles slow. light lacing. interesting. somewhat reminiscent of SNose Hanami...

fruity malty nose. sweetish. so, this is beet. not vegetal in the least. nice.

tangy initially, then an extreme malty/yeasty punch! very dry finish. you return and swallow. perfect mouthfeel, crisp and thickish (for the style) makes this come together (it seems) as intended. a refreshing, unique beetbrau that would go well with brats, pizza, thai, itself! sure, sweet potato fires. an all-around 'unique' brew that i am surprised is so looked down upon here!

quite recommended.

mempath, May 08, 2010

tgavrilos, Jul 19, 2012

BarrelAgedBarry, Feb 29, 2012

tfsimpkins, Feb 10, 2012

Silentraven37, Jan 22, 2012

gater_ade, Sep 17, 2014
4.45/5  rDev +56.1%

I'm in the minority here.This brew hits the mark that it's shooting for.Poured into a chilled glass on a hot summer night,I found this to be very thirst quenching and totally satisfying.
It's not intended to be anything but a quality summer thirst quencher and it is.
Crisp and clean.

thefinn, Jul 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +50.9%

I definitely get the smell of citrus here...a good deal of lemon. Par for the course for a summer seasonal.

Taste wise, a very refreshing brew. Very drinkable. Very little hop character at all in the front; not a "crisp" beer at all. I get a decent amount of lemon in the body here, but it is definitely not an overpowering taste at all. While some beers go overboard with citrus and end up being tart, this one definitely isn't. The finish is very grainy...definitely some wheat here. No hop bitterness at all in the finish. Aftertaste is pretty clean, a little sweetness remains on my tongue.

The drinkability here is off the charts, I'd say. While the beer isn't likely to please those who are looking for an ultra-complex beer, this style isn't really supposed to be that way. For a summer beer, this is definitely a top choice.

NODAK, Jun 18, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +50.2%

Appearance - Dark pink

Smell - not much of a smell

Taste - slightly crisp, odd taste I assume is beets. However, I don't eat beets so?

Mouthfeel - low carbonation, easy to drink

Overall - I like this beer because I don't care for hoppy aftertaste. Never had a beer with a beet undertone so I proceeded with caution. Will buy again, if simply because I like it plus it's a conversation starter.

Drazilnc, Jun 05, 2011
4.25/5  rDev +49.1%

My favorite beer of the season so far.

After a long session on the bike I headed to my favorite beer shop but left without making a purchase (that's never happened before) Instead, I drove another 15 miles to the one store I knew carried Wacko.

Not overwhelmingly flavorful. And definitely not sweet as other reviewers had mentioned (actually, it's not sweet at all...) But as a session brew, I could down a lot of these. I'm sold on the color, too.

I hope to see this beer on tap this summer.

oldcrustacean, Apr 20, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +49.1%

someoneintheroad, Dec 14, 2013
4.2/5  rDev +47.4%

Appearance: Beet red, interesting to say the least

Smell: Fruity undertones, with a strong, strangely pleasent acidic smell

Taste: Delicious. Light and summer-like, with earthy, fruity aftertaste

Mouthfeel: A little watery, but still overall good. Not filling.

Drinkability: An easy going novelty beer that turns into a summertime favorite

GoalieRon33, Oct 20, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +43.9%

Let me start by saying I'm not really a Magic Hat fan. However, this beer is an excellent beer for what it claims to be; a refreshing summer beer.

It has a gorgeous rosy copper color, crystal clear. I wish the head was something more than a half inch of pinkwhite bubbles that dissipates quickly into nothing. No lacing whatsoever, nothing at all sticking to my glass. Again, color is gorgeous.

Smell is clean and crisp, bit of sweetness. No alcohol in the nose.

I'm in love with the flavor. It works. I hate citrus in my beer, and am punished when i want something light and refreshing. This is is my style, taking something unique like a beet and utilizing it perfectly in a medium its not generally utilized. Crisp, refreshing, and different. Carbonation is perfect.

I could session this, but i would finish with some higher ABV beers at the end of the night. Great for starting the day off earlier.

inxy, Jun 02, 2010
4.04/5  rDev +41.8%

Ryanpro, Aug 31, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +41.4%

Amazing color...the idea of beets in brew kinda turned me off at first, but these folks are on to something. Probably does not add a lot to flavor...but it gives the beer a great look and nice aroma. Maybe I rank this high because my expectations were very low....but all I can say is this had it all.
COLOR, BODY, TASTE, and AROMA.
As another review says...this is a great summer beer.
I actually drank it right at the brewery and it always seems to taste better there to me.

Carlton1964, Nov 22, 2009