Wacko - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: thekevlarkid on 02-28-2009

Wacko is the liquid song of summer: Crisp like the morning, cool like the evening and quenching all day long. Pop the top and set your summer loose. Wacko is a delicious summer beer with a big malty aroma, a subdued hop bite and a clean, slightly sweet finish.

Ratings: 776 | Reviews: 414
1.28/5  rDev -55.1%

I can't even fathom the still make this beer. There have been many amazing things added to beer, blueberries, grapefruit, etc, but beets.. Beets are a punishment and create a really horrible beer. It's not secret that I am not a fan of Magic Hat but this one takes the cake, it was seriously the worst beer I have ever experienced.

1.31/5  rDev -54%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is an odd deep pinkish gold color with a large light pink head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is tart and full of beets, along with light malts and a faint touch of hops, but it's not appetizing at all and kind of nasty.

T: The taste starts out with a light malt sweetness that is quickly followed by the tart flavor of beets, which fortunately isn't as strong as it is in the smell. There's a mild hops presence that brings a little bit of balance but not much. The after-taste is slightly sour.

M: Crisp but not smooth at all, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Not tasty in any way, does not go down easily, not too filling, mild kick, I just did not find anything good about this beer and there's no way that I would drink it again.

1.42/5  rDev -50.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Beer purchased on a lark for 1.50 at a local beer store. Beer is pink and kind of clear, thin white head, no lacing, low carbonation.

Aroma: OH GOD NO. Bitter...Grainy....Gross.

I should note that this beer is not currently on the top 50 Fruit / Vegetable Beer list on beeradvocate. And for good reason. This beer taste like shit. It is a drain pour for sure. Harsh and bitter, sweet and a horrible lingering grainy aftertaste. This beer kick me in the nuts, beat up my wife, aborted my child and asked me "Is this your dog?" before kicking her and leaving the front door open upon its exit (to waste the air conditioning). This is a disaster of a beer. BEWARE AVOID AVOID AVOID.

1.47/5  rDev -48.4%

Pours a crystal clear pink tinged grapefruit juice tone with a light pink tinted head.

Aromatics are dull not much going on except for corn and cooked veggies, WTF! Also on board is a light mineral water extract, are we trying to give micro brews a bad name here.

Flavor is horrid, bitter cooked veggies with little to no apparent sweetness. Just cereal grain offness with more of that cooked corn DMS going down. If your going to add beet sugar to give a beer a pink color at least make it something worth drinking, pure shite.

Mouthfeel is light bodied with an acrid finish of post puking mouthfeel. Carbontion is a bit much and it really over does it and practically induces the gag reflux with each sip.

Drinkability, this beer is a lost cause I hoped to never cross paths with any beer of this level of shit. It has created a new plateau of piss poor brewing efforts, why does it have to come from a likeable brewery like Magic Hat and have such a cool fuckin' label.

1.5/5  rDev -47.4%

Ok, I've been defending Magic Hat to Vermonters trying to be trendy by saying things like "only tourists drink Magic Hat" and "if you drink Magic Hat you're just being trendy." Of course, not drinking a beer based on who drinks it is actually being trendy as opposed to drinking a beer simply because you like the taste.

That being said, I can not and will not defend this abomination to beer. First of all, it's pink and that to me just seems like a novelty. Novelty can be fun if the product is also good. This "beer" tastes like beet flavored seltzer. There is no taste. It's just a really bad decision. Magic Hat however, is known for being experimental, and when you take risks you're sometimes going to not hit the mark. This is that beer.

1.5/5  rDev -47.4%

Magic Hat?!? Seriously? This is one of the worst beers (if you can call it that) I've ever sampled. Thin, over carbonated, flavorless---like flavored seltzer. Plus, think about holding a pink colored beer in a pint glass. Really, avoid at all costs.

1.6/5  rDev -43.9%

This beer pretty much taste like a miller light just without that heavy hopp bite at the end. My belief is that it is eliminated by addition of beet's
The beer it unique in the fact it uses tomatos and I would suggest you try it if not for anything but the experience.
I do think this beer would make a great hangover cure though

1.61/5  rDev -43.5%

A: Poured reddish pink, slightly cloudy with a good light pink head. Slight lacing.

S: Slighly fruity sweet scent. Beet...I guess?

T&M: Tastes funny. I don't like beets, so maybe that is why I don't particularly prefer this flavor. Light bodied with medium carbonation. Bitter flavor from beginning to end with sweet taste up front. Dry and tingly finish.

Odd fruit beer. If you like beets you may like this brew. I tried a couple more to see if I could acquire a taste.... it didn't happen.

1.66/5  rDev -41.8%

12oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass

The beer pours lightly and produces a white sudsy head with little weight. It dissipates quickly and leaves no lacings inside the glass.

The reddish beet color is there for sure, but it also looks like a standard amber at the right light and angle. The smell is sweet and tart and very much like a cranberry lambic or a cherry beer. I'm not impressed.

The taste is light and malty with the same annoying tang that's in the smell. No trace of hops. Bad aftertaste. Not enjoyable and hard to get down. High level of carbonation. This is a terrible beer.

1.7/5  rDev -40.4%

I don't try to many beers that I pour out. But this one I did. Awful. Did not even taste like any beer I have ever tasted. And this in itself is not enough to turn me off. But this beer was ill-conceived and poorly executed.

Pours a clear light brown with rose highlights. Small rose colored head. Little to no aroma. The taste was like a watered-down raspberry tea. Blech! Flat and watery.

I don't know if this beer was just old or what, but I had been leery of Magic Hat in the past. I have not found one beer brewed there to my liking. Sorry, guys. Keep trying.

1.72/5  rDev -39.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Poured out a reddish-pink color with a thin head.

Aroma was very vague. Hardly can detect anything. Very, very faint aroma of fruitiness, but that's about it.

Taste was also extremely light. Some faint malts and hops hop around with some fruitiness, but it's too light.

Mouthfeel was light with an ok dose of carbonation. Finished dry.

Wow is all I can say, and not in a good way.

1.74/5  rDev -38.9%

The only slightly redeeming factor about this beer is the pretty shade of pinkish red that is it's hue. I am truly disappointed in Magic Hat for putting out this "macro" type of swill. The mouth feel is average, the aroma is less than appealing and the taste is well insipid. Perhaps a heartier dose of hops could have saved this brew, but then again that would have reduced the profit margin on this one. Lesson learned, don't send the wife to the package store with less than specific instructions on which beer to purchase.

1.76/5  rDev -38.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Unfortunately bought a 6 pack of this, maybe the girls will like it to mix w/ something to make their drinks pink.

Fuzzy light head and no lacing. Very mild taste brings memories of coors light/busch. So sad I paid over $2 per bottle for this...

Recommended for a pot luck tasting and nothing more.

1.84/5  rDev -35.4%

A: Looks like red Kool-Aide with a pinkish hued
head! Best thing about this brew!

S: No distinct aromas save the presence of
alcohol, I was really expecting to pick up
the scent of something off of this boldly
colored brew.

T: The flavor was virtually nonexistant except
for the aftertaste that tasted of a cheaper
corn fed beer.

M: The brew was watered down and left a dry
almost chalky feeling in my mouth and on
my pallet.

D: Nil

1.86/5  rDev -34.7%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

So, yeah, I'm sure the score is a major tip-off that I did not enjoy this beer. Worse, it all started out so well. I saw it on the shelf at one of my local haunts and thought, "Hm, that sounds interesting. Let's give it a go." After chilling it for a few days (there's a lot of beer in that fridge, OK?), I finally got around to pouring the damn thing. It was clear, the color of a nice blood orange, and had a head made of about a finger of quick-dying white micro-foam. It seemed as though the beets were doing their job well, making a festive, interesting appearance. Things began to go sideways when my 'strils got involved. The bit of citrus hops was the only saving grace here. Unfortunately, from behind them rose some funky wheat, bad puffed rice (I didn't know that could go bad...), and a scent warning me of an impending vegetable zombie attack. I knew that damn disposal didn't work well enough. Still believing myself the Shackleford of beer, I pressed on into the foreboding taste. Big mistake. The vegetable zombies struck, a V-8 executive's acid-induced coma nightmare. He knew the vengeance was pending, but just kept convincing himself it was an impossibility. Foolish man. My taste buds were pelted with orange peels that had been urinated on by a demon; grass left over from a hippie's orgy-tastic sex tape filming; hard water; and the very salad Ngo Dinh Diem was scarfin' on when he was assassinated. I'd love to know how much they paid for that last one on E-Bay. The body was a mercifully light medium (any thicker and I may not have been able to survive), with a seemingly oppressive carbonation and a dry finish. I applaud the creativity and find the use of new and different ingredients to be a noble (is that the word?) endeavor, but this experiment has gone terribly awry. [rec] awry. I've had worse, but not many. I will say, though, it's worth a try, even if it will most likely end up down the drain loike mine. Every beer is worth a shot. They're just not all worth more than one.

1.86/5  rDev -34.7%

Beet red body with a strawberry tinted white head. Weak lacing.

Smelled malts and citrus.

It tasted like a soda. No hint of alcohol or anything else for that matter except for the sweetness.

I thought it seemed high in carbonation and had the mouthfeel of a can of soda. Very light and not much to it.

Way too sweet for me to have more than a couple. Not very drinkable for the session beer style abv.

1.88/5  rDev -34%

12oz bottle served in a standard shaker pint.

pours a slightly cloudy pink grapefruit/amber tone while yielding a very short lived, spritzy 3/4" head; no lacing. some points for originality with the color (i guess) but overall not the most appealing presentation. not much doing in the nose. grainy, some muted malt characters.

flavor isn't an abject failure. unfortunately that's about the nicest thing i can say about it. grainy, vaguely malty, and bitter. just not very tasty. borderline drainpour; i could choke it down, but what's the point of that? thin, light mouthfeel with average carbonation.

overall this isn't one i'm appreciating... definitely not something i'll be looking to try again.

(originally reviewed: 07-11-2011)

1.88/5  rDev -34%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a reddish-pink color with 2 inches of white head and moderate carbonation. Head leaves very quickly.

s - Smells of vegetables, earthy malts, and not much more here. Maybe a hint of sweet fruit. Kind of weird.

t - Tastes of grain, bready malts, and a bit metalic. Not enjoyable.

m - Light body and high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - I thought this was an awful beer. Not much to the smell but some weird vegetable/earthy tones, and the taste was worse, being the same plus being metalic. Would not have again.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12oz bottle served in a standard shaker pint.

not much doing in the nose. grainy, some muted malt characters.

overall, well, i covered that in "flavor"... not one i'll be looking for again.

1.93/5  rDev -32.3%

This was poured into a regular pint and was reddish-amber in color with a head that appeared as a thick white skin like that of a pudding. It smelt very faintly of grains and malts and barely tasted of either. The beer seemed flat and was a difficult one to drink because of the bland almost complete lack of flavor. The tap handle was nice, though.

1.93/5  rDev -32.3%

My daughter works at a brew pub in Co MO and one of the brewers left this in her apartment.

A: Hazy and rosy pink with no signifcant head.

S: Slightly acid or tart like a wit but with no spice or hop aroma. Pretty bland really.

T: Sugary sweet not malty sweet at all. No hop flavor. In fact no real flavor at all.

M: Thin and watery

O: I was expecting something interesting if a guy who brews beer for a living is drinking this, but no. Really the most bland beer I've ever had. Just pink fizzy water with a little sugar. Oh wait, that's diet soda??? This is my 2nd magic hat beer and so far they are 0 for 2!

1.94/5  rDev -31.9%

Impressive near-white head with some staying power. Bright pink color--looks like a raspberry lambic, but clear.

Sour aroma of fermented berries. Relatively mild.

Sour flavor that is over the top. Surprisingly short (near non-existent) aftertaste. Quite the novelty. Thin bodied, highly carbonated. A clear miss.

1.94/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Oh, my. Where to start? The worst part of MH Wacko is the nose. Imagine a nice fresh bowl of hot vomit. Or the bottom of a dirty shoe. Somewhere in between, perhaps. And who in their right mind decided on a "beer with beet juice color"? Didn't we all decide at age 5 that beets tasted like dirt? This beer is just not right from the get go. I used to live in a town that used beet juice to coat the roads because it has a property that melts ice. Perhaps we should just pour this stuff in the road and put it to good use there. I love beer, all beer, but not this beer. On second thought, it's not beer. I think we should rename it "Hot Barf on a Wednesday night".

1.94/5  rDev -31.9%

This beer had quite a peculiar smell - maybe it was the beets. Very surprised by the color when pouring it into a glass. Was worried that the beer was skunked from the initial smell, but figured since this is the new seasonal that was unlikely. Nonetheless it was far from good in fact I hope to pawn off the remaining bottles on unsuspecting friends. Disappointing coming from Magic Hat who seems to be normal good beer.

1.97/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Orange/Pink, no head, no lacing.
S: Malty, no hop smell, smells like apple juice?
T: Apple, grape, malty, little to no hop flavor, slight bitterness, watery.
M: Little carbonation produced no mouth feel, tasted flat.
O: Probably.. no.. definitely the worst beer I've had from Magic Hat. Save your $$ and enjoy some of the other brews by MH. Cheers!!

Wacko from Magic Hat Brewing Company