Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Wacko - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: thekevlarkid on 02-28-2009

Wacko is the liquid song of summer: Crisp like the morning, cool like the evening and quenching all day long. Pop the top and set your summer loose. Wacko is a delicious summer beer with a big malty aroma, a subdued hop bite and a clean, slightly sweet finish.

2.38/5  rDev -16.5%

Bought a Bottle of this that reads "3/4 pint" from Lukas Liquor in Ellisville, MO for $1.49. Poured into my iTap Passport Pint Glass and Does not have a B.O.D.

Aroma- Almost no aroma at all except grain! An extremely mild beet juice, if anything but not special.

Appearance- Pours a Dark Pint color body with 2 fingers of pink head that die down immediately. No lace on the glass either... Is this a beer?

Flavor- Grain, a bit of beet juice, and sugar are the only things evident. Very sweet and no hops or bitterness? Sorry Wacko, but not doing it for me.

Mouthfeel- Light Bodied, Sweet, Crisp, but nothing left after the drink. Weak and watery when it comes down to it.

Overall Impression- Besides the awesome artwork on the front, this beer is only appealing by the label and name... Not even a beer in my book, more like a malt beverage with a pink colored body. I was hoping to have a great beer from Magic Hat with the cool body, but seems its just for show...

2.47/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle, best by date on the neck.

appears pink in color and clear, with thin white head. but once the head dissipates, it looks like a glass of white zinfandel. not much aroma, but odd smelling. not much taste either, just maybe a hint of sweetness. bland. body is thin and fizzy, clean aftertaste.

pretty tasteless, and the pink color seems like a gimmick.

2.43/5  rDev -14.7%

Served in a pint glass.

A pink grapefruit hued orange body with one finger white head. Nice legs, but pour retention and head.

Smells of mild English yeast and watered down vegetables. Weak nose, but not offensive.
The flavor is a little worse than the nose. Very mild sweetness up front, with vegetable/beet notes, and a crisp mild yeast finish.

The body is medium-light with lots of carbonation. It feels kinda thin.

Overall, I am not impressed. I will not buy this beer again.

3.15/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured with almost no head. A blood orange, slightly pink color. Very interesting. Smells of wheat and a sweet tartness. The taste is has a tangy bite upfront followed by a light wheat body. A crisp finish that retains that tangy slightly sour flavor. A little too sweet.

2.64/5  rDev -7.4%

Shirley Temple pink with a pinkish-white fizzy head. Beets.

The smell, taste and general alchemy is just like the basis of any of these: Magic Hat #9, Sea Dog Blue Paw, Pumpkinhead, et. al. except in this case the brew is not carrying a specific fruit flavor. I guess this is just like a fruit beer, but the fruit flavor in this case is a sweet lager-y note.

This same sweet yeast or whatever it is, many of these beers taste sorta like Glade.

4.25/5  rDev +49.1%

Appearance - Dark pink

Smell - not much of a smell

Taste - slightly crisp, odd taste I assume is beets. However, I don't eat beets so?

Mouthfeel - low carbonation, easy to drink

Overall - I like this beer because I don't care for hoppy aftertaste. Never had a beer with a beet undertone so I proceeded with caution. Will buy again, if simply because I like it plus it's a conversation starter.

2.99/5  rDev +4.9%

A- Pours a light clear pink with a 1 inch white head with good retention.

S- Floral notes of vegetable, hops and caramel.

T- Sweet with vegetableness? Light herbal and earthy notes but predominantly the sweet.

M- Light in body and moderately low in carbonation, goes down pretty easy and seems pretty fitting for the beer and the style.

D- Not overtly bad, sweet and sugary beets is the main flavor with some light beer flavor in the background. It does what it sets out to do but not something I would probably look out to buy.

2.05/5  rDev -28.1%

Came in a M.H. mixed 12 pack (why the heck did they put 6 of these in there, and 2 each of the others?!!)

a: pink...as everyone here has noted. funny color for a beer, but interesting.

s: a little earthy, but otherwise non-descript beer smell

t: very bland. slight earthy hop taste, semi-sweet up front, but dry finish slightly chalky taste

m: average to fairly light

o: glad I put these all out at my memorial day BBQ...so I didn't have to drink too many of them!

2.16/5  rDev -24.2%

The first thing that stands out is the color. It’s pink. It’s really the color of pink champagne. Not much head and it goes away pretty quickly. There’s something familiar in the smell, but I can’t quite place it yet.

The flavor is…odd. It’s like sparkling grape juice, and beets. That’s where the pink color comes from. Not really any hops. There’s a sweet, dry finish. Some cherry in there, too.

As far as summer seasonal goes, it is light and crisp, but it’s weird. I finished it, trying to figure it out the whole time. I wouldn’t do this again. Sorry, Magic Hat.

3.11/5  rDev +9.1%

Well this was interesting...I was quite startled when I started pouring the beer and noticed a pinkish/redish hue. As with all magic Hat beers....there is something familiar that each one contains. This beer is no different. As mentioned above, it pour a redish color, there isnt much smell (allergies could be causing an issue). The taste is decent. There is some subtle citrus there, but seemingly a solid amber. The lighted abv and somewhat fruity taste make this a good summer beer.

1.97/5  rDev -30.9%

A: Orange/Pink, no head, no lacing.
S: Malty, no hop smell, smells like apple juice?
T: Apple, grape, malty, little to no hop flavor, slight bitterness, watery.
M: Little carbonation produced no mouth feel, tasted flat.
O: Probably.. no.. definitely the worst beer I've had from Magic Hat. Save your $$ and enjoy some of the other brews by MH. Cheers!!

2.41/5  rDev -15.4%

Appearance: Well, here's a first - a clear salmon pink liquid with a modest head that really doesn't last very long; leaves a few spots of lace for a second or two

Smell: Sweet, vegetal aroma from the beet sugar; almost taffy-like

Taste: Opens with a taffy flavor that adds a bit of beet juice sweetness by mid-palate; no hop elements are discernible and the finish is sweet

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Nice to serve the non-beer drinkers on a hot summer day; I guess this would be an alternative to a wine cooler for that crowd

2.36/5  rDev -17.2%

My brother brought way too many of these to a dinner party (15!), and I figured I ought to try one. I'm trying hard to finish it, and there are many better beers awaiting me in the fridge.

It's a sickly red color, no head, and a barely tolerable flavor.

The flavor is a mild beer/beet.

Try it at your own risk.

3.2/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Stella chalice. Mostly clear reddish/amber color. Virtually no head, no lacing.

Some sugary-sweet fruityness on the nose, along with some grainy malt.

Very crisp beer. There is some vague fruit flavor, I assume due to the beet sugar, a bit of candy sweetness, and bready malt. The flavors are all very mild, in fact definitely too mild, but they mesh well. It's also a very sessionable and clean beer. Finishes slightly dry with a sweet finish. Can't detect any hop presence.

All in all, not my favorite fruit beer, but definitely drinkable. A good session beer on a hot day like this.

3.23/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz - excuse me - 3/4 pint bottle. Best enjoyed by date on bottle neck. The ink on Magic Hat has a tendency to wear off, but I could read it just fine.

Pours a pretty, electric-orange. I guess the beet juice is doing its job. Smell is a vague lot of fruit and grass. Taste has a sweet base, on which there is a pleasant freshness, and persimmon-like flavor. Finish is almost non-existent. A "crisp" beer for sure, but I don't see the point in a beer which is very comparable, but less tasty imo, to their #9. I'd rather just go with one of those.

2.72/5  rDev -4.6%

red color looks very manufactured dye like because of beet juice, no head retention

smell not a lot to smell bland malt and sugary aroma

taste better than what i was expecting but still lacked a good malt base or hop finish

no body much like a light lager

ehh... wasn't horrible but wouldn't try it again

3.29/5  rDev +15.4%

When I initially poured this into my pint glass, I thought "What the...seriously...is it Izze?" I expected a cloyingly sweet maltyness w/ the extravagant bubbles and effervescent head, ala carbonated raspberry lemonade. It wasn't. It was a very dry, slightly bitter beer with a clean aftertaste. I won't put this at the top of my list of fine beers, but I like the look and the beer is very drinkable and was good for a nice, warm NC afternoon. Try it if you want something different.

3.03/5  rDev +6.3%

12oz Bottle

Appearance - Hazy light red/burgundy colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. I can't make out much carbonation due to the haziness and there isn't much lacing. The head lasted for 4 minutes.

Smell – Breads/grains, lemons, berries

Taste & Mouth - The beer comes across as slightly thin and there is a high amount of carbonation. I can taste lemons and wheat mixed with some spices (cloves?) and some berries.. perhaps cassis or cranberries. It finishes with a slightly bitter fruity aftertaste.

Overall – Not really my sort of thing I guess.. but I figured I'd give it a try nonetheless. If you're in the market to try something different give this one a shot. It did seem to get better as I made my way through the glass.. but I wouldn't buy it again.

3.28/5  rDev +15.1%

A - Pours a clear amber-copper color with a finger of white head with a touch of red in it. The head fades down to a thin layer leaving behind only a touch of lacing.

S - Aroma is of bready malts and beat. There is also just a touch of citrus hop in the background.

T - Starts off with some beet flavor and some malt and grain flavor. There is a bit of bread in the background. Through the middle, a touch of citrus hop appears. The finish is a mix of beat flavor and some malt flavor that lingers a bit.

M - Medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels a bit watery and empty. The finish has just a bit of lingering fruit flavor.

D - Fairly drinkable. The beet flavor is an interesting addition to beer, but the beer itself is empty and not very interesting. Feels very off balanced and empty as a whole.

A: deep red, finger head, faint lacing

S: light malt, citrus, slight beet

T: sweet fruit, grain, light bready finish

M: light body, big carbonation, semi-dry mouth

O: Meh, still not overly impressed with Magic Hat.
They seem like the VT version of Leinenkugel,
fine gatewaybrewery or easy access craft brew.
Solid summer beer or decent session brew.

2.73/5  rDev -4.2%

A: The beer is crystal clear light red in color and poured with a thin off white head that quickly dissipated, leaving some lacing covering the surface.
S: There are light aromas of grainy malts and notes of fruity yeast in the nose.
T: Light flavors of pale malts dominate the overall taste; the beet juice doesn’t seem to contribute anything to the taste except for some hints of sweetness.
M: It feels light-bodied and clean on the palate with a light to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer isn’t that difficult to drink but it isn’t anything that I will be seeking out to try again.

3.07/5  rDev +7.7%

Beer 2 of 5 at Magic Hat Sampling

Served in a pilsner glass

A : beautiful reddish amber with a thick white veil of creamy head

S : very faint (even asked others to see if my nose was working)

T : very light hops and grains

M : smooth nice texture, with a medium finish

D : crisp with flavor and slight lingering aftertaste

I'd buy this for hot summer days

3.23/5  rDev +13.3%

I actually was afraid of this brew. I love Magic Hat and was unaware what the beet like color would present in this brew. I liked it. This is most definately a summer brew and IMO a brew for women who want to act like they drink beer. Maybe a good starter for women who only drink BL or Michelob Ultra and want to branch out.

I would drink this beer again. I had a six pack while grilling out and then moved to another brew. So maybe a good simple starter is a better way to put it.

2.16/5  rDev -24.2%

I almost did not write this review, since I'm not a negative person, and I know that Magic Hat is a solid brewery, but I felt like I owed it to the BA community to give this one an honest review.

It pours a color that I can only describe a kind of a dark pink, with a minimal white head with very little retention. There was very little to smell here, a hint of berries and grass, I suppose. As for taste, it pretty much matched the smell. There was a little grassyness, and possibly raspberries and a little maltiness. The beer was watery with a little too much carbonation for my taste.

Overall, this beer just didn't do anything for me. Even for the style, it wasn't, well...beer-y enough. I felt like I was drinking a cross between a pink sparkling wine and a Zima. I definitely would not try it again.

3.98/5  rDev +39.6%

the magic hat summer variety 12 pack from a standard pint glass.

A: Moderate red in color. 1 finger of white head. Not very good in retention or lacing.

S: Grainy/ grassy malts. Berries, beats, lemon, etc.

T- Berries, beats, grassy, with floral hops and malts.

M- Light body moderate carbonation

O- Good for the evening on the beach. Liked it last year and this year.

Wacko from Magic Hat Brewing Company