Wacko - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Wacko is the liquid song of summer: Crisp like the morning, cool like the evening and quenching all day long. Pop the top and set your summer loose. Wacko is a delicious summer beer with a big malty aroma, a subdued hop bite and a clean, slightly sweet finish.

(Beer added by: thekevlarkid on 02-28-2009)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
schmitter

3.2/5  rDev +12.3%

its not that it tastes bad, but the beer is literally cherry kool aid red

tastes ... bland? weird after taste also

alot of magic hat's odd notions are delicious, but they dont keep them after putting them in a mixed pack, but they keep this beer? i dont get it

meh

06-06-2009 14:42:47 | More by schmitter
beerthulhu

3.03/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Poured a bright orange with a towering 2 finger mushroomy paper white head that was well lasting. A sticky and splotchy broken ring lacing encircles the glass. Large macro bubbles cling to the sides of the glass initially before fizzling out to slow streams of micro bubbles.

S: light with fresh pink grapefruit with light hints of lemon peels. Some pale oranges and sugary notes conclude what is only a average showing here.

T: The flavor starts off citrusy with tart oranges and a zesty carbonation that makes the initial sip spicy and zippy. Musky lemons with a lingering tartness that sits fairly well soon follows. Mildew notes of lemons, with a glazed sweetness and tart oranges makes this a sweet and sour experience. The initial sip brought promise but quickly fizzled out after that. Some funky, tart oranges and flavor but overall was tame and sorry to say lame at times.

M: had a lively tingle of carbonation with a medium viscosity but wasn't enough to save this. The flavor just didn't get any better the longer you held it and was better consumed quickly off the tongue.

D: Could take it or leave it honestly. Lacked any wow factor at any point and overall was an average drink.

06-04-2009 23:33:58 | More by beerthulhu
atsprings

2.38/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz bottle into a DFH snifter a crisp ungodly pinkish red with a thin eggshell head. Aroma is slight sweet fruits and sweet malts. The taste is an overly sweet abundance of malts and fruits, really nothing but a mess. The beer is light bodied with decent carbonation but the overt sweetness blows that all to shit. This is certainly one I'll never touch again with a ten foot pole, I'm very glad I just bought a single bottle.

06-04-2009 08:42:10 | More by atsprings
shroompod

3.4/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Red beer , Oh noes!!! I guess I should have read the bottle , "colored with beet juice".

Thankfully this isn't a SA Cranberry Lambic. Unfortunately their isn't much in the nose either.

A fairly light tasting brew with a slight hint of beet sweetness? I'm reminded of a Corona with lime.

Mouthfeel is light , good carbonation.

Overall this beer beer isn't too bad, I expected the worst after pouring.

06-04-2009 00:47:54 | More by shroompod
tempest

3.38/5  rDev +18.6%

On-tap at Liberty St. Tavern in Allentown, PA. Appeared red with a short, off-white head. Really? This beer only gets a C? It's not that bad, just a simple summer beer with an interesting cherry and apple flavor from beets. There's also a spicy malt flavor in the background - from wheat maybe? Not that bad in my opinion. If you want to try a sweet and simple beer that's a little different, try this.

06-03-2009 02:12:33 | More by tempest
beer2day

2.93/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours pink, a mix of gold and red. Pink infused frothy two-finger head. Pink. Yuck.

Smells like an adjunct lager, even more so. A little something sweet there as well.

Relatively clean and crisp up front, but a little something sweet comes trhough in the finish. One of the few craft beers that tastes better out of the bottle than poured into a glass. Plus you can't see the beer that way.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy, not a good match for the style.

It's drinkable on a hot day, straight from the bottle. Otherwise ...

06-02-2009 01:19:40 | More by beer2day
daliandragon

2.88/5  rDev +1.1%

Another strange one from the boys in Burlington. They love the fruit. This one pulls an alarmingly cranberry red color, kind of like a lambic. The large, wet head lasts longer than it has a right to. Nose is thin malt with touches of citrus and cherries. Meh.

Initially refreshing and light, this becomes cloying and somewhat bitter (although not due to hiops, as I detect none)in the aftertaste. The texture is thin and slightly grainy.

It's true that I'm not a fruit beer fan but this just isn't very good.

06-01-2009 03:05:38 | More by daliandragon
jnfs

Oklahoma

2.85/5  rDev 0%

It pours amber/ reddish in color, has a slight head and is completely clear. Carbonation is light to moderate. There is a almost berry like aroma that smells sweet and fruity. The taste is of Malt, fruit, alcohol and almost hops. This is a different type of beer that I think lives up to it's name.

05-31-2009 04:41:26 | More by jnfs
MaltyGoodness

3.18/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz. bottle

Pours a rather lovely pink color with a small white head that fades. No real lacing on the glass.

Aroma of a rather plain pale ale. Slightly malty with a bit of herbal hops. Mild frutiness.

Slightly sweet upfront with a mild but pleasant malt taste. Not much hop bitterness, but a touch of herbal hops in the taste. Finishes a touch sweet as it started with just a bit of beet flavor at the very finish.

Light body, medium carbonation.

Not nearly as wacky as the label would have you think. Overall a light and refreshing ale, and actually quite boring at that. Little more than a novelty.

05-31-2009 02:31:04 | More by MaltyGoodness
cnally

Indiana

2.42/5  rDev -15.1%

didn't michael moore make this into a movie?

this is a pink color, like pink lemonade with sprite. fizzy head.

scents of corn and wheat.

flavor of bitter grains and wheats. the thing is for all of the beet juice talk, it is barely noticeable.

feel is fizzy.

I do not see myself ever buying this beer again. no way.

05-30-2009 18:47:38 | More by cnally
flexinwext

2.28/5  rDev -20%

So a beer with beet color. I'm not going to lie, this looked like cherry 7up when I poured it, nice and fizzy. Scent is fairly remniscent of an amber ale/american macro. Sweet somewhat fruity smell. Dry taste with lots of carbonation. Very thin mouthfeel. An interesting beer, the taste was hard to place but pretty awful. Pretty sure I would not buy this again.

05-30-2009 00:54:40 | More by flexinwext
williamherbert

2.45/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

The appearance is cloudy rose-pink. A thick mousse of head. Looks very inviting ... or like some kind of girl drink. At any rate it's attractive. Leaves a tremendous curtain of lace.

The smell is not so fetching. Severe, textbook macro lager aroma. Strictly cereal rice. Some bitter fruit... maybe that's the beets? Really not good, I'm sorry to say.

The taste is better than the aroma, but still has the adjunct macro lager thing going on. There is that extra sweetness, which does make it bearable, but still not "good." A little crisp bite at the end. Just a smidge of bubblegum that it could have used a lot more of.

The feel is lagery, for lack of a better word. Smooth enough but watery. This one is a real disappointment. A typical macro lager in sheep's clothing.

05-30-2009 00:14:12 | More by williamherbert
weeare138

2.93/5  rDev +2.8%

Appears a hazy pink with an orange hue. A small, pink head fizzles into a tiny white cap. Speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of obvious beet sugar...not much more of anything else.
Perhaps a touch of citrus but that may be a stretch.
Taste is of the aromas with notes of red grapes. Very mild flavors.
Mouthfeel is medium bodies, fizzy, and sugary. An odd but interesting choice for a Summer seasonal release.

05-29-2009 23:28:43 | More by weeare138
indiapaleale

2.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Okay, this is a bit Wacko. Pours a bit like cherry Kool-Aid with some seltzery bubble action and a pinkish head. Interesting look for a beer, I agree with another reviewer that it looks like Lindeman's Framboise quite a bit.

Smell actually reminds me a bit of #9 but not quite as sweet. Nothing really special going on with the smell to be honest.

Taste is about as non-offensive as they come. Very little wheaty/malty sweetness and pretty much no hop bitterness. Its quite plain Jane and actually pretty much lacks any real character.

Other than the color this beer is basically about as lackluster as they come. Its low ABV makes it a good candidate at a BBQ that starts around 11am on a Saturday and continues on until 2am.

I wish I'd read some reviews as I'd have stuck with one bottle and not six.

05-29-2009 20:41:23 | More by indiapaleale
originalsin

2.65/5  rDev -7%

A: Pours a bright dark cherry red with about a 1/2 inch of cherry-tinted white fizzy head. This is a beer, right?

S: I don't know if it's necessarily beet that I smell but certainly some floral notes in addition to fruitier ones like cherries.

T: Some sweet and pale malt tastes come through. The beet flavor never really pokes its head out aside from a little bit on the roof of your mouth as an after taste.

M&D: Well carbonated with a medium body and somewhat poor drinkability that I'd attribute to it's odd flavor, smell, and color.

I suppose some people might like this beer. I'm not one of them. Hopefully this isn't going to stick around as the summer seasonal for years to come: Magic Hat can do better.

Probably the first time Magic Hat has genuinely rubbed me the wrong way...

05-29-2009 19:51:30 | More by originalsin
myxomatosis

2.7/5  rDev -5.3%

A - Pours clear, bright red. The color surprised me even though I knew ahead of time it had beet sugar in; it reminds me a bit of Lindemans Kriek. About an inch of head which disappears over about a minute, with no lacing.

S - Light. The aroma doesn't necessarily jump out at me, but I can smell a distinct note which is difficult to describe - the nearest thing I can liken it to is latex.

T - Clean, light and a bit bready. Again, there's an unfamiliar, almost latex-y aspect to the flavor.

M - Carbonation is a bit like soda. Goes down smoothly. Very clean; doesn't linger too long on the palate.

D - It isn't awful; it's definitely an oddball, but as cubedoggy said, I don't think it deserves such harsh criticism. It's certainly light enough to be within-context for summer - the overall flavor and mouthfeel would make it fairly easy to drink - but the extra weirdness in the flavor sort of takes away from it.

05-29-2009 00:52:28 | More by myxomatosis
msolar

2.23/5  rDev -21.8%

Blech!

I'm haven't been a fan of Magic Hat for a few years and this beer doesn't help change that. It's beet red and completely lacks body and taste.

I'd compare it to some Bud Light that someone added food coloring to for the holidays.

Fail.

05-28-2009 23:02:25 | More by msolar
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.7/5  rDev -5.3%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia. The back label of the bottle advises I drink this before July 2009. You got it, Magic Hat!

Appearance: Pours a clear, reddish-pink hue topped with an inch of fizzy, white foam.

Smell: Slight nose with some vague berry-like fruit hints, hint of lemon, and crisp, though delicate pale malts.

Taste: Pale malts, though very mild in flavor and with a small amount of sweetness. Hint of citrus from the hops with a medium bitterness. Vague hints of beet-ish, berry-like fruitiness. Finishes dry, lightly bitter, and with a club soda fizziness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-high carbonation, a bit fizzy.

Drinkability: Not recommended. I've had some great beet dishes in my time. Now, I suppose I've had one iffy beet-based beer. This is a one-off release, right? Right?

05-27-2009 02:56:48 | More by ChainGangGuy
JamesS

Indiana

2.75/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured a very red color, nice gimmick, but I know beet sugar won't do all of that; decent head but almost no lacing. Very odd and weak scent, hints of hop, malt, and veggie all competing, but none of them are strong at all. Decent taste, probably would have been a nice pale without the addition of the beet sugar which really blanded everything out. Goes down fine.

05-25-2009 18:12:15 | More by JamesS
Misfit138

Tennessee

2.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from the bottle into my Yazoo Hefeweizen pint glass.

A- Rather shocking bright red color with a nice two inch head, that was pink. It certainly was odd looking, but kinda fun at the same time. Turns out it has beet sugar in it.

S- I don't notice much, maybe grains

T- Taste much like a lager. I don't know if it was because of the color but it reminded me of beets somewhat with a grain-like malts. There is a odd end, could be hops?

M- Rather light.

D- I guess I was a little disappointed. Its not bad, but maybe I wanted something different. Other than the color, it taste like a lager. A decent lager. Not what I wanted in a summer beer, at least today.

05-25-2009 04:09:11 | More by Misfit138
Lexluthor33

2.55/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pink color from the beet juice with a small head and a thin lace.

The aroma of grains,malts and light hops with a touch of yeast.

The taste starts off sweet then light malts and some mild fruit hints. Low on flavor and hops.

The feel is light body and low carbonation. Smooth with grains in the finish. A really light beer.

Notes: This did not work for me as I could not get past the flavor.Not the worst of summer beer just not my ideal summer seasonal.

05-25-2009 00:05:15 | More by Lexluthor33
cubedoggy

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev +35.1%

A: Yes---it's pink.

S: Dry maltiness up front; not much hop aroma.

T: Goes down a bit bubbly, but there is, I find, a nice, dry, almost citrusy finish.

M: Maybe a bit too carbonated, but since it fits no style, who's to say?

D: I don't know, I'm an hophead and a homebrewer, and I think this is an excellent summer brew. I'm not sure why there's such disgust and vitriol in the other reviews. I've bought it 3 times already while here on business in Boston, and my wife has some waiting for me when I get back to Maryland.

05-24-2009 19:33:37 | More by cubedoggy
Beejay

2.1/5  rDev -26.3%

A: Pink. What else can I say? Pink. Grapefruit pink with a cotton candy head..

S: Smells like burnt hair...

T: Semi-sweet, but with an odd aftertaste.. Fairly watery, but inhaling just a little when taking a sip kills it for me.. Not great.

M: Good, but hard to get past smell/taste.

D: Hells to the no... I don't know if I can finish this one.. I got it because I was curious, and I feel like that is the main reason it has sold. While this beer isn't terrible, I have no idea why anyone would buy this "summer seasonal" over any other summer beer..

On the upside, I took one of these beers out of the running. Consider this a bullet dodged if you haven't had it yet. Your welcome.

05-24-2009 03:37:10 | More by Beejay
BrianOhio

2.35/5  rDev -17.5%

An audible "Whoa!!" came from my mouth when I poured this one. I hadn't read any reviews, so was surprised by the pink stuff that resembled...well, heck, I don't even know what I would call it. Pink lemonade coupled with sparkling grape juice.

I don't know, I like Magic Hat, but I'm struggling with anything positive to say about this one. I will finish the 6, but only because I'm a frugal guy by nature. The taste isn't offensive, but it's very thin with little aroma.

Not much more I can say...I will go back to #9.

05-23-2009 23:46:21 | More by BrianOhio
ArrogantDeadGuy

1.75/5  rDev -38.6%

A: Looks like red Kool-Aide with a pinkish hued
head! Best thing about this brew!

S: No distinct aromas save the presence of
alcohol, I was really expecting to pick up
the scent of something off of this boldly
colored brew.

T: The flavor was virtually nonexistant except
for the aftertaste that tasted of a cheaper
corn fed beer.

M: The brew was watered down and left a dry
almost chalky feeling in my mouth and on
my pallet.