1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Howl - Magic Hat Brewing Company

HowlHowl

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Born of dark and cold and snow in the marrow of the northeast's longest night, Howl comes in on wailing winds with winter-weary eyes burning holes in sunless shadows. In its darkened depths our inner voids are warmed.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Howl Alström Bros

[Best served in a Dimpled Mug]

The pour was a dark brown with a mahogany hue and an average sized (1-2 finger) creamy light beige head that was mostly diminishing and had decent streaky lacing.

The aroma was of s roasted bread malt and a dark doughy yeast with notes of milk chocolate, coffee and mild scent of milk.

The taste was very lightly sweet and malty with a touch of milk chocolate at first and then became mildly bitter with a decent dose of coffee and cream at the end. The flavor lasted a little longer than average with a mild bitter coffee ending.

Mouthfeel was right between light and medium in body with a slightly oily texture and a soft carbonation.

Overall a decent light bodied dark brew with a nice milky feel to.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a dark black color. Didn't get much when I smelled it. The beer is lighter in body than it looks, which is typical of this style. This dark beer is actually very smooth and drinkable. The taste is good. There is a malty taste with a hint of chocolate or coffee and maybe a hint of hops in there. Overall, this might be the best I have had in this style. I have only had a few, but they have all been good, so that actually is a good thing. I recommend giving it a try, though you might want to avoid the variety pack and get just a 6-pack of this.

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

A-Poured in t a pint glass...Very dark brown, almost black but you can still see a dark brown tint along the edges of the glass. About 1 finger of light brown head sits atop. Virtually no lacing as I sip this one.

S-Heavy malty smell, cannot trace any hops aroma

T-An "in your face" amount of smokey flavor up front, almost overwhelming. I spicy after taste that surprisingly overpowers the initial smoke flavor.

M- Good amount of carbonation. I was expecting a little less based solely on the dark appearance of this beer.

O-Overall I enjoyed the beer. After drinking about half a glass I became accustomed to the smokey flavor. It is complemented quite well with the roasty/spicy finish.

3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

An acquaintance of mine gave me a case of this for doing him a favor. This is something I wouldn't have bought for my self, here it goes.

A: Nice and dark with a good looking tan head.

S: Nothing to write home about, slightly sweet dark fruit, touch of spice with some chocolate.

T: The slight hop bitterness works well with the subtle smokiness. A little chocolate comes through with some spice.

M: A little thin, carbonation is spot on.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised with this one. I haven't had many Magic Hat offerings in many years and this is not bad at all. I'm also not really one for lagers and this is a good change of pace for me. I would recommend this especially if looking for a beer with alot of flavor and low abv.

3.68/5  rDev +0.3%

A-Pours akin to Pepsi. Bigger frothy head is born. Head is consistent and leaves lightning bolt lacing patterns. I can barely see through this beer.

S-Smells like a Porter. Roasty and surprisingly quite smoky. Light chocolate as well. I think the smoke is the most noticeable aspect of the nose. Certainly more brawny than I was expecting. Actually a bit excited to try this.

T-Chocolate comes out more in the flavor. Underlying smoky character. Roasted coffee beans strictly in the finish. Good dose of coffee at the end to be exact. Definitely has more flavor than I expected.

M-Medium body with enough carbonation. Not too much lasting feel.

O/D-Better than I was expecting. A pretty good glass. Magic Hat will come up and surprise you every-so-often. Hard to find fault with this one.

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

Bottle given to me by my neighbor Brian as part of a Christmas 6-pack. Many thanks to him for that.

Bottle poured into a standard nonic.

A: Pours a dark shade of brown with an off-white head on top, half a fingers worth, that stuck around for a while.

S: Strong notes of cocoa and a touch of spice, with "roasty" charachter underneath.

T: Nice roasty charachter here, lots of flavor for such a low ABV beer. Notes of cocoa and roasted malts, with a nice twang of dry bitter hops and a touch of grapefruit on the back end.

At 4.6%, there's considerably more flavor in here than I would have anticipated. Good balance, and more than just a 1-trick-pony, too.

M: Normally I'd like a little more CO2 in a lager, but this isn't a typical lager. Carbonation is appropriate. And a nice amount of hop residue on the finish. A little light and thin, but that's to be expected at 4.6% ABV.

D/O: A surprisingly enjoyable beer. When I hear "Magic Hat" and "Lager", my expectations are immediately lowered. But this far-and-away surpassed that. A very drinkable beer, and overall, a treat. I look forward to my next one.

3.9/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a DFH shaped pint glass.

Beer pours a deep dark brown (nearly black) with lots of ruby highlights when held up to the light. About two fingers worth of tan head recedes into a thin crown fairly quickly, leaving behind a small amount of lacing.

The aroma is mild, but enjoyable. It is comprised mainly of roasted malts, chocolate, and a mild coffee aroma. There are also an earthy quality. No real hop aroma to speak of.

The flavor is fairly well balanced between the roasted grains, caramel malts, coffee and chocolate. To a lesser degree there is a faint smokiness, and a light hop presence that is barely noticable. Medium bodied and moderately carbonated. Very easy to drink.

One of my favorite styles, and this one doesn't disappoint. I went into this beer with low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised.

3.78/5  rDev +3%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

a: black in color with a fluffy white head that settles into a thin lacing.

s: roasted malt. not much more to say

t: lots of roasted malt flavor with notes of burnt grain, bittersweet chocolate and hints of tobacco. finishes clean.

m: good mouthfeel.

a solid black lager. reminds me of Full Sail's Session Black Lager and brings back fond memories of Buzzards Bay Black Lager (though not nearly as delicious IMO).

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured chilled in large dessert glass

A: solid black; good sized head drops down pretty quickly; black; good carbonation
S: toasted grains, doughy malt
T: nice balance of (prominent) toasted grains, (prominent) malt, and (light) hops; semisweet; not bitter; not complex; very drinkable

Not bad; good sessionable beer

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

After.being very disappointed with a magic hat variety pack.(my first and last magic hat experience) I was reluctant to try this one. Black lager was right up my alley but my previous magic hat scars were still there. It wasn't until the town drunk came into my work and insisted that I try it.
My first sip was a huge surprise, it didn't suck. Not only that but it was an excellent beer, I sucked down that six pack in no time.

Howl from Magic Hat Brewing Company