Howl - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Schwarzbier |  4.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Born of dark and cold and snow in the marrow of the northeast's longest night, Howl comes in on wailing winds with winter-weary eyes burning holes in sunless shadows. In its darkened depths our inner voids are warmed.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-18-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Howl Alström Bros

2.52/5  rDev -31.3%

2.53/5  rDev -31.1%

I had this on tap at Bobbique in Patchogue, NY and was served this with a platter of ribs. I thought it looked fine with a small head and its aroma was okay with coffee tinged malts, but nothing fancy for a winter ale. When I got the first taste, I thought it must be the bbq ribs, so I had water and bread before trying again. It may have needed a little time to warm up after coming through a cold tap. It tasted like a black version of Euro- pale lagers with nothing in body or taste. Not bad, but no substance to it. I consumed half the pint and then moved on to something else.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

pours dark brown almost black with a 1+finger head that left rings of lacing down the glass

smells of roasted chocolate malts

taste is a bit thin - some spice some roast but in the end a terrible bitter funky aftertaste i hated

mouthfeel was good light very carbonated that made it very crisp

drinkability is below par - i am glad i bought a single

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

This beer is unique among the winter seasonals that I have tried. For me, it is not unique in a good way.

I found the tastes of tobacco and liquorish to dominate the other flavors. The same is true for the smell of the beer. Drinking the beer almost became a chore.

The texture is nice, it is velvety and smooth, and the appearance is nearly black and appealing.

2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

This is a style I really REALLY like, but I don't care for magic hat. It has been good to give their seasonal pack a try though, certainly they make an effort.

Blackish yes, and for them low carbonation...I can't complain but it isn't going to get high marks.

Roasted and toasted notes with some sour ale like notes, hops are coming into play but not as well as they could.

Toast comes out front but a good amount of subtle hops follow. This is a touch off putting at this late stage of the night but I also started the night here so I can safely say this works well. It however lacks the malt back to really finish. I love this style because it blends ales and stouts without ever getting too big, but a touch more malt would really add to the finish and push this beer to something special.

Once again Magic Hat makes a beer that gets close but fails before the finish.

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

A - This beer has a fantastic appearance, and has just about everything I look for in a brew. Some nice foamy, light tan head that retained itself quite well. The color is rather magnificent. Rather dark with a nice burgundy/red wine color where light penetrates. Lacing is moderate and certainly there. It's very visually appealing! The only thing that might make it better to me is some light carbonation floating up, which I always like to see.

S - I don't know, but I could pull out almost no smell. At first I was able to get some toffee-like or caramel hints out of it, but a couple minutes after pouring I didn't detect any of that. There seemed to be a little maybe malty-sweetness or maybe fortified wine aroma, but that was about it. This smell really doesn't impress me, since there's hardly anything there.

T - Again, I'm pretty let down by the taste. It seemed to match the nose rather well, with some light roasted toffee/caramel flavors. There's a little malty sweetness as well. Aftertaste was sort of non-existent. Only thing that stayed with me was a little bit of bitterness. There aren't any bad flavors, but there certainly isn't any flavor I'd right home about.

M - Not bad. Very mildly "syrupy", but otherwise sort of light and thin. Not really any carbonation present, just sort of an average mouthfeel.

D - Good drinkability in that it's refreshing, and doesn't feel so substation (carbonated, thick, etc.) that you feel like you're drinking a meal. If this beer is enjoyable to you there likely wouldn't be any problem throwing a few back.

Overall, this is probably my least favorite offering from Magic Hat that I've had. It's not BAD, I just don't think it has a whole lot behind it that's GOOD. I'll probably give it another try sometime just to see if I have a new perspective.

2.65/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a perfect pint. Served cool.

Pours a reddish black body and a thick beige head. Clean lager yeast smell. Faint chocolate and metal. Light herb and flower. Smoked malt surprises you. Burnt toast. Very subtle chocolate. Faint hop flavor in there too. Well carbonated. Somewhat dry. Complex. Interesting. But I kind of like this style being smooth. Have more of a chocolate feel to it. A bit too coarse for me.

2.68/5  rDev -27%

Appearance - A very opaque black. No head and it laces poorly to the glass.

Smell - Smells a bit like a black lager. Light coffee and espresso notes.

Taste - More stout-like than I expected. Carbonated coffee and espresso notes. Heavily carbonated. This beer seems very artificial-tasting to me, though it does match the category quite well.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - A decent offering for a lighter winter option. A bit hard to swallow because of the carbonation despite its light body.

Howl from Magic Hat Brewing Company