Hex - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: soccerman7 on 08-01-2010

A malty amber ale with hints of toffee and caramel and a slightly smoky finish.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hex Alström Bros
Ratings: 923 | Reviews: 323
4.67/5  rDev +34.6%

Poured into an Irish pint glass.

The beer is a pure golden caramel color. An off-white head dissipates rapidly but leaves a film. Light lacing sticks to the glass.

The beer smells of sweet caramel, malts, and butter.

The beer tastes just like I want my marzens to taste: loads of sticky sweet caramel and malts. There's also some faint toffee and buttery biscuits in there.

Mouthfeel is Smooth and sticky, like a melted caramel candy.

Overall, I didn't expect this, but this might be my favorite marzen this year. Just awesome in every aspect. I'm glad the Brothers agree. This is really well done.

4.45/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Code dates to July 9, 2012. Consumed August 2, 2012.

A - Brilliantly clear deep orange with large off-white head that settles into a rocky appearance. Carbonation appears moderate. Lacing very prominent. Beautiful.

S - Strong aroma of toasted sweetbread obvious immediately upon opening the bottle.

T - Complex melanoidins on bready malt with intricate dark sugars. Very faint hint of... smoke? Transitions into a modest german-type hop middle with the faintest tingling spiciness of rye. Fades into a bone dry finish with a subtle lingering dark fruit.

M - Medium to heavy body, medium carbonation. Excellent.

O - I want more!

4.45/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle, cap say's "Life in a hurry makes everything blurry"

This is called "Ourtoberfest" by Magic Hat. Orange/amber in color, sweet malty scent, slightly citrus in smell and taste!
Head wasy creamy/frothy white, laced glass nicely.

A good autumn time brew, not actually like a regular German Marzenbier/Oktoberfest, but very drinkable.

4.37/5  rDev +25.9%

Perfect Autumn Brew.
Had this at a nice dinner potluck with friends in Early October.

Straight From bottle, has a nice thickness and warm taste. very much like a toffee and cinamin with a slight malted hoppy finish, goes down so smooth. Perfect for a Crisp autumn night with friends.

4.24/5  rDev +22.2%

22 oz bottle poured into a glass.

A: reddish orange color with slight white outer lacing.

S: brown sugar, sweet spices and subtle fruit notes.

T: smooth light malts, tastey October spices and a sweet almost flowery finish.

M: creamy, light, and watery on the palate.

D: overall a super sessionable all night long Octoberfest.

4.23/5  rDev +21.9%

A - Carbonated crystal copper body with a huge head full of large bubbles and the color of eggshells. As the head recedes it offers a humocky top.

S - Nice combination of slightly sweet malt and an edge of leafy hops.

T - Solid malt base of thin bread and sweet quick roasted malts. The finish offers a nice very mild hoppy bitterness. This is a very flavorful Oktoberfest style brew. One of the best flavor combination I've had in this style.

M - The feel is dry but not too dry. I think the feel in this brew may have been an accident. There's allot of carbonation making for a coarse texture, which seems to be contradictory compared to most other dry feeling beers I've had.

~ Overall this is a very good, drinkable, sessionable, likable brew. You should certainly pick up a six pack for yourself.

4.2/5  rDev +21%

A: Dark Reddish Amber with a small white head. Clear.

S: Yeasty, Bready, Caramel Malts, Peated Smoke aroma, Roasted Astringent aroma.

T: Sweet Caramels, Roasted barley, a touch of chocolate, and peated malt character. Similar to aroma. Complex Malt flavors. Not overly sweet. a tad astringent but not offensive. subtle lingering english hop character.

MF: Nice and smooth with low/moderate carbonation.

D: My favorite Magic Hat beer i've had so far. Lots of character and flavors. My bottle must be fresh because you can taste the grains perfectly. Alcohol is well hidden. more like an Irish Red ale or a Scottish 80 Shilling than an American Amber. Enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev +21%

Pours a pretty clear golden amber with a substantial off-white fine-bubbled head. Crisp, malty aroma has a strong fruity-sweet tone, mainly apricot and pear, as well as a hint of powdery lemonade. Flavor is fruity, again mostly apricot and pear, with a malty undertone and a hint of hops. Texture is smooth, fizzy and a little dusty - truly unique, and pleasing.

4.17/5  rDev +20.2%

I'm re-reviewing this beer and I actually seem to be liking it a lot more than when I tried it last year. It has a really nice smell of chocolate caramel malts, with some cherry malt (very nice) which adds fruitiness to it and I also get some citrus from the hops.

The taste is very smooth upfront with the caramel toffee malts and then that cherry malt comes through which mixes well with the citrus bitter hops in the back end of the taste.

The mouthfeel is pretty thick for a lower alcohol beer as well and the fruitiness in the beer is surprising. Its a pretty unique malt bill that really sets this aside big time from a lot of the traditional Oktoberfests that are brewed by the other breweries. Definitely a unique beer for the style. Definitely liking it way more this time around.

4.14/5  rDev +19.3%

A- A clear orange liquid with some amber hues. The head is thin and splotchy.

S- Apples, brown sugar, vanilla and a touch of smoke.

T- Smoke, sweet caramel, vanilla, and apples. Very unique and enjoyable. This oddly reminds me of a light quad.

M- A light amount of carbonation with some lasting sweetness.

D- Very flavorful and drinkable. Much better than I expected. All of the flavors compliment each other nicely.

4.11/5  rDev +18.4%

Slightly opaque with a dull orange/rust color. No head at all. Looks appetizing.

Not much nose, but subtle spice hints and some nuttiness.

Mmmmm... Malty and some caramel hints, without being sweet. Lots of flavor, and a nice aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is great--there's no bite, it's a creamy, full-bodied beer. It almost deserves a 5, but for a very slight chalky aftertaste.

Overall, I am very pleased with this beer. I'll have to go back and look at my previous ratings, but I don't think Magic Hat rated very highly. I may need to revise my opinion of this brewery. This is one of the best Oktoberfests I've had.

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

Appearence is amber but very light with gold hints. Smell is good and the flavor, well, taste this stuff. Bitter, sweet and slight hints of carmel. The great thing is this is not over spiced in any way. Mouthfeel is good in and clean finish. Great with roast beef or ham, with a little swiss. enjoy. over all a winner and fidge worthy.

4.08/5  rDev +17.6%

A - Poured a nice dark amber with an inch of fluffy white head. Looks pretty decent.

S - You get a nice whiff of amber malt with a slight roasty character, some caramel, and some mild hop tones.

T - Very enjoyable actually. You get some sweet caramel followed by some slight nutty amber and finishes dry with some hop flavor. Very good overall.

M - Light to medium bodied. Drinkable,

D - Overall I enjoyed this more than the Roxy Rolles which for some reason I was comparing it to since I thought they were both Oktoberfest's. I may just pick up the Variety case since all beers are overall enjoyable. Great beer.

4.07/5  rDev +17.3%

Happily came across Hex, "Ourtoberfest." in my local beer store over the weekend. Have always liked most offerings from Magic Hat and I was not disappointed this time.

Poured a rich red, similar to an Irish Red. Maybe an inch of head that clung to the sides all the way down. Beret happy that the lace stay thru the whole drink.

Clean smell. Not as hoppy as I would have expected.

Taste was quite good. Clean, with a bit of clove, it was easy to drink and even easier to open a second bottle.

4.06/5  rDev +17%

Bought a Night of the Living Dead Variety 12 pack from Magic Hat when we did the groceries.
I tried the Hex 1st. Pours a slightly cloudy golden amber, almost no head, but carbonated OK. Slight lacing on what head is there.
A nice balance between malt and High Alpha Hops in this one.
This beer pairs nice with a Corned Beef on Rye. Could easily drink a couple as the ABV is about average on this guy.

4.04/5  rDev +16.4%

A: This beer pours a clear red/amber body with an off-white head that recedes quicky.

S: A dry blend, but balanced, nose of sweet toffee, earthy hops, spices, a bit of sourness, as well as toasted & grainy malts.

T: A well balanced flavor of sweet toffee, dry toasted malts, and a bit of a bitter herbal hops. In the finish one can pick up a faint hint of smoke, but not much as I expected.

M: Medium body, light carbonation, and a light & creamy texture.

D: This beer is very light and refreshing and perfect for the fall season. It's extremely easy to drink, good price, and easy to find when it's in season.

4.02/5  rDev +15.9%

Hex poured a bark amber color, with very little head, that disapated completely very quickly. It had a malty smell. The taste had a very malty tone to it, a pretty strong toffee flavor as well. Strong flavor, and nice carbonation made it realitivly easy to drink. Overall a very intresting beer, and a good one as well.

Hex Magic Hat Brewing Company Amber/Red ale 5.4% alcohol. I was a the market and was in the mood for a malty craft beer and well I found exactly what I was looking for in this sixer.

A- A vigorous pour produces a one inch off white head that ligers for most of the beer. Leaves a decent patchy rings of lacing on the pint glass.

S- Sweet malts and mild floral hops upfront with musky carmel and brown sugar in the backbone.

T-M- Rich bites of caramel and toffee upfront followed by sweet sugary malts that are balance by a light hop charactor of citrus and grass.
Mouthfeel is smooth and mildly carbonated. Slick feel on the tongue.

Overall this is a drinker that goes down easy and goes with almost any occation. An excellent offering from Magic Hat... cheers!!

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Quick to foam with a dismal lace, the dried orange peel color shows some clarity. Vague hits of caramel, smoke, spicy rye and herbal hop in the nose. Creamy medium body yields a modest smoothness. Malty, with a big flash of caramel sweetness to start. Hop bitterness and a hint of rye go for balance as a thin layer of smokiness covers the palate. Semisweet, ending with herbal hop, remnants of smoke and a touch of biscuity grain. Magic Hat is up to their old tricks by concocting this creation.

Hex opens with a malty, yeasty nose that resembles fresh baguettes, mixed with brown sugars, berries, and touches of grapefruit from the hops. The mix is light, but well-balanced, tending more toward the malt and sugar aromas, and enticing.

On the tongue, the beer opens with malt flavors, especially biscuit and toast grains, with small touches of rice. Some berries, apples, and oranges drift lazily in the background, lightly tinging the flavor profile with sugars. Hops are mostly noticeable as a light buzzing on the tongue and soft palate, with just a shade of citrus zest. Subsequent sips reveal lesser fruit flavors, and more lemon/lime citrus notes, the sweeter sugars not quite keeping up with the hops. The aftertaste is mainly grains, with hints of sugar and grapefruit, and fades slowly. Mouthfeel is medium-light, and carbonation is medium.

Overall, this is a good beer, but not much separates it from many of its peers. The flavors are balanced and nuanced, even if a bit more sugar would help them stand out, or at least provide a bit of excitement.

Magic Hat Hex has a medium, fluffy, off-white head, a slightly hazy, copper appearance with lots of streaming bubbles, and some lacing on the glass. The aroma is of medium-roasted, sweet, fruity barley malt and bread crust. Taste is of roasted malt, wood, bread crust, sweetness, and it has a nice underlying hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is light to medium, and Magic Hat Hex finishes mostly dry, clean, and very refreshing. This beer is super sessionable, and I rate it as being very good. Get some!

RJT

I drank this from a pint glass...

The beer pours an amber/ copper color with a thick egg-shell colored head. It smells of toasted caramel malt, butter and toffee. The taste is big on toffee, with earthy hops bread and caramel and a slightly smoky bitter finish. It has a medium body with low carbonation and a bit of a dry finish. This was a decent Octoberfest, has more of a bitter side than most which I did enjoy.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams pint glass. Purchased at Nikki's Liquors in North Providence, Rhode Island.

A- Pours a golden-orange clear body with a generous 3" head that reduces to a white film and leaves a little lacing.

S- Nutty and malty with a vanilla-caramel backbone. Fresh and inviting.

T- Starts with a sweet vanilla caramel malt flavor and ends with a nice citrus hoppy finish. Tasty and balanced.

M- Medium-heavy body, medium low carbonation. Smooth.

Overall, I enjoyed this one. Balance was the big winner here. You get a big malt character typical of octoberfests, and just enough hops to compliment the malt.

Ok so I'm sitting here reviewing this beer I just purchased from a neat little beer store in here in Morgantown WV, in my Hotel Room.

So let's dive right in:

Appearance - I guess it's average or better - I don't have a glass as my employer is too cheap to put me in a nice hotel that puts actual glasses in your room - so I just have styrofoam cups. Plus I'm lazy and am drinking straight from the bottle. Call it an average - hell beauty is in the eye of the beholder right? However, after pouring into one of those said cups - it looks reddish - kind of like a high vitamin'ish pee. I really didn't get no large foaming head, and what small head I did get quickly disappated. Now only large bubbles cling to side of my cup - probably due to the styrofoam. It's no concern though as I'm on my second one, as the beer is quite tasty - getting a head of myself ...or as they say in literature terms - that's a bit of foreshadowing.

Smell - I'll be quite honest - I can't smell a damned thing. I do have a screwed up nose, but really there isn't much smell - a small hint of what may be malt. Is this due to the cheap paper cups or is it due to that it's mid november and the Magic Hat site says the quit brewing this around Sept 15th (explains the no freshness label). I'm going to go with average. It doesn't smell bad, and it doesn't smell good.

Taste- is malty and what I would call lightly sweet - not so much a caramel sweet but more like a tangy bbq sweet. I doubt that makes any sense. I like it though. There is no lingering aftertaste and that "malty slightly sweet" taste still manages to stay - but it's a welcome stay. Let me pause while I get number three. Same on this one, however I must add that for me mouthfeel and taste go hand in hand....which brings me to... (ohh... 4.5 on taste)

Mouthfeel - CRISP - I'm giving it a 5, it's the way I like a beer to feel. It doesn't feel like I'm coating my mouth with something.

Overall - I'm going to give it a 4 as I'm not sure about the smell or the appearance but at the end of the day it's all about taste so I'm going to weight it that way.

Doubt this review was helpful, but at the same time it's my review and my opinion.

Pours a nice light amber color with not a lot of head that quickly disappears to a thin lace around the body. The smell is nice of caramel malts and hops. It has a little sweet taste when hit first hits the tongue than the hops come in and takes over. I think it is very good beer, very drinkable, smooth and great mouth feel. I could drink this one all October long.

Hex from Magic Hat Brewing Company