Hex - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: soccerman7 on 08-01-2010

A malty amber ale with hints of toffee and caramel and a slightly smoky finish.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hex Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -64%

1.5/5  rDev -56.8%

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

2.06/5  rDev -40.6%

Grabbed a single of this new one from MH today at Martys in Newton. Pours out a clear amber color, with just a small amount of lacing for the heading. Smell is a mix of sugar water, beets, (sort of wacko like in that regard) and some bubblegum. Taste hits the palate on a very sweet note, contains traces of fruit, toasted bread and a strange herbal character as well. Body is light to medium, with all of the flavors coming off on the stale side, thus not helping the thinnish mouthfeel. Drinkability, well...not quite a drain pour but I would be lying if I said I did not come very close. This is easily one of Magic's Hats poorest brews. Why they would bring this one out, and discontinue a great seasonal beer like Jinx is beyond me. Since they have already been bought out, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but oh well.. Bad beer.

2.1/5  rDev -39.5%

Hex pours a transluscent amber color with hints of red and a head that disapates quickly.

Scents I pick up are toasted malts and nothing else. Not very pleasant.

The taste is extremely toasty and almost harsh for it's moderately low APV. A bit smoky but it becomes somewhat mysterious that I can't quite pick up the full flavor... Possibly fruit?

The mouthfeel is light bodied but with pretty good amount of carbonation.

Just not very enjoyable to drink more than one. A typical Magic Hat dud.

A decent Magic Hat effort and a considerable beer for the season but it lacks a noticeable factor in all areas.. I would consider buying the Magic Hat fall variety instead of a sixer of these.

2.18/5  rDev -37.2%

A: poured from a bottle with minimal head and no lacing. Looks like a very deep yellow urine to a light copper color. Not looking good for this one already.
S: I can't say anything more than this beer smells like a Bud, Miller or Coors.
T: Not good for either an amber or Oktoberfest like the label says. Bittersweet indiscernible flavor that seems to get better the further down I go in the glass.
M: very thin with high carbonation.
D: not something I want more than one of. I'll give one more a try but I may be pawning these off on some of my friends.

Overall: Not worth the space it took up in my cooler to bring it back to Biloxi.

EDIT: tried it again tonight and this beer without a doubt is terrible. I don't know if I'll give these away or if I will simply sink pour the other four because I don't know if I'd wish this beer upon my worst enemy. Dos Equis Amber is more enjoyable to drink.

2.21/5  rDev -36.3%

A-amber with a thin cream head that disappears

S-lightly roasted barley with some honey, extremely faint smelling.

T-very malted and somewhat smokey with the smokiness really coming in with the after-taste with just a touch honey. very smooth.

M-heavy creamy carbonation, wet finish.

D-nope, taste becomes awful. I actually had a difficult time finishing

2.29/5  rDev -34%

12oz single, Why oh why did i purchase thee? Woodmans of course

appearance: served in a great dane nonic pint, clear copper-amber, fluffy white cap with decent retention

smell: sweet and bready, very soapy

taste: soapy water, off bready notes, artificial sweetness, musty, grain. I'll drink half, then down the tubes. Boring, a little offensive, and i didnt need another beer anyway.

mouthfeel: a little unpleasant

drinkability:off

2.32/5  rDev -33.1%

I was excited for the weather to cool off and the Autumn beers to be released. I purchased this beer with with moderate expectations and an open mind; I was dissapointed. The Hex Ourtoberfest tasted like an uninteresting amber ale. Uponn puring into the pint glass I noticed and odd aroma; can't quite put my finger on it. It's a medium-body ale with a sweet lingering aftertaste.

There are certainly better autumn offerings out there; skip this one.

2.36/5  rDev -32%

Pours a clear copper color with a thin head and minimal lacing. The aroma is caramel and sweet malt. The flavor is caramel with bread crust and sweet malt. A bit sweeter than most fall rews. It's mouthfeel is light. Magic Hat Hex is a decent beer, recommended.

Hex from Magic Hat Brewing Company