Hex - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.40% ABV

Availability: Fall

A malty amber ale with hints of toffee and caramel and a slightly smoky finish.

(Beer added by: soccerman7 on 08-01-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hex Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -64%

1.5/5  rDev -56.8%

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

1.75/5  rDev -49.6%

2.05/5  rDev -40.9%

Grabbed a single of this new one from MH today at Martys in Newton. Pours out a clear amber color, with just a small amount of lacing for the heading. Smell is a mix of sugar water, beets, (sort of wacko like in that regard) and some bubblegum. Taste hits the palate on a very sweet note, contains traces of fruit, toasted bread and a strange herbal character as well. Body is light to medium, with all of the flavors coming off on the stale side, thus not helping the thinnish mouthfeel. Drinkability, well...not quite a drain pour but I would be lying if I said I did not come very close. This is easily one of Magic's Hats poorest brews. Why they would bring this one out, and discontinue a great seasonal beer like Jinx is beyond me. Since they have already been bought out, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but oh well.. Bad beer.

2.1/5  rDev -39.5%

Hex pours a transluscent amber color with hints of red and a head that disapates quickly.

Scents I pick up are toasted malts and nothing else. Not very pleasant.

The taste is extremely toasty and almost harsh for it's moderately low APV. A bit smoky but it becomes somewhat mysterious that I can't quite pick up the full flavor... Possibly fruit?

The mouthfeel is light bodied but with pretty good amount of carbonation.

Just not very enjoyable to drink more than one. A typical Magic Hat dud.

A decent Magic Hat effort and a considerable beer for the season but it lacks a noticeable factor in all areas.. I would consider buying the Magic Hat fall variety instead of a sixer of these.

2.17/5  rDev -37.5%

A-amber with a thin cream head that disappears

S-lightly roasted barley with some honey, extremely faint smelling.

T-very malted and somewhat smokey with the smokiness really coming in with the after-taste with just a touch honey. very smooth.

M-heavy creamy carbonation, wet finish.

D-nope, taste becomes awful. I actually had a difficult time finishing

2.23/5  rDev -35.7%

A: poured from a bottle with minimal head and no lacing. Looks like a very deep yellow urine to a light copper color. Not looking good for this one already.
S: I can't say anything more than this beer smells like a Bud, Miller or Coors.
T: Not good for either an amber or Oktoberfest like the label says. Bittersweet indiscernible flavor that seems to get better the further down I go in the glass.
M: very thin with high carbonation.
D: not something I want more than one of. I'll give one more a try but I may be pawning these off on some of my friends.

Overall: Not worth the space it took up in my cooler to bring it back to Biloxi.

EDIT: tried it again tonight and this beer without a doubt is terrible. I don't know if I'll give these away or if I will simply sink pour the other four because I don't know if I'd wish this beer upon my worst enemy. Dos Equis Amber is more enjoyable to drink.

12oz single, Why oh why did i purchase thee? Woodmans of course

appearance: served in a great dane nonic pint, clear copper-amber, fluffy white cap with decent retention

smell: sweet and bready, very soapy

taste: soapy water, off bready notes, artificial sweetness, musty, grain. I'll drink half, then down the tubes. Boring, a little offensive, and i didnt need another beer anyway.

mouthfeel: a little unpleasant

drinkability:off

2.3/5  rDev -33.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint. 5.4% ABV, Enjoy by Nov. 30 2010.

A - Brilliant clarity allows the golden orange color to shine and show off the nice carbonation. Good low tan head with nice retention but only a little lace.

S - Fall-like crisp caramel malts and light biscuity notes with an inviting aroma. Nutty hints to the grassy and lightly citrus nose are nice. The hops impart those balancing things but in the end it's still a little odd. Metallic notes.

T - The flavor is very metallic with a harsh dry bite on the finish that kills the nice caramel maltiness and grassy hop flavor. This is almost downright undrinkable.

M - Dry metallic tin-like finish with a medium body and a touch of hop bitterness balanced with caramel malt sweetness. Way too metallic though - it ruins it.

D - Nope, drain pour. Each sip is insulting to me. The metallic flavor and feel is so bad. There is lots of hope within this beer. If they work on it, it could be good.

2.3/5  rDev -33.7%

I was excited for the weather to cool off and the Autumn beers to be released. I purchased this beer with with moderate expectations and an open mind; I was dissapointed. The Hex Ourtoberfest tasted like an uninteresting amber ale. Uponn puring into the pint glass I noticed and odd aroma; can't quite put my finger on it. It's a medium-body ale with a sweet lingering aftertaste.

There are certainly better autumn offerings out there; skip this one.

Hex from Magic Hat Brewing Company