Demo - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States

American Black Ale |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: NEhophead on 01-13-2011

Demo is a deliciously dark lick of an India Pale Ale. It’s medley of roasted malts and heady hops will have your senses dancing to the beat of a different I.P.A.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Demo Alström Bros
Ratings: 403 | Reviews: 139
1.76/5  rDev -48.8%

Reminds me of yuengling porter. Dark pour. No smell taste is weak. This is not what I would expect from an IPA. I'm glad I got the spring fever variety pack. I do not know what I would do. If I had to drink a whole class of this stuff. Completely did not meet expectations.

Had this at a tasting tonight in a small glass. I was intrigued by the color obviously for an IPA but as I tasted it I realized it was the newer "dark ale" or whatever it's formally being called. I've had a few of these now and this was the worst.

Appearance was nothing to speak about. There was a head and it left some lacing but it looked how I would expect a beer with that much carbonation to look. Nothing frothy and generous but just some traditional bubbles that faded moderately

The smell was very diluted. I wet the tip of my nose just trying to get a strong enough smell to discern anything regarding the aroma. There was not much there. Some burnt malt with a little fizz and some deeply buried hops.

The taste was not a whole lot more exciting than the nose. A little burnt malt with some coffee hinting with the hops so far in the back, it "pales" in comparison to finer ales.

Mouthfeel was like soda pop. Not much body and nothing left on the palate to speak of.

Drinkability - yes, you can drink it. But I doubt you'll be rushing out of your seat for seconds.

2's across the board. Not impressed. But I've never been extremely impressed with Magic Hat in general. Not to mention this style has a long way to go before it's close to being perfected. There is potential here, but this has a ways to go in my opinion.

2.06/5  rDev -40.1%

A: Dark brown body, acceptable head & lacing

S: Slight coffee/caramel aroma, somewhat weak

T: Malty, roasted flavor. Hops are very subdued, a twinge on the back-end, but too little too late.

M: Rather thin, balance seemed off.

D: Drinkable, but would not receive an 'encore'.

I've enjoyed the other Magic Hat 'IPA on tour' offerings, but this one truly misses the mark. As others have stated, it presents more like a porter, which is fine & well, as long as you really aren't expecting/wanting that hoppy IPA experience.

2.12/5  rDev -38.4%

Alright, I just got this out of a Magic Hat variety pack. I was excited to try their black IPA. Unfortunately I detect no odor whatsoever. The taste is more like a weak porter more than an IPA. Bottom line this beer blows. This is the first Magic Hat I have ever had and I don't think I will be back.

2.27/5  rDev -34%

Appearance -- Pours a rich dark hue with a fizzy khaki head. LOTS of chocolate brown sediment.

Smell -- Burnt malt, cocoa, brown sugar, and spearmint. Smells very much like a garden variety porter. Not bad, but where is the hop aroma?

Taste -- Burnt malt, coffee grounds, ash, mild molasses sweetness, dry grass, and citrus zest. Lingering flavors of burnt toast and grapefruit pith.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-light in body, ample fizzy carbonation. Not that great.

Drinkability -- IPA must still be on tour. As a general dark beer, it's average, but to claim that this is a Black IPA is a stretch. Beyond not having enough hop assertiveness for an IPA, the malt is so burnt and ashy that it's difficult to finish. Not a fan.

2.3/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours a deep amber to brown in color with a tan head. In the aroma, a caramel roast and a bit sweet. In the taste, a small caramel like roast but a bit watery. A smooth and lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a dry small grapefruit and caramel like roast in the aftertaste. Hops came to play in the aftertaste, and the nose is bigger than taste, quite thin and watery.

2.61/5  rDev -24.1%

This beer pours a dark brown with extremely thin white head that disappears almost immediately

The smell is all roasted malt like its a porter or a stout, there is no evidence of hops in this beer at all.

the taste is pretty close to the smell, all malt and roast malt to the taste there is no bitterness and no hops. Did they forget to add the hops to this beer?

mouthfeel is a little above avergae and drinkability is average. if you are looking for a basic stout or porter by all means pick up a six pack, but if you want a good black ipa go with hoppy feet

2.68/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

best by: may 31 2011, poured into pint glass

A- A modest brown hue. A creamy head forms with some sticky lacing.

S- Smooth roasted malts. Some chocolate, a creamy sweetness, some earthy piney hops finally comes through. Malt mostly.

T- A big taste of chocolate and mild roasted malt upfront. Smooth. Hops are mostly absent. Some faint bitterness with no direction.

M- Medium to light bodied, wet, lingers ok. Kind of thin and watery.

O/D- No alc. Quite unimpressed. More like a watery stout then a ABA.

2.69/5  rDev -21.8%

Grabbed this as part of a mix 6 for the purpose of reviewing. Pours black, like a stout, some cocoa colored head with fair retention. The nose is predominantly roasty with notes of chocolate and roasted barley. I am not getting the big hop profile that I'd expect from an ABA, instead this smells more like a porter/stout. The taste is roasty like the nose with a very mellow flavor. Some hop character makes its way to the surface towards the finish, but it seems to clash with the roasted profile that is happening. This brew has an identity crisis, as the dark malts and the piney hops compete for the spotlight. With that being said, the balance is a little off. The mouthfeel is thin with moderate carbonation. There is a wateriness to this beer as well. Overall, I would say pass on this. Magic Hat certainly does some interesting things on the branding/marketing side of things, but the product inside the bottle is lackluster and forgettable.

2.73/5  rDev -20.6%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - dark brown color with a tight beige head that left a decent amount of lacing behind.

S - roasted malt and a hint of cocoa powder, no real aroma of any hops.

T - roasted malt sweetness upfront with the slightest hint of bitterness midway with an odd bitter to sticky sweet finish.

F - medium bodied with a crisp feel.

D - it went down easy.

2.83/5  rDev -17.7%

Best by April 30, 2011 on bottle. 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a murky, dark brown color with a good sized foamy, light brown head. Head dissipates to a thin, tan cap that sticks around and leaves good foamy lacing.

The nose isn't all that strong and consists mainly of a roasted malt aroma. At times it seems like I can pick up some hints of chocolate or coffee but when I look for them again they're gone. No real hop presence.

The taste is more of the same. Roasted malt is prominent and sometimes seems like its the only flavor. Some, and by some I mean very little, hop flavor towards the finish, maybe some slight pine notes. Finishes with a burnt flavor I can't quite put my finger on.

Medium carbonation with a body that is on the higher side of medium gives it a full mouthfeel. Definitely a heavier beer for the style, although not too heavy relative to other beers.

Drinkability is ok. It's not a terrible beer, but it isn't that good for a beer of its style. Definitely somewhere between a brown ale or a stout with a little bit of hops.

2.9/5  rDev -15.7%

Part of the new sampler pack, the new spring beer for Magic Hat. Seems like Black IPA's are the new rage around the breweries, and now that it has become one of my new favorite styles, can't say I really complain.

Pours a very, very dark brown with a tannish head. Smell is of roasted malts. Taste is medium bodied, very stout like. Almost no bitterness or hops can even be detected. Has an almost sweet sort of taste to it, like cocoa powder or coka-cola. Definitely doesn't taste like an IPA and tastes kind of confused overall. I like the style, and this is drinkable for sure, but for me Magic Hat missed the boat here... way too much of a mess.

2.91/5  rDev -15.4%

My first Black IPA, and Magic Hat has made some good and tasty brews. Lets see how this one goes.

A: Appearance was very dark, no transparency whatsoever. Thick full finger of bubbly head with lacing that continued halfway thru the brew. Very nice on the eyes, almost reminds me of a coffeehouse concoction you pay a barista to make.

S: Very mild. Couldn't pick up much, but had some hints of roasted coffee and some other earthy tones. Beer wasn't ice cold when I opened it. Kept whisking it around in the glass as I drank, hoping it would get a bit aromatic with warmth but that wasn't really the case.

T: Some sweet/bitterness at the beginning, leading into roasted flavors. Coffee, chocolate, some nuttyness as well. Maybe a hint of pine, or maybe my palette is confusing the bitter roasts with the sweet/bitter fruit? Not unejoyable but im not tasting much hoppyness here. Bottle says black IPA, while its labeled as an American Black Ale. Most of whats coming thru on my tongue is the roasted flavors and mild sweetness.

M: Average amount of carbonation, and despite the ABV doesn't leave a very dry feeling.

O: Giving this a 3. Granted its my first Black IPA, I was hoping for more on the nose and a bit more taste. Would be interested in trying it on tap to compare.

2.91/5  rDev -15.4%

A-very dark, black as night fingers width tan head.

S-slight pine hops heavy burnt toast and an odd nuttiness.

T-burnt flavors with a lingering drying bitterness.ash taste sticks around.

M-medium bodied and smooth very nice carbonation.

D-Not very impressed and at the same time it's not horrible I guess.

Prost!!!

2.98/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

I wrote notes on this about a month ago, but I realized that I didn't get it into BA until today.

On the pour I had a ton of foam. The glass was more than a third in head. I thought that would mean a lot of aroma, but there wasn't much there. I only picked up some coffee and no real hoppiness coming off the top.

The flavor was mostly thin coffee with some roasted malts. I didn't catch any hop flavors. There wasn't much to the flavors. I hoped for more, but it wasn't there.

3.02/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a hazy brown with an offwhite head that recedes to a ring of foam. Some lacing is left behind.

The smell is smokey pine. Nice hopping.

The taste is a slightly ipa taste with some smokey malts. The combination doesn't work too well for me as the malt is not that sweet. The beer just seems to be missing something.

Mouthfeel is ok, albeit a little gritty if that makes any sense.

Overall.. not a beer I'd go for again.

12 oz bottle, part of the spring 12 pack mix

A- Jet black, minimal head , thin lace sticks with the beer to the end.

S - Smoke, dry hops.

T- Like chewing on a burnt piece of wood that you took out of the
fire pit. The smoke overrides all other flavors. There is some chocolate malt and coffee notes, and some faint hops, not as much as expected. Dry finish.

M - Mouthfeel is good, decent carbonation, balance

O - Still not sold on the style. The overly roasted smoke taste has yet to click with my taste buds. If that is what you are looking for, give this one a try.

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

I poured this into a pint glass , it has a nice black body with a small tan head that hangs around and laces the glass really well. The smell is of roasted malt with a very slight hint of hops. The taste is very dominate of the roasted malts. They give it a nice rich roasted and chocolate flavor. There are no hops present in the taste. The mouth feel is good and overall this is a good beer, just not tasting like a ipa.
This is the last of ipa on tour that i had to try and by far it is my least favorite.

3.03/5  rDev -11.9%

Bottle supplied by the brewery.

Pours almost totally black, with a light brown head.

Doesn't smell hoppy, rather it smells like a brown ale or porter. Coffee and molasses notes here. But it's a good smell.

I can't say this tastes like a black IPA. It's more like a porter. The flavors of coffee and roasted malt are good, just not to style. Low bitterness and not much hop flavor.

Creamy body is nice.

Overall this beer is a fine porter. It's just not a black IPA.

3.04/5  rDev -11.6%

Boy oooohhhh Boy....I am struggling with this beer. I admire the moxy of Magic Hat to try an American Black Ale....which I refer to as a Black IPA. I just do not think it came together. The appearance, for me, is not rated high because of the floaties present...more than there should be. The color is black and you cannot see through it. Almost no head and poor lacing. The scent is gives the beer promise, definitely has a hop to it. The taste though comes of very espresso-ish and acidic. The of course hampers the mouthfeel. I would not session this beer. I am glad to have the opportunity to try this beer, but would not drink a lot of it.

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Coffee black pour has a fizzy weak khaki colored head that is quick to dissipate. Lackluster appeal, no lacing, meh.

S: Medicinal & coffee notes with a decent amount of roasty nature, but offers little in the way of hop presence for a supposed Cascadian ipa.

T: Acidic coffee, milky bitter chocolate roast that is smooth and dark. Dark bitter fruit, some smooth wet charred silt, as with the nose the hops are hard to distinguish, playing second fiddle to the roasty malt.

M: Tingly carbonation, dark and roasty warmth with a light body. Nice leave on the tongue.

O: Overall would make for a good stout, nice dark malt base, hops seem to be forgotten. Wouldn’t bother with a six pack purchase here, single struggles enough to hold your attention to the end. Stout and porter fans may find this suitable as a dark easy treat to swallow, just don’t expect the hops to jump out at you.

3.05/5  rDev -11.3%

A- Nothing more than a black porter color. Had a nice head, but quickly died. Nice lacing for a while.

S- Porter smell. Very malty. No hops, but thee is a faint spice note. A tiny bit of alcohol nose is present, not much.

T- It's a porter. Not even a IPA in quality. Very malty with the faint spice that was detected in the nose.

M- Medium body. The Demo is too carbonated, and not smooth enough to make the porter flavors creamy in feel. Not really all that refreshing.

*I will not be seeking out this beer again. My brother somehow acquired a case of it, and I do thank him for it, but it's just not for me. It's not like a Black IPA at all; it's more of a porter. It's too harsh and carbonated in the mouthfeel and somewhat weak in the flavor to be something I'd want to keep around after my household is done drinking the case.*

3.06/5  rDev -11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

So another I.P.A from Magic Hat. I was eager to try this somewhat new style, a black I.P.A.
Demo poured beautifully. Deep black color with a really nice tannish head. Belgian lace draped down the inside of the glass.
Not much in aroma a little smokiness and a slight hint of hops. Where's the hops?
The mouthfeel is a bit thin for this style.

Overall a decent beer certainly not what I was expecting.

3.06/5  rDev -11%

Serving Type - Bottle

Appearance - Dark tan/brown, nice 2 inch creamy head, and some nice lacing.

Smell - Hops, some dark fruits, malts, a little smoke and coffee even. Not very strong aroma.

Taste - Dank hops, chocolate, molasses and strong mocoa coffee flavor. Moreso a porter then a plack ipa. Coffee flavor overpowers everything and knocks this out of balance somewhat.

MOuthfeel - Medium thickness, tounge gets naield with coffee and some chocolate sweetness. Palette gets more coffee, some hops and sugars. Aftertaste is bitter, roasted coffee and malts.

Overall - Out of balance, starts with some fruits and hops but gets crushed by the coffee and malts. Odd flavor profile, its not terrible but not something id want to drink again.

3.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Its a nice black. Pretty solid with a frosty off white head that does fade fast but leaves some chalky walls of lace.

Aroma of mild chocolate and lemon grass, a faint citrus hint with some grassy notes. Balanced and clean. Not much else.

Ok balance of mild chocolate, bitter cocoa, with some grassy notes. Wish there was more hops.

Ok medium body, easy drinking

Nice balance but kind of boring.

Demo from Magic Hat Brewing Company