Braggot - Magic Hat Brewing Company

BraggotBraggot

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Braggot |  6.00% ABV

An Ale Brewed with Honey Braggot is a most remarkable honey ale, made with specialty malts & wildflower honey from Vermont's Champlain Valley. The honey adds smoothness with subtle hints of chamomile. Braggot is an ale of shining perfection that simply must be experienced to be understood. But hurry ... for Braggot, as with each entry in our Humdinger series, vanishes almost as soon as it arrives. Get a bottle of Braggot today and come to know a new 'Ale of Legend'.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 10-12-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by dwarbi:
4.4/5  rDev +9.7%

What a fine looking drink! Full, fluffy white head, lots of lacing The mead bubbles up nicely and the color is a slightly warm orange/yellow. Smells of honey, of course. very pleasant. Tastes great. A very smooth mead. Feel fantastic on the tongue, too. No problem finishing this and I'll be looking for more.

dwarbi, Jul 16, 2003
3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

Maybe it's because it was my first Braggot, but I was disappointed by this selection. Tthere was so much carbonation that it was difficult to pour 4 glasses. No matter how slow I poured, it still wanted to foam over, and the head never seemd to settle. The color was a faint golden, almost yellow, like a pilsner. The feel was all bubbles, almost like a champagne. The aroma was also similar to champagne. I expected the honey flavor to be a bit stronger, but there was just a faint hint. I'd like to try it again, but there are other beers I can try for a much lower price.

far333, Jan 25, 2003
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Magic Hat- Braggot

A- Bright yellow/ orange with a good frothy head. Big ringed lacing left down my glass.
S- Sweet sugary honey malt with a touch of alc.
T- White cane sugar, honey, lemon, orange rind, and a touch of sweet grainy malt.
M- Very sweet with an alc. presence and a dry finish.

Overall- Unique but quite good and sessionable for sure.

NJpadreFan, Feb 27, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a hazy yellow-gold body that's topped by a huge and frothy bright white head. It holds extremely well, buoyed by a champagne-like carbonation, and it even leaves some spotty lace! Very nice. The aroma offers lightly floral honey and alcohol. It's mildly sweet, clean and enjoyable - and softer than most straight-forward meads. The body is light and the carbonation is quite crisp. It tickles the tongue before foaming up as it warms in the mouth. It's not creamy, but more like cotton candy - definitely an interesting mouthfeel! The flavor is quite one-sided, but offers a very nice, lightly sweet honey & mildly floral character with the Magic Hat house flavor surprisingly intact! It finishes with some sticky sweetness, a touch of lemon rind, and a splash of alcohol. A nice change of pace from a standard sparkling mead (or sparkling white wine) although the lighter and less-sweet character allows the alcohol to show more fully. If you're not a fan of meads, however, you'll probably do better elsewhere.

NeroFiddled, Dec 06, 2002
4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Cask-conditioned at The Brazen Head's cask festival (Brooklyn, NY).

Hazy amber, minimal head (on gravity dispense straight from the cask). Flowery, perfumed aroma. The pleasant flavour was bittersweet, with honey and chamomile at the fore. Slight buttery texture, not a detraction though. Semi-sweet, long, pleasurable finish. A very enjoyable, distinctive beer that tastes better than it looks. Outstanding in fact, easy drinking, flavoursome and unusual - a beer I could drink all weekend. And I did...

Imbiber, Oct 25, 2004
4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Golden-Amber and very cloudy.
S: Floral and slightly sweet.
T: At first, it's almost overwhelmingly fruity, but this recedes into a more drinkable maltiness. Sweetness lingers all the way through, but isn't cloying.
M: Thick and rich, but not syrupy. Extremely satisfying in this regard.
D: Had this from the tap at Spuyten Duyvil in a 20 oz. glass. It tends to fill you up quickly. Another glass might've been a little too sweet.

Overall, a really nice beer.

Surlington, Aug 28, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a beautiful golden color with a constant effervescence and a huge, overflowing, rocky, white head that sticks around. Big sweet honey nose with a bit of a dry vinous aroma mixed with some light orange and orange zest. A nice sweet honey flavor from beginning to end with soft fruity undertones of peach and orange and just a bit of spiciness thrown in. For all the carbonation in the brew itself there is surprisingly little on the tongue. Slightly cloying sweetness from the massive honey flavors. The lighter flavors of this brew give it a nice refreshingly crisp property that would make it very nice for warmer weather drinking. This is one massively drinkable brew that is rather tasty. I hope that they offer this one again. As a disclaimer I don't know too much about meads and braggots but I do know that this was damn tasty.

Murph, Mar 27, 2003
3.45/5  rDev -14%

Hmmmm. interesting change of pace here. This is my first braggot, and I think it fulfilled my expectations... which frankly were not that high. I expected it to have a delicately honeyed nose, and it did; I expected it to taste strongly of honey with floral and grassy undertones, and it did; I expected it to have a thin mouthfeel, and it did. I think on cask, this was especially thin, and I would like to try the bottled version some day. I suspect it would be much better. Overall an OK beer, but I'm pretty sure I would not want it on cask again.

bultrey, Oct 25, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +8%

Upon opening this 12 oz bottle, the cap reads: "You're a winner! go to: www.magichat.net/winner"
The website tells me to mail the cap in for a free bottle opener. I have a key chain bottle opener, but this is the bar quality kind, so I will send my cap in. I will also do my best not to allow this to create a biased review.

This Braggot pours a slightly cloudy peachy amber body below a big two finger white head that slowly pops emitting aromas of honey, ginger, and fruit.

The taste is slightly sweet but with a funky thing that is probably that MH ringwood yeast. The honey flavor is there, but not real sweet. A slight spice character of the ginger keeps things interesting. The finish is somewhat dry with a clover honey flavor left upon the tongue which asks for another sip.

The mouthfeel is lighter than medium with light carbonation.

Overall this is worth a try if you can find it. I am not sure what a braggot is supposed to be, but this is surely drinkable and tasty.

This drink would go well late a night while reading a fiction. If paired with food, I would recommend sushi.

rtratzlaff, Oct 21, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a golden yellow from the bottle with a short and thin white head. It has a small aroma kind of like vine fruit and some honey. The taste is really interesting as this is my first braggot. It tastes like fruit and honey which is actually really nice. It has a nice mouthfeel - very smooth and is pretty drinkable. I liked it, but again, it's my first taste of a beer of this kind and I will definately try more braggot's because of this one.

erosier, Feb 20, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -12%

Ok, Straw in color with a lot of carbonation. I didn’t have as hard of time with it as most. I popped it open and it did gush some. I was pouring into two pint glasses and managed the foam quite well. Not any more than you would get out of a good weisse beer. It had a good dry honey nose to it and just a little malt. The flavor was nice, big on the honey but rather lacking in the malt department. A slight hop bitterness at the end along with the acidity that some from fermenting honey that dry. The flavor followed through like the aroma big honey, little malt. I have had more than my fair share of braggots and meads in my day and I think they didn’t give this enough malt. Sure they were trying to make something that was different than beer but I think they sacrificed the malt side to do so. Maybe a little crystal or Belgian special B would have been nice to increase the richness and help off set the acidity. They also needed to ferment this thing longer before it hit the bottle. It was over carbonated but that comes from fermenting honey with an ale yeast. Over time ale yeast will eat every last molecule honey given the chance. I have made braggots that were still for the first six months but after 3 to 5 years are gushers. All in all not bad, Lars and I did enjoy the whole thing but it is more mead like than beer like, hell it is more mead like than braggot like.

mattmaples, Jan 15, 2003
3.73/5  rDev -7%

Ominously dense, fluffy white head. Perfect retention. The head is the epitomy of "sticky" Slight haze. Effervescent, copious bubbling. Slightly unripe pear and kiwi in aroma, along with hints of chalkiness and flinty mineraliness. Not unlike a dry white wine in aroma. Floral honey sweetness upfront yields to tarter unripe fruit and green apple acetaldehyde. Light on the palate, somewhat spritzy, but with a creaminess provided by the malt. Finishes w/ a snap of sweetness, then light, cidery tartness lingers. Crisp, light and tasty. Quaffable. Magic Hat's Braggot is reminescent of a dry Reisling / Beligan pale hybrid. Unique. Thanks to Murph for splitting the bottle!

marc77, Dec 23, 2002
4.05/5  rDev +1%

From the Artifactory. 2008-01-25. Mini-growler.

The braggot has been different in the past, but in the fall/winter of 2007/2008, this is a honey beer with chamomile.

Pours: Mostly-clear rich gold. Thin white head recedes quickly, levaing minor machine on the glass and a small island on the top. Almost no apparent carbonation.

Smells: Sweet but not strong honey. Clear floral character. Like a characteristic spring day (but in the middle of winter).

Taste: Sweet residual honey, with chamomile. Some minor sour note. Residual honey in the corners of the mouth. Clean and crisp.

Mouthfeel: Good. While not watery or thin, also not at all heavy, which is novel for such a strong honey flavor.

Drinkability: Very high. Quite tasty.

jsled, Jan 26, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

25ozer from Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA. Excellent shelf presentation, with hang tag, black foil, caged cork on a dark greenish bottle. Cork is covered with the Magic Hat star/crescent insignias.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, impressive thick white head immediately formed on top of the (no surprise) honey-colored liquid. Great honey aroma, initial tart flavor reminiscent of a lambic, which is almost instantly quelled by the blast of honey taste. Seems like the mouthfeel could use a bit more substance, feels a bit thin. An interesting brew, but it seems a bit pricey, Probably would not enjoy again except at a tasting or with friends.

ppoitras, Feb 15, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -12%

Pale amber and bright white head. Aroma is mainly honey, hints of orange fruit and flowers. Flavor makes me think of sopapillas with the fried bread, honey, butter and cinamon. Nice dry malt in support of honey. Not too sweet, but sweetness builds as it warms. It's best when it's chilled, but not ice cold and before it warms up too much. Clean finish.

aracauna, Jan 07, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +8%

Cask-conditioned from the Cask Head Fest at Brazen Head (Brooklyn, NY)

The color was a cloudy golden-yellow with a very sweet, cloying honey nose. The mouthfeel is thick, almost syrupy, and the honey is wildly evident. It is on the finish that the wildflowers (chamomile) and spices really present themselves. I can easily envision this as yet another alternative to a hefeweizen on a hot summer's day.

woodychandler, Dec 30, 2004
3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

Well I must admit. This is one of the hardest beers I have had to review. I was so excited to try this beer, mainly because I am a HUGE fan of honey. In the course of the 35 minutes it took me to consume the 25 oz. bottle, it took many different forms. I was expecting a nice sweet smelling honey scent. No such luck. There is not much of a smell. A bit yeasty if anything. As I poured, the head just exploded, much like champagne. After sipping all of the foam, I got to the beer. I had it rather chilled which I would not recommend. This beer is best a bit warm. It really brings out the flavor. As it sat it became better. I must add that I also would not drink this with food. It needs to be enjoyed by itself. The color is of honey, cloudy amber with sediment that quickly sinks. Many bubbles as well. Towards the end it became a bit too warm and became much too sweet. So overall, the taste went from an initial champagne like quality to a syrupy ale. The best taste was somewhere in the middle. It has a very complex honey aftertaste. It also has a very wheat-like taste (like a hefe-weizen). While I enjoyed this beer, I feel it may be best to drink a champagne flute of it with friends rather than a pint glass. It is much too sweet and special to drink as a normal beer.

Jdiddy, Oct 25, 2002
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Now I know why the cork is nailed down. The carbonation is off the scale, took nearly 1/2 hour to pour two glasses from the 750ml bottle. I had the beer at 52°, maybe it should have been below freezing to pour and then warm up to get the honey nose and slight honey after taste. This is a good braggot but there are better out there with higher ABVs and for $9.99 it is pricey. Wierd shaped black/O.D bottle that forces more foam than anyone needs.

jdhilt, Dec 29, 2002
4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

I searched everywhere last year for the Magic Hat Braggot and never found a bottle. This year I was lucky enough to find 2 bottles at my local liquor store. It was definitely worth the wait.

The "beer" pours a hazy honey yellow color with some orange hues mixed in. A fizzy white head quickly dissolved to a thin sheet on the surface. The aroma was a pleasant combination of apples, honey, and flowers (rose?). It almost reminded me of a white wine.

This smooth, medium bodied beer is packed with flavor. It begins with a fruity apple flavor with hints of nutmeg mixed in. Honey holds the tastes together and it finishes with a slightly sour grape flavor. A mildly sour aftertaste remains behind. The 6% alcohol is hidden very well.

Since this was my first braggot I don't have anything to compare it too. All I can say is that it is a wonderful drink that reminds me more of a wine than a beer.

WanderingFool, Oct 26, 2003
4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

This is my first bottle of the 2003 Braggot, and I must say I was initially a bit skeptical considering last years super fizzy (albeit good) offering and this year's price hike (I paid $12.99). However, I must say I think they made some good improvements. This year's braggot poured out a nice hazy gold color, with only minimal white head , much easier to pour. Aroma is very sweet and a nice blend of flowery honey, a little bit of tart citrus, and some yeast/malt character. Flavor is excellent an dsurprisingly complex, tasing first very sweet and a little malty, then developing a very noticeable flowery honey flavor, and finally leaving just hints of spice on the back of the tongue. Goes down very smooth and tasty, very drinkable. Just wish it was a tad bit on the more affordable side. Even if it is a Humdinger that Magic Hat brewed last year as well, I'd say this year's version is a different animal so to speak, and a better one.

mikeys01, Oct 30, 2003
3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

I'm not sure what everyone else is talking about with the overfoaming. Not ten minutes after the bottle tok a bumpy backroad drive with me, I opened my bottle and poured two perfect glasses of this hazey golden brew with a beautiful two inch white head. Mouthfeel is not quite where I'd like it to be; goes down kind of choppy. The honey is strong with this one. Flavors more complex than I expected. I may be a bit bias against a style so sweet, but I don't hate this. Certainly worth a taste.

scottum, Oct 22, 2003
4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

This was my first braggot. I wasn't sure what to expect.

At first this beer poured an almost uncontrollable foamy head. Litterally nothing but head no matter how you tried to pour it. After a few minutes it started to pour a little easier. But... the head was a lovely bright white. The body was a very clear, almost bud like, yellow with a huge amount of carbonated bubbles rising up through.

The nose was interesting to say the least. A combination of your typical beer smell, fruit, some yeast, apples, pears, honey, a touch of alcohol, barley.

The taste was simply amazing. The best way I can describe it is honey champagne. Huge levels of a fine carbonation. Very light and easy drinking. So very smooth. Almost watery. You can barely taste the alcohol. Tart and sweet. A honey flavored lambic light if you will. Some other soft fruit flavors. A touch of hops, even a little pepper. Not much taste of malt at all.

Overall I was really taken back and impressed by this beer. It's like a honey flavored belgian triple/mead/lambic/champagne. At $15+ a bottle I think I'd save this for special occasions only. It'd be a great alternative to champagne.

taez555, Sep 29, 2003
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Broke this out last evening for the New Years festivities and shared it with some friends. The brew has been sitting around in a controlled environment but was not sure what to expect, as the ABV is middle of the road. After having some trouble getting the cork out we where able to enjoy this one. It poured to a cloudy yellow color with an orange tint, nice sized white head that did not have the greatest retention but did leave some lacing around the top of our glasses. The aroma was quite solid, with sweetness to it from the honey. The brew had a fair amount of carbonation going on as we had a lot of bubbles traveling up the sides of the glass. The taste is was very reminiscent of the aroma as the honey taste, which was not over the top, was the first thing that I noticed mixed in with some fruit like flavors along with a floral taste. Over all I really liked this brew and glad to have brought it out on New Years.

Stimack, Jan 01, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a nice golden straw color with a bit of head and just a bit of lacing. Nice scent, a nice light maltiness with a good honey hit and a slight spiciness to it, like a saisson. Good taste, a decent amount of honey with a nice ale taste, spiced enough to be good without going overboard, just enough hops to balance it out a little. Goes down fine, if not great.

JamesS, Jan 10, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +3%

Pours a hazy opaque orange, pillowy white head.
Sweet honey nose, very pleasant, grassy.
Floral bouquet, sugar cookies in the taste and a superb honey base, note of pear. Reminds me of German wine.
Medium-full feel. I would definitely pick this one up again.

mschofield, May 21, 2004