Braggot - Magic Hat Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Braggot |  6.00% ABV

An Ale Brewed with Honey Braggot is a most remarkable honey ale, made with specialty malts & wildflower honey from Vermont's Champlain Valley. The honey adds smoothness with subtle hints of chamomile. Braggot is an ale of shining perfection that simply must be experienced to be understood. But hurry ... for Braggot, as with each entry in our Humdinger series, vanishes almost as soon as it arrives. Get a bottle of Braggot today and come to know a new 'Ale of Legend'.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 10-12-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.28/5  rDev -18%

Maybe it's because it was my first Braggot, but I was disappointed by this selection. Tthere was so much carbonation that it was difficult to pour 4 glasses. No matter how slow I poured, it still wanted to foam over, and the head never seemd to settle. The color was a faint golden, almost yellow, like a pilsner. The feel was all bubbles, almost like a champagne. The aroma was also similar to champagne. I expected the honey flavor to be a bit stronger, but there was just a faint hint. I'd like to try it again, but there are other beers I can try for a much lower price.

3.28/5  rDev -18%

Well I must admit. This is one of the hardest beers I have had to review. I was so excited to try this beer, mainly because I am a HUGE fan of honey. In the course of the 35 minutes it took me to consume the 25 oz. bottle, it took many different forms. I was expecting a nice sweet smelling honey scent. No such luck. There is not much of a smell. A bit yeasty if anything. As I poured, the head just exploded, much like champagne. After sipping all of the foam, I got to the beer. I had it rather chilled which I would not recommend. This beer is best a bit warm. It really brings out the flavor. As it sat it became better. I must add that I also would not drink this with food. It needs to be enjoyed by itself. The color is of honey, cloudy amber with sediment that quickly sinks. Many bubbles as well. Towards the end it became a bit too warm and became much too sweet. So overall, the taste went from an initial champagne like quality to a syrupy ale. The best taste was somewhere in the middle. It has a very complex honey aftertaste. It also has a very wheat-like taste (like a hefe-weizen). While I enjoyed this beer, I feel it may be best to drink a champagne flute of it with friends rather than a pint glass. It is much too sweet and special to drink as a normal beer.

3.45/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hmmmm. interesting change of pace here. This is my first braggot, and I think it fulfilled my expectations... which frankly were not that high. I expected it to have a delicately honeyed nose, and it did; I expected it to taste strongly of honey with floral and grassy undertones, and it did; I expected it to have a thin mouthfeel, and it did. I think on cask, this was especially thin, and I would like to try the bottled version some day. I suspect it would be much better. Overall an OK beer, but I'm pretty sure I would not want it on cask again.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%

Ok, Straw in color with a lot of carbonation. I didn’t have as hard of time with it as most. I popped it open and it did gush some. I was pouring into two pint glasses and managed the foam quite well. Not any more than you would get out of a good weisse beer. It had a good dry honey nose to it and just a little malt. The flavor was nice, big on the honey but rather lacking in the malt department. A slight hop bitterness at the end along with the acidity that some from fermenting honey that dry. The flavor followed through like the aroma big honey, little malt. I have had more than my fair share of braggots and meads in my day and I think they didn’t give this enough malt. Sure they were trying to make something that was different than beer but I think they sacrificed the malt side to do so. Maybe a little crystal or Belgian special B would have been nice to increase the richness and help off set the acidity. They also needed to ferment this thing longer before it hit the bottle. It was over carbonated but that comes from fermenting honey with an ale yeast. Over time ale yeast will eat every last molecule honey given the chance. I have made braggots that were still for the first six months but after 3 to 5 years are gushers. All in all not bad, Lars and I did enjoy the whole thing but it is more mead like than beer like, hell it is more mead like than braggot like.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale amber and bright white head. Aroma is mainly honey, hints of orange fruit and flowers. Flavor makes me think of sopapillas with the fried bread, honey, butter and cinamon. Nice dry malt in support of honey. Not too sweet, but sweetness builds as it warms. It's best when it's chilled, but not ice cold and before it warms up too much. Clean finish.

3.55/5  rDev -11.3%

Like most everything from Magic Hat, this braggot is funky. Served in a frosted black corked bottle, it pours with a very clear light amber body, excellent clarity, and light bubbling with almost no head. Looks like champagne, in fact. A clear honey aroma presides over the smell, with a slight sour note to balance the sweetness. The honey flavor also dominates the taste, with some very subtle background flavors of hops and malt (although a bit more malt might really help). The mouthfeel is a bit sharp, mostly due to the strong carbonation.

A respectable mead.

3.63/5  rDev -9.3%

Nice black bottle. I was expecting a valcano of head to pour out the bottle but that did not happen. I chilled the bottle in the snow for about 20 minutes. This brew pours a light golden color, with a white fluffy head that last the duration, leaving a silky lace behind. The smell of honey is light and nice, I am a mead fan so this was nice. The first reveals a strong carbonation that sting my tongue "ouch". Honey is strong to the palate, with little to no hop flavor. The finish leaves honey in your mouth for a long period of time, that is what I did not like.

Cheers

3.65/5  rDev -8.8%

750ml bottle courtesy of ppoitras.
Pours a golden honey color with a bright white, loosly bubbled head that disapates very quickly...no lacing either.
Smell is floral, a bit of honey (obviously), some yeasty character, and a bunch of ripe fruits. A little musty.
Taste is very wine-like, very dry and not nearly as sweet as I was expecting, massive honey flavors, flower petals, fruitiness (pears, apples, grapes), and just a bit of musty yeast characteristic. Hops are present, but very much in the back ground. A little wheat seems to be present as well, as this has a bit of a tart bite to it.
Mouthfeel is good, not that sweet and just enough carbonation to balance it out.
Overall, this isn't what I was expecting, but still interesting. Worth a try, but not something I could buy consistently.

3.73/5  rDev -6.8%

Ominously dense, fluffy white head. Perfect retention. The head is the epitomy of "sticky" Slight haze. Effervescent, copious bubbling. Slightly unripe pear and kiwi in aroma, along with hints of chalkiness and flinty mineraliness. Not unlike a dry white wine in aroma. Floral honey sweetness upfront yields to tarter unripe fruit and green apple acetaldehyde. Light on the palate, somewhat spritzy, but with a creaminess provided by the malt. Finishes w/ a snap of sweetness, then light, cidery tartness lingers. Crisp, light and tasty. Quaffable. Magic Hat's Braggot is reminescent of a dry Reisling / Beligan pale hybrid. Unique. Thanks to Murph for splitting the bottle!

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Now I know why the cork is nailed down. The carbonation is off the scale, took nearly 1/2 hour to pour two glasses from the 750ml bottle. I had the beer at 52°, maybe it should have been below freezing to pour and then warm up to get the honey nose and slight honey after taste. This is a good braggot but there are better out there with higher ABVs and for $9.99 it is pricey. Wierd shaped black/O.D bottle that forces more foam than anyone needs.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not sure what everyone else is talking about with the overfoaming. Not ten minutes after the bottle tok a bumpy backroad drive with me, I opened my bottle and poured two perfect glasses of this hazey golden brew with a beautiful two inch white head. Mouthfeel is not quite where I'd like it to be; goes down kind of choppy. The honey is strong with this one. Flavors more complex than I expected. I may be a bit bias against a style so sweet, but I don't hate this. Certainly worth a taste.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

32oz growler from the brewery. I don't think the top was screwed on tightly enough because it was 100% flat.

A: Bright golden body with no head whatsoever.

S: The aroma is nice and light. There is obviously honey and a winey character. I think I get some cantelope and spice in there also.

T: There is a bunch of fruit in the flavor. On top of the honey, I get a lot of apple and some cherry. I really wish there was more carbonation so the flavors could stand out more. There is a bit of tartness in the aftertaste.

M: The best mouthfeel I experienced in a flat beer, honestly. It is light bodied and pretty damn good for the flavor profile. In the end though, it is flat.

D: This would be a good desert beer but not a daily drinker.

Magic Hat- Braggot

A- Bright yellow/ orange with a good frothy head. Big ringed lacing left down my glass.
S- Sweet sugary honey malt with a touch of alc.
T- White cane sugar, honey, lemon, orange rind, and a touch of sweet grainy malt.
M- Very sweet with an alc. presence and a dry finish.

Overall- Unique but quite good and sessionable for sure.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

Pours a golden yellow from the bottle with a short and thin white head. It has a small aroma kind of like vine fruit and some honey. The taste is really interesting as this is my first braggot. It tastes like fruit and honey which is actually really nice. It has a nice mouthfeel - very smooth and is pretty drinkable. I liked it, but again, it's my first taste of a beer of this kind and I will definately try more braggot's because of this one.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

2002 edition , which came w/ a MH lighter/ opener that broke in two on it's first bottle. Damn thing coulda blown my hand off!
Sparkling, golden color with a tall bright white, foamy head that collapses quickly to a fine film. Carbonation is sparse but steady, slowly churning suspended yeast floaties and bits of cork which detracts from this pretty glass of liquid gold.
Aromas of Mead and apples ( whats that called?) - very clean with a faint yeasty note.
Flavors of tart apples and more honey on toast mixed w/ grassy hop and simmering alcohol. This seems to get better as it sits, even tho it was opened at room temp.
Mouthfeel is fuzzy and fairly light and Chablis-like with a slightly harsh lemony tartness on the tongue. Finish is very dry and warm.
I've had better Braggots from homebrewers but this is still an interesting example to try if you find it.

3.9/5  rDev -2.5%

2003 release, weirdly shaped 750ml bottle that is corked and caged. Pours a dark honey colour with a minimal head of white foam, this bottle is definately not a gusher! The aromas consists of honey and pie crust. Where are the hops, where are the malts? The taste is more of the same....a light, crisp honey sweetness as well as some spiciness. The mouthfeel is too light, carbonated, and fluffy for my tastes as well. The drinkability is nice, but for $15 a bottle, this should and could be better!

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a hazy yellow-gold body that's topped by a huge and frothy bright white head. It holds extremely well, buoyed by a champagne-like carbonation, and it even leaves some spotty lace! Very nice. The aroma offers lightly floral honey and alcohol. It's mildly sweet, clean and enjoyable - and softer than most straight-forward meads. The body is light and the carbonation is quite crisp. It tickles the tongue before foaming up as it warms in the mouth. It's not creamy, but more like cotton candy - definitely an interesting mouthfeel! The flavor is quite one-sided, but offers a very nice, lightly sweet honey & mildly floral character with the Magic Hat house flavor surprisingly intact! It finishes with some sticky sweetness, a touch of lemon rind, and a splash of alcohol. A nice change of pace from a standard sparkling mead (or sparkling white wine) although the lighter and less-sweet character allows the alcohol to show more fully. If you're not a fan of meads, however, you'll probably do better elsewhere.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Broke this out last evening for the New Years festivities and shared it with some friends. The brew has been sitting around in a controlled environment but was not sure what to expect, as the ABV is middle of the road. After having some trouble getting the cork out we where able to enjoy this one. It poured to a cloudy yellow color with an orange tint, nice sized white head that did not have the greatest retention but did leave some lacing around the top of our glasses. The aroma was quite solid, with sweetness to it from the honey. The brew had a fair amount of carbonation going on as we had a lot of bubbles traveling up the sides of the glass. The taste is was very reminiscent of the aroma as the honey taste, which was not over the top, was the first thing that I noticed mixed in with some fruit like flavors along with a floral taste. Over all I really liked this brew and glad to have brought it out on New Years.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Poured a nice golden straw color with a bit of head and just a bit of lacing. Nice scent, a nice light maltiness with a good honey hit and a slight spiciness to it, like a saisson. Good taste, a decent amount of honey with a nice ale taste, spiced enough to be good without going overboard, just enough hops to balance it out a little. Goes down fine, if not great.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Fall 2003 release, 750 ml bottle, corked & caged.

Medium gold, clear. Brisk carbonation moves through the liquid. Dense white head quickly recedes to a thin 1/4".

Intriguing aroma. Floral, spicy, lemons, & of course honey.

Sweet & a little bit grainy up front. Some pleasant fruit flavours move in & out. More honey! Crisp and dry with some mild hop flavours & a touch of spice. Chamomile tea lingers. Medium bodied. Carbonation has quickly settled in to a moderate level.

Nice, but not worth the $15/bottle price tag.

3.95/5  rDev -1.3%

My first Braggot! Very exciting. Comes in a unique corked 1pt. 9 fl. oz. bottle that looks black when full, but is actually green when empty. This bottle is the same as the Thumbsucker bottle, except the label is attached, not painted on. WARNING! You need a freaking corkscrew to get the cork out, even though it is a champagne cork!

This beer is quite unique. Pours a (you guessed it) honey yellow color, hazy. Head is moderate, light and fluffy, but disperses quickly, leaving only a light residue. Smell is of honey above all, with perhaps a hint of hoppy goodness.

Taste is quite decent. I expected a overpowering sweet honey taste, instead the taste of honey merges rather well with the sweetness of the malt. Fairly carbonated. Hoppyness is only detectable in the aftertaste, not on the initial taste.

Overall, a fair beer to try from one of my favorite brewers. But at $10 a bottle, this is probably only for the beer enthusiast, and even then, probably only worth it once. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25ozer from Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA. Excellent shelf presentation, with hang tag, black foil, caged cork on a dark greenish bottle. Cork is covered with the Magic Hat star/crescent insignias.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, impressive thick white head immediately formed on top of the (no surprise) honey-colored liquid. Great honey aroma, initial tart flavor reminiscent of a lambic, which is almost instantly quelled by the blast of honey taste. Seems like the mouthfeel could use a bit more substance, feels a bit thin. An interesting brew, but it seems a bit pricey, Probably would not enjoy again except at a tasting or with friends.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

The beer pours a hazy orangey gold, topped with a huge, pure white froth. The head settles into a thick haze of mist, keeping throughout the glass, leaving a thick spatter of lace clinging to the glass all the way down. Very impressive. Loads of carbonation bubbles rapidly race up to feed the head.
The aroma is thick with a pure clover honey sweetness, like one of those facy honeys you can buy that're still in the comb. Sweetish malt plays a supporting role, with a hint of apple esters. A distinct clover-like floral feel is present, adding to the summery, happy honeyed scent.
The flavor is rather surprising, quite a departure from last year's version. A very light, fluffy maltiness starts off the sip, noticable wheat, the body exceptionally light, with a high level of carbonation adding a briskness throughout. A bit watery in the middle, with a bit of crab apple and a minerally taste. The finish is very long, and the honey flavor really comes through here. Dominated by a clover honey taste, it's really not sweet at all. Kind of like a white wine, with a considerable dryness in the finish. A floral flavor comes through, like actual flowers, rather than a hoppy floral flavor. I can't detect any hops at all. A touch of wheat sourness in the finish, with a bit of yeast. ot much in the way of aftertaste, only a light, lingering honey flavor.
The cork was exceptionally difficult to remove, as opposed to last year, where it practically fell out. The noticable difference in carbonation adds so much to the beer. I thought it was more of a strange, muddy belgian style last year, and this time around it's something completely different. Much more mead-like, unlike anything I've had before. My hat's off for this one.

4/5  rDev 0%

I just had to give this beer a try, even though I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers or mead. It poured a light orange with a little haze, and a pleasant head. The aroma was of sweet honey and grass. The flavors were a bit more complex, but rather mild. The honey almost balanced the domestic "wheat beer" taste. There was little hop character, but the brew was light, dry and refreshing. I'd drink it again, but probably wouldn't pursue it other than to see how it ages.

4/5  rDev 0%