1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Braggot - Magic Hat Brewing Company

BraggotBraggot

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Braggot |  6.00% ABV

An Ale Brewed with Honey Braggot is a most remarkable honey ale, made with specialty malts & wildflower honey from Vermont's Champlain Valley. The honey adds smoothness with subtle hints of chamomile. Braggot is an ale of shining perfection that simply must be experienced to be understood. But hurry ... for Braggot, as with each entry in our Humdinger series, vanishes almost as soon as it arrives. Get a bottle of Braggot today and come to know a new 'Ale of Legend'.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 10-12-2002)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 46 | Reviews: 43 | Show All Ratings:
JamesS

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured a nice golden straw color with a bit of head and just a bit of lacing. Nice scent, a nice light maltiness with a good honey hit and a slight spiciness to it, like a saisson. Good taste, a decent amount of honey with a nice ale taste, spiced enough to be good without going overboard, just enough hops to balance it out a little. Goes down fine, if not great.

01-10-2009 19:31:47 | More by JamesS
Hojaminbag

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

I've tried this beer a few times but never got around to reviewing it, I've always had a positive experience so far though.e

Golden reddish body with a small off-white head that disapates quickly.

Smells like honey and some herbs, a little bit of maltiness.

Tasty. Lots of honey flavor with some malt in the background. Herbs come in next. The things that I seem to notice are lavender and chamomile, but there's a pretty damn good chance I'm wrong. Leaves a sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is really interesting. While the beer is in your mouth it is medium bodied and well-carbonated, but as you swallow it coats your mouth with a sticky oily texture. Pretty interesting.

Fairly drinkable brew, something I'm glad I sought out for another tatse.

10-23-2008 01:12:30 | More by Hojaminbag
rtratzlaff

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Upon opening this 12 oz bottle, the cap reads: "You're a winner! go to: www.magichat.net/winner"
The website tells me to mail the cap in for a free bottle opener. I have a key chain bottle opener, but this is the bar quality kind, so I will send my cap in. I will also do my best not to allow this to create a biased review.

This Braggot pours a slightly cloudy peachy amber body below a big two finger white head that slowly pops emitting aromas of honey, ginger, and fruit.

The taste is slightly sweet but with a funky thing that is probably that MH ringwood yeast. The honey flavor is there, but not real sweet. A slight spice character of the ginger keeps things interesting. The finish is somewhat dry with a clover honey flavor left upon the tongue which asks for another sip.

The mouthfeel is lighter than medium with light carbonation.

Overall this is worth a try if you can find it. I am not sure what a braggot is supposed to be, but this is surely drinkable and tasty.

This drink would go well late a night while reading a fiction. If paired with food, I would recommend sushi.

10-21-2008 20:02:40 | More by rtratzlaff
erosier

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a golden yellow from the bottle with a short and thin white head. It has a small aroma kind of like vine fruit and some honey. The taste is really interesting as this is my first braggot. It tastes like fruit and honey which is actually really nice. It has a nice mouthfeel - very smooth and is pretty drinkable. I liked it, but again, it's my first taste of a beer of this kind and I will definately try more braggot's because of this one.

02-20-2008 00:29:31 | More by erosier
Stimack

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Broke this out last evening for the New Years festivities and shared it with some friends. The brew has been sitting around in a controlled environment but was not sure what to expect, as the ABV is middle of the road. After having some trouble getting the cork out we where able to enjoy this one. It poured to a cloudy yellow color with an orange tint, nice sized white head that did not have the greatest retention but did leave some lacing around the top of our glasses. The aroma was quite solid, with sweetness to it from the honey. The brew had a fair amount of carbonation going on as we had a lot of bubbles traveling up the sides of the glass. The taste is was very reminiscent of the aroma as the honey taste, which was not over the top, was the first thing that I noticed mixed in with some fruit like flavors along with a floral taste. Over all I really liked this brew and glad to have brought it out on New Years.

01-01-2007 16:11:55 | More by Stimack
jamie2dope

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

I had this beer sitting in my basement for a while, and since its not such a strong beer, I figured it would be better to open it sooner rather then later. Poured into a small Cisco Brewers sampler glass a dark orange honey color, with not much head. Smell was great...loads of earth tones, some wild flowers, honey. Taste was even better, there was a nice chamomile presence, accompanied by the floral taste to it. It also had a good bit of spice going on, almost making the beer seem tea like in flavor. This beer was very light on the palate, almost to the point of being watery, however it really took nothing away from the quality. As far as I am concerned, if it had been big and thick, it just would not have been as interesting. The alcohol is also very well hidden...left me with a little buzz to be honest. When it comes to drinking this beer, I suggest really sipping and savoring this beer with friends...let it show itself and all its flavors for what they are: delicious.This beer for me is evidence that Magic Hat hasn't lost their stuff. I haven't been impressed with their more recent beers, but this one certainly is a bullseye for creative beer making. If you happen to see this beer at the store or at the brewery, do not hesitate to pick it up. You won't be sorry

08-07-2006 04:01:14 | More by jamie2dope
LuckySevens82

3.65/5  rDev -9%

750ml bottle courtesy of ppoitras.
Pours a golden honey color with a bright white, loosly bubbled head that disapates very quickly...no lacing either.
Smell is floral, a bit of honey (obviously), some yeasty character, and a bunch of ripe fruits. A little musty.
Taste is very wine-like, very dry and not nearly as sweet as I was expecting, massive honey flavors, flower petals, fruitiness (pears, apples, grapes), and just a bit of musty yeast characteristic. Hops are present, but very much in the back ground. A little wheat seems to be present as well, as this has a bit of a tart bite to it.
Mouthfeel is good, not that sweet and just enough carbonation to balance it out.
Overall, this isn't what I was expecting, but still interesting. Worth a try, but not something I could buy consistently.

05-21-2005 00:41:22 | More by LuckySevens82
RocketWidget

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

My first Braggot! Very exciting. Comes in a unique corked 1pt. 9 fl. oz. bottle that looks black when full, but is actually green when empty. This bottle is the same as the Thumbsucker bottle, except the label is attached, not painted on. WARNING! You need a freaking corkscrew to get the cork out, even though it is a champagne cork!

This beer is quite unique. Pours a (you guessed it) honey yellow color, hazy. Head is moderate, light and fluffy, but disperses quickly, leaving only a light residue. Smell is of honey above all, with perhaps a hint of hoppy goodness.

Taste is quite decent. I expected a overpowering sweet honey taste, instead the taste of honey merges rather well with the sweetness of the malt. Fairly carbonated. Hoppyness is only detectable in the aftertaste, not on the initial taste.

Overall, a fair beer to try from one of my favorite brewers. But at $10 a bottle, this is probably only for the beer enthusiast, and even then, probably only worth it once. Cheers!

06-14-2004 17:49:11 | More by RocketWidget
mschofield

4.13/5  rDev +3%

Pours a hazy opaque orange, pillowy white head.
Sweet honey nose, very pleasant, grassy.
Floral bouquet, sugar cookies in the taste and a superb honey base, note of pear. Reminds me of German wine.
Medium-full feel. I would definitely pick this one up again.

05-21-2004 16:02:55 | More by mschofield
AllThingsNinja

I just had to give this beer a try, even though I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers or mead. It poured a light orange with a little haze, and a pleasant head. The aroma was of sweet honey and grass. The flavors were a bit more complex, but rather mild. The honey almost balanced the domestic "wheat beer" taste. There was little hop character, but the brew was light, dry and refreshing. I'd drink it again, but probably wouldn't pursue it other than to see how it ages.

03-18-2004 15:53:03 | More by AllThingsNinja
UnionMade

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%

The beer pours a hazy orangey gold, topped with a huge, pure white froth. The head settles into a thick haze of mist, keeping throughout the glass, leaving a thick spatter of lace clinging to the glass all the way down. Very impressive. Loads of carbonation bubbles rapidly race up to feed the head.
The aroma is thick with a pure clover honey sweetness, like one of those facy honeys you can buy that're still in the comb. Sweetish malt plays a supporting role, with a hint of apple esters. A distinct clover-like floral feel is present, adding to the summery, happy honeyed scent.
The flavor is rather surprising, quite a departure from last year's version. A very light, fluffy maltiness starts off the sip, noticable wheat, the body exceptionally light, with a high level of carbonation adding a briskness throughout. A bit watery in the middle, with a bit of crab apple and a minerally taste. The finish is very long, and the honey flavor really comes through here. Dominated by a clover honey taste, it's really not sweet at all. Kind of like a white wine, with a considerable dryness in the finish. A floral flavor comes through, like actual flowers, rather than a hoppy floral flavor. I can't detect any hops at all. A touch of wheat sourness in the finish, with a bit of yeast. ot much in the way of aftertaste, only a light, lingering honey flavor.
The cork was exceptionally difficult to remove, as opposed to last year, where it practically fell out. The noticable difference in carbonation adds so much to the beer. I thought it was more of a strange, muddy belgian style last year, and this time around it's something completely different. Much more mead-like, unlike anything I've had before. My hat's off for this one.

02-23-2004 07:34:50 | More by UnionMade
ppoitras

3.98/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

25ozer from Spirit Haus, Amherst, MA. Excellent shelf presentation, with hang tag, black foil, caged cork on a dark greenish bottle. Cork is covered with the Magic Hat star/crescent insignias.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, impressive thick white head immediately formed on top of the (no surprise) honey-colored liquid. Great honey aroma, initial tart flavor reminiscent of a lambic, which is almost instantly quelled by the blast of honey taste. Seems like the mouthfeel could use a bit more substance, feels a bit thin. An interesting brew, but it seems a bit pricey, Probably would not enjoy again except at a tasting or with friends.

02-15-2004 17:28:28 | More by ppoitras
aracauna

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pale amber and bright white head. Aroma is mainly honey, hints of orange fruit and flowers. Flavor makes me think of sopapillas with the fried bread, honey, butter and cinamon. Nice dry malt in support of honey. Not too sweet, but sweetness builds as it warms. It's best when it's chilled, but not ice cold and before it warms up too much. Clean finish.

01-07-2004 07:26:46 | More by aracauna
littlebibs

New Hampshire

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

another unusal MH beer that opened with a bang and settled
into a fine tasting unusual honey laced concoction. What I have always admired about MH beers
is the way they change over just a few mins warming up. I'm a big fan of
beers with honey(just a trace is fine) so I was glad I spend the money to try this. Very low on the hops/malts its still different
enough to check out. I brought a bottle Christmas day before dinner with friends
and it went over very well. Everyone commented on its light/honey-spice
taste and undescribeable aftertastes, somewhat sweet but delicious ale beer. I will buy this again,
Reminds me of a nice summer beer, I enjoy wheat beers and wit
beers when its hot and you want to drink a few. I just
enjoy trying all these MH beers as they come out during the seasons. WELL worth finding, a little pricey but delicious.

12-13-2003 00:00:05 | More by littlebibs
francisweizen

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

2003 release, weirdly shaped 750ml bottle that is corked and caged. Pours a dark honey colour with a minimal head of white foam, this bottle is definately not a gusher! The aromas consists of honey and pie crust. Where are the hops, where are the malts? The taste is more of the same....a light, crisp honey sweetness as well as some spiciness. The mouthfeel is too light, carbonated, and fluffy for my tastes as well. The drinkability is nice, but for $15 a bottle, this should and could be better!

12-02-2003 05:29:39 | More by francisweizen
Shiredave

3.9/5  rDev -2.7%

2002 edition , which came w/ a MH lighter/ opener that broke in two on it's first bottle. Damn thing coulda blown my hand off!
Sparkling, golden color with a tall bright white, foamy head that collapses quickly to a fine film. Carbonation is sparse but steady, slowly churning suspended yeast floaties and bits of cork which detracts from this pretty glass of liquid gold.
Aromas of Mead and apples ( whats that called?) - very clean with a faint yeasty note.
Flavors of tart apples and more honey on toast mixed w/ grassy hop and simmering alcohol. This seems to get better as it sits, even tho it was opened at room temp.
Mouthfeel is fuzzy and fairly light and Chablis-like with a slightly harsh lemony tartness on the tongue. Finish is very dry and warm.
I've had better Braggots from homebrewers but this is still an interesting example to try if you find it.

11-28-2003 18:48:16 | More by Shiredave
xgrigorix

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Fall 2003 release, 750 ml bottle, corked & caged.

Medium gold, clear. Brisk carbonation moves through the liquid. Dense white head quickly recedes to a thin 1/4".

Intriguing aroma. Floral, spicy, lemons, & of course honey.

Sweet & a little bit grainy up front. Some pleasant fruit flavours move in & out. More honey! Crisp and dry with some mild hop flavours & a touch of spice. Chamomile tea lingers. Medium bodied. Carbonation has quickly settled in to a moderate level.

Nice, but not worth the $15/bottle price tag.

11-17-2003 14:52:54 | More by xgrigorix
mikeys01

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

This is my first bottle of the 2003 Braggot, and I must say I was initially a bit skeptical considering last years super fizzy (albeit good) offering and this year's price hike (I paid $12.99). However, I must say I think they made some good improvements. This year's braggot poured out a nice hazy gold color, with only minimal white head , much easier to pour. Aroma is very sweet and a nice blend of flowery honey, a little bit of tart citrus, and some yeast/malt character. Flavor is excellent an dsurprisingly complex, tasing first very sweet and a little malty, then developing a very noticeable flowery honey flavor, and finally leaving just hints of spice on the back of the tongue. Goes down very smooth and tasty, very drinkable. Just wish it was a tad bit on the more affordable side. Even if it is a Humdinger that Magic Hat brewed last year as well, I'd say this year's version is a different animal so to speak, and a better one.

10-30-2003 00:27:43 | More by mikeys01
WanderingFool

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I searched everywhere last year for the Magic Hat Braggot and never found a bottle. This year I was lucky enough to find 2 bottles at my local liquor store. It was definitely worth the wait.

The "beer" pours a hazy honey yellow color with some orange hues mixed in. A fizzy white head quickly dissolved to a thin sheet on the surface. The aroma was a pleasant combination of apples, honey, and flowers (rose?). It almost reminded me of a white wine.

This smooth, medium bodied beer is packed with flavor. It begins with a fruity apple flavor with hints of nutmeg mixed in. Honey holds the tastes together and it finishes with a slightly sour grape flavor. A mildly sour aftertaste remains behind. The 6% alcohol is hidden very well.

Since this was my first braggot I don't have anything to compare it too. All I can say is that it is a wonderful drink that reminds me more of a wine than a beer.

10-26-2003 21:44:01 | More by WanderingFool
scottum

Vermont

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not sure what everyone else is talking about with the overfoaming. Not ten minutes after the bottle tok a bumpy backroad drive with me, I opened my bottle and poured two perfect glasses of this hazey golden brew with a beautiful two inch white head. Mouthfeel is not quite where I'd like it to be; goes down kind of choppy. The honey is strong with this one. Flavors more complex than I expected. I may be a bit bias against a style so sweet, but I don't hate this. Certainly worth a taste.

10-22-2003 20:41:55 | More by scottum
taez555

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

This was my first braggot. I wasn't sure what to expect.

At first this beer poured an almost uncontrollable foamy head. Litterally nothing but head no matter how you tried to pour it. After a few minutes it started to pour a little easier. But... the head was a lovely bright white. The body was a very clear, almost bud like, yellow with a huge amount of carbonated bubbles rising up through.

The nose was interesting to say the least. A combination of your typical beer smell, fruit, some yeast, apples, pears, honey, a touch of alcohol, barley.

The taste was simply amazing. The best way I can describe it is honey champagne. Huge levels of a fine carbonation. Very light and easy drinking. So very smooth. Almost watery. You can barely taste the alcohol. Tart and sweet. A honey flavored lambic light if you will. Some other soft fruit flavors. A touch of hops, even a little pepper. Not much taste of malt at all.

Overall I was really taken back and impressed by this beer. It's like a honey flavored belgian triple/mead/lambic/champagne. At $15+ a bottle I think I'd save this for special occasions only. It'd be a great alternative to champagne.

09-29-2003 06:33:17 | More by taez555
PSUDREW

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Well Glory be we need this in PA more often. Nice lght copper color, remincent of yellow fizzy beer. A delightfull summer/fall beer. Big amount of head, nice lace following. Smells like a field at the end of spring, possibly in may. A "sweet wheat" taste is you will, but that does not do it justice. This is a beer to give to your alcho-pop, toll non BA friends. Prob could double as a sweet wine, or a variation of a cider (cider and hops, hmmmmmm). Honety is in full efect, and whatever hop they use complements it nicely. Feels like a day in the park (as opposed to a party) in your mouth. Get some, get alot, cause you'll love it!

08-12-2003 02:05:55 | More by PSUDREW
dwarbi

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a fine looking drink! Full, fluffy white head, lots of lacing The mead bubbles up nicely and the color is a slightly warm orange/yellow. Smells of honey, of course. very pleasant. Tastes great. A very smooth mead. Feel fantastic on the tongue, too. No problem finishing this and I'll be looking for more.

07-16-2003 03:40:32 | More by dwarbi
Murph

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a beautiful golden color with a constant effervescence and a huge, overflowing, rocky, white head that sticks around. Big sweet honey nose with a bit of a dry vinous aroma mixed with some light orange and orange zest. A nice sweet honey flavor from beginning to end with soft fruity undertones of peach and orange and just a bit of spiciness thrown in. For all the carbonation in the brew itself there is surprisingly little on the tongue. Slightly cloying sweetness from the massive honey flavors. The lighter flavors of this brew give it a nice refreshingly crisp property that would make it very nice for warmer weather drinking. This is one massively drinkable brew that is rather tasty. I hope that they offer this one again. As a disclaimer I don't know too much about meads and braggots but I do know that this was damn tasty.

03-27-2003 08:13:34 | More by Murph
kaszeta

New Hampshire

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Like most everything from Magic Hat, this braggot is funky. Served in a frosted black corked bottle, it pours with a very clear light amber body, excellent clarity, and light bubbling with almost no head. Looks like champagne, in fact. A clear honey aroma presides over the smell, with a slight sour note to balance the sweetness. The honey flavor also dominates the taste, with some very subtle background flavors of hops and malt (although a bit more malt might really help). The mouthfeel is a bit sharp, mostly due to the strong carbonation.

A respectable mead.