2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Braggot - Magic Hat Brewing Company

BraggotBraggot

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Braggot |  6.00% ABV

An Ale Brewed with Honey Braggot is a most remarkable honey ale, made with specialty malts & wildflower honey from Vermont's Champlain Valley. The honey adds smoothness with subtle hints of chamomile. Braggot is an ale of shining perfection that simply must be experienced to be understood. But hurry ... for Braggot, as with each entry in our Humdinger series, vanishes almost as soon as it arrives. Get a bottle of Braggot today and come to know a new 'Ale of Legend'.

(Beer added by: taez555 on 10-12-2002)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 46 | Reviews: 43 | Show All Ratings:
mikeys01

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +7.2%

This is my first bottle of the 2003 Braggot, and I must say I was initially a bit skeptical considering last years super fizzy (albeit good) offering and this year's price hike (I paid $12.99). However, I must say I think they made some good improvements. This year's braggot poured out a nice hazy gold color, with only minimal white head , much easier to pour. Aroma is very sweet and a nice blend of flowery honey, a little bit of tart citrus, and some yeast/malt character. Flavor is excellent an dsurprisingly complex, tasing first very sweet and a little malty, then developing a very noticeable flowery honey flavor, and finally leaving just hints of spice on the back of the tongue. Goes down very smooth and tasty, very drinkable. Just wish it was a tad bit on the more affordable side. Even if it is a Humdinger that Magic Hat brewed last year as well, I'd say this year's version is a different animal so to speak, and a better one.

10-30-2003 00:27:43 | More by mikeys01
WanderingFool

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I searched everywhere last year for the Magic Hat Braggot and never found a bottle. This year I was lucky enough to find 2 bottles at my local liquor store. It was definitely worth the wait.

The "beer" pours a hazy honey yellow color with some orange hues mixed in. A fizzy white head quickly dissolved to a thin sheet on the surface. The aroma was a pleasant combination of apples, honey, and flowers (rose?). It almost reminded me of a white wine.

This smooth, medium bodied beer is packed with flavor. It begins with a fruity apple flavor with hints of nutmeg mixed in. Honey holds the tastes together and it finishes with a slightly sour grape flavor. A mildly sour aftertaste remains behind. The 6% alcohol is hidden very well.

Since this was my first braggot I don't have anything to compare it too. All I can say is that it is a wonderful drink that reminds me more of a wine than a beer.

10-26-2003 21:44:01 | More by WanderingFool
scottum

Vermont

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not sure what everyone else is talking about with the overfoaming. Not ten minutes after the bottle tok a bumpy backroad drive with me, I opened my bottle and poured two perfect glasses of this hazey golden brew with a beautiful two inch white head. Mouthfeel is not quite where I'd like it to be; goes down kind of choppy. The honey is strong with this one. Flavors more complex than I expected. I may be a bit bias against a style so sweet, but I don't hate this. Certainly worth a taste.

10-22-2003 20:41:55 | More by scottum
taez555

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

This was my first braggot. I wasn't sure what to expect.

At first this beer poured an almost uncontrollable foamy head. Litterally nothing but head no matter how you tried to pour it. After a few minutes it started to pour a little easier. But... the head was a lovely bright white. The body was a very clear, almost bud like, yellow with a huge amount of carbonated bubbles rising up through.

The nose was interesting to say the least. A combination of your typical beer smell, fruit, some yeast, apples, pears, honey, a touch of alcohol, barley.

The taste was simply amazing. The best way I can describe it is honey champagne. Huge levels of a fine carbonation. Very light and easy drinking. So very smooth. Almost watery. You can barely taste the alcohol. Tart and sweet. A honey flavored lambic light if you will. Some other soft fruit flavors. A touch of hops, even a little pepper. Not much taste of malt at all.

Overall I was really taken back and impressed by this beer. It's like a honey flavored belgian triple/mead/lambic/champagne. At $15+ a bottle I think I'd save this for special occasions only. It'd be a great alternative to champagne.

09-29-2003 06:33:17 | More by taez555
PSUDREW

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

Well Glory be we need this in PA more often. Nice lght copper color, remincent of yellow fizzy beer. A delightfull summer/fall beer. Big amount of head, nice lace following. Smells like a field at the end of spring, possibly in may. A "sweet wheat" taste is you will, but that does not do it justice. This is a beer to give to your alcho-pop, toll non BA friends. Prob could double as a sweet wine, or a variation of a cider (cider and hops, hmmmmmm). Honety is in full efect, and whatever hop they use complements it nicely. Feels like a day in the park (as opposed to a party) in your mouth. Get some, get alot, cause you'll love it!

08-12-2003 02:05:55 | More by PSUDREW
dwarbi

4.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a fine looking drink! Full, fluffy white head, lots of lacing The mead bubbles up nicely and the color is a slightly warm orange/yellow. Smells of honey, of course. very pleasant. Tastes great. A very smooth mead. Feel fantastic on the tongue, too. No problem finishing this and I'll be looking for more.

07-16-2003 03:40:32 | More by dwarbi
Murph

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a beautiful golden color with a constant effervescence and a huge, overflowing, rocky, white head that sticks around. Big sweet honey nose with a bit of a dry vinous aroma mixed with some light orange and orange zest. A nice sweet honey flavor from beginning to end with soft fruity undertones of peach and orange and just a bit of spiciness thrown in. For all the carbonation in the brew itself there is surprisingly little on the tongue. Slightly cloying sweetness from the massive honey flavors. The lighter flavors of this brew give it a nice refreshingly crisp property that would make it very nice for warmer weather drinking. This is one massively drinkable brew that is rather tasty. I hope that they offer this one again. As a disclaimer I don't know too much about meads and braggots but I do know that this was damn tasty.

03-27-2003 08:13:34 | More by Murph
kaszeta

New Hampshire

3.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Like most everything from Magic Hat, this braggot is funky. Served in a frosted black corked bottle, it pours with a very clear light amber body, excellent clarity, and light bubbling with almost no head. Looks like champagne, in fact. A clear honey aroma presides over the smell, with a slight sour note to balance the sweetness. The honey flavor also dominates the taste, with some very subtle background flavors of hops and malt (although a bit more malt might really help). The mouthfeel is a bit sharp, mostly due to the strong carbonation.

A respectable mead.

03-16-2003 15:03:29 | More by kaszeta
kunzbrew

3.63/5  rDev -9.5%

Nice black bottle. I was expecting a valcano of head to pour out the bottle but that did not happen. I chilled the bottle in the snow for about 20 minutes. This brew pours a light golden color, with a white fluffy head that last the duration, leaving a silky lace behind. The smell of honey is light and nice, I am a mead fan so this was nice. The first reveals a strong carbonation that sting my tongue "ouch". Honey is strong to the palate, with little to no hop flavor. The finish leaves honey in your mouth for a long period of time, that is what I did not like.

Cheers

01-27-2003 09:00:52 | More by kunzbrew
far333

Connecticut

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

Maybe it's because it was my first Braggot, but I was disappointed by this selection. Tthere was so much carbonation that it was difficult to pour 4 glasses. No matter how slow I poured, it still wanted to foam over, and the head never seemd to settle. The color was a faint golden, almost yellow, like a pilsner. The feel was all bubbles, almost like a champagne. The aroma was also similar to champagne. I expected the honey flavor to be a bit stronger, but there was just a faint hint. I'd like to try it again, but there are other beers I can try for a much lower price.

01-25-2003 12:38:48 | More by far333
koolkat

United Kingdom (England)

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

The bottle sprayed a bit when I opened it. Took a long time to pour a glass, but I think it was worth the wait. I've never had a mead or Braggot before but this beer was very interesting. It had almost of a winey mouthfeel, which went well with the risotto with which it was paired. Overall not that bad and would drink again.

01-20-2003 20:14:22 | More by koolkat
mattmaples

Oregon

3.53/5  rDev -12%

Ok, Straw in color with a lot of carbonation. I didn’t have as hard of time with it as most. I popped it open and it did gush some. I was pouring into two pint glasses and managed the foam quite well. Not any more than you would get out of a good weisse beer. It had a good dry honey nose to it and just a little malt. The flavor was nice, big on the honey but rather lacking in the malt department. A slight hop bitterness at the end along with the acidity that some from fermenting honey that dry. The flavor followed through like the aroma big honey, little malt. I have had more than my fair share of braggots and meads in my day and I think they didn’t give this enough malt. Sure they were trying to make something that was different than beer but I think they sacrificed the malt side to do so. Maybe a little crystal or Belgian special B would have been nice to increase the richness and help off set the acidity. They also needed to ferment this thing longer before it hit the bottle. It was over carbonated but that comes from fermenting honey with an ale yeast. Over time ale yeast will eat every last molecule honey given the chance. I have made braggots that were still for the first six months but after 3 to 5 years are gushers. All in all not bad, Lars and I did enjoy the whole thing but it is more mead like than beer like, hell it is more mead like than braggot like.

01-15-2003 20:36:40 | More by mattmaples
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

Now I know why the cork is nailed down. The carbonation is off the scale, took nearly 1/2 hour to pour two glasses from the 750ml bottle. I had the beer at 52°, maybe it should have been below freezing to pour and then warm up to get the honey nose and slight honey after taste. This is a good braggot but there are better out there with higher ABVs and for $9.99 it is pricey. Wierd shaped black/O.D bottle that forces more foam than anyone needs.

12-29-2002 17:26:43 | More by jdhilt
beernut7

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Craked the cork and was greated by an explosion of foam. A quick pour left a long-lasting sticky head in the glasses. The aroma consists distinctly of honey and malt. The flavors of smooth honey and a nicely edged malt sweetness and a mellow hop spice. The carbonation is a bit high, but the mouthfeel is still quite smooth.

12-26-2002 11:23:20 | More by beernut7
marc77

3.73/5  rDev -7%

Ominously dense, fluffy white head. Perfect retention. The head is the epitomy of "sticky" Slight haze. Effervescent, copious bubbling. Slightly unripe pear and kiwi in aroma, along with hints of chalkiness and flinty mineraliness. Not unlike a dry white wine in aroma. Floral honey sweetness upfront yields to tarter unripe fruit and green apple acetaldehyde. Light on the palate, somewhat spritzy, but with a creaminess provided by the malt. Finishes w/ a snap of sweetness, then light, cidery tartness lingers. Crisp, light and tasty. Quaffable. Magic Hat's Braggot is reminescent of a dry Reisling / Beligan pale hybrid. Unique. Thanks to Murph for splitting the bottle!

12-23-2002 13:01:52 | More by marc77
NeroFiddled

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a hazy yellow-gold body that's topped by a huge and frothy bright white head. It holds extremely well, buoyed by a champagne-like carbonation, and it even leaves some spotty lace! Very nice. The aroma offers lightly floral honey and alcohol. It's mildly sweet, clean and enjoyable - and softer than most straight-forward meads. The body is light and the carbonation is quite crisp. It tickles the tongue before foaming up as it warms in the mouth. It's not creamy, but more like cotton candy - definitely an interesting mouthfeel! The flavor is quite one-sided, but offers a very nice, lightly sweet honey & mildly floral character with the Magic Hat house flavor surprisingly intact! It finishes with some sticky sweetness, a touch of lemon rind, and a splash of alcohol. A nice change of pace from a standard sparkling mead (or sparkling white wine) although the lighter and less-sweet character allows the alcohol to show more fully. If you're not a fan of meads, however, you'll probably do better elsewhere.

12-06-2002 18:14:21 | More by NeroFiddled
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

Well I must admit. This is one of the hardest beers I have had to review. I was so excited to try this beer, mainly because I am a HUGE fan of honey. In the course of the 35 minutes it took me to consume the 25 oz. bottle, it took many different forms. I was expecting a nice sweet smelling honey scent. No such luck. There is not much of a smell. A bit yeasty if anything. As I poured, the head just exploded, much like champagne. After sipping all of the foam, I got to the beer. I had it rather chilled which I would not recommend. This beer is best a bit warm. It really brings out the flavor. As it sat it became better. I must add that I also would not drink this with food. It needs to be enjoyed by itself. The color is of honey, cloudy amber with sediment that quickly sinks. Many bubbles as well. Towards the end it became a bit too warm and became much too sweet. So overall, the taste went from an initial champagne like quality to a syrupy ale. The best taste was somewhere in the middle. It has a very complex honey aftertaste. It also has a very wheat-like taste (like a hefe-weizen). While I enjoyed this beer, I feel it may be best to drink a champagne flute of it with friends rather than a pint glass. It is much too sweet and special to drink as a normal beer.

10-25-2002 20:29:44 | More by Jdiddy
Andy

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

A real limited edition brew. Beer pours with a thick white head and a deep off-gold color. The aroma is deeply fruity, with notes of peach, pear and honey. The flavor is a nice balance of MH's house yeast, some bitterness (from house yeast), and deep, sweet honey flavor. The honey flavor is actually quite complex. It hits as cidery, pearish, and green apples. The finish is very interesting: part dry like champagne, part varying levels of honey sweetness. The beginning is all MH house yeast and ale flavor; the finish is multi-layered, complex honey.

10-12-2002 21:53:23 | More by Andy