2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Elder Betty - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Elder BettyElder Betty

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Elder Betty is a weiss-style ale with a bready malt flavor balanced by a touch of hops and complimented by the tart berry flavors of elderberry.

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-28-2012)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elder Betty Alström Bros
Ratings: 794 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
Owl-Head

Maine

4.16/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fruity and flavorful as is to be expected by MagicHat. The scent and the flavor are nearly the same, reminiscent of blackberries but not in the way you would think of them traditionally. They combine a flavor and an aroma into a bottle that is subtly sweet, and delicately smooth enough to be a classy fruit beer, at the same time staying true to ithe maker.

01-06-2014 11:14:59 | More by Owl-Head
312HopBomb

3.6/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear straw color with small head that fades quickly. No lacing at all.

Smell: Subtle berry and light wheat

Taste has the same. A sour tart berry flavor (never tried Elderberries). Light wheat and tangy finish. Not much hop. Very light subtle flavors.

Mouthfeel is thin and crisp. Refreshing and the tart note is very pleasant. Light carbonation.

This beer grew on me as it warmed up but I like fruit beer more than the average person I think. I like this one from Magic Hat.

12-11-2013 05:40:33 | More by 312HopBomb
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

3.88/5  rDev +17.2%

Sampled back on 11/23/13. Chilled down bottle to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler. Poured into a pilsner glass.

Pours a pretty reddish golden yellow in color. Not much of a head is seen and some very little spotty lacing when sipped. The aroma is of a berry mix with some grain. Very nice. The taste was about the same with some wheat after taste. Very nice despite the above average carbonation and not too sweet as you might think. No bitter after taste. A good different type of brew.

11-26-2013 22:29:26 | More by BeerWithMike
SaCkErZ9

3.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I saw a mixed twelve pack on sale at Total Wine for $6.99 so I thought "why the hell not". I don't mind taking some chances on beer every now and then, especially when the cost affords me the opportunity.

Doesn't look very traditional. Rather dark for the style with a smallish head. Not too impressive. A slight bit of haziness but certainly more clarified than a traditional hefe. Kind of a bronze color.

I enjoyed the aroma for what it was: a hefe beer with fruit flavors or additions. I have never had elderberry, but it smells a lot like blueberries. Slightly manufactured aroma, but still, not bad. Slight spiciness and coriander, but it seems as though the elderberry steals the show here.

Flavor wasn't bad either. Again, mostly elderberry, but there is a nice spiciness with some clove and coriander. Quite refreshing, dry, finishes clean.

I like this better than the #9 that was in the box, but we will see about the rest. Not bad for a hot summer day.

09-18-2013 21:50:56 | More by SaCkErZ9
AtrumAnimus

4.71/5  rDev +42.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a beautiful cloudy tannish-blonde color with a thick and creamy head that lasts a very long time. The head settles slowly leaving the faintest tracing of lace down the glass that also shrinks with the head.

The nose is peppered fruit and sweet malt with notes of honey, bread, apples and spice.
The beer is a nicely bodied decent mouth feel beer that is not too thick but has a definite presence on the palate.

The flavors are excellent; the malt is there balanced between fruit and dry, and perfectly blended with the hops. Strong notes of peppery bread with apples that match the nose well along with caramel, sweet malts and nicely bittering hop finish that is not clinging to the tongue. I can swear I get faint hints of cardamom and flowery notes in there as well, extremely subtle, but definitely there.

Overall I really like this beer. The only down side is it is extremely drinkable and I find that my glass empty’s way to fast.

09-17-2013 03:00:34 | More by AtrumAnimus
BethanyB

3.46/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: A clear, very pale gold, with a fizzy white sliver of a head that disappears like a magic act.

Smell: The "elderberry" aroma, which comes off as aid of blueberries and blackberries, overpowers. A bit of pale malt and some spicy hops seep through.

Taste: Again, the berries are the lead act, with pale malt as a basic base. Just a touch of spicy hop flavor lends some balance. The fruit brings with it a slight lactic sourness. Refreshing and easy to drink, with a clean aftertaste. Nice enough, but lacking in complexity or real ingenuity. Clean aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medi-light, with high carbonation. Definitely a crisp, refreshing, summertime feel. The finish is slightly dry, I part to the high carbonation.

Overall: Has a lot of commercial appeal, with plenty of flavor, but not too much "beery beer" taste. I would NOT classify this ad a hefeweizen, but rather a specialty ale. Nothing about this beer says "hefeweizen" to me.

09-16-2013 09:40:32 | More by BethanyB
brewdlyhooked13

3.26/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - a slight haze to the strawberry golden brew. The head billows up quick but has no staying power. It is down to a partial cover within the minute.

Aroma - an initial burst of berry sweetness, but it fades pretty fast. Faint grain and berryish after setup. I don't know what elderberry smells like - this is slightly raspberryish to me.

Taste - a weakish grain supporting the light fruit flavor. It still reminds me of raspberry but has a more tart edge to it. Overall, a pretty thin flavor profile. Ends clean with elements of both sweetness and dryness.

Mouthfeel - clean, very carbonated, medium to light feel. Pretty refreshing for the style.

Overall - it's not a very complex beer but I did enjoy it and could see knocking a few back by the pool.

09-10-2013 02:26:41 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Bockrules

New Mexico

3.41/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from the bottle into a hefeweizen glass

A - Pours a fairly clear gold, with swirls of yeast cascading downwards from the creamy, two finger head. A substantial amount of small bubbles rises from the bottom of the glass. Head stays intact all the way down the glass. Leaves behind a few large splotches of lacing.

S - Nice smell of wheat malt and yeast with hints of what are presumably elderberries upon opening the bottle. Wheat becomes the dominating aroma once in the glass.

T - Wheat malt upfront. The body is a somewhat awkward mix of wheat malt, hints of yeast with banana phenols, and an underlying sweetness from what must be the elderberries. Flourish of wheat as the beer passes over the back of the tongue leads to another strange berry, wheat and yeast mixture similar to the body.

M - On the heavier side of light bodied with moderate carbonation. Works fine with the beer.

Aside from the sexy looks, this beer was a rather uninspiring hefeweizsen. Part of the reason I wasn't particularly amused is that I'm not a big fan of banana-berry anything, which is precisely what you get when you mix the banana phenols from hefeweizen yeast with elderberries. Besides that, everything else pretty much seemed like a middle-of-the-road hefeweizen. Another mediocre beer from magic hat.

09-01-2013 04:21:24 | More by Bockrules
otterbearfla

2.73/5  rDev -17.5%

Head - 2.5 fingers head reducing to no head

Appearance -Opaque and orange to cloudy amber

Smell - bready, lightly hopped, fruity elder berry

Taste- Same as smell
sweet, bready, lightly hopped, elder berry

Mouthfeel - light for a Weisen intermediate to a non wheaty ale

Overall - OK but not a beer I would seek out

08-28-2013 03:04:38 | More by otterbearfla
UCLABrewN84

3.05/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a murky orange with a foamy orange-tan head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some slightly sour berry aromas. Taste is much the same with bread and fruit flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of mineral-like bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an average beer that is drinkable but nothing I would go after again.

08-15-2013 02:57:13 | More by UCLABrewN84
JayEvans813

3.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 12 pack on markdown to $7, pretty good find.

A- A nice golden amber with a thick head that runs down to nothing.

S- Smells pretty standard. I have next to no sense of smell though.

T- Tastes crisp like a hefeweizen with a light flavor of an unidentifiable berry, but refreshing.

M- Bites a bit at the end, finishes with a hint of that fruit.

Overall, for the price, not bad at all, a decent find.

Serving type: can

08-08-2013 23:36:59 | More by JayEvans813
DeFaz

2.84/5  rDev -14.2%

This "hefeweizen" (it doesn't taste too much like a hefeweizen to me, but what do I know) tries so hard to be unique, but it just doesn't articulate anything to me and ends up smelling and tasting like a smattering of flavors, like someone threw random ingredients into a bottle and crossed his fingers. It actually tastes somewhat bland despite this. I was expecting a fruit beer with a dominant flavor of elderberry. Rather than the focus being on the fruit, there's an odd dry herbal and floral flavor and a flavor of nuts and bread. It's earthy. The mouthfeel is thin, crisp, and dry. It's refreshing. I appreciate the effort to be unique, and it's not bad by any means, but the "magic" just leaves me confused and underwhelmed at the same time.

08-04-2013 02:41:55 | More by DeFaz
tigg924

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at BBC-Cedarville--served into a pint glass

Appearance: minimal head, medium carbonation, dark gold in color, hazy

Smell: faint blue and black berries, wheat

Taste: wheat, blueberry, blackberry, twigs, spice

Mouthfeel: sweet, light body, medium carbonation

Overall: I like this as a hefe/sahti mix with a bit of fruit. As beer overall, I think it is creative and would have a couple on a hot night. I think there are way better hefes that are truer to style however.

07-31-2013 16:54:04 | More by tigg924
BucannonXC5

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone pint glass
From: BevMo in Mission Valley North (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $15.99 for a Summer Scene variety 12-pack
Purchased: July 26, 2013
Consumed: July 29, 2013
Misc.: N/A

Poured a honey orange hazy color with two fingers of off-white head. Minimal wet spots of lacing on the sides of the glass. Below average retention on the top all the way down.

Smelled blueberry, grape, faint bubblegum, cherry, kiwi, honey, apple and faint banana. Basically fruity notes is what I’m saying.

Taste wasn’t quite a variety as the smell, but still flavorful. Got grape juice, blueberry, faint cotton candy, sour cherry, apple and tropical notes.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish. Clean, crisp and refreshing.

A nice beer for the summer. Beer Advocate has it as a Hefeweizen and Rate Beer has it as a wheat ale. I think it is somewhere in between. Definitely a summer beer. I’d have it again though.

07-30-2013 05:09:24 | More by BucannonXC5
Zorro

A cloudy burnt orange colored beer with small white colored head.

Smells of wheat malt and fruit with a light scent of berries and bubblegum. Smells slightly sour and that is about it.

Starts out malty with a slightly sour berry flavor. Each sip starts out sour and finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall this is a poster child for a "Just OK" beer.

07-19-2013 01:16:08 | More by Zorro
gibsonflip

3.59/5  rDev +8.5%

The label of the bottle enticed me as I was casually strolling through the supermarket with my love. I was asking what beer to get when suddenly a bright flash of bold contrasting colors attracts the peripheral vision of my spectrum. Alas, I turn my body to see the majestic elder betty staring at me with her magic eyes, drawing me in. Suddenly I find my arm moving itself without even a thought. Elder Betty knows what she wants. She wants my mouth on her, sucking down her juices. Elder Betty knows whats best! The ale is smooth and calms my inner soul. I pour it on my girlfriend's neck and lick it off. Well done Elder Betty, well done.

07-16-2013 01:48:25 | More by gibsonflip
thecheapies

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark blonde and cloudy. Soppy foam too is small.

Tangy berry scent crossed with spicy wheat and light citrus. Not picking up any clove. Kind of fruity with elderberry and not a whole lot else.

Drinks with a lighter elderberry presence. Some tangy wheat and yeast esters that seem mostly nutty. Faint banana tries to come through. Citrus is a little bit of orange peel that reveals itself alongside finishing dryness and some herbal hops and bitterness. Not exactly to style.

Too thin and too peppy. Not very rich.

They should change this back to a pale wheat. It would score a little higher.

07-12-2013 02:47:26 | More by thecheapies
jifigz

3.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass

This beer pours a nice light orange color with a head that is extremely minimal. It looks very carbonated and is very bubbly. There is a slight haze to the beer. The berries are very evident in the aroma. It is fruit sweet with a hint of alcohol in the nose as well. The aroma is mainly dominated by the fruit smell which I don't usually find all that appealing in beer, but this smells pretty good. The flavor is, as the smell is, very fruit driven. It starts out sweet and finishes with just a hint of bitterness for a balance somewhat, but it is still quite sweet. This actually tastes fairly good for a fruit beer. It is very smooth in the mouth and the flavor is a pretty good thirst quencher for summer. The MF is a lighter, thin bodied brew.

I usually don't care for fruit beers, or Magic Hat for that matter, but I totally thought that this was pretty good stuff. I would most certainly drink this again but I doubt that I would ever want a whole case of it. My brother bought this mix pack and left it at my house, so I will certainly drink it for free.

07-10-2013 21:19:45 | More by jifigz
alaimoa

Connecticut

3.14/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is an interesting beer with a very tasty summery flavor that you could drink in the hot sun for hours. Has a berry, wheat, light taste and mouthfeel that is refreshing. Don't let the rating deceive you, if you are looking for a good summer beer to drink all day you won't be disappointed.

07-09-2013 00:21:42 | More by alaimoa
interkin3tic

American Samoa

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

I bought this because it was billed as a summer beer. It does taste berry-ish, though I'm not sure I've ever tasted a elderberry to know if that's what I'm tasting. If you've, like me, never had an elderberry, it's an interesting new taste.

Like Magic Hat's number nine, it has a unique taste and is light, but kind of lacks a punch I like in beers. It feels light. It's summer, and I wasn't looking for something really heavy, so perhaps it's more me not knowing what I want.

07-01-2013 02:55:34 | More by interkin3tic
Sludgeman

District of Columbia

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

I've had the pleasure (or maybe I should say that I have made the unfortunate decision) to have multiple types of Magic Hat beers over the past few days. Does Magic Hat use the same base beer for everything they brew? It has certainly tasted like that. This beer is not the worst I have had though. It is refreshing, but it is no comparison to other wheat/hefe beers.

A - Pours a slight cloudy golden color. Cloudiness is not the same like a standard hefe. There was no sediment at the bottom of the bottle. A pale white rocky 1-finger head that quickly dissapates. Well carbonated. No lacing.

S - Some fruitness (I suppose it is elderbeery). No estery, banana or clove like aromas.

T - An adjunct flavor. A faint sweetness/fruitiness or maybe I am imaging it since I know the beer uses elderberries. Low hoppiness.

MF - Light bodied with a med-high carbonation.

06-27-2013 00:42:26 | More by Sludgeman
Natainos

4.28/5  rDev +29.3%

A: Poured from the bottle to a goblet, this beer is orangey tan in color. The white foam is average inch it does stick around long enough to give the beer an attractive cover with creay bubbles.

S: Very Berry aroma with notes of wheat and grains.

T: Is fruity and wheat- like, like enjoying a bowl of captian crunch. The taste is full of black & blue berries, with a good wheat backbone... bready and creamy texture. The hop presence is only slight.

M: A nice Cream Ale Weiss, some fizz.

O: Very nice summer brew; ballparks across America need to be serving this. Enjoyed very much.

06-25-2013 23:19:39 | More by Natainos
BryanCarey

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle, this beer has an orange/tan color and a berry- like aroma that has notes of wheat and grains. The white foam is average and it does stick around long enough to give the beer an attractive cover.

The taste of this beer is fruity and wheat- like, and it reminds me of a bowl of cereal with pieces of fresh berries. The taste is like a cross between blueberries and blackberries with a good wheat backbone and creamy texture. The hop presence is only slight, but about what one would expect for thsi style.

Fruit beers are not usually my style, but I do like them when they have real beer character and this fruit beer certainly passes on these and other counts. The fruit character is undeniable, but so is the wheat and bread character in the background, making the beer seem like a fruity dessert or piece of fruit pie. I like it better than many other fruity brews and I find it has enough good qualities to earn a recommendation.

06-21-2013 01:17:16 | More by BryanCarey
HBBJ

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Straw colored and slightly hazy. Pale white head quickly faded, leaving a thin layer of fine foam with just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Moderate bready aroma. Spicy, with a strong smell of berry candy, and a touch of fruity hops.

Taste: Light malt-wheat flavor, with not quite enough berry flavor. Hop flavor and bitterness barely detectable. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, and slightly sour.

Overall: A reasonably well-made wheat beer. Lack of berry color indicates beer had flavor added, as opposed to being brewed with elderberries, and the berry flavor suffered as a result.

06-10-2013 03:41:55 | More by HBBJ
stella77artois

3.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap, in pint glass.

A - Light yellow with some haze. Fair amount of carbonation visible. Small, frothy head which dissipated quickly.

S - Not a holw lot going on. The wheat of a hefeweizen. A bit of hops.

T - A decent hefeweizen. Not a whole lot stood out. A little more flavor than similar beers I've tried, which was good. Not sure what elder berry is supposed to taste like, but I didn't notice any type of berry or fruit taste.

F - Refreshing and clean, not dry. Nice and crisp.

O - A decent hefeweizen. This isn't my favorite type of beer, but I feel this is a decent representation of the style. Disappointed though, in the fact that there was no discernable elder berry taste.

06-09-2013 23:51:19 | More by stella77artois