Elder Betty - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 03-28-2012

Elder Betty is a weiss-style ale with a bready malt flavor balanced by a touch of hops and complimented by the tart berry flavors of elderberry.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elder Betty Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,126 | Reviews: 164
3.62/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had Elder Betty in a nonic pint.

Appearance- Very hazy body in the glass, it has some amber patches around the edges of the glass with a dark marigold hue. The head is a white film that just covers the beer.

Smell- I actually can smell some juicy blackberry and a general berry fruitiness. I also get a honey-sweet malt flavor. I suppose there is some spice and earthiness here too, but I had to really get my nose down in this stuff to find it. Nice touch with the berry flavor.

Taste- I am surprised by the bitterness that hits first. I also catch the berry flavors with the bitterness. Just like that, those flavors fade and are replaced by a wheaty, phenolic flavor. The follow through does not really expand on what has already happen or change in anyway. It just kind of, drops off.

So, more of the berry should follow through, and some kind of hop presence would be nice. The yeast has really taken over for most of this drink. Maybe since this is a Hefe, that is what the brewers wanted?

Mouth feel- The beer is more of a medium body, but does not stick, or have any lift. This beer just slides over the tongue. This would be unfortunate if the beer was more complex. As it is, it fits the conventional nature of the palate.

Overall- Elder Betty surprised me when I took the first couple whiffs. The juicy dark berry scents were promising. However, the flavors fall off on the tongue. The berry is short lived and the phenols over stay their welcome.

As a light and refreshing beer, I can't be too upset with it. I'd have it again, but I wouldn't be excited to .

3.03/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured this 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a golden orange hazy color, producdd a small white head, below average retention and it little lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of malted grain, nuts and berries. Light in body, smooth mouthfeel, there was a base of cereal grain, hits of berries and a slight bit of tartness.

3.55/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a hazy straw with a nice fluffy white head that dissipates fairly quickly but leaves some lacing on the glass. Smells of berries and sweet grain, very balanced. Tastes of barley and blueberry, very pleasant. Beer is balanced for its light body, with great carbonation and nice finish. Overall, a pretty good beer.

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a standard glass mug. This was part of a summer sampler 12-pack offering from Magic Hat.

Appearance: An aggressive bottle pour only yielded a small ¼” off-white head which quickly dissipated to nothing noticeable. A hazy amber/copper color brew with almost no lacing as my mug emptied.

Smell: Sweet berries come to mind right away, mixed with a little bit of your typical bready wheat and yeast aromas. You can definitely tell from the smell this is fruit beer.

Taste: Sweet and sour berries attack the tongue right away, followed by more and more sweetness. A light bready/malty wheat is present, but takes a back seat to the sweetness. Hops?? I’m not convinced they found their way into this beer.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation for this light-to-medium body beer. Its easy drinking for a fruit beer, but you would have to like the fruity style to really enjoy it. The berry flavor lingers awhile on the tongue after each sip.

Overall: If you like sweet fruity beer then this may be one you want to try. I don’t see myself running out to buy a 6-pack though since it’s too fruity-sweet for my liking. One or two from a sampler pack is plenty. At 5.5% ABV, it’s probably not the summer session beer one is looking for. Their #9 and Circus Boy are much better in my opinion.

2.85/5  rDev -13.6%

This "hefeweizen" (it doesn't taste too much like a hefeweizen to me, but what do I know) tries so hard to be unique, but it just doesn't articulate anything to me and ends up smelling and tasting like a smattering of flavors, like someone threw random ingredients into a bottle and crossed his fingers. It actually tastes somewhat bland despite this. I was expecting a fruit beer with a dominant flavor of elderberry. Rather than the focus being on the fruit, there's an odd dry herbal and floral flavor and a flavor of nuts and bread. It's earthy. The mouthfeel is thin, crisp, and dry. It's refreshing. I appreciate the effort to be unique, and it's not bad by any means, but the "magic" just leaves me confused and underwhelmed at the same time.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Golden color with a thin white head and a lot of carbonation. No lacing on the glass.

Smell: Citrus/hops with berry notes.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of hops with fruity citrus and berries and a tart aftertaste.

Overall: Ok brew. Glad I tried it.

3.3/5  rDev 0%

A-pours a hazy light/orange amber color with a white head with average retention
S-smells almost like a sour. its a bit yeasty, berry must, with no real hop presence
T-Its like a mixed between a blueberry and raspberry wheat beer. Hops provide nice balance without contributing flavor.
M-light bodied
O-probably would have helped if I had ever eaten an actual elderberry. Regardless, the beer is well balanced and very drinkable. Best Magic Hat beer I've had in awhile.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Into a pint glass:

A: hazy brown colored body with a fizzy soft white head that dies within twenty seconds. No lacing was left and very little carbonation was seen rising.

S: some orange, grape and cherry. All three of these were pretty distinct from each other - not really taking any sort of blend.

T: orange, grape and cherry, not much else, maybe a bit of honey, but wasn't exactly combined right, something just didn`t quite right taste right ... ???

M: light and the carbonation was definitely felt, a bit harsh on the tongue.

O: well, I'm glad I only got a single of this just to try and I don't think I'll get this again.

4.38/5  rDev +32.7%

Magic Hat is becoming my favorite brewery!!! It's different, nothing else like it. You can definitely taste the elderberry, and it works. Took me a while to find this, but actually found it at a Kroger and Only one particular Kroger here In Indianapolis. And that was after I checked about 15 places. We'll worth finding it!!

3.26/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Pours a dark blonde with a pinkish hue. Light egg white head with some bubbles and minimum head. A drizzling lacing is left upon the glass.

Smell: Smell is sweet and almost grapey, with an nice aroma of fruity yeast.

Taste: This is cool and crisp. Definitely a summer ale. The yeasty fruits linger and bubble in the mouth and leave a tingle on the tongue. The initial taste is fruity and frothy with an almost biscuit like quality. I suppose the fruit taste you get is elderberrys, since the bottle just keeps gushing about elderberrys, but honestly I can’t place it other than to say it is fruity.

Mouthfeel: This beer is crisp and bubbly with a fair amount of carbonation in the initial swig. With the yeasty flavoring it allows for a slightly chewy quality to it while still being light and summery. The after taste is wet on the tongue tip and tingly on the tongue.

Overall: I’m a little biased against this beer because it replaced the Wacko, which is a beer I love, but I’ll be fair and say it is not a terrible beer. It’s a little fruity with its yeast, which is expected for the style. It’s a mediocre summer ale.

3.05/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance - Not a bad looking beer at all. One finger of head that leaves a nice, thicker residue on the surface. Musty brown/orange amber that looks quite sweet. This doesnt look like any Hefeweizen I've ever had before, so I am assuming that the darker amber colors are coming from the elderberries. Lacing is impressive, something I'm used to from a Hefe, but not from Magic Hat.

Smell - Smells like a fresh grapevine. Light notes of berries. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think these are the types of berries that I used to pick when I was younger. The smell brings back fond memories for me, so I am naturally drawn to the lighter smell of berries.

Taste - At first, Magic Hat once again lets me down in the taste department. I came into this beer review not expecting much, but the appearance and smell really got my hopes up that Magic Hat was going to redeem themselves for me. Sadly, this beer has no body to it whatsoever. The taste of elderberries is most prominent. A grapey, sugary, lightly fizzy beverage. These are most certainly the berries I used to pick when I was younger. As I continue drinking, the taste of elderberries become increasingly stronger. Soon, every drink tastes of sweet, freshly picked berries; almost like I'm a kid again - washing them under the sink faucet and sneaking a few tastes.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - I am very torn with this beer. I want to give it a bad rap, but it's overwhelming elderberry taste reminds me too much of my childhood days. Back then, I never thought I'd be having this berry in the form of a beer. My main complaint is that this beer has no body to it whatsoever. It is very watery, with the sweetness and viney grapey flavors being the only qualities that draw me in. Malt is non-existent, as is any form of hops. Carbonation is light, and I suppose there is a bit of bitterness that dances on the tongue if you let the beer sit long enough.

To be clear, I enjoy this beer strictly for the taste of the elderberries. It is well-balanced, but seriously lacking in the hops and malt departments.

3.44/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap, in pint glass.

A - Light yellow with some haze. Fair amount of carbonation visible. Small, frothy head which dissipated quickly.

S - Not a holw lot going on. The wheat of a hefeweizen. A bit of hops.

T - A decent hefeweizen. Not a whole lot stood out. A little more flavor than similar beers I've tried, which was good. Not sure what elder berry is supposed to taste like, but I didn't notice any type of berry or fruit taste.

F - Refreshing and clean, not dry. Nice and crisp.

O - A decent hefeweizen. This isn't my favorite type of beer, but I feel this is a decent representation of the style. Disappointed though, in the fact that there was no discernable elder berry taste.

4.23/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From Magic Hat 2012 Summer Seasonal assortment, cap say's "In time, we all rhyme."

Aroma of slightly sour fruits. Pours a hazy light orange colour with a nice but very short lasting head. I'm partial to fruit beers, and this one hits all the points. The berry is not overpowering, just the right tart tangyness. It has the nice breadyness I expect from a Weiss as well. Overall, it's a good drinking beer.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is an interesting beer with a very tasty summery flavor that you could drink in the hot sun for hours. Has a berry, wheat, light taste and mouthfeel that is refreshing. Don't let the rating deceive you, if you are looking for a good summer beer to drink all day you won't be disappointed.

2.94/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Medium yellow. Hazy. Thin white head that quickly dissipates. Looks like a weiss, but no hint of the elderberry influence.

Smell - Sweet pale malt with a hint of berriness. Not entirely sure what elderberries smell like, but the berry scent here is sweet and faux-blueberry-ish.

Taste - Sweet pale malt, a hint of clove and a hint of berry. Not offensive, but not impressive. Still don't know what an elderberry is supposed to taste like.

Mouthfeel - Light.

Overall - I don't dislike this, but I can't see going to it again. And I didn't get much elderberry. Maybe that's the fault of the fruit, but then why make a beer featuring it?

4.71/5  rDev +42.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a beautiful cloudy tannish-blonde color with a thick and creamy head that lasts a very long time. The head settles slowly leaving the faintest tracing of lace down the glass that also shrinks with the head.

The nose is peppered fruit and sweet malt with notes of honey, bread, apples and spice.
The beer is a nicely bodied decent mouth feel beer that is not too thick but has a definite presence on the palate.

The flavors are excellent; the malt is there balanced between fruit and dry, and perfectly blended with the hops. Strong notes of peppery bread with apples that match the nose well along with caramel, sweet malts and nicely bittering hop finish that is not clinging to the tongue. I can swear I get faint hints of cardamom and flowery notes in there as well, extremely subtle, but definitely there.

Overall I really like this beer. The only down side is it is extremely drinkable and I find that my glass empty’s way to fast.

4.08/5  rDev +23.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Elder Betty brewed by Magic Hat Brewing Company. This brew pours out a cloudy amber color with a small white head. Going to say this brew is unfiltered. Elder Betty has an ABV of 5.5%. The smell is rich with spices and some grains and fruit. The taste is great smooth and rich with spices and berries. Elder Betty goes down smooth with no bad aftertaste. There is nothing bad to say about this brew. This brew starts off smooth with a clean finish. I like how this brew has more flavor than most brews on the market. This brew was more than what I was expecting. I would buy this Elder Betty again I'm giving this brew a 4.50 out of 5.

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a hotel water glass. I know I know not the best thing. But I'm making do.

Appearance: It poured how most weiss do in my opinion. Cloudy with a small head and no visible alcohol legs. Looking at it it look just how a wheat bear is expected. Head dissipated quickly.

Smell: Definitely has the bready smell to it. But the fruity, berry smell comes in to over power that. It smells refreshing.

Taste: Front of the mouth has a sweet tart, fruity, berry taste to it. That comes from the fruit used in it I'm sure. has the mouth feel of most wheat beers. I do like the taste. I can see it being very refreshing during the summer months. The aftertaste is again berry and citrusy.

Overall: It is a good beer. And I think it fits into the weiss beer and especially what Magic Hat was trying to do. Most of their offerings are a little off-the-wall and I can appreciate that. I'm definitely going to enjoy this 6-pack in the August Daytona Beach sun.

Cheers.

3.32/5  rDev +0.6%

ST: 12oz poured into a pint glass. Bottle lists ABV but not DBD.

A: Cloudy orange with a half-a-finger white head that sounds like soda. The head quickly settles into a thin strip. There does appear to be a lot of carbonation.

S: Berry, citrus, and wheat.

T: Lots of sweet berry upfront moves into a slightly bitter fruit finish with a hint of hops and spice. There is also a bit of bread.

M: Medium and feels a bit flat.

O: Wiess with elderberry? Yes. Result? Eh. Seems sweet at first, but there is some bitterness to balance at the end. The elderberry is noticeable (perhaps too much). The finish is not very clean. I could see this being refreshing in hot weather, which is the point. I do think the finish needs to be a little less cloying.

3.3/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle, this beer has an orange/tan color and a berry- like aroma that has notes of wheat and grains. The white foam is average and it does stick around long enough to give the beer an attractive cover.

The taste of this beer is fruity and wheat- like, and it reminds me of a bowl of cereal with pieces of fresh berries. The taste is like a cross between blueberries and blackberries with a good wheat backbone and creamy texture. The hop presence is only slight, but about what one would expect for thsi style.

Fruit beers are not usually my style, but I do like them when they have real beer character and this fruit beer certainly passes on these and other counts. The fruit character is undeniable, but so is the wheat and bread character in the background, making the beer seem like a fruity dessert or piece of fruit pie. I like it better than many other fruity brews and I find it has enough good qualities to earn a recommendation.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Hazy light orange with a fluffy off white head. Head fades quickly to a ring but leaves little lace on the glass.

S- Sweet fruit, grapes and elderberries and the dominate notes.

T- Follows the nose, elderberries dominate the taste with a few notes form the wheat to round this out. Not very complex but a nice refreshment on a hot summer day. The finish is mostly sweet and lingering without any counterpoint to the berry taste.

M- Medium in body and with decent carbonation.

O- I would want a lot of these but it was a nice diversion on a hot day. No real character of a hefeweizen in this but it was still a pleasant beer to drink. The 5.5% ABV is low enough to make it a session beer but it is a little sweet for me to want do so.

3.8/5  rDev +15.2%

A: Pours a hazy amber color from a regular 12 oz bottle with a small patch of lacing in the middle, with bubbles continually rising from the bottom.

S: Smells lightly of straw with a hint of elder berries. Usual notes of wheat beers are present as well.

T: The taste is pretty much the same as the smell, though as other reviewers are noted, the elder berries are a little bit more pronounced producing a slightly tart taste at the finish.

M: Light bodied beer, with a medium amount of carbonation.

O: Overall, pretty tasty, this is going to make an excellent summer beer, I'll have to remember to pick up a case or two while they are still available.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

Bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance: Light orange. Small head with no lacing.

Smell: Fruity light berries.

Taste: Light berry juice, light wheat flavor

Mouthfeel: Carbonation, light texture.

Overall: Disappointing, more like a wine cooler than a beer.

2.14/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A: cloudy orange, gold, one inch, thin head

S: sharp tart fruit, yeast, phenol, berry, gum

T: tastes like some drops of berry flavor syrup, mixed in with any standard domestic beer. Beyond the obvious huckle/elder berry taste, nothing really going on in this beer. I think it's trying to be the berry style of their Number 9, and it is similar.

M: light carbonation, sweet berry, more sweet, finish is like you ate a purple jolly rancher, then drank some beer.

O: this is probably the perfect beer for some who don't normally like beer but enjoy sweet candy-like drinks and alcohol, I think it is too obvious, I like something with more going on. Aftertaste is not balanced at all to me

If you've always wished Schwepps Dry Grape came in beer version, this is your moment.

3.43/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured from the bottle into a hefeweizen glass

A - Pours a fairly clear gold, with swirls of yeast cascading downwards from the creamy, two finger head. A substantial amount of small bubbles rises from the bottom of the glass. Head stays intact all the way down the glass. Leaves behind a few large splotches of lacing.

S - Nice smell of wheat malt and yeast with hints of what are presumably elderberries upon opening the bottle. Wheat becomes the dominating aroma once in the glass.

T - Wheat malt upfront. The body is a somewhat awkward mix of wheat malt, hints of yeast with banana phenols, and an underlying sweetness from what must be the elderberries. Flourish of wheat as the beer passes over the back of the tongue leads to another strange berry, wheat and yeast mixture similar to the body.

M - On the heavier side of light bodied with moderate carbonation. Works fine with the beer.

Aside from the sexy looks, this beer was a rather uninspiring hefeweizsen. Part of the reason I wasn't particularly amused is that I'm not a big fan of banana-berry anything, which is precisely what you get when you mix the banana phenols from hefeweizen yeast with elderberries. Besides that, everything else pretty much seemed like a middle-of-the-road hefeweizen. Another mediocre beer from magic hat.

Elder Betty from Magic Hat Brewing Company