1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Elder Betty - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Elder BettyElder Betty

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Hefeweizen |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Elder Betty is a weiss-style ale with a bready malt flavor balanced by a touch of hops and complimented by the tart berry flavors of elderberry.

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-28-2012)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elder Betty Alström Bros
Ratings: 789 | Reviews: 141 | Show All Ratings:
JayEvans813

3.38/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a 12 pack on markdown to $7, pretty good find.

A- A nice golden amber with a thick head that runs down to nothing.

S- Smells pretty standard. I have next to no sense of smell though.

T- Tastes crisp like a hefeweizen with a light flavor of an unidentifiable berry, but refreshing.

M- Bites a bit at the end, finishes with a hint of that fruit.

Overall, for the price, not bad at all, a decent find.

08-08-2013 23:36:59 | More by JayEvans813
DeFaz

2.84/5  rDev -14.2%

This "hefeweizen" (it doesn't taste too much like a hefeweizen to me, but what do I know) tries so hard to be unique, but it just doesn't articulate anything to me and ends up smelling and tasting like a smattering of flavors, like someone threw random ingredients into a bottle and crossed his fingers. It actually tastes somewhat bland despite this. I was expecting a fruit beer with a dominant flavor of elderberry. Rather than the focus being on the fruit, there's an odd dry herbal and floral flavor and a flavor of nuts and bread. It's earthy. The mouthfeel is thin, crisp, and dry. It's refreshing. I appreciate the effort to be unique, and it's not bad by any means, but the "magic" just leaves me confused and underwhelmed at the same time.

08-04-2013 02:41:55 | More by DeFaz
tigg924

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap at BBC-Cedarville--served into a pint glass

Appearance: minimal head, medium carbonation, dark gold in color, hazy

Smell: faint blue and black berries, wheat

Taste: wheat, blueberry, blackberry, twigs, spice

Mouthfeel: sweet, light body, medium carbonation

Overall: I like this as a hefe/sahti mix with a bit of fruit. As beer overall, I think it is creative and would have a couple on a hot night. I think there are way better hefes that are truer to style however.

07-31-2013 16:54:04 | More by tigg924
BucannonXC5

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Type: 12-oz. bottle
Glass: Firestone pint glass
From: BevMo in Mission Valley North (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $15.99 for a Summer Scene variety 12-pack
Purchased: July 26, 2013
Consumed: July 29, 2013
Misc.: N/A

Poured a honey orange hazy color with two fingers of off-white head. Minimal wet spots of lacing on the sides of the glass. Below average retention on the top all the way down.

Smelled blueberry, grape, faint bubblegum, cherry, kiwi, honey, apple and faint banana. Basically fruity notes is what I’m saying.

Taste wasn’t quite a variety as the smell, but still flavorful. Got grape juice, blueberry, faint cotton candy, sour cherry, apple and tropical notes.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish. Clean, crisp and refreshing.

A nice beer for the summer. Beer Advocate has it as a Hefeweizen and Rate Beer has it as a wheat ale. I think it is somewhere in between. Definitely a summer beer. I’d have it again though.

07-30-2013 05:09:24 | More by BucannonXC5
Zorro

A cloudy burnt orange colored beer with small white colored head.

Smells of wheat malt and fruit with a light scent of berries and bubblegum. Smells slightly sour and that is about it.

Starts out malty with a slightly sour berry flavor. Each sip starts out sour and finishes sweet.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall this is a poster child for a "Just OK" beer.

07-19-2013 01:16:08 | More by Zorro
gibsonflip

3.59/5  rDev +8.5%

The label of the bottle enticed me as I was casually strolling through the supermarket with my love. I was asking what beer to get when suddenly a bright flash of bold contrasting colors attracts the peripheral vision of my spectrum. Alas, I turn my body to see the majestic elder betty staring at me with her magic eyes, drawing me in. Suddenly I find my arm moving itself without even a thought. Elder Betty knows what she wants. She wants my mouth on her, sucking down her juices. Elder Betty knows whats best! The ale is smooth and calms my inner soul. I pour it on my girlfriend's neck and lick it off. Well done Elder Betty, well done.

07-16-2013 01:48:25 | More by gibsonflip
thecheapies

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark blonde and cloudy. Soppy foam too is small.

Tangy berry scent crossed with spicy wheat and light citrus. Not picking up any clove. Kind of fruity with elderberry and not a whole lot else.

Drinks with a lighter elderberry presence. Some tangy wheat and yeast esters that seem mostly nutty. Faint banana tries to come through. Citrus is a little bit of orange peel that reveals itself alongside finishing dryness and some herbal hops and bitterness. Not exactly to style.

Too thin and too peppy. Not very rich.

They should change this back to a pale wheat. It would score a little higher.

07-12-2013 02:47:26 | More by thecheapies
jifigz

3.59/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass

This beer pours a nice light orange color with a head that is extremely minimal. It looks very carbonated and is very bubbly. There is a slight haze to the beer. The berries are very evident in the aroma. It is fruit sweet with a hint of alcohol in the nose as well. The aroma is mainly dominated by the fruit smell which I don't usually find all that appealing in beer, but this smells pretty good. The flavor is, as the smell is, very fruit driven. It starts out sweet and finishes with just a hint of bitterness for a balance somewhat, but it is still quite sweet. This actually tastes fairly good for a fruit beer. It is very smooth in the mouth and the flavor is a pretty good thirst quencher for summer. The MF is a lighter, thin bodied brew.

I usually don't care for fruit beers, or Magic Hat for that matter, but I totally thought that this was pretty good stuff. I would most certainly drink this again but I doubt that I would ever want a whole case of it. My brother bought this mix pack and left it at my house, so I will certainly drink it for free.

07-10-2013 21:19:45 | More by jifigz
alaimoa

Connecticut

3.14/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is an interesting beer with a very tasty summery flavor that you could drink in the hot sun for hours. Has a berry, wheat, light taste and mouthfeel that is refreshing. Don't let the rating deceive you, if you are looking for a good summer beer to drink all day you won't be disappointed.

07-09-2013 00:21:42 | More by alaimoa
interkin3tic

American Samoa

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%

I bought this because it was billed as a summer beer. It does taste berry-ish, though I'm not sure I've ever tasted a elderberry to know if that's what I'm tasting. If you've, like me, never had an elderberry, it's an interesting new taste.

Like Magic Hat's number nine, it has a unique taste and is light, but kind of lacks a punch I like in beers. It feels light. It's summer, and I wasn't looking for something really heavy, so perhaps it's more me not knowing what I want.

07-01-2013 02:55:34 | More by interkin3tic
Sludgeman

District of Columbia

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured into a pint glass.

I've had the pleasure (or maybe I should say that I have made the unfortunate decision) to have multiple types of Magic Hat beers over the past few days. Does Magic Hat use the same base beer for everything they brew? It has certainly tasted like that. This beer is not the worst I have had though. It is refreshing, but it is no comparison to other wheat/hefe beers.

A - Pours a slight cloudy golden color. Cloudiness is not the same like a standard hefe. There was no sediment at the bottom of the bottle. A pale white rocky 1-finger head that quickly dissapates. Well carbonated. No lacing.

S - Some fruitness (I suppose it is elderbeery). No estery, banana or clove like aromas.

T - An adjunct flavor. A faint sweetness/fruitiness or maybe I am imaging it since I know the beer uses elderberries. Low hoppiness.

MF - Light bodied with a med-high carbonation.

06-27-2013 00:42:26 | More by Sludgeman
Natainos

4.28/5  rDev +29.3%

A: Poured from the bottle to a goblet, this beer is orangey tan in color. The white foam is average inch it does stick around long enough to give the beer an attractive cover with creay bubbles.

S: Very Berry aroma with notes of wheat and grains.

T: Is fruity and wheat- like, like enjoying a bowl of captian crunch. The taste is full of black & blue berries, with a good wheat backbone... bready and creamy texture. The hop presence is only slight.

M: A nice Cream Ale Weiss, some fizz.

O: Very nice summer brew; ballparks across America need to be serving this. Enjoyed very much.

06-25-2013 23:19:39 | More by Natainos
BryanCarey

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle, this beer has an orange/tan color and a berry- like aroma that has notes of wheat and grains. The white foam is average and it does stick around long enough to give the beer an attractive cover.

The taste of this beer is fruity and wheat- like, and it reminds me of a bowl of cereal with pieces of fresh berries. The taste is like a cross between blueberries and blackberries with a good wheat backbone and creamy texture. The hop presence is only slight, but about what one would expect for thsi style.

Fruit beers are not usually my style, but I do like them when they have real beer character and this fruit beer certainly passes on these and other counts. The fruit character is undeniable, but so is the wheat and bread character in the background, making the beer seem like a fruity dessert or piece of fruit pie. I like it better than many other fruity brews and I find it has enough good qualities to earn a recommendation.

06-21-2013 01:17:16 | More by BryanCarey
HBBJ

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Straw colored and slightly hazy. Pale white head quickly faded, leaving a thin layer of fine foam with just a bit of lacing.

Smell: Moderate bready aroma. Spicy, with a strong smell of berry candy, and a touch of fruity hops.

Taste: Light malt-wheat flavor, with not quite enough berry flavor. Hop flavor and bitterness barely detectable. Refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied, and slightly sour.

Overall: A reasonably well-made wheat beer. Lack of berry color indicates beer had flavor added, as opposed to being brewed with elderberries, and the berry flavor suffered as a result.

06-10-2013 03:41:55 | More by HBBJ
stella77artois

3.45/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap, in pint glass.

A - Light yellow with some haze. Fair amount of carbonation visible. Small, frothy head which dissipated quickly.

S - Not a holw lot going on. The wheat of a hefeweizen. A bit of hops.

T - A decent hefeweizen. Not a whole lot stood out. A little more flavor than similar beers I've tried, which was good. Not sure what elder berry is supposed to taste like, but I didn't notice any type of berry or fruit taste.

F - Refreshing and clean, not dry. Nice and crisp.

O - A decent hefeweizen. This isn't my favorite type of beer, but I feel this is a decent representation of the style. Disappointed though, in the fact that there was no discernable elder berry taste.

06-09-2013 23:51:19 | More by stella77artois
ManekiNeko13

Pours a medium hazy gold, with about 4 finger width of foamy head that lingered for a few minutes. The overwhelming aroma to me is yeast, and that is reflected in the taste as well. I'm picking up mainly mild American beer bitterness, no elder or any other berry. A little banana aroma and finish with a slightly sour aftertaste.

Light carbonation, thinnish mouthfeel.

Overall kind of a disappointment. If I had to relate this to anything, it might be a brioche without the usual sweetness. Might use it for cooking, but probably not much else.

06-05-2013 02:20:37 | More by ManekiNeko13
GossageBrewery

Missouri

3.03/5  rDev -8.5%

Poured this 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a golden orange hazy color, producdd a small white head, below average retention and it little lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of malted grain, nuts and berries. Light in body, smooth mouthfeel, there was a base of cereal grain, hits of berries and a slight bit of tartness.

06-02-2013 23:13:59 | More by GossageBrewery
Stinkypuss

3.26/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Magic Hat : Elder Betty

Pours a hazy golden color, white head with some good staying power. The aroma opens up quite fruity and yeasty, you could say very berry. Tastes of light wild berry flavor, biscuity malt, wheat, clove and a light acidic bitterness. Tart due to the residual acids from the elderberry. In 86 degree heat this tastes pretty good. In a pinch I'd have this again.

06-02-2013 21:03:17 | More by Stinkypuss
apants007

2.65/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

poured it out of a bottle into a pint glass

a: it looks nice enough. like honey. a little cloudy but without much large sediment. sea foam head. nice bubbles.

s: bring it in and you get a nice floral bouquet... like daises in an open field... I'm pretty excited to taste!

t: hmmm... not what i was expecting from the nose... kinda like drinking gatorade at the laundry mat... I think we can actually tie in mouthfeel here... it has the "gummy" feel of gatorade and the "fruit punch" start... then it leaves this weird floral aftertaste that lasts a really long time ... that when left with the gummy mouthfeel tastes like you're standing next to a running dryer with a nice fresh bounce sheet...

overall not poor but a bit unnerving... I frequently like fruit/floral beers. had a smuttynose with chamomile earlier this afternoon that was great and grew up on abita purple haze. but I probably won't go for this one again.

06-01-2013 05:23:06 | More by apants007
braugon

Connecticut

2.13/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A: cloudy orange, gold, one inch, thin head

S: sharp tart fruit, yeast, phenol, berry, gum

T: tastes like some drops of berry flavor syrup, mixed in with any standard domestic beer. Beyond the obvious huckle/elder berry taste, nothing really going on in this beer. I think it's trying to be the berry style of their Number 9, and it is similar.

M: light carbonation, sweet berry, more sweet, finish is like you ate a purple jolly rancher, then drank some beer.

O: this is probably the perfect beer for some who don't normally like beer but enjoy sweet candy-like drinks and alcohol, I think it is too obvious, I like something with more going on. Aftertaste is not balanced at all to me

If you've always wished Schwepps Dry Grape came in beer version, this is your moment.

05-27-2013 19:53:34 | More by braugon
thlayli87

3.43/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Slightly hazy golden color with one finger head. No lacing.

S - Grassy with sweet berry notes.

T - Grassy hops, faint lemon, dry bready finish. Berry flavor is noticeable but not overpowering.

M - Dry, light body.

O - Easy drinking and refreshing. I like that the berry flavor is somewhat subtle and doesn't bash you over the head.

05-26-2013 15:40:06 | More by thlayli87
micromaniac129

This is a beer you'd give your wife at some outdoor barbecue.
And this particular beer tastes more like a grape taffy then a beer.
How many sips does it take to get to the bottom of an Elder Betty beer.... the world may never know.
Like every other fruit beer. Its clear golden with a tiny white soda head.
Aroma grape toosie pops.
Taste grape soda malt beverage.
And so on, and so on...

05-24-2013 11:27:24 | More by micromaniac129
poop_brew

Vermont

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - A 12oz. can...drunk from the can. (3/5)

S - Smells like a cheap watery beer with a hint of wheat & fruit. (3.25/5)

T - Hits your palette with that cheap beer aroma but then finishes with a hint of elderberry. Fresh aftertaste. (3/5)

M - A thin drinkable feel with minor carbonation. (3.5/5)

O - I'd recommend this to anyone looking to drink a portable festival ready/beach beer. It's a little on the pricey side for what it's worth, but it's a cheap beer for classy brew drinkers. (3.25/5)

05-22-2013 01:08:30 | More by poop_brew
Alextricity

3.39/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled April 8th and poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint on May 20th.

Appearance: Interesting label that sort of looks like a tree with eyes and a nose, but then on another glance, it looks like a woman at the trunk. Pretty cool label. Slightly hazy yellow-orange color with a finger of head that dissipates to a simple white ring on top of the beer. No lacing. Looks alright.

Smell: I don't know what elderberry tastes or smells like, but I will say that the aroma has a lot of berry aromas with a slight funk from the yeast.

Taste: Pretty one-dimensional, but enjoyable in spite of that. There's a nice berry flavor, with a slight malt finish -- I don't get much hop flavor to specifically speak of, and little if any bitterness at all. Pretty light and refreshing with a solid carbonation.

A very drinkable and refreshing late spring or summer beer -- it reminds me quite a lot of Samuel Adams Blackberry Witbier, just with a different look and slightly different mouth feel. Pretty average ... not awful.

05-21-2013 00:01:27 | More by Alextricity
Cylinsier

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz

Pours a hazy golden color with a bit of white lacing.

Smells of mild fruity barley malts.

Tastes of mild barley and hints of berry fruitiness with a whisper of dry hop.

Medium body with tingles of carbonation on the tongue.

A pretty enjoyable lighter beer, pairs okay with food and quenches thirst. There is no detectable wheat though, so it's strange that it is a hefe. Tastes nothing like that.

05-19-2013 22:25:02 | More by Cylinsier