Elder Betty - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Jason on 03-28-2012

Elder Betty is a weiss-style ale with a bready malt flavor balanced by a touch of hops and complimented by the tart berry flavors of elderberry.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elder Betty Alström Bros

3.53/5  rDev +7%

The label of the bottle enticed me as I was casually strolling through the supermarket with my love. I was asking what beer to get when suddenly a bright flash of bold contrasting colors attracts the peripheral vision of my spectrum. Alas, I turn my body to see the majestic elder betty staring at me with her magic eyes, drawing me in. Suddenly I find my arm moving itself without even a thought. Elder Betty knows what she wants. She wants my mouth on her, sucking down her juices. Elder Betty knows whats best! The ale is smooth and calms my inner soul. I pour it on my girlfriend's neck and lick it off. Well done Elder Betty, well done.

2.75/5  rDev -16.7%

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dark blonde and cloudy. Soppy foam too is small.

Tangy berry scent crossed with spicy wheat and light citrus. Not picking up any clove. Kind of fruity with elderberry and not a whole lot else.

Drinks with a lighter elderberry presence. Some tangy wheat and yeast esters that seem mostly nutty. Faint banana tries to come through. Citrus is a little bit of orange peel that reveals itself alongside finishing dryness and some herbal hops and bitterness. Not exactly to style.

Too thin and too peppy. Not very rich.

They should change this back to a pale wheat. It would score a little higher.

3.57/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass

This beer pours a nice light orange color with a head that is extremely minimal. It looks very carbonated and is very bubbly. There is a slight haze to the beer. The berries are very evident in the aroma. It is fruit sweet with a hint of alcohol in the nose as well. The aroma is mainly dominated by the fruit smell which I don't usually find all that appealing in beer, but this smells pretty good. The flavor is, as the smell is, very fruit driven. It starts out sweet and finishes with just a hint of bitterness for a balance somewhat, but it is still quite sweet. This actually tastes fairly good for a fruit beer. It is very smooth in the mouth and the flavor is a pretty good thirst quencher for summer. The MF is a lighter, thin bodied brew.

I usually don't care for fruit beers, or Magic Hat for that matter, but I totally thought that this was pretty good stuff. I would most certainly drink this again but I doubt that I would ever want a whole case of it. My brother bought this mix pack and left it at my house, so I will certainly drink it for free.

3.15/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is an interesting beer with a very tasty summery flavor that you could drink in the hot sun for hours. Has a berry, wheat, light taste and mouthfeel that is refreshing. Don't let the rating deceive you, if you are looking for a good summer beer to drink all day you won't be disappointed.

Elder Betty from Magic Hat Brewing Company