Elder Betty - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Elder Betty is a weiss-style ale with a bready malt flavor balanced by a touch of hops and complimented by the tart berry flavors of elderberry.

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-28-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Elder Betty Alström Bros
david131

2.43/5  rDev -26.4%

A- Pours a hazy light orange liquid with a thin but creamy white head. Simple.

S- Uh... All I can smell is a very potent medicinal cough medicine. Not intriguing.

T- Medicinal berry flavor along with some bread. Not too potent or off-putting, but I wouldn't put it in the "good" category.

M- A creamy body with some nice carbonation. Probably the best thing the beer has going for it.

O- The medicinal flavor is not nearly as annoying as the aroma lead me to believe. That being said, it is still a very average beer.

07-05-2012 04:07:56 | More by david131

nitter

07-02-2012 12:49:32 | More by nitter
Jesse13713

2.98/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance - Not a bad looking beer at all. One finger of head that leaves a nice, thicker residue on the surface. Musty brown/orange amber that looks quite sweet. This doesnt look like any Hefeweizen I've ever had before, so I am assuming that the darker amber colors are coming from the elderberries. Lacing is impressive, something I'm used to from a Hefe, but not from Magic Hat.

Smell - Smells like a fresh grapevine. Light notes of berries. I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I think these are the types of berries that I used to pick when I was younger. The smell brings back fond memories for me, so I am naturally drawn to the lighter smell of berries.

Taste - At first, Magic Hat once again lets me down in the taste department. I came into this beer review not expecting much, but the appearance and smell really got my hopes up that Magic Hat was going to redeem themselves for me. Sadly, this beer has no body to it whatsoever. The taste of elderberries is most prominent. A grapey, sugary, lightly fizzy beverage. These are most certainly the berries I used to pick when I was younger. As I continue drinking, the taste of elderberries become increasingly stronger. Soon, every drink tastes of sweet, freshly picked berries; almost like I'm a kid again - washing them under the sink faucet and sneaking a few tastes.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability - I am very torn with this beer. I want to give it a bad rap, but it's overwhelming elderberry taste reminds me too much of my childhood days. Back then, I never thought I'd be having this berry in the form of a beer. My main complaint is that this beer has no body to it whatsoever. It is very watery, with the sweetness and viney grapey flavors being the only qualities that draw me in. Malt is non-existent, as is any form of hops. Carbonation is light, and I suppose there is a bit of bitterness that dances on the tongue if you let the beer sit long enough.

To be clear, I enjoy this beer strictly for the taste of the elderberries. It is well-balanced, but seriously lacking in the hops and malt departments.

07-02-2012 04:26:38 | More by Jesse13713
chefhatt

3.85/5  rDev +16.7%

I poured this beer into a pint glass, it has a nice straw gold color body with a small fizzy white head that doesn't hang around for long. The smell is kinda fruity with some wheat notes lingerling around. The taste defently has a nice wheat/malt and fruit flavor balanced out real nice. The berry flavor is nice on the back of the tongue. The mouth feel is really nice and overall a nice and different take on a hefeweizn.

07-02-2012 02:53:23 | More by chefhatt
blazinworm

07-01-2012 08:17:45 | More by blazinworm
BedetheVenerable

Missouri

3.65/5  rDev +10.6%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top, nice label...never really been wowed by MH...let's see if this changes things...into a 16oz pint glass

Appearance: Somewhat hazy dark straw gold w/hints of orange...nice white cap with decent retention.

Smell: Really pleasantly fruity. This sounds stupid, but it reminds me strongly of a fruity pancake syrup I remember having years ago at somewhere like Ihop...boysenberry, perhaps? Sweet, maple, and berry-fruity, with a touch of wheat tartness w/swirling. Odd, but nice.

Taste: Nice grainy malt/wheat backbone, but with none of the traditional yeast-derived German hefeweizen flavors...mild wheat tartness, however. Nice fruity/berry flavors...I can't say it tastes like elderberries because I have no idea what they taste like, but this is nice. Medium bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, nice feel

Overall: One of the better beers I've had from MH by far...this would be a nice summer brew now and again. Not something I'd buy regularly, but definitely an interesting/worthwhile take on the 'fruity summer beer' theme.

B

4.25/5  rDev +28.8%

07-01-2012 00:24:16 | More by AleGal79
twiggamortis420

3.45/5  rDev +4.5%

This must be the official beer of the French soldiers in The Holy Grail, eh? 12 oz bottle pours a hazed gold color with a decent cap of white head. Modest retention and lace. I must say, I do like the label on this one.

Nose has a nice flash of berry-like fruitiness to go with a soft wheat and yeast background. I actually like the smell of this beer, it seems to flow nicely from one component to the next.

Taste is not half bad. The added fruit flavors throw a nice little curveball in there and kind of cover for the lackluster hefe background. Id say this is more of a fruit beer than a Hefeweizen, and more of an American Wheat for a background at that. It keeps the hops at a minimum to avoid any clashing with the fruitiness. I wont be rushing out to the store to buy more, but actually makes for a good summertime quencher and should be liked by fans of fruity wheat beers.

06-30-2012 17:55:23 | More by twiggamortis420
GreatPumpkin

06-30-2012 12:16:56 | More by GreatPumpkin
notjaredlouche

06-30-2012 07:57:06 | More by notjaredlouche
berliner07

New Hampshire

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

I wss really excited about this one. An elderberry beer. Great idea. Also, great packaging. Poured a pretty non-descript color. Not too interesting in the aroma. The elderberry shows up in the taste, but not too interesting. Light and refreshing, but nothing too complex here.

06-29-2012 12:45:07 | More by berliner07
SuperBub

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

06-29-2012 02:16:09 | More by SuperBub
RickS95

Indiana

3.25/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours a cloudy, milky golden color. Very opaque and hazy. The head is a soft white pillow of mostly tiny bubbles. Looks like foam. Good retention.

Smells of tangy wheat with a slight berriness. I couldn't pick up any malt nor could I find any hop presence.

There are good flavors there, they just aren't pronounced. Again, tangy wheat and a berry flavor are present, just not enough of either to stand out.

Can't stress enough, there's potential, it just lacks execution. Feels too watered down, simply no backbone. There is a certain creaminess to it, but no hop bitterness, just a slight twang from the wheat, with a touch of sweetness in the finish.

It's easy to drink, but lacks panache. There's nothing offensive and the alcohol is moderate at best so you can pound them if you want. I prefer to sip and overall, this is a bit weak all-round.

06-29-2012 01:35:16 | More by RickS95
Treyliff

West Virginia

3.23/5  rDev -2.1%

A- goldish-orange in color With a bit of a haze, small head, no lacing.

S- Berries, grains, wheat, very fruity.

T- Wheat and artificial berries. A bit of yeast and light hop bitterness at the end.

M- smooth and light bodied, medium carbonation,

O- I can see the intent with this one, but the berry taste came across artificial to me. Wouldn't be bad on a hot summer day but I can think of better options.

06-28-2012 21:09:44 | More by Treyliff

06-26-2012 22:39:00 | More by andrewj17
deadonhisfeet

Kentucky

3.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium tulip. The pour is a hazy, almost murky orange with a thin head. Very weissbier-like nose with hints of apple, clove, and orange. Not getting any berry notes on the nose.

The beer is light bodied with a (proper) soft mouthfeel. Nice sweet wheaty flavors hit you up front and are joined by traditional banana and clove notes. Right at mid-palate, I do get just a hint of berry and it adds a nice tart complement to the weissbier flavors. The finish is neither dry nor spectacular, but the beer is easy drinking and extremely refreshing.

This is a fantastic weissbier that all fans of the style should try. The use of elderberries is not overdone at all. Rather, there is just enough to complement the traditional flavors.

06-26-2012 18:59:46 | More by deadonhisfeet