Pistil - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Stop and smell the petals Pistil is a summer beer unlike any other, brewed with a combination of dandelion petals, Pale and Acidulated malts, flaked oats, and Apollo and Northern Brewer hops that results in a one-of-a-kind beer with a slightly sour acidity and a smooth malt body. Perfect for taking down deep thirst.

(Beer added by: shand on 04-16-2012)
View: Beers (38) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pistil Alström Bros
CountryRock2001

03-17-2013 20:33:23 | More by CountryRock2001
ESeab

03-17-2013 00:08:41 | More by ESeab
raznug

3.68/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance: Pistil pours a slightly hazy pale golden color and is topped with ½” of white colored head.
Smell: This beer smells of malt aroma and yeast not sure of the style but an interesting aroma.
Taste: The taste of this beer is a little interesting it has a bitterness to it that I don’t think comes from the hops, but otherwise is a very tasty brew.
Mouthfeel: Pistil is a medium bodied beer that is still easy to drink with good taste.

03-16-2013 17:53:48 | More by raznug
woodychandler

3.68/5  rDev +13.6%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, dropped this off as part of a big box o' beer recently and I have been having a good time sifting through them and trying to theme styles and tastes rather than just pulling bottles out randomly and opening them. Rest assured, I will open and review all of them and then The CANQuest (TM) will get back on its feet toot sweet.

From the trippy, groovy label, man: "stop and smell the petals"; "The ancient ritual of brewing a distinctly rich and flavorful beer is a performance to behold. Our mysterious melange of time-honored ingredients harmonize with chaotic chemistry, humble patience and blind faith to create this unique beer to share in the rousing company of kindred spirits. Cheers!"; "a performance in every bottle". Dig it, baby!

My pour blossomed into a fluffy finger of bone-white pollen until it was borne away on the wind. Color was dandy, lion-yellow with a haze of suspended particulate in evidence. Nose had an earthy, grassy smell and I began to consider boiling it down into something that I could put in a pipe and smoke. Mouthfeel was medium and it had an initial, unexpected tartness that gave way to a grassy flavor, like freshly-mown grass. Interesting. Unibroue makes "Ephemere", pronounced "Ay-fem-er-ay" and the finish on this one was ephemeral. I found myself wondering if I had even had a sip until I saw the lacing in the glass. Just like for the lotus-eaters, time was passing me by like nothing. There may be a subtle message in there - stay away from some types of plant matter, man. Wow, this was such a smooth drink that it seemed to evaporate out of my glass as I simply could not have drank it that quickly. I am definitely buying some more for use this summer. Next up in the series of nine beers: Peduncle; Receptacle; Sepal; Petal; Stamen; Anther; Stigma & Ovary (the last one subject to FDA approval).

03-16-2013 17:10:06 | More by woodychandler

odbjs735

03-15-2013 06:57:09 | More by odbjs735
dogfishandi

3.39/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy light golden - straw yellow color, a bit of fine sediment. A good looking tight white head with good retention, and decent lacing. A good amount of rising carbonation bubbles.

Familiar aromas of basic pale grain, almost macro lager like with maybe a hint of minerals. Just the slightest floral/ herbal thing going on, possibly from the hops and as it warms a fresh cut grass aroma is apparent.

The taste is slightly better than the aroma suggests. Sweet bready pale grain gives way to a kind of sweet tart hop, reminds me of some sort of old candy I can't quite name. A bit of lemongrass, fresh cut grass. A slight, but noticeable tartness. Finishes with a bit of hop bitterness as well.

Refreshing and light bodied. Maybe a touch on the bland but still somewhat enjoyable.

Really just another non offensive beer that any kind of beer drinker will be able to put down. Not something I'd ever buy, but I see how a few of these would work on a hot day.

03-14-2013 19:18:52 | More by dogfishandi

03-14-2013 00:29:32 | More by JimmyCop
NeroFiddled

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Magic Hat Pistil
12 oz. bottle, coded "AO3361 1304 1651"

So what is Magic Hat's Pistil? I thought it was just a floral IPA, but it's certainly not hoppy or bitter enough. It is quite floral though, clearly reflecting the name. Ah, the label reads "ALE BREWED WITH DANDELION". Well that's fairly unique. I'd heard of dandelion wine as a kid (it was something my older neighbors made at home), but I've never heard of it in a beer. Or have I? Let me look it up. Ah, yes. Apparently it's not that unique, but it's still interesting. I also note that it's just 4.5% ABV. Perhaps this is a spring beer. Check, the Magic Hat website confirms it. OK, let's take a closer look: Hazy yellow-gold body beneath a pillowy white head. Slightly better than average retention and lacing. Floral nose as mentioned. A little bit of golden malt sneaks through as well. Nice. In the mouth it's light bodied and moderately crisp. Appropriate for what they're doing here. The flavor is not as floral as the aroma suggests, implying to me that it's actual dandelions and not just hops giving it that brightness in the nose (I also get an occasional light note of chlorophyll as well, which backs that up). There's a light tartness to it, which is refreshing; and which also seems to give me more of a floral impression (unless I'm just succumbing to the power of suggestion). It's not very bitter... maybe in the 20's, and it finishes quite dry with the flavor almost vanishing. That's OK though, that works. It's a light bodied and lower alcohol spring beer that's very refreshing, and I don't really need it to linger in the mouth. There's enough charm to the floral / dandelion aspect of it that it's interesting, and thankfully not overdone. I can imagine drinking a few of these in a row. Would I buy it again? Sure. I'd enjoy a pint of this at the pub as my first beer, and I think it would be a good beer to take to a party (I'm pretty sure women would like it). Would I recommend it? Certainly to try. It may not be the only dandelion beer available (does Fantome still brew Pissenlit?), but it's still unique.

03-13-2013 22:00:20 | More by NeroFiddled
mcewesr

03-13-2013 17:27:02 | More by mcewesr
dragoondingus

03-11-2013 23:27:49 | More by dragoondingus
KTCamm

3.46/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a shaker pint glass at Bobby Qs in westport CT.

Clear light gold, some white foam. Transparent for sure, and not much lacing. Light floral aroma, pleasing, but not in a significant kind of way. Just good. Taste is a clean crisp, very light blonde ale taste, small fruitiness. Simple and subdued. Goes down smoothly. Sounds like they did a lot of tinkering here, but the end result is something mellow and lighter flavor.

03-10-2013 22:10:42 | More by KTCamm

03-07-2013 13:13:03 | More by ZPB
mattkoon

South Carolina

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

dandelion beer... i had to try this. its light and slightly cloudy, white head. smell is ok, i cant smell anything odd or cool or unusual. it tastes crisp and bitter... there is an odd bitterness.. that i can only assume is the dandelions... i havnt ever eatin dandelions so i cant be sure... i do like the willingness to experiment. and over all this isnt a bad beer. i applaud the efforts. i think this beer is ok. nothing really out of the park but the effort to do something unusual gets a lot of points.

03-07-2013 05:22:00 | More by mattkoon
StoutHunter

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%

I picked up a six pack of Magic Hat's Pistil a couple weeks ago for $8.69 at Meijers. I find Magic Hat to be pretty hit or miss, but dandelions seems like such an odd ingredient to brew a beer with that I just had to give it a try to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks very nice, it has a cool late 60's psychedelic look to it and it's pretty eye catching. It poured a fairly hazy yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with three and a half fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick ring with some lumps in the middle that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight floral honey aroma to it and was followed by some bready and grainy malt aromas. After that comes a slight yeast aroma followed by an earthy and pretty big floral aromas along with some lemon grass aromas really sticking out and mixing well with the floral aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, I didn't get any straight up dandelion aromas but the floral and lemon grass aromas were a little similar to that, I liked how floral it is, it almost smells like a really floral Saison.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma but also lighter. It started off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by some grainy and bready malts that are on the lighter side along with some peppery yeast. Up next comes some big grassy and floral flavors with a nice lemon rind flavors to round things off. On the finish there's a lower amount of bitterness with a bready, grassy, and floral aftertaste. This beer had a nice taste to it, the taste didn't scream dandelions, but the grassy and floral flavors seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma of a dandelion, I like it.

M- Smooth, creamy, refreshing, dry finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a nice amount of slightly lighter medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but I could have gone without out the creaminess.

Overall I thought this was nice beer and a good example of the style, it wasn't full of dead on dandelion flavors but the earthy, floral, and lemongrass aspects reminded me of them. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, refreshing, and the flavors held my attention nicely, this would be a great warm weather beer and I could see drinking a few of these while enjoying a warm day in late spring, the refreshing flavors would really work nicely during the warmer months. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance they were both good and I like the complexity in the aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the creaminess in the mouthfeel, it just seemed unnecessary and out of place. I would buy a six pack of this beer again when it starts to get warmer outside, I think it would make for a nice beer to enjoy while playing some disc golf. and I would recommend this to anyone who likes floral beers. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it, the dandelions worked out better than I thought they would and while they didn't provide any exact dandelion flavors, it did impart some flavors that reminded me of smelling the dandelions bloom in the spring time. Magic Hat seems to be stepping their game up, Heart of Darkness and this beer have both been better than I expected and they give me hope that one day I will find a Magic Hat beer that I really like. Good work guys, I would have never thought to brew a beer with dandelions, and while this wasn't a smash hit it sure wasn't a failure by any means and I enjoyed drinking it, it takes some out of the box thinking and creativity to come up with a beer like this and I applaud that.

03-07-2013 04:51:42 | More by StoutHunter