Pistil - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

Stop and smell the petals Pistil is a summer beer unlike any other, brewed with a combination of dandelion petals, Pale and Acidulated malts, flaked oats, and Apollo and Northern Brewer hops that results in a one-of-a-kind beer with a slightly sour acidity and a smooth malt body. Perfect for taking down deep thirst.

(Beer added by: shand on 04-16-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pistil Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I rarely buy Magic Hat but I became nostalgic after seeing the spring variety pack.

Pistil pours a cloudy whitish-blond with a nice white head into my glass. The label doesn't divulge much, except that this ale was brewed with dandelions.

Light, fluffy and flowery aroma greets the nose. A touch of citrus peeks out too. Apollo and Northern Brewer hops add some, if not much depth to the malt bill.

It's very flowery. The flaked and acidulated malts add a fluff, buttery texture. The house yeast is too obvious and immediately, my palate screams "No.9!" I wouldn't call that a good thing.

Lingering floweriness and buttery texture from the malts. Again, the house yeast rears its' head at the back of the tongue.

A bit of a suggestion: Don't use the same yeast for every single beer. It ruins what could otherwise be a well down spring seasonal. It's still perfectly drinkable but if you're not a fan of "sameness", steer clear.

3.88/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy yellow with a frothy white head that sticks around for awhile. The smell is sweet, malty, with some yeast and floral notes. It has a nice sweet background that is harder to describe but like the smell of a nice summer night. Taste is not nearly as sweet as the smell would have indicated, the flavor starts malty but moves into a unique bitterness, that does not taste like hops. I can only assume this is from the dandelion as this is my first dandelion beer. The bitter sticks around through the aftertaste, and gets stronger, almost to the point of a lip smacking bitter. The mouthfeel is nice a crisp light beer, smooth and easy to drink. If the bottle didn't display the dandelion I would have had a hard time guessing that one. No overpowering flavors, a nice enjoyable beer, overall it is well done.

3.79/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On-tap 3/15/2013 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a large foamy white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains citrus, hops and light caramelized malts.

T: The taste starts out bready with a hearty but not too heavy malt character. Then some mild citrus and caramel sweetness comes in. The hops presence is mild but complementary but brings some balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, mild kick, decent representation of style, for a beer that is supposed to be different it seemed pretty average to me and there wasn’t anything that really stood out.

3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

Appearance: Pistil pours a slightly hazy pale golden color and is topped with ½” of white colored head.
Smell: This beer smells of malt aroma and yeast not sure of the style but an interesting aroma.
Taste: The taste of this beer is a little interesting it has a bitterness to it that I don’t think comes from the hops, but otherwise is a very tasty brew.
Mouthfeel: Pistil is a medium bodied beer that is still easy to drink with good taste.

3.68/5  rDev +13.9%

My local, in-person trader, tone77, dropped this off as part of a big box o' beer recently and I have been having a good time sifting through them and trying to theme styles and tastes rather than just pulling bottles out randomly and opening them. Rest assured, I will open and review all of them and then The CANQuest (TM) will get back on its feet toot sweet.

From the trippy, groovy label, man: "stop and smell the petals"; "The ancient ritual of brewing a distinctly rich and flavorful beer is a performance to behold. Our mysterious melange of time-honored ingredients harmonize with chaotic chemistry, humble patience and blind faith to create this unique beer to share in the rousing company of kindred spirits. Cheers!"; "a performance in every bottle". Dig it, baby!

My pour blossomed into a fluffy finger of bone-white pollen until it was borne away on the wind. Color was dandy, lion-yellow with a haze of suspended particulate in evidence. Nose had an earthy, grassy smell and I began to consider boiling it down into something that I could put in a pipe and smoke. Mouthfeel was medium and it had an initial, unexpected tartness that gave way to a grassy flavor, like freshly-mown grass. Interesting. Unibroue makes "Ephemere", pronounced "Ay-fem-er-ay" and the finish on this one was ephemeral. I found myself wondering if I had even had a sip until I saw the lacing in the glass. Just like for the lotus-eaters, time was passing me by like nothing. There may be a subtle message in there - stay away from some types of plant matter, man. Wow, this was such a smooth drink that it seemed to evaporate out of my glass as I simply could not have drank it that quickly. I am definitely buying some more for use this summer. Next up in the series of nine beers: Peduncle; Receptacle; Sepal; Petal; Stamen; Anther; Stigma & Ovary (the last one subject to FDA approval).

3.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter.

Pours a hazy light golden - straw yellow color, a bit of fine sediment. A good looking tight white head with good retention, and decent lacing. A good amount of rising carbonation bubbles.

Familiar aromas of basic pale grain, almost macro lager like with maybe a hint of minerals. Just the slightest floral/ herbal thing going on, possibly from the hops and as it warms a fresh cut grass aroma is apparent.

The taste is slightly better than the aroma suggests. Sweet bready pale grain gives way to a kind of sweet tart hop, reminds me of some sort of old candy I can't quite name. A bit of lemongrass, fresh cut grass. A slight, but noticeable tartness. Finishes with a bit of hop bitterness as well.

Refreshing and light bodied. Maybe a touch on the bland but still somewhat enjoyable.

Really just another non offensive beer that any kind of beer drinker will be able to put down. Not something I'd ever buy, but I see how a few of these would work on a hot day.

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

1.5/5  rDev -53.6%

3.88/5  rDev +20.1%

Magic Hat Pistil
12 oz. bottle, coded "AO3361 1304 1651"

So what is Magic Hat's Pistil? I thought it was just a floral IPA, but it's certainly not hoppy or bitter enough. It is quite floral though, clearly reflecting the name. Ah, the label reads "ALE BREWED WITH DANDELION". Well that's fairly unique. I'd heard of dandelion wine as a kid (it was something my older neighbors made at home), but I've never heard of it in a beer. Or have I? Let me look it up. Ah, yes. Apparently it's not that unique, but it's still interesting. I also note that it's just 4.5% ABV. Perhaps this is a spring beer. Check, the Magic Hat website confirms it. OK, let's take a closer look: Hazy yellow-gold body beneath a pillowy white head. Slightly better than average retention and lacing. Floral nose as mentioned. A little bit of golden malt sneaks through as well. Nice. In the mouth it's light bodied and moderately crisp. Appropriate for what they're doing here. The flavor is not as floral as the aroma suggests, implying to me that it's actual dandelions and not just hops giving it that brightness in the nose (I also get an occasional light note of chlorophyll as well, which backs that up). There's a light tartness to it, which is refreshing; and which also seems to give me more of a floral impression (unless I'm just succumbing to the power of suggestion). It's not very bitter... maybe in the 20's, and it finishes quite dry with the flavor almost vanishing. That's OK though, that works. It's a light bodied and lower alcohol spring beer that's very refreshing, and I don't really need it to linger in the mouth. There's enough charm to the floral / dandelion aspect of it that it's interesting, and thankfully not overdone. I can imagine drinking a few of these in a row. Would I buy it again? Sure. I'd enjoy a pint of this at the pub as my first beer, and I think it would be a good beer to take to a party (I'm pretty sure women would like it). Would I recommend it? Certainly to try. It may not be the only dandelion beer available (does Fantome still brew Pissenlit?), but it's still unique.

3.46/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a shaker pint glass at Bobby Qs in westport CT.

Clear light gold, some white foam. Transparent for sure, and not much lacing. Light floral aroma, pleasing, but not in a significant kind of way. Just good. Taste is a clean crisp, very light blonde ale taste, small fruitiness. Simple and subdued. Goes down smoothly. Sounds like they did a lot of tinkering here, but the end result is something mellow and lighter flavor.

Pistil from Magic Hat Brewing Company