HICu - Magic Hat Brewing Company

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 209 | Reviews: 35
Reviews by wingman14:
2.23/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.25

Pours a dark yellow beer with a frothy white head. Smell is strong cucumber and hibiscus with some malt. The most odd concoction I've ever smelled. Taste is similar, strong cucumber up front, with the smooth hibiscus finish. Tastes like a fresh salad in beer form. Not the most pleasant flavors, and it didn't grow on my palette. Good mouthfeel and carbonation, the beer was done well, the flavors just were not enjoyable. Overall the beer is done well, with different flavors. I won't be trying this beer again.

2.69/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date. "Natural Flavors Added" worries me.

Good looking head, hazed copper hue. Medicinal or botanical cucumber aroma, reminds me of soap or perfume ... not much else to the nose. Very smooth, dryish moderate sized body. Very tame hibiscus that gets steamrolled by the cucumber flavor, which again tastes soapy to me. Some beer-ish flavors come out, mainly a light graininess.

Extreme ... yes, drinkable ... no. Great idea but it lacks execution here and perhaps cucumber just does not work in beer. We'll chalk this up with a good effort in experimenting similar to their rosemary garlic ale they did years back.

3.16/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Starts off well but finishes very bitter. Could be really good with some tweaking.

3.85/5  rDev +50.4%

Magic Hat HICU
That's an copper ale wit hibiscus cucumber ale a light pale almost melon like vibe aroma has flowery fruit note that actually works....flavor gives off a cucumber flush hibiscus note that just works eady going ale very good stuff! The first fruit vegetable beer I've liked.

1.31/5  rDev -48.8%

More low grade perfume than libation. Like using a Magic Tree air freshener as a tea bag. Almost as if a sub par beer was finished by straining it through a Garden Center planter at whatever crappy box store it was purchased at. Throw in a fetal stage pickle wedge and Wa-La! Straight butt!

3.33/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light copper color with an off white head that settles into a light cap.

The aroma has a big cucumber scent, very fresh. This is mixed with the floral hibiscus. The malt is neutral and there is that brown sugar like yeast scent that is in all magic hat brews.

The taste is of a tea like malt with a light lemon twang. Big cucumber flavor that provides a fresh flavor. The hibiscus is noticeable and provides a floral and bitter not. Not very deep in flavor but refreshing.

The feel is light and the carbonation is airy. Lightly sweet on the palate and finishes with a dry bitterness.

A decent brew. Not very exciting but I like cucumber though it may be a bit strong.

2.44/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

A: Pumpkin orange pour shows up a deep, dense, bengal orange in the vessel with a lively carbonation factor. The head is 3+ fingers in height, antique white in color, with a foamy nature and rock steady retention rate. Loads of thick sponge film lacing.

S: Sweet cucumber-citrus, green melon, sweet berry fruitiness, perhaps from the yeast, and sweet rose water. The hibiscus flower comes through nicely, fresh, with a pale lemon grain fade.

T: Flavor didnt translate as well as aroma did. Not as sweet or pleasant, a bit soapy, cucumber, soapy sweet rose hibiscus flower, wheat, and watermelon. Tastes like a hibiscus air freshner, rose water, turning tangerine.

M: Mouthful was a bit washy, carbonation not as lively as visible presentation, light bodied, lifeless and ordinary.

O: Overall after a promising start visually, and aromatically, this dropped off a cliff where it mattered most. Feels washy, soapy, perhaps due more to brewing technique, didnt mind the cucumber aspect, just was washy, soapy, and flavor didnt translate. avoid.

3.61/5  rDev +41%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer at Shanty Town Pub out of a variety pack.

Unfortunately it was a little chilly out because this would be perfect for summer heat. There is a huge hit of cucumber in both the smell and taste. The hibiscus came out a little once poured into a pint glass, but not super evident.

Overall it is an alright beer, but as a novelty it is awesome.

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Part of the Magic Hat summer sampler mixed twelve pack. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy soapy looking white head on top of a burnt orange colored body. Nice strands of thin lacing. Has almost an IPA like appearance to it.

S - Smell is of fresh juicy cucumber all right. Unlike any beer I have ever smelled before. Some light floral notes from the hibiscus. Some mild lemon or orange citrus qualities to it also. A very unique smelling beer.

T - Again, authentic watery cucumber, floral hibiscus, and some light bitter hop presence. Unlike any beer I've tasted before also.

M - Feel is lightly bitter from the mild hops but is mostly refreshing.

Overall, a job well done from Magic Hat on this one. My favorite beer out of the four in the summer sampler mixed twelve pack, and quite possibly my favorite beer from Magic Hat Brewing Co. to date. Light refreshing, juicy, fruity / vegetal, & unique. I can see where some people might be put off by this beer, but this is definitely a brew I plan to have again.

Magic Hat HICu ---4/5.

2.84/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Well I only got a 1/4 inch of head that fizzes out to a mild lace ring, Color is a light copper brown.
S - Very weird it smells of fresh cut watermelon, Cucumber flesh, and skins, with a mild bit of tea leaves.
T - Man I kind of wish this was a watermelon ale because that's what I got at first, juicy refreshing crisp watermelon. Then the cucumber kicks in and it gets weird very earthy, vegital but the finish is just disgusting. Has a sort of wheat mixed with tea leaves thing that leaves the mouth bitter and dry. Experimentally odd.
M - Has session capabilities but I could barely handle one.

Overall this beer takes the cake for the weirdest beer I drank this year, that is if it even counts as beer since I got very little malt or hop flavor. If you love watermelon and cucumbers this could be your new favorite beer but for me it was interesting enough for the $1.50 single.

1.36/5  rDev -46.9%

Orange colored beer with a small white colored head.

Smell is cucumber, hibiscus and strong tea.
Tastes like the smell in a horrible way. No three flavors could combine to make a concoction this foul. Worst beer I have tasted since Super Brew 15. Foul stuff!

Mouthfeel is water.

Overall Good God does this suck! So bad that is will cause you mental scars. Don’t buy this or put it in your mouth.

4.21/5  rDev +64.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

For better or for worse (depending on how you feel), this beer is a product of the Magic Hat that really opened my eyes when I started drinking craft, not the more recent Magic Hat of the last year or two that's pumped out safe beer after safe beer. HiCu is a weird beer. Now, I love cucumber in my booze. I love a good Hendrick's gin and tonic, and yes, I'll garnish it with a cucumber. So, this is in my wheelhouse, because this guy opens up with an absolute assault of cucumber aroma. There's a bit of floral tones in there too, but this is a cucumber bomb. Never thought I'd be writing the words "cucumber bomb" about a beer, but here we go.

The taste is also super cucumber-y, with some floral tastes, and some citrus hops and caramel malts that peek in and out of the cucumber. The mouthfeel is crisp and well-carbonated, and the drinkability is pretty good, but it's a one and done for the night for sure. Overall, I'm pretty sure I'll be the highest scorer for HiCu on here. It's really what it says. It's a cucumber beer, through and through. If you go through lots of Hendricks gin, this might be right up your alley too. Really, it's the first beer that encompasses Magic Hat's bizarre style in quite some time, so for that alone I'm glad.

3.53/5  rDev +37.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours deep amber with a lasting thick head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of cucumber with salt and vinegar.

The taste is the same. Very little floral touch in the finish. The finish lingers.

The feel is fine. Medium body with medium carbonation. Goes down pretty smoothly.

I gave this a higher score than I liked to, but they tried to make a beer that smells and tastes like a cucumber, and they succeeded.

3.07/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance - pours a clear, light amber with a frothy white head two fingers that lasts only seconds

Smell - high fruit aromas of cucumber. bitter smelling that seems to be coming stickily from the cucumbers and not hops. Hint of floral (hibiscus).

Taste - intense cucumbers dominate the palate with very, very little resemblance of beer. No malts, very little yeast, and very little hop finish. Tangy, floral aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - extremely low carbonation, with a semi-dry feeling.

Overall - not much of a beer flavor. Tastes almost identical to water with a cucumber inside it. Has a summer feeling, but way too much fruit flavor for my liking.

3.19/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served in an Ohio State shaker pint glass.

I don't think that's how you spell that particular form of poetry, but it's been a while, so I could be wrong... Anyway, this stuff pours a clear sunrise amber topped by a finger of dirty-white foam. The nose comprises cucumber, sweet flowers, and very light biscuit. The taste brings in more of the same, with an increased bit of cucumber and some funky rice tossed in for good measure. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick-ish feel. Overall, an okay little flavored brew, but there are times when the cucumber and flowers (pretty much the only flavors involved) can be a bit much at times, leading to an experience that fluctuates too much for my liking.

2.75/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

a: Pretty reddish-amber with a fine persistent head.

s: whoa cucumbers! And a little bit of something perfumey that I guess is supposed to be the hibiscus. At first this was pleasant, but as the beer warmed it became reminiscent of some kind of hair treatment.

t: cucumber smell without cucumber taste. Dimensionless and unpleasantly bitter.

m: I wasn't really paying attention.

o: I'll avoid this one in future. Is this an attempt at making a "girly" beer that doesn't have berries or something in it? I'm not sure, but it fell flat with this girly. It also fell flat with my husband, who will normally drink anything I bring home in terms of weird craft beers but will also drink cheap domestic tall cans. After we'd each tried a HiCu we had this conversation that has never happened before and never will again, because he'll drink anything twice:

Him: There's a pale ale and an elderberry in the fridge. Which do you want?
Me: Isn't there also a cucumber? You didn't like that either, huh?
Him: ... not really.

2.34/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bottle poured into a pint glass

The beer is a rich copper color with a nice head that lingers. The beer looks good. It looks like your average copper colored brew with a nice rich and malty flavor. The aroma reminds me of watermelon or strawberry chewing gum (think Bubbalicious) or a hard candy. No real beer aromas are present in the nose. That is an interesting thing, but i certainly wouldn't call it a good thing. It does smell somewhat enticing, but I want beer dammit. The taste is, well, near horrid. This is one of the strangest and least desirable tasting beers I have ever had. It is very bitter on the end, but not in a good way, and has a strange funky flavor that lingers in your mouth. It feels somewhat strange on the tongue as well.

I can drink any beer. Whether it is as lowly as Genny or Lion's Head or as mighty as Rochefort, Chimay, or something like a Surly Furious. This just isn't doing it for me. It tastes so funky and not in a good way. This is by no means satisfying, but it isn't undrinkable either. I would personally never spend a dime on this product though. Thank god it is free to me and that somebody bought it so Magic Hat can keep making these strange beers.

1.56/5  rDev -39.1%

For me this is the worst beer I ever tasted. Yes, it has more character than a Bud, but it is just plain undrinkable. The smell is weird, and then the taste. At first it's just surprising and strange, but soon the bitter cucumber taste kicks in, and you'll feel obliged to just poor it down the sink. I love to taste new beers, and I always empty my glass. Not this time though, plain impossible. I like the aroma of hibiscus and enjoy hibiscus tea. I love the freshness of cucumber in the summer, but this beer has captured none of the good things of the flower nor the veggie.

I'm really surprised that Magic Hat released this awfulness. Certainly will make me avoid other Magic Hat stuff.

2.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Purchased as part as summer sampler. Wish there were less than 3 bottles. Drank out of a bottle

S- smells like a cucumber
T- Tastes like you are a drinking a cucumber sushi roll
M- Light beer
O- I felt like I was drinking a cucumber roll. That is something I'm not looking to drink. I'm not sure what hibiscus would taste like. Maybe Magic Hat did this well, but drinking this I don't think cucumber or hibiscus should be associated with beer. Even my girlfriend didn't like it.

3.6/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this -enjoyed chilled from a sampler glass.

The color is deep amber with light haze an thin white cap with fine bead, retention is ordinary. The smell has a vegetal aroma which I guess can be related to cucumber -it is light with mild sweet scent ,but in general nothing offensive or outstanding, just mild. The feel is good with a refreshing light aspect with moderate carbonation and generally clean profile.

The flavor is unique which is what I expected since it is the first cucumber beer I have ever tried - it does have cucumber in the taste but fresh and slightly sweet, not very vegetal or even -pickle-like. I don't get a lot of hibiscus in the taste but it does have a floral tinge which is mellow and pleasant. Overall I don't get the hate for this unless you despise cucumbers or just think the concept is an abomination but it really isn't that bad and has a sort of refreshing drinkability.

2.87/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours an amber color with half a fingers worth of head that slowly fades to nothing

S: Quite fruity and citrusy with cucumber and hibiscus in the background. Seems fairly sweet

T: Starts off with a sweet maltiness and then goes into the cucumber with a bit of citrus and fruitiness to accompany it. Finishes with notes of hibiscus and a light bitterness

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

O: Another odd brew from Magic Hat. I like their creativity, but sometimes it goes a little too far (specifically with some of their 'reclusive rarities' brews like this one). Just an okay brew with some odd flavor combinations. Pick it up in the variety pack if you wish, it's not as bad as some of the reviews here are claiming

3.48/5  rDev +35.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The reviews are harsh but folks how about some credit for innovation? Great outdoors hot humid day beach beer- great with grilled seafood and beach munches. How about sushi? The cucumber is present but I like cucumber and always found it to be a great palate cleanser. So is this beer. Very refreshing. I would not buy a case but a six works just fine. Hats off to MagicHat for innovative thinking outside of the box. How about on tap? And what about a cucumber IPA say with Columbus hops, might be pretty tasty. Try this one with an open mind and taste, it's worth a shot.

3.39/5  rDev +32.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I poured this beer and it has a light amber color body with a small white head. The smell is like you just cut a fresh cucumber. The taste is like eating cucumber, I get a faint hint of some hops but not much. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth, overall it is interesting but I wouldn't buy a whole case of it.

4.22/5  rDev +64.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A - Pours a slightly hazy pumpkin-spice coppery-orange with substantial streams of small bubbles rising to the creamy, one-finger, off-white head. Head stays firmly intact all the way down the glass and leaves behind a nice web of lacing on the lower 3/4ths of the glass.

S - Definitely some cucumber and hibiscus notes as promised by the name with a faint earthy bitterness. I don't know if I would be able to recognize these smells if I didn't have a priori knowledge from the beer's name. More Hibiscus seems to emerge as the beer warms.

T - The lack of malt notes immediately registers with the drinker that this beer is something unique. Instead the front of the beer is driven by a slight bitter cucumber notes with floral overtones. Things seem to balance out more in the body with hibiscus and a slight sweetness mingling well with the bitter cucumber notes. Sweet and floral soda-like fizz as the beer passes over the back of the tongue transitions into a fresh cucumber and vinegar salad finish.

M - Very light bodied and plenty carbonated. This works well with the flavors and aids in making this brew a real summer thirst quencher.

I don't know if its because i've been spending far too much time in Colorado over the past month, but this oddball of a beer has really grown on me. I dig the complex and unique flavors as well as the real-beer appearance and light mouthfeel. Great summer thirst quencher when you want something light and out of the ordinary. I would buy this again, this is by far my favorite Magic Hat brew.

2.83/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Orange in color with a nose of vegetables and light malt, this beer is light on the foam and has a slight haziness. The foam doesn’t last very long, but it isn’t too bad and is very clean, leaving no lace.

This beer has an interesting flavor of vegetables and light malt, with little or no hop. The taste is sweet overall and there is some spice from hibiscus, but not much and the vegetables are the most dominant flavor. Cucumbers and other greens are obvious and they present a flavor dimension you don’t usually find in most beer. I could even taste a little bit of fruit in the flavor, mainly melon, and there is little hop character.

Vegetable beers are not commonplace, but Magic Hat seems to have made a respectable effort with this beer. It’s been a while since I sampled a beer made with cucumbers and while it may sound weird, it isn’t too bad overall. The alcohol is lower than normal, but so is the body. It all adds up to a beer that is okay, but could be better.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »