Join our email list →

Vermont, United States | website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer | 4.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: jwc215 on 04-15-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of HICu Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
1.94/5  rDev -35.1%

I was a bit surprised when I saw this... cucumber and beer? Appearance was a nice amber with sufficient head. I really enjoyed the smell, but I wasn't sure how it would translate to a good tasting beer. It got me a little excited to try it. Wow, what a letdown. It tasted soapy and bitter(a bad bitter) with a slight cucumber aftertaste(not a good one). It made me think I was drinking the cucumber melon lotion my sister used to get when I was a kid. I will say it got a little better after a few sips, but still diffucult to finish. I am surprised this made it out of Magic Hat. Try it if you are curious, but have very low expectations.

1.3/5  rDev -56.5%

There are people out there who enjoy this? I'm not sure how this made it out of the Magic Hat factory. Mixing cucumber and beer just doesn't work. I don't know what else to say, I love Magic Hat but this particular concoction was repugnant. I'm hoping for the next variety pack they release to feature better styles and flavors.

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Part of the Magic Hat summer sampler mixed twelve pack. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours two fingers of fluffy soapy looking white head on top of a burnt orange colored body. Nice strands of thin lacing. Has almost an IPA like appearance to it.

S - Smell is of fresh juicy cucumber all right. Unlike any beer I have ever smelled before. Some light floral notes from the hibiscus. Some mild lemon or orange citrus qualities to it also. A very unique smelling beer.

T - Again, authentic watery cucumber, floral hibiscus, and some light bitter hop presence. Unlike any beer I've tasted before also.

M - Feel is lightly bitter from the mild hops but is mostly refreshing.

Overall, a job well done from Magic Hat on this one. My favorite beer out of the four in the summer sampler mixed twelve pack, and quite possibly my favorite beer from Magic Hat Brewing Co. to date. Light refreshing, juicy, fruity / vegetal, & unique. I can see where some people might be put off by this beer, but this is definitely a brew I plan to have again.

Magic Hat HICu ---4/5.

3.07/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance - pours a clear, light amber with a frothy white head two fingers that lasts only seconds

Smell - high fruit aromas of cucumber. bitter smelling that seems to be coming stickily from the cucumbers and not hops. Hint of floral (hibiscus).

Taste - intense cucumbers dominate the palate with very, very little resemblance of beer. No malts, very little yeast, and very little hop finish. Tangy, floral aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - extremely low carbonation, with a semi-dry feeling.

Overall - not much of a beer flavor. Tastes almost identical to water with a cucumber inside it. Has a summer feeling, but way too much fruit flavor for my liking.

3.61/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer at Shanty Town Pub out of a variety pack.

Unfortunately it was a little chilly out because this would be perfect for summer heat. There is a huge hit of cucumber in both the smell and taste. The hibiscus came out a little once poured into a pint glass, but not super evident.

Overall it is an alright beer, but as a novelty it is awesome.

4.21/5  rDev +40.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

For better or for worse (depending on how you feel), this beer is a product of the Magic Hat that really opened my eyes when I started drinking craft, not the more recent Magic Hat of the last year or two that's pumped out safe beer after safe beer. HiCu is a weird beer. Now, I love cucumber in my booze. I love a good Hendrick's gin and tonic, and yes, I'll garnish it with a cucumber. So, this is in my wheelhouse, because this guy opens up with an absolute assault of cucumber aroma. There's a bit of floral tones in there too, but this is a cucumber bomb. Never thought I'd be writing the words "cucumber bomb" about a beer, but here we go.

The taste is also super cucumber-y, with some floral tastes, and some citrus hops and caramel malts that peek in and out of the cucumber. The mouthfeel is crisp and well-carbonated, and the drinkability is pretty good, but it's a one and done for the night for sure. Overall, I'm pretty sure I'll be the highest scorer for HiCu on here. It's really what it says. It's a cucumber beer, through and through. If you go through lots of Hendricks gin, this might be right up your alley too. Really, it's the first beer that encompasses Magic Hat's bizarre style in quite some time, so for that alone I'm glad.

2.75/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

a: Pretty reddish-amber with a fine persistent head.

s: whoa cucumbers! And a little bit of something perfumey that I guess is supposed to be the hibiscus. At first this was pleasant, but as the beer warmed it became reminiscent of some kind of hair treatment.

t: cucumber smell without cucumber taste. Dimensionless and unpleasantly bitter.

m: I wasn't really paying attention.

o: I'll avoid this one in future. Is this an attempt at making a "girly" beer that doesn't have berries or something in it? I'm not sure, but it fell flat with this girly. It also fell flat with my husband, who will normally drink anything I bring home in terms of weird craft beers but will also drink cheap domestic tall cans. After we'd each tried a HiCu we had this conversation that has never happened before and never will again, because he'll drink anything twice:

Him: There's a pale ale and an elderberry in the fridge. Which do you want?
Me: Isn't there also a cucumber? You didn't like that either, huh?
Him: ... not really.

3.53/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours deep amber with a lasting thick head. Lacing sticks.

The smell is of cucumber with salt and vinegar.

The taste is the same. Very little floral touch in the finish. The finish lingers.

The feel is fine. Medium body with medium carbonation. Goes down pretty smoothly.

I gave this a higher score than I liked to, but they tried to make a beer that smells and tastes like a cucumber, and they succeeded.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last