Hi.P.A. - Magic Hat Brewing Company

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Availability: Fall

hI.P.A. begins and ends with big, bountiful bites of hops, hops and more hops while maintaining the barest hint of a malty middle in the mouth.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-14-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hi.P.A. Alström Bros

dave00100, Dec 10, 2011

GuidedByBill, May 13, 2012

bluetrevian, Dec 11, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +35.4%

Lovely stuff!!

I've been on a mission to find the tastiest, most satisfying brew in my region (North east) and this, do far, is the best. Very full of flavor. Citrusy & crisp, with a nice bold dlavor. Most other IPA's I've tried are only bitter.

Great hoppy bite with a very nice body. Perfect balance in my opinion. Just right.

tjohnny42, May 06, 2007

Trumbullout, Mar 13, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

Typically having little to no luck in finding the Magic Hat special edition beers I was totally psyched to find a bottle of HiPA at my local liquor store.

The beer pours a slightly hazy honey yellow color with a thin white head that fades quickly to a collar around the surface. Some lace clings to the sides of the glass. A very hoppy aroma with citrus notes and a hint of toasted malt enters the nose before you take a sip. This thin to medium bodied beer is very smooth and has just enough carbonation to give the tongue a mild tingle. The flavor begins very hoppy and is quickly followed by citrus, toasted malt and buttery undertones. It finishes slightly bitter and leaves a hoppy taste behind.

This beer is very drinkable and quite refreshing. The hop presence is strong, but I did not find it overwhelming. I think I found a new IPA on my top 10 favorites list!

WanderingFool, Jul 01, 2003

TEAMHOLT, Nov 14, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured a slightly hazy golden amber color. Magnificient white chunky head that lasted throughout the glass. Beautifel lacing. Smell is very strong on piney hops with some citrus notes also present. Smells like a freshly cut lawn. Taste really brings the fruitiness out with oranges, lemons, mangos present. A substantial hoppy bitterness rears its head to form a perfectly balanced beer. The malt is sweet enough for a nice flavor and the hops are bitter enough to blend perfectly, with neither one dominating. Ending is dry and bitter and very enjoyable. An excellent example of the style with ultimate drinkability.

tgbljb, Apr 14, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

from the joe's garage multi-pack, i was unimpressed with the magic hat brews i've had so far. under the cap says "don't play tricks on those thick as bricks"

A- hazy orange honey colored brew topped with 1 1/2in creamy off white headwith good retention finally settling to 1/4in leaving clumps of lace and thread like wisps.

S- earthy citrus and roast pork. cranberry, pinot grigio, grapes, pineapple, grapefruit, fruity sour hops.

T- passionfruit, orange peel, ruby red grapefruit juice, yeast and malted milkshake, burnt biscuit bottom, herbal pleasant lingering hop aftertaste that softens to pine sap and cereal grains.

MF- resinous leafy feel, great level of carbonation, goes down super smooth.

D- this is a solid IPA, very unexpected. well balanced, the hops aren't too overpowering, i could easily slam a few of these and still want more.

hustlesworth, Aug 14, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +26.2%

Got some of this at the 2003 Vermont Brewers Festival. Which is good since I don't get nearly enough Magic Hat on tap, all the bars in my area just serve #9, which gets very old after a while.

It pours with a nice medium amber body and a thin frothy head. The smell is *very* strong hops, with some nice floral notes, simply wonderful. The taste is beyond merely hopp,y, with a strong sharp hops front. However, it doesn't have much of the bitterness typical of a strong IPA, and after the initial bite fades to a nice mellow citrus character. Very smooth, very drinkable. Another fine beer from Magic Hat.

kaszeta, Jul 20, 2003
4.6/5  rDev +25.3%

Sampled at AOBF, and thought it was kinda thin.

Bought a bottle to give it another shot, and I'm glad I did. Very tasty!!

Poured a hazy light pumpkin color, lovely foamy head, which has died down a bit, but it leaving some pretty lace in the glass.

Aroma is very good: fresh, grassy citrus.

Taste is also really good. Solid and slightly crispy medium mouthfeel, taste is low malt base, followed by hop tang..I can taste some grapefruit type qualities. A bit bitter, but nice and crisp.

Easy to drink, hops are present but not overly-annoying. Recommended. pat

PatandDavid, Sep 04, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

This HiPA is not a I2PA or an Imperial IPA. But it is a very good IPA. The alcohol level is where I expect it to be, around 6%. Good color, an opaque orange/amber. Most significant is the great floral hop bouquet as you raise the glass to drink. Next as would be expected with a good IPA is the assault on your taste bud from the hops as you take a mouthful. Then comes the part that I find particularly appealing, a marvelous citrus/Grapefruit flavor as you swallow. In my opinion a very well balanced IPA.

ybnorml, Sep 15, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +24%

Thick, bright white head, good lacing. The beer is hazy amber with an orange hue, and reaks of floral hops. God I wish they made a Hi.P.A. air freshener. The taste is hoppy sweet, hardly bitter, with a little citrus in there. This bottle tasted incredibly fresh, and was just awesome.

HappyHourHero, Dec 02, 2003
4.55/5  rDev +24%

Under the cap was the message "Beer for Peace".

Poured a pretty transparent, light copper with minimal white head and had medium to low carbonation. It smelled wonderfully floral, citrussy and hoppy. Tastes just as great as it smells, maybe greater. Finishes smooth with hops with only a hint of a bitter kick. I really liked this brew and would highly recommend!

I wasn't too familiar with Magic Hat, but this makes me want to test the waters on any others they have to offer.

jeremyd365, Apr 24, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +24%

This beer reminds me of 'Heady Topper'. For those living in the Waterbury, VT area know what the hell I am talking about. This is the closest thing to the Alchemist's Head Topper. I absolutely love Columbus hops and how they taste! This is like a light version though. I think the flavor is the biggest asset of this beer! I just wish it was available year round!

Quanz_Kitty, Jan 07, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +24%

Pours a nice light copper with an adequate head. The lacing lasted most of the pint. The aromas of sweet fruit (peaches?) and citrus hops made me take an extra whiff or two. The malt is strong enough to balance the fruity/hoppy presence but fades at the end and gives way to a pleasant sweetness. Not as hoppy as most IPA's I've had but to me that's a good thing.
Too bad this is the only bottle I have because this would be a staple in my beer cellar! Fine brew!

blkknight02, Aug 07, 2003
4.53/5  rDev +23.4%

Finally got my hands on some HiPA here in CT a week ago, and I'll be searching for more to be sure. Loved this beer on draft at AOBF and at the brewery where I was lucky to catch it on tap once.
The smell of this ale is amazing, the Columbus hops and herbs jump right out at you, this beer smells like a summer day. On pouring, HiPA is a light orange with some light head and not too carbonated. Very drinkable, goes down very smooth, with a good strong hoppy initial bite balanced by a citrusy background. For the super hoppy aroma, not too bitter either. One of my new favorites, wish these brews from the Hattery were more obtainable...

mikeys01, Jul 08, 2003

kevrob802, Aug 30, 2014

Bouder32, Oct 16, 2013

dji43466, Nov 27, 2012

TheRougeBastard, Feb 11, 2012

TaylorK, Jan 04, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

pours a honey color with a three finger head that fades to a quarter inch with a light lacing. smell is fruity, pine, and grapefruit. strong hop taste hits right up front with that citrus grapefruit rind bitterness. medium mouthfeel with a syrupy bitter after taste. drinkability is good but its not my style three or four might be my limit at one time.

billybob, Feb 14, 2007