Hi.P.A. - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-14-2003

hI.P.A. begins and ends with big, bountiful bites of hops, hops and more hops while maintaining the barest hint of a malty middle in the mouth.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hi.P.A. Alström Bros
Reviews: 657 | Hads: 1,289
1.76/5  rDev -52.9%

A- Clear, yellow, light gold in color with a small white head and some pretty streams of rising carbonation. The lacing is pretty good as I work my way through the pint.

S- Very earthy smelling with a little citrus and floral notes. There is something very strange and not appealing about this.

T- Seriously? Ouch. Very earthy and somewhat bitter. I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just something I really do not like about this. Not very good for an IPA... at all.

M- Bitter and astringent and harsh. This is not appealing.

D- Damn this was just not that enjoyable. Gross.

1.84/5  rDev -50.8%

Okay I wonder if I got a bad bottle of this so I may be reporting an update after a second try if I can bear it. Absolutely awful.

A: pours a really nice slightly cloudy golden yellow with a well-retained 1 finger white sudsy head, tons of thick lacing and a lot of visible carbonation.

S: Aroma is hard to pick up- very light with slight citrus and pine and a hint of toasty malt.

T/M: whoa. Taste is super SALTY! Tastes like it was brewed in salt water. I get some bitter piney hops, spruce like, and a little cracked wheat. Feel is slight carbonated with slight stickiness on the palate.

D: Yuck. Drain pour.

2.16/5  rDev -42.2%

Sooo, nota fan of my local BWs but occasionally they surprise me with a decent local or seasonal brew (my neighbor and I figured we'd stop an grab a few). I was informed that this was a strong IPA by our server. Keep in mind I had just hada Guiness and this is written at about 4-5 beers deep in my evening. This is one of my first beer review on this website and I did not take notes like I would have preferred. Here goes.
Overall impression was meh to average. The servers description was a let down. It was NOT strong like he said it was.
My thoughts.
L: Gold hue, I had poor lighting but it had the look of a typical wheat beer. I was surprised at how much head retention it had for an IPA. Maybe half an inch that lasted half way through my consumption.
S: Fruity and/or grainy (Im still working on my "acquired smell").
T (mouthfeel): Crisp and fresh. No after taste. It had a very fruity taste of strawberry or raspberry, it was surprisingly strong. It was so fruity tasting that it had me doubting what the server brought me out. Looking at their on-tap options (no summer, wheat, or fruity type beer) and realizing the good/above average head retention I figured it was in fact truly an IPA-ish or at least it was certainly a craft beer of some sort. As said earlier no after taste.
O: I would give this beer another try but overall I was not impressed. Hoppes didn't even cross my palate. When I drink an IPA I want it to kick me in the ass with hoppiness and not leave an unpleasant bitter after taste (to clarify this beer didn't leave any aftertaste). It also needs to be smooth, light, and crisp (which this beer was). Imma prolly get their sampler 18 pack and write another review. I was driven to write this review because I'm new to BA and because I'm slightly disappointed with a brewery (and beer style that I love) that I've been eyeing for a while.

As stated before I was tasting this beer with a slightly biased palate, I'd like to try this beer again at home with a better glass ( I really dislike BWs glassware). If and when I try this beer again and if I find I have a differing opinion I will adjust this review accordingly. Rock on BA. Love the site.

2.17/5  rDev -42%

Poured the color of a pils with a nice snow white head that leaves minamal lacing.

VERY VERY odd aroma here, rotting vegetals maybe, unpleasant either way.

Again the ODD aroma follows the flavor here. A bad tang with the rot flavor in the back ground, very ODD as I would expect more from this lrg craft type brewer.

For all the rot and stuff the mouthfeel is exceptable, coming in as a medium lite bodied ale of rotten flavor.

VERY DISAPOINTING is all I can say.

2.32/5  rDev -38%

Pours a light honey with a beautiful white head that has levels of plateaus and some sheets of lacing along the sides of my imperial pint. The hops are big in the nose: grassy and herbal, but there is an awful aspect of burnt tire rubber. This doesn't do it for me. Overbearing medicinal sweetness coupled with hops that are big on alpha acids and low on good flavor. The burnt tire thing comes out even bigger in the flavor and the rest of the hop flavor characteristics taste muddy. Mouthfeel is kind of syrupy and inching towards being absolutely flat. I'm definitely not a fan, but I won't drain pour this either.

2.33/5  rDev -37.7%

Magic Hat 4 of 4 out of Joes Garage. Poured light orange/amber with little head and slight carbonation. Smelled like, well, all hops, grapefruit, but acidic and artificial , almost like it burned the nose hairs. Mouth was thin but big. Small foam, but big swallow and candy-hops aftertaste. Sugary start was my first impression, then all hops, bitter hops, with over the top grapefruit bitterness, but had a tar like overtone that kind of ruined the experience. Tar is not a flowery experience, and most IPAs have that flowery experience, this was artifical and sweet.

Okay, I'm 4 for 4. I don't know what it is about these beers but none of them were anything like I expected. Overdone, understrong, odd or unusual. Oh well, there will be some misses on the BA experience, just 4 types in a box that are generally reviewed well, all which I didn't like, well, on to the next beer.

2.36/5  rDev -36.9%

A- Pours a hazy orange color, with a white head, 2 fingers in height. Nice retention.

S- on the nose, I get a bit of skunky hash, some very sweet malt and even a bit of lemon/lime action.

T- Starts out extremely sweet from the hops, but it is far from enjoyable. I get loads of cloying berry and odd citrus fruits in this one, none of which posses any resemblance of hops. The finish is still sweet.

M- Thick feel, low carbonation but devastatingly sweet.

D- Poor. This ended up being a drain poor. Will not drink again.

2.43/5  rDev -35%

Pours a very pale orange color with a decent head that fades away and leaves no lacing. Smells of honey, melon, citrusy, pears, but strange. Tastes of more honey, lots of butter, melon, and a bit of bitter hops but not much for an ipa. Tastes very weird...almost like a hoppy hefeweizen. I'm really put off by this and wish I didnt grab a 12-pack of it. Its a pretty thick beer too....semi dry finish. Not very drinkable...I remember this being a lot better.

2.43/5  rDev -35%

Appearance: Light orange beer with a small, white, most-diminishing head that left only trace amounts of lacing.

Smell: Citrus rind, herbal, chalk, resin, light malt, and maybe even cardboard. There was something off about this beer.

Taste: Harsh, even for an IPA. Little Balance. Sort of a raw hop taste with a shadow of malt, citrusy and slightly perfumy. The finish is long and quite bitter with a bubble-gum-like flavor. Strange.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, chalky & dry texture, low (almost flat) carbonation.

Drinkability: Not that good. I sort of enjoyed it, but definitely didn’t want another.

I’m wondering. Taking into account the overwhelmingly good reviews and Magic Hat’s track record, maybe I got a bad bottle. I’ll have to try in again to test that theory, but in the meantime this beer gets sub-par marks.

2.45/5  rDev -34.5%

Aroma is of pine/floral hops and some caramel malts. Pretty boring and uninviting smell after the initial opening of the bottle.

The taste is not what I usually enjoy. It feels like I got slapped in the mouth with hops. Pretty strong bitter aftertaste. This beer is way too unbalanced for my preference.

Overall I think I could drink a couple of these, but I would rather not. This isn't my favorite IPA, by a long shot, but I could still put a few away. Average, not worthy to seek out or order out @ a bar. Seek others. Magic Hat is really just not a great brewery in my opinion and if they didnt have #9 I doubt they would still be in business.

2.46/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a four finger off-white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Flowery, hoppy nose. Flavor begins with a hint of sweetness but the hops quickly overwhelm, with a lingering hoppy/piney aftertaste. True to style - not my style. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

2.6/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Pours a hazy golden peach, which clears up as it warms. Small white head does not much retention and leaves some lace behind.

Raw hop aroma of pungent herbs, pine, grass, and mild citrus. Very strong and a little must. Faint malt lies behind the hops.

Hops are what this beer is all about. Herbal, leafy, and lots of pine kick in first and remain throughout. Very earthy and raw with sappy sweetness and citrus twang. Some bready sweetness attempts to balance to no avail. Notes of fruit and cider towards the finish. Finishes bone dry. Tastes as if someone was angry - "You want hops? Here, here's your hops!!"

Light to medium in body - way too thin result in a rough and raw feel on the tongue. Crisp, a little coarse and grainy. The hops are a bit too much, definitely unbalanced, overpowering and unpleasant at times. Not undrinkable, but I could not finish the 12oz bottle. Not a fan.

2.61/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Color of light caramel, some head, slightly opaque. Looks good.

One sniff and the hops punch you in the face. This has a very strong and distinct smell. It isn't necessarily bad, but I am not a big fan.

Very bitter--this beer is overhopped. The other flavors (if any) are overshadowed by the hops. For a pure hops lover, this might be good, but it isn't a complex flavor, it's really just hops.

A lot of body for an IPA. It's maybe a bit creamier than you'd expect (not that it's creamy, just more than you'd think). There is some bite from the bitterness. This beer has a very solid mouthfeel.

Not a fan--there are plenty of complex, interesting IPAs that I'd rather have than this.

2.62/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours an amber like color with a foamy two finger head. The beer gives way to good lacing. The overall aroma of the beer is that of earthy hops with a hint of some citrus. The overall taste is of earthy hops, pine and a hint of maybe orange or another citrus tone. The beer is lightly carbonated. Overall it is an okay IPA but there is nothing about it to make it stand out.

2.63/5  rDev -29.7%

Man, what happened to this beer? Last year (2003) it was way hoppy with a good malt backbone which covered up the cloying Ringwood aftertaste that is prevelent in most of MH beers. But this year (2004), the Ringwood aftertaste is overpowering everything else with buttery, sickly sweet grainy flavors that get stuck in the back of your throat begging you to drink more...water. Looks like they eased off on the hops with this years batch to make it cheaper to produce...errr, I mean... make it more balanced, yes that's it. It's a shame, the one Magic Hat beer I could actually get down my throat has now gone down the same road as their other beers. So sad that once again MH proves that they are more concerned about the label on the bottle than what is actually in the bottle.

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

The appearance of this IPA is very cloudy. It is cloudier than most IPAs, almost like a trippel.

The smell leaves something to be desired. I wanted to smell a mixture of hops and citrus but instead it smells like putrid fruit or like I am hanging out at an indoor pool - thin and very basic; literally, like chlorine.

The taste is directly related to the smell; thin with a taste that hints at real citrus but delivers nothing.

The mouthfeel is fine. This is difficult to gauge given the below average flavor, but it does go down smooth and holds character even as it gets warmer.

Overall this beer is average, I don't particularly like the smell or flavor but it is easy to drink and has some strength behind it (6.7%). The positive qualities end there, however. I am not going to totally rip this brew because Magic Hat produces some great beers, but this one is better left on the shelf.

2.7/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours a very light orange/amber color with a bit of bubbly head and no lacing. It has a pale bitter scent, rather than an IPA, very light on the floral hoppiness and long on the beer jerky scent. Odd taste, I get more egg/sulfur flavors than anything else, although there is a slight bitter aftertaste. It's a bit rough from the carbonation, but not horribly so. It may be worth a try, but it's far from the best IPA I've ever had.

2.73/5  rDev -27%

A good dark golden color with a slight white head but overall it seemes to be undercarbonated. Smells grassy and bitter with a slight bit of malt sweetness. Well this is how I don't like my IPAs grassy and bitter as all hell. It has plenty of malt backbone you just need a lawnmower to find it. Glad I didn't get a six of this ever, but now I have 2 more to work through. This just has the wrong hops for me, I am sure plenty of other will like it fine.

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours with a nice foamy beige head.Hazy orange color.Smells of floral and grapefruits. Also hops. First taste is a powerful Hop kick. A little bitter and dry aftertaste. Not much flavor other than the hops.
After it warms, has an oily mouthfeel. Not a great IPA.

2.75/5  rDev -26.5%

I have a feeling this brew has changed a bit over the past few years. Yes, the labeling has changed, but the main thing is the ABV, which is now 5.8%, not 6.8% as advertised above.

Pours hazy orange, decent head, some lacing. Piney, grassy and earthy aroma.

First thing that hits the palate is hop bitterness, but there is not a whole lot of hop flavor to back it up. Some bready malt, and a pretty good, creamy mouthfeel, but this beer is dominated by a weird earthy/salty flavor to me. It's almost offensive. Carbonation is medium-high, alcohol is not noticeable. Yeah, I'll drink this six-pack, since I'm not a drain pourer (what idiot wastes okay beer?!), but I'm not buying this again. Strange brew.

2.76/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; a cyrstal clear orangey amber, huge off white dense head with champagne like bubbles right up the middle. OK retention with excellent lacing.

Smell: Sugary hops with a strange artificial-musty smell .

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp, sweet with high carbonation.

Taste: Real conflicting herbal and citrus and earthy hops, burning hops on finish, I swear this burps up watermelon jolly rancher.

Drinkability: This on my 4th of 4 varieties in a Magic Hat Pandora's Box Spring 12 pack. It was $12.99. Overall I'm very disappoint with Magic Hat. I lived in Vermont for a year (actually Burlington) and am stunned that a Vermont establishment would add flavors to a product that doesn't need it. This HiPA was the only one of 4 that didn't have "flavor added" on the label, but I don't believe it. The whole batch smacked of a contrived phoniness. Not the natural goodness I expect from Vermont. I won't be buying anymore Magic Hat.

2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

A: Poured into an American pint glass. Has a brown/golden color with a small white head.

S: This has a smell of faint hops and malts. The aroma isn't very strong.

T: Good malts start off and has a good hop flavor and I even pick up some corn? Very bland finish. I am disappointed with this beer I expected more.

D: Overall a sub par IPA and I am shocked at how low quality I found this to beer to be.

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tulip, opaque amber with a half inch white head that reduces to a white ring around the amber brew leaving lacing on the glass as it cascades down quickly. Smell is highly floral hoppy and strong at that. Taste is dominated by a highly bittering hop, with an offensive perfume flavor on my tongue. Carbonation is good in the beer, but half way through the glass I'm thinking this is a pretty offensive IPA. Mouthfeel isn't the greatest, and the aftertaste is bitter in a chemically bad way. I'd try it again but I don't think I'd recommend it at this point, not the worst IPA I've had either but eh..

2.88/5  rDev -23%

From the I.P.A. on Tour series, this 3/4 pint (12 ounce) bottle was received from a good friend. Best enjoyed by October 31, 2011 is clearly printed on the bottle neck. The bottle was poured into a tulip glass.

The pour manifests nearly three fingers of fluffy white head. Head retention is moderate. Fluffy patches of lacing caress the glass. The brew is golden hued with a small amount of haze. It is paler than I am used to seeing from an IPA with an alcohol content as high as 6.7% ABV. A little bit of carbonation is seen through the glass.

In the nose this IPA appears to have an equalized balance between malt and hops. The hop aroma is floral and the malt is reminiscent of toffee. Alcohol is a bit strong on the nose compared to other IPAs of similar strength.

The first sip reveals a beer that is very much out of balance. Hops lead the charge with notes of pine and flower petals. The hop level is appropriate , though milder than most hoped up American IPAs. The problem is that the malt bill is not strong enough to support even the modest hopping herein. Present malts bring to mind flavors of toffee and biscuit; they're just not assertive enough. Somehow Magic Hat has managed to engineer a 6.7% ABV ale that tastes watered down. The finish is dry, leaving behind some grapefruit-like hop bitterness. Did you ever wonder what hop water would taste like?

The mouthfeel is probably the high water mark for this beer. The body is on the lighter end of medium which aids the easy drinking nature of this brew. It is appropriately carbonated. I cannot reiterate enough how light this beer tastes and feels in comparison to what you would expect. Sure, alcohol content is not an indicator of flavor, but one should at least expect a lot more body from a beer of such gravity. I don't know if it was Magic Hat's intent, but HI.P.A receives the award for being the heaviest beer with the lightest flavor. Unfortunately, it ranks near my least favorite IPAs.

The Two-Schlitz Scale: (reference my profile for an explanation)
I don't give a Schlitz for Magic Hat HI.P.A. I don't even know what they were shooting for with this one.

2.88/5  rDev -23%

Pours a decent darkened honey color into my glass. There's a small head, and it soon fades down to almost nothing.

Smell is herbs and some hops, with a determined, very clean yeast.

Taste is sort of odd, with quiet malt underpinnings, parsley, and a combination of high co-ho american hops and far too much in the way of noble hops. There's hallertau and saaz all over this one, and it doesn't work for me. Yeah, it's a little more herbal, as a result, and it's something different, but it just sort of puts me off. The finish is dry and somewhat unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is fine, but no great shakes. Perhaps a little less carbonation would be nice.

Drinkability is not horrible, but I couldn't see myself ordering a second pint, frankly. I have five bottles left -- someone besides me will probably be drinking them.

Worth trying, but not up my aisle.

Hi.P.A. from Magic Hat Brewing Company