Hi.P.A. - Magic Hat Brewing Company

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Availability: Fall

hI.P.A. begins and ends with big, bountiful bites of hops, hops and more hops while maintaining the barest hint of a malty middle in the mouth.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-14-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hi.P.A. Alström Bros

BGsWo22, Mar 20, 2013

cstowell21, Jan 27, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -65.9%

scsurfer27, Nov 19, 2012

apasternak, Jul 12, 2013

IPAchris, Sep 16, 2013

drwatson32, Jun 29, 2014
1.73/5  rDev -52.9%

A- Clear, yellow, light gold in color with a small white head and some pretty streams of rising carbonation. The lacing is pretty good as I work my way through the pint.

S- Very earthy smelling with a little citrus and floral notes. There is something very strange and not appealing about this.

T- Seriously? Ouch. Very earthy and somewhat bitter. I can't really put my finger on it, but there is just something I really do not like about this. Not very good for an IPA... at all.

M- Bitter and astringent and harsh. This is not appealing.

D- Damn this was just not that enjoyable. Gross.

david131, Feb 09, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -52.3%

Okay I wonder if I got a bad bottle of this so I may be reporting an update after a second try if I can bear it. Absolutely awful.

A: pours a really nice slightly cloudy golden yellow with a well-retained 1 finger white sudsy head, tons of thick lacing and a lot of visible carbonation.

S: Aroma is hard to pick up- very light with slight citrus and pine and a hint of toasty malt.

T/M: whoa. Taste is super SALTY! Tastes like it was brewed in salt water. I get some bitter piney hops, spruce like, and a little cracked wheat. Feel is slight carbonated with slight stickiness on the palate.

D: Yuck. Drain pour.

kels, May 26, 2009

bshiban, Jul 19, 2013

chrispoint, Feb 20, 2012

chippo33, Mar 13, 2013

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

thsSAMO, Mar 02, 2014
2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

Sooo, nota fan of my local BWs but occasionally they surprise me with a decent local or seasonal brew (my neighbor and I figured we'd stop an grab a few). I was informed that this was a strong IPA by our server. Keep in mind I had just hada Guiness and this is written at about 4-5 beers deep in my evening. This is one of my first beer review on this website and I did not take notes like I would have preferred. Here goes.
Overall impression was meh to average. The servers description was a let down. It was NOT strong like he said it was.
My thoughts.
L: Gold hue, I had poor lighting but it had the look of a typical wheat beer. I was surprised at how much head retention it had for an IPA. Maybe half an inch that lasted half way through my consumption.
S: Fruity and/or grainy (Im still working on my "acquired smell").
T (mouthfeel): Crisp and fresh. No after taste. It had a very fruity taste of strawberry or raspberry, it was surprisingly strong. It was so fruity tasting that it had me doubting what the server brought me out. Looking at their on-tap options (no summer, wheat, or fruity type beer) and realizing the good/above average head retention I figured it was in fact truly an IPA-ish or at least it was certainly a craft beer of some sort. As said earlier no after taste.
O: I would give this beer another try but overall I was not impressed. Hoppes didn't even cross my palate. When I drink an IPA I want it to kick me in the ass with hoppiness and not leave an unpleasant bitter after taste (to clarify this beer didn't leave any aftertaste). It also needs to be smooth, light, and crisp (which this beer was). Imma prolly get their sampler 18 pack and write another review. I was driven to write this review because I'm new to BA and because I'm slightly disappointed with a brewery (and beer style that I love) that I've been eyeing for a while.

As stated before I was tasting this beer with a slightly biased palate, I'd like to try this beer again at home with a better glass ( I really dislike BWs glassware). If and when I try this beer again and if I find I have a differing opinion I will adjust this review accordingly. Rock on BA. Love the site.

bsmith1029, Dec 28, 2012
2.18/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured the color of a pils with a nice snow white head that leaves minamal lacing.

VERY VERY odd aroma here, rotting vegetals maybe, unpleasant either way.

Again the ODD aroma follows the flavor here. A bad tang with the rot flavor in the back ground, very ODD as I would expect more from this lrg craft type brewer.

For all the rot and stuff the mouthfeel is exceptable, coming in as a medium lite bodied ale of rotten flavor.

VERY DISAPOINTING is all I can say.

welldigger888, Aug 12, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Thehopluver, Jun 22, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

Rekrule, Sep 23, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

Pours a light honey with a beautiful white head that has levels of plateaus and some sheets of lacing along the sides of my imperial pint. The hops are big in the nose: grassy and herbal, but there is an awful aspect of burnt tire rubber. This doesn't do it for me. Overbearing medicinal sweetness coupled with hops that are big on alpha acids and low on good flavor. The burnt tire thing comes out even bigger in the flavor and the rest of the hop flavor characteristics taste muddy. Mouthfeel is kind of syrupy and inching towards being absolutely flat. I'm definitely not a fan, but I won't drain pour this either.

goochpunch, May 24, 2007
2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

A- Pours a hazy orange color, with a white head, 2 fingers in height. Nice retention.

S- on the nose, I get a bit of skunky hash, some very sweet malt and even a bit of lemon/lime action.

T- Starts out extremely sweet from the hops, but it is far from enjoyable. I get loads of cloying berry and odd citrus fruits in this one, none of which posses any resemblance of hops. The finish is still sweet.

M- Thick feel, low carbonation but devastatingly sweet.

D- Poor. This ended up being a drain poor. Will not drink again.

Greggy, Mar 08, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -37.3%

Magic Hat 4 of 4 out of Joes Garage. Poured light orange/amber with little head and slight carbonation. Smelled like, well, all hops, grapefruit, but acidic and artificial , almost like it burned the nose hairs. Mouth was thin but big. Small foam, but big swallow and candy-hops aftertaste. Sugary start was my first impression, then all hops, bitter hops, with over the top grapefruit bitterness, but had a tar like overtone that kind of ruined the experience. Tar is not a flowery experience, and most IPAs have that flowery experience, this was artifical and sweet.

Okay, I'm 4 for 4. I don't know what it is about these beers but none of them were anything like I expected. Overdone, understrong, odd or unusual. Oh well, there will be some misses on the BA experience, just 4 types in a box that are generally reviewed well, all which I didn't like, well, on to the next beer.

Ricochet, Apr 13, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a very pale orange color with a decent head that fades away and leaves no lacing. Smells of honey, melon, citrusy, pears, but strange. Tastes of more honey, lots of butter, melon, and a bit of bitter hops but not much for an ipa. Tastes very weird...almost like a hoppy hefeweizen. I'm really put off by this and wish I didnt grab a 12-pack of it. Its a pretty thick beer too....semi dry finish. Not very drinkable...I remember this being a lot better.

Doomcifer, Apr 05, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

Aroma is of pine/floral hops and some caramel malts. Pretty boring and uninviting smell after the initial opening of the bottle.

The taste is not what I usually enjoy. It feels like I got slapped in the mouth with hops. Pretty strong bitter aftertaste. This beer is way too unbalanced for my preference.

Overall I think I could drink a couple of these, but I would rather not. This isn't my favorite IPA, by a long shot, but I could still put a few away. Average, not worthy to seek out or order out @ a bar. Seek others. Magic Hat is really just not a great brewery in my opinion and if they didnt have #9 I doubt they would still be in business.

claspada, Sep 18, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -34.6%

Pours a four finger off-white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Flowery, hoppy nose. Flavor begins with a hint of sweetness but the hops quickly overwhelm, with a lingering hoppy/piney aftertaste. True to style - not my style. $1.50 for a 12oz bottle from Capital Convenience Concord, NH.

jdhilt, Mar 26, 2007
2.42/5  rDev -34.1%

Appearance: Light orange beer with a small, white, most-diminishing head that left only trace amounts of lacing.

Smell: Citrus rind, herbal, chalk, resin, light malt, and maybe even cardboard. There was something off about this beer.

Taste: Harsh, even for an IPA. Little Balance. Sort of a raw hop taste with a shadow of malt, citrusy and slightly perfumy. The finish is long and quite bitter with a bubble-gum-like flavor. Strange.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, chalky & dry texture, low (almost flat) carbonation.

Drinkability: Not that good. I sort of enjoyed it, but definitely didn’t want another.

I’m wondering. Taking into account the overwhelmingly good reviews and Magic Hat’s track record, maybe I got a bad bottle. I’ll have to try in again to test that theory, but in the meantime this beer gets sub-par marks.

ski271, Mar 07, 2005