2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hi.P.A. - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Hi.P.A.Hi.P.A.

good

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Availability: Fall

hI.P.A. begins and ends with big, bountiful bites of hops, hops and more hops while maintaining the barest hint of a malty middle in the mouth.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-14-2003)
View: Beers (36) |  Events
Ratings: 1,162 | Reviews: 649 | Show All Ratings:
RockAZ

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Excellent beer, glad to have it in my keg fridge for the week it took us to guzzle it down. Hoppy nose, really piney and fragrant. A little too much carbonation for my preferences, but as it warmed up it became even more aromatic. Really liked it, would definitely buy it again. Perhaps for the first time, I got a sense of grapefruit on an IPA, it scraped the tongue.

01-06-2013 07:32:20 | More by RockAZ
bsmith1029

2.15/5  rDev -41.7%

Sooo, nota fan of my local BWs but occasionally they surprise me with a decent local or seasonal brew (my neighbor and I figured we'd stop an grab a few). I was informed that this was a strong IPA by our server. Keep in mind I had just hada Guiness and this is written at about 4-5 beers deep in my evening. This is one of my first beer review on this website and I did not take notes like I would have preferred. Here goes.
Overall impression was meh to average. The servers description was a let down. It was NOT strong like he said it was.
My thoughts.
L: Gold hue, I had poor lighting but it had the look of a typical wheat beer. I was surprised at how much head retention it had for an IPA. Maybe half an inch that lasted half way through my consumption.
S: Fruity and/or grainy (Im still working on my "acquired smell").
T (mouthfeel): Crisp and fresh. No after taste. It had a very fruity taste of strawberry or raspberry, it was surprisingly strong. It was so fruity tasting that it had me doubting what the server brought me out. Looking at their on-tap options (no summer, wheat, or fruity type beer) and realizing the good/above average head retention I figured it was in fact truly an IPA-ish or at least it was certainly a craft beer of some sort. As said earlier no after taste.
O: I would give this beer another try but overall I was not impressed. Hoppes didn't even cross my palate. When I drink an IPA I want it to kick me in the ass with hoppiness and not leave an unpleasant bitter after taste (to clarify this beer didn't leave any aftertaste). It also needs to be smooth, light, and crisp (which this beer was). Imma prolly get their sampler 18 pack and write another review. I was driven to write this review because I'm new to BA and because I'm slightly disappointed with a brewery (and beer style that I love) that I've been eyeing for a while.

As stated before I was tasting this beer with a slightly biased palate, I'd like to try this beer again at home with a better glass ( I really dislike BWs glassware). If and when I try this beer again and if I find I have a differing opinion I will adjust this review accordingly. Rock on BA. Love the site.

12-28-2012 06:55:54 | More by bsmith1029
Kadonny

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from tap into a nonic pint glass at Tjs in Paoli Pa.

A: A Amber orange color with a one finger off white head. Nice glass lacing.

S: Floral citrus hops with a subtle malt sweetness.

T: Very floral and earthy with some lighter citrus tones. I can even detect a slight perfumeness to the beer. A sweet caramel malt backround sits there but gets pounded down by the hops. Bitterness finishes.

M: A bit thin actually, the perfumy/floral flavor disappears quickly.

Overall an Ok DIPA that I would drink anytime but won't go out of my way to find. Solid but not spectacular.

03-30-2009 19:51:41 | More by Kadonny
dfillius

4.47/5  rDev +21.1%

Served in a pint glass at the Main St. Public House in Philmont NY
A: 1 finger of beautiful white creamy head with excellent retention. Clear golden liquid.
S: Dank citrus, garlic and marijuana hoppiness.
T: Great hop bite and spice with a good malt hint. Strong hop body.
M: Bitter, but a tad astringent.
D: Very strong save astringent aftertaste. I ordered another, and would buy a six-pack.

03-22-2009 22:37:29 | More by dfillius
whitehouse50

3.93/5  rDev +6.5%

Had this on tap at Croxley Ales in Long Island. Pours a yellow orangey color with a nice head on it.

The nose is great on this. The aroma of hops you really know you have an IPA in front of you. Mostly citrousy notes not too bitter.

The taste is overall pretty hoppy, not as much as the nose would suggest. After a few sips I almost feel like this has a good amount of wheat in it or mixed with one of their wheat beers.

This has a slight creaminess to it and goes down pretty smooth. I could certainly have a few of these in a sitting.

03-16-2009 18:41:17 | More by whitehouse50
sholland119

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

On tap at TJs, Paoli.

A-Pours a clear orange amber with a nice tan head and good lacing.

S-A little light, some malt and a hint of hops.

T-Following the nose but probably even more disappointing. Malty, light hop bitterness and an iced tea like finish.

M-Medium bodied, but with no real memory of the hops.

D-My notes say "meh". I'm sticking with that.

HV

03-11-2009 15:52:13 | More by sholland119
gdfan47

4.2/5  rDev +13.8%

A- pours a nice dark amber with a small white head and pretty aggressive/pleasant lacing
S- hops, some inviting green notes, a touch of grapefruit, some more hops
T- very nice, def right in the realm of an ipa not dipa. Not to much hops, but pretty low abv, hides it well a very nice session beer
M- pretty carbonated, the hops really shine through, this one works well really cold as well
D- very nice, could drink this all day

note: not my first time having it, one of my college faves

02-21-2009 07:39:48 | More by gdfan47
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.78/5  rDev +2.4%

On tap at the brewery. This beer pours an orange amber with a creamy, white head. Decent retention and sticky lacing. The aromas were dominated by citrusy and piney hops. The flavors were at first sharply hopped, resin and grapefruit followed by some balancing malt. Hints of spices. Medium body and medium carbonation add to the beers right-down-the-middle-ness. Crisp finish and though simple it is one of the best IPAs they have produced.

09-04-2008 14:37:39 | More by thekevlarkid
OWSLEY069

3.88/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a nice pale golden color with an aroma that is kind of dry yet citrusy. In the taste, hops are present yet very mild. I think this beer is a nice IPA, American yet kind of seeing its English roots. And me being a stoopid hippie, loving the namesake and artwork, enjoyed it, but it could have been just a bit more.

06-14-2007 22:50:09 | More by OWSLEY069
jbsteiny

Hawaii

4.08/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured peachy with a slight white head, drippy lacing. Smelled phenomenal - a real hop bouquet. The floral dominates, but there's herbs, spices, and bitters (unusual in the nose, but I definately smelled this before I tasted it). According to the MH website, this is all due to the Warrior hops, which i kind of have a hard time believing, but would they lie about this? The taste of this beer was a hop rollercoaster -- starts low and bitter, then ascends to herbal, then floral, and a crisp bitter finish. One of the best Magic Hat selections I've tried, and will be definitely ordering this in the future.

04-24-2007 04:41:50 | More by jbsteiny
TrickKnee

Connecticut

3.73/5  rDev +1.1%

Very bold flavor for an IPA. I was just surprised as the rest of you that this is a seasonal beer, seem to remember it being around for most seasons however theat could just be the beer taling. Decent head with a nice color. Even though the smell and taste are there the overall mouthfeel takes away from what could be classified as a downright great beer.

07-27-2006 12:23:59 | More by TrickKnee
errantnight

3.3/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured a pleasant deep gold with moderate head and minimal lacing. Very typical IPA, so I'm interested, but nothing startling/enticing.

The smell is... well, it's mild, to say the least. Very little malt and only an afterthought of floral hops, and really, it seems like more pine/citrus, but very, very restrained.

And it tastes? Bland. This can't be the same beer I was told was such a hop bomb in a bottle, can it? Smooth, and easy, but not necessarily likeable. The hops are mild and restrained, and there's no hint of sweet with the pine, the citrus and floral notes are gone before you know it (I will say, it leaves a very clean, satisfying finish), and there's really no malt profile to speak of.

As the beer is consumed, I must admit that I began to find myself thinking of it as eminently sessionable for an IPA, and during my salad/before entree it went down easy and the hops settled in just a little bit. But I was decidedly underwhelmed. I'd drink it in an instant, but I'd never order it again.

Particularly not where Bigfoot is on tap @ 3.50 a pop.

06-07-2006 06:18:44 | More by errantnight
boulevard2

4.05/5  rDev +9.8%

On tap at the Boulevard Grill 16 oz pint

Pours a lite amberish color with a huge white head that slowly disapates with a nice thin rim.The smell is infumed with crisp hops and citrusy notes.The taste is very smooth with hints of pineapple and citrus aftertaste.This beer overall is a smooth beer offered from Magic Hat and to my suprise is a great IPA and reccomend to others.

05-12-2006 00:02:55 | More by boulevard2
jakester

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

I had this on tap at Union Jack's on the Manatawny

Arrives a slightly hazy (chill haze) peach color with a 1/2 finger of off-white foam. After 5 minutes or so, the head drops to a nice coating and a ring. Lacing observed for the duration. Fairly strong carbonation. Pretty beer!

Aromas of floral/grassy hops, good fruity/bready caramel, Ringwood(?). Pleasant smells.

First flavor is sweet bready malts, then a strong bittering blast from hops. Grapefruit, orange peels, grass and flowers. There's alot going on here! A complex brew. Pretty sure it's Ringwood. It's OK!

Mouthfeel is smoothly sweet, pretty damn tingly carbonation mouth puckering bitter, and lip smacking good.

This beer is recommended, unless you don't like Ringwood yeast. The flavor is present, but the beer is damn drinkable.

07-21-2005 11:53:58 | More by jakester
rdrummer

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I probably made the mistake of trying this after finishing the Stone IPA but it didn't come close to matching the Stone offering. It poured a rather bland golden beer that was quite hazy. There was a smallish head that was short-lived. It had a very nice hoppy aroma with some obvious citrus and herbs present.

I usually expect an IPA to shine in the taste department, but this was devoid of many of the subtleties of a erally good IPA and instead was more raw hops, which I usually like. I think this could use a little more balance.

I define myself as a hophead so it is a little embarrassing that I almost didn't finish this beer because of the raw hop taste. It's not a bad beer but I like beers that have some balance to them.

09-01-2004 23:34:27 | More by rdrummer
MuddyFeet

3.38/5  rDev -8.4%

Very pale for an IPA. I tend to prefer IPAs to have a more coppery tone, but this one was almost Crayola yellow. Made me think it had been watered down until I tasted it It is a very hoppy beer with a nice bitter kick. The bitters come from a pine taste that would likely be overpowering to some. I also thought there was a taste of orange or lemon peel, but for the life of me I could not decide which. It was quite a good IPA, although not something I'd go out of my way to have another pint.

08-22-2004 15:20:23 | More by MuddyFeet
ColForbin

New Hampshire

4.5/5  rDev +22%

Magic Hat Hi.P.A. is an entirely different beer on tap than in the bottle - and I would argue a much better beer, as well. It pours a deep golden color with a minimal white head. The aroma is very hoppy, with piney and citrus notes abounding. Taste is full of spicey, bitter hops, in fact this beer tastes like there are hops floating in the keg. Not totally unbalanced, however, Hi.P.A. has a nice malty finish. The mouthfeel is firm and oily from all of the hops, with fine carbonation. A very full-flavored ale - more of a meal than an accompaniment. If you've had this in the bottle and were underwhelmed, try it on draught - you won't be disappointed.

07-22-2004 23:58:46 | More by ColForbin
bigone4

Rhode Island

3.85/5  rDev +4.3%

I enjoyed this beer but it is not my favorite. I had it for the first time at the Vermont Brewfestival last year. Smooth IPA with a nice finish. Not to much hop bite but it is still enjoyable. Good beer for people who like a milder IPA. I enjoy the higher IBU count ones more. Has a good color and a nice smell. Tasted good but seemed like it could have some more hop kick to it.

06-28-2004 18:32:54 | More by bigone4
UnionMade

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev -4.3%

The beer is a deep orangey amber, topped with a thick, rocky white head. Great retention, lasting through the entire pint, with a belgian lacing all the way down.
Aroma is very hoppy, making up the bulk of the aroma. Citric, herbal and slightly grassy, distinctly similar to marijuana. Mild biscuity malt rides beneath, providing some balance but not quite getting there. The hopping pretty much takes over everything, burying most of the fruitiness, aside from a slight lemon-like odor.
Flavor is very mild in the beginning, with a slight biscuity, toasty malt. The hops kick in almost immediately, with a whisper of pear and floral esters beneath. A strongly pot-like hopping in the finish, with almost no malt flavor at all. Rather light bodied, with perhaps too thin of a malt profile. Relatively smooth mouthfeel, with mild carbonation.
I prefer the cask version much more, as it seems to have a bit more weight to it, and the hops are a bit more balanced. The thinness of the malt isn't much to my tastes, although I suppose the light body suits the summer. A good pint, but not my favorite.

02-02-2004 04:24:33 | More by UnionMade
John

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Two pints on tap at Sunset Cantina, Allston, MA - 7/29. Light, golden ale-like appearance. Aroma is hops in the raw, period. The first taste is raw and bitter...piney and astringent. As the temperature rises (it was served cool and at proper temp), there's a hint of something that resembles malt/grain. The light and faint hay-like grains merely suggest an underlying sweetness. That's quickly overwhelmed by more bitterness. Bitterness without hop flavor character. Unbalanced (understatement of the millenium). There is also a prominent ringwood yeast mustiness. I enjoy other beers by MH and other ringwood breweries but it's rather unpleasant here. Thin body, light mouthfeel. Now that I've had this brew, I've satisfied my curiousity associated with the hype. Not bad, but a beer I don't feel the need to have again.

07-30-2003 20:29:12 | More by John
UncleFrank

Connecticut

Now here is an interesting review that takes into account that I have had this beer at different places and had different opinions each time. The result is a blend of what I think overall. I have a bottle of it too, but for consistency I won’t taste it until after I write this.

A nice orange-amber color fills the glass with a white head that lasts throughout the beer.
The aroma is amazing. Complex array of different hops, citrus, grapefruit, and a touch of fresh cut grass.
The taste of this beer is what differs the most from place to place. At one place it reminded me of a strong Harpoon IPA. At another the hops were not present. (I think this was a bad keg). The best was in Providence where the complexity of this beer was able to shine. Layers of malt/hops/malt/hops/etc., etc. Not to sweet but nice blend of malt flavors with butterscotch notes. Each wave of hops was different starting bitter, then tangy, and ending with citrus dryness.
The mouthfeel is what it should be but I don’t know how much I could drink due to its higher ABV. This is what the Humdinger series should be like after being disappointed with a few in the past. Overall a very good and interesting brew. (fhf)

07-29-2003 00:13:46 | More by UncleFrank
kaszeta

New Hampshire

4.63/5  rDev +25.5%

Got some of this at the 2003 Vermont Brewers Festival. Which is good since I don't get nearly enough Magic Hat on tap, all the bars in my area just serve #9, which gets very old after a while.

It pours with a nice medium amber body and a thin frothy head. The smell is *very* strong hops, with some nice floral notes, simply wonderful. The taste is beyond merely hopp,y, with a strong sharp hops front. However, it doesn't have much of the bitterness typical of a strong IPA, and after the initial bite fades to a nice mellow citrus character. Very smooth, very drinkable. Another fine beer from Magic Hat.

07-20-2003 15:47:41 | More by kaszeta
bewareOFpenguin

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

I had this beer on tap. It came yellowish-orange, with a good head. It was well hopped, but not over hopped. Some hints of citris. Malt? It was not "crisp", but it was a good thirst quencher. It went down very smooth. This is a definite "session" IPA, the ABV is moderate, and not noticeable.

06-23-2003 06:28:25 | More by bewareOFpenguin
ecoboy

Rhode Island

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In my notes, I wrote, "what the *@!X?"

This was a head-shaking experience in a good way. Straw color with good lacing hardly prepared me for the aroma and flavor. As Emiril would say, "BAM!" Smells like geranium leaves and I mean big fresh hop aroma. Flavor very grassy with mild crisp malt flavor. Surprisngly round finish with lingering bite after glass is empty.

Is this made with fresh hop leaves rather than dried? It was like beer poured out of the mower bag.

My goodness, was this ever a nice surprise from a brewer that is usually so judicious with the hops.

06-11-2003 12:36:09 | More by ecoboy
goz

4.43/5  rDev +20.1%

Growler from the brewpub. Pours amber, with a nice sized white head, mostly diminished to leave good lace on the glass. Aroma is pretty much all hops - floral, citrus, and grassy. Flavor follows, with a strong citrus punch that has a lot of pineapple in it. Body is medium, flavors long and lingering. A great IPA.

05-14-2003 08:44:46 | More by goz