Hi.P.A. - Magic Hat Brewing Company

good

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Availability: Fall

hI.P.A. begins and ends with big, bountiful bites of hops, hops and more hops while maintaining the barest hint of a malty middle in the mouth.

(Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-14-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hi.P.A. Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I probably made the mistake of trying this after finishing the Stone IPA but it didn't come close to matching the Stone offering. It poured a rather bland golden beer that was quite hazy. There was a smallish head that was short-lived. It had a very nice hoppy aroma with some obvious citrus and herbs present.

I usually expect an IPA to shine in the taste department, but this was devoid of many of the subtleties of a erally good IPA and instead was more raw hops, which I usually like. I think this could use a little more balance.

I define myself as a hophead so it is a little embarrassing that I almost didn't finish this beer because of the raw hop taste. It's not a bad beer but I like beers that have some balance to them.

rdrummer, Sep 02, 2004
3.78/5  rDev +3%

This IPA seems to straddle the line between american standard, and double IPA.

Pours a brilliant copper with a creamy white head leaving a thick lacing. Nearly perfect appearence. The label art is also fantastic.

A nose of mostly bitter hops, chinook? with slight grassy notes, some soft fruis there also.

Initial burst of fruitiness, followed by a hard bitter, citrisy hops kick. Mellows to a smooth creaminess and goes down fairly easy. Afterwards the hops come back, leaving an aftertaste perhaps too bitter.

Charthepirate, Aug 28, 2004
3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

Very pale for an IPA. I tend to prefer IPAs to have a more coppery tone, but this one was almost Crayola yellow. Made me think it had been watered down until I tasted it It is a very hoppy beer with a nice bitter kick. The bitters come from a pine taste that would likely be overpowering to some. I also thought there was a taste of orange or lemon peel, but for the life of me I could not decide which. It was quite a good IPA, although not something I'd go out of my way to have another pint.

MuddyFeet, Aug 22, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle label reads that this beer is best before September 2004. It was tasted on August 16, 2004. Surprisingly, this beer didn't seem to exhibit any oxidation that I could find, thumbs up. The color was quite pleasing, a light honey golden color. I always get a thrill out seeing a beer of this color and then finding out that it has some balls to it (seems to be abit of a trend, considering the style guidelines for Double IPAs and the resultant mania over them).

Very little head retention and very little carbonation to boot. Between the mouthfeel and carbonation levels it reminded me of the many pints I've had from gravity dispensed firkins. In short it was pretty pleasant on the tongue.

Aroma was big american hops. Magic Hat's website says, the beer is all Warrior and I've got no reason to think they are lying. Definitely dry-hopped with pleasant hops despite the closeness to the Best Before Date.

This beer is quite drinkable considering that it almost seems like it was Magic Hat's attempt at a double IPA. Unfortunately, what would have been a wonderful dry hop flavor is off set by the unpleasant skankness of British ale yeast. This makes me wonder why it's classified as an American IPA(I guess because it's brewed in America). I realize that some of you don't mind or enjoy the taste but I find it pretty rank, so the beer lost points in this regard. There is a slight alcohol taste after the beer warms up but it is not string enough to be unpleasant. It almost reminds me of Victory Hop Wallop in the sense that the hop to malt ration doesn't give it very much backbone. It is not as hoppy as Hop Wallop and as such the beer is much more drinkable.

This is one of the first Magic Hat beers I've Really enjoyed (the other was Jinx which I haven't had in about 4 years). Worth a taste or two, while sitting down to watch the Summer Olympics.

On-on

JayT, Aug 16, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Transparent orange-influenced amber. The head is rich cream in color with a tight-bubbled density and a finely pitting, moonscape surface. The foam is acceptably sticky and leaves an impressive display of lace.

Very nice citrusy nose of sugar-crusted grapefruit. To my knowledge, this is my first Warrior-exclusive IPA. If the nose is any indication, it looks like I've found yet another hop variety to add to my growing list of favorites. Not much malt in the aroma, which is just how I like it.

Hi.P.A. is an enjoyable single-hopped IPA, but I find myself wishing that the flavor was a little bolder and that the body was a little bigger. The culprit, I believe, is a relative lack of both malt and hops. Without that critical malty bottom end, the flavor (grapefruit pith and pine sap) teases the palate and then fades away before coming to a full boil.

Ease of drinkability is aided by the fact that the beer is a palate caresser rather than a palate wrecker. The desirability aspect of drinkability suffers a bit for the same reason. I've chosen to think in terms of the former in granting the drinkability score.

Magic Hat Hi.P.A is a good IPA in the final reckoning, but doesn't have enough hoppy chutzpah to rank among my favorites. It is a pretty fine summer quaffer though and is going down very nicely on this sunny Sunday afternoon. Thanks to mikeys01 for the bottle.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 08, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a hazy orangish amber color with a billowing white head that leaves a nice lace. Aromas are super fruity and super hoppy ranging from grapefruit and other citrusy fruits, to a little oily piney aroma that just makes it known that there are some hops in this beer. The flavor of this beer starts out just like aromas, showing off a tremendous amount of citrusy fruits: grapefruit, mango, oranges and other zesty flavors. Also this beer just tastes damn sweet to all around to me. Following some malts make there way into the flavor profile of this beer bringing some buttery caramel flavors to the beer. The finish on this beer is nice a bitter, but still very citrusy with a slight sweet tone that still stays even with all the bitterness. This beer was medium to light bodied with a nice crisp carbonation. Overall for those who like sweeter, more citrusy like IPA's this one is a must to try, (almost reminds me of hop monster by paper city in a way) but for someone like me, I prefer a little more piney bitterness and less citrus in my IPA's. Definetly made this a little hard to put down cause it was just so sweet.

bigbeerdrinka, Aug 06, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

I've been dreaming about this sucker all day during work. Comes in a 22oz bomber, bottle design is wicked cool, one of the best I've seen (different from the current picture on display, Magic Hat must change the label each year). My bottle cap says "Hey Norbert!"

Pours a true gold color. Nice lacy white head that clings to the glass amazingly well. Smell is hoppy, naturally. Taste is sweet and hoppy, and instantly refreshing. Aftertaste is bitter and long-lasting. I could easily see myself sitting by a pool, drinking several of these bombers, no problem. Magic Hat has done it again, as expected.

RocketWidget, Jul 30, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle served in a pint glass. Awesome label design, very artistic. The artist (Stanley Mousse) who designed this label had done a great deal of the classic psychedelic concert designs from the late 1960's. As far as a freshness date, August was notched off, so this was still fresh.

Amber colored with a really nice head. Major sticky lacings on the sides of the pint glass.

The smell is powerful and one that I've been loving lately. This beer reminded me of the Smuttynose IPA with many similarities.Whiffs of pine, citrus fruit and hops are clearly there.

Taste is beautiful....super hoppy. Sweet, malty, pleasantly bitter, and complex. The alcohol is really very well hidden and a respectable 6.8% ABV at that.

What an amazing IPA from Magic Hat. I tried this beer from their summer sampler, but I really hope to see this in a 6 pack soon (if it's not already).

Hibernator, Jul 24, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

Paid $13.99 for the 12-piece sampler...

The appearence is a nice amber colored beer with a purely white medium sized head that does retains alright, and laces nicely as well. The aroma is very pleasent in this one, fruity, hoppy and malty...

The taste is absolutely wonderful, not quite a 5, but damn close to it, starts off with that smoothing blend of hops, followed by that citrusy smell and is full flavored as well. The mouthfeel is really smooth for an A.I.P.A. Cheers! The drinkability can't rate as high, which kind of goes with the sweetness of the style, sorry Magic Hat!

Final Thought: This is the best beer they have to offer, at least of the four I had... This is the best A.I.P.A. I've had!

mobyfann, Jul 23, 2004
4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

Magic Hat Hi.P.A. is an entirely different beer on tap than in the bottle - and I would argue a much better beer, as well. It pours a deep golden color with a minimal white head. The aroma is very hoppy, with piney and citrus notes abounding. Taste is full of spicey, bitter hops, in fact this beer tastes like there are hops floating in the keg. Not totally unbalanced, however, Hi.P.A. has a nice malty finish. The mouthfeel is firm and oily from all of the hops, with fine carbonation. A very full-flavored ale - more of a meal than an accompaniment. If you've had this in the bottle and were underwhelmed, try it on draught - you won't be disappointed.

ColForbin, Jul 23, 2004
4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

slightly hazy amber with a white head. huge fresh oily floral hop aroma, not picking up much else but it smells great. excellent fresh grapefruit and sweet pineyness dominate the taste with an oily resinous quality. a little malt sweetness, but i'm having trouble picking out anything specific, maybe a little caramel. the tatse deserves a little higher than a 4, but not quite a 4.5. medium mouthfeel, thats a bit slick and oily on the tongue. a very good beer from magic hat but only if you're a hophead..

kmo1030, Jul 15, 2004
3.63/5  rDev -1.1%

Wow. What an aroma! Big, juicy, leafy hops make the salivary glands set to working. The flavor is more big, juicy hops, but there’s not a lot of bitterness. The body is a tad thin with the malt being overwhelmed by the hop bloom, but oh the glorious hops. Clear dark golden body with an ok white head.

aracauna, Jul 13, 2004
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

12 ounce bottle with freshness dating. Pours light orangy amber, clear, white minimal head, departs fairly quickly, leaves nice light stringy lacing. Bready malty ale, a tad light on the hops for my tastes. Bitterness is there but not any exciting flowery of floral notes, more of a dull, mellow hoppyness in the background and finish. Pleasant enuf stuff, but didnt knock my socks of as a really killer IPA can.

Note 3-13-06: Gotta give Magic Hat big props for putting San Francisco artist Stanley Mouse's fine artwork on their label of this beer.

Nice looking and easy drinking brew, but c'mon where is the hop crunch? Pretty mild mannered IPA IMHO

Billolick, Jul 11, 2004
3.88/5  rDev +5.7%

A straightforward, brash IPA.

Honey colored amber. Tall, coarse head that throws off lemon zest aroma while you wait for it to die down. Lots of lemony, slightly grassy hops, so zingy you can almost see the little guys floating in the sweet wort. The hops are paired with honey-sweet malt, but they act more like kids pushed together at a dance--the flavors are fresh but they haven't married. Towards the end of the glass it becomes cloying. Lingering lemony, almost metallic tang in the finish that lasts longer and longer.

I was looking forward to having it with the curry I made for dinner, but I drank most of it while cooking. It did better on its own. The hops had a wrassling match with the spice and lost. I had to hose them both down with lots of water.

gentlebubbles, Jul 11, 2004
3.4/5  rDev -7.4%

When you want to drink a good beer and not think too much about it, this one will do the job. Poured a charming slightly smoggy burnished gold colour and managed a decent creamy white cap of froth that had decent staying power and good clinging abilities.

Aroma is all about hops. A slap-in-the-face blast of resiny hops (columbus, I read it on their website) assaults you up front and finally allows some hints of pepper and malty sweetness to manifest themselves. As the beer warms up it manages some light notes of orchard fruits and mixes them with hints of raw grain.

This beer comes off as medium to light bodied (I suspect it was well attenuated) with a very mineral and drying texture. Resiny hops dominated the flavour profile and only let through a few hints of pepper and grains as the brew moved towards room temp. The finish was pleasantly long and firm on themes of bitterness and dryness.

A good session ale for hopheads, refreshing, up front and clean. I would have preferred more malt to balance the brew and lend it some complexity. I nonetheless enjoyed the beer

Beersignal, Jul 01, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -29.2%

Man, what happened to this beer? Last year (2003) it was way hoppy with a good malt backbone which covered up the cloying Ringwood aftertaste that is prevelent in most of MH beers. But this year (2004), the Ringwood aftertaste is overpowering everything else with buttery, sickly sweet grainy flavors that get stuck in the back of your throat begging you to drink more...water. Looks like they eased off on the hops with this years batch to make it cheaper to produce...errr, I mean... make it more balanced, yes that's it. It's a shame, the one Magic Hat beer I could actually get down my throat has now gone down the same road as their other beers. So sad that once again MH proves that they are more concerned about the label on the bottle than what is actually in the bottle.

Longstaff, Jun 29, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +4.9%

I enjoyed this beer but it is not my favorite. I had it for the first time at the Vermont Brewfestival last year. Smooth IPA with a nice finish. Not to much hop bite but it is still enjoyable. Good beer for people who like a milder IPA. I enjoy the higher IBU count ones more. Has a good color and a nice smell. Tasted good but seemed like it could have some more hop kick to it.

bigone4, Jun 28, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Slightly hazy honey golden color. A small head that leaves beautiful lace rings.

Very fresh and floral hop aroma. A touch of malt for balance, but the dry hops steal the show here. This is a hop heads beer. Flavor wise, there's a lot hop--bittering, flavoring and aroma. BUT it is fresh and long lasting (even a minute after the swallow). If you're looking for balance, this is the wrong beer. If you're looking to taste and smell hops, this is an excellent version for you hopheads!

smcolw, Jun 27, 2004
4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

"Make your move to improve your groove", message under the cap.

Strong, cloudy white head. Slowly drifitng from the center and clinging to the sides of the glass. Very nice, sticky lacing.
Golden-orange hue. Nice carbonation clearly present just on sight.

A well-balanced citrus-floral aroma combined with a sharp hop-filled edge.

The taste: Hops, hops, and more hops. Nice lemon, citrus aromatics on the front of the palate quickly giving way to a full, juicy hop flavor.

Very smooth I.P.A. Wonderful interpretation of the style that takes a standard, American I.P.A. to a higher level. Great, lightly bitter aftertaste. Not too light nor heavy.

This is a beer that I would always like to have in stock as a high end, full bodied I.P.A. I could easily have two or three more had I been unaware of the 6.8% abv. Very nice, hoppy I.P.A.

NEhophead, Jun 24, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +9.8%

Not as much kick as I expected, but a good brew nonetheless. Appearance was light golden with a great head and lacing. Smell was heavy on a citrus note with some malt notes on warming. Taste was citrus and dry upfront and continued to the finish with a pleasant hop kick on teh finish. Mouthfeel was dry, as expected. Not bad on the drinkability scale, but just a tad too dry.

edchicma, Jun 22, 2004
3.73/5  rDev +1.6%

After having this brew on tap I thought I would give a bottle a try. 22 oz. Bomber with a clearly marked freshness date of drink by August 2004. The brew poured to a deep golden color with a nice thick off white head with a lot of carbonation bubbles coming up from the bottom. The nose was of citrus hop, more pronounced than the brew I had on tap but not over powering with hints of malt flavors. The taste was nice, heavy hop flavor that dominated but not too much. Notice a malt flavor as well that did not balance out the hop tones but seemed to keep them some what in check. Not a bad brew, think I enjoyed the on tap version a little better. Would have this brew again but feel that there are other favorites that I would go for first!

Stimack, Jun 22, 2004

22oz bottle from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a big ol' 1" slightly off-white head on top of a golden hued brew, which had some staying power. Excellent foamy lacing. Nose is is dominantly hoppy, as one would hope, but with some maltiness hiding in the back room. Taste is adequately hoppy, and has a solid pale malt background. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good as well. Good represenation of the style.

ppoitras, Jun 15, 2004
3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

The beer pours a golden color with a thin white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice malty scent with a wonderful floral hop aroma and fruity yeast finish. The taste is good. It has a good malt core that finishes a bit watery, but with a tremendous bitter aftertaste. It has a piney hop taste that dominates the palate. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a good IPA. It doesn't have the malt make-up that Blind Faith has, but it has a more powerful hop wallop.

WesWes, Jun 09, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +13.1%

Weird name from a weird brewery. But as long as it tastes good I could care less. Poured out a golden amber color with a nice amount of carbonation. Smell consisted of hops, pine, citrus notes and a little bit of a buttery aroma. Taste was hoppy, but not that much. You can tell they have lots of variety of hops in this brew, but it wasn't over the top which I was expecting. It finished a little piney and herbal, but yet smooth and creamy which was nice. This beer will satisfy hop heads and non-hop heads alike. Nicely done.

necoadam, Jun 07, 2004
3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Holy Hop Hell, Batman! This beer can kick your ass if you're not expecting it. Hops all over the place (no pun intended) with an aftertaste that just increases in ferocity. Definitely a brew meant to be paired with food. Surprisingly not as much of an alcohol taste being 6.8%. The 22oz bomber bottle is even a keeper with the trance inducing label design.

MattFrenzy, Jun 06, 2004