Hi.P.A. - Magic Hat Brewing Company

Magic Hat Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: UncleJimbo on 05-14-2003

hI.P.A. begins and ends with big, bountiful bites of hops, hops and more hops while maintaining the barest hint of a malty middle in the mouth.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hi.P.A. Alström Bros
Reviews: 654 | Hads: 1,278
3.34/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

HiPA is a pale shade of yellow, situated somewhere between straw and honey. Small particles of sediment are observed in the hazy liquid, and a cottony head rests on top after a power pour. This later goes down to about 3/4 of an inch, but still, ample lacing clings to the glass. The scent is not terribly inviting... one can barely detect the grapefruit-like hop aroma underneath an sharp, astringent and medicinal layer, that I perceive as off. This could be due to the fact that this bottle is quite past its prime, being a fall release. After a sip however, I was surprised that it was actually pretty tasty. It's heavy on the pine variety of hop flavor, but it's also got a flowery splash thrown in. Something else reminds me of pollen. The brew feels full-bodied as it coats the mouth and is somewhat warming on the way down. There is a very distinct malt presence that again, could be due to the bottle's age. For this review I find the balance between malt and hops favorable though. Take this review for what it's worth - expect what I have found to apply to presently finding a single bottle of this on the shelf. (1,123 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Magic Hat Hi.P.A.

A blindfolded taster would instantly and correctly guess this to be an IPA. It is always well done and styled flawlessly when the flavor profile smacks the catcher's mitt in the pitch zone. This brew is banging on the door of an American Double IPA.

A: Hazy pale gold

S: Citrus and evergreen reaching out to tweak your nose with a sharp, playful hop pinch

T: Sharply tart, hop bouquet lingering

M: On the light side

O: A perfectly, nice IPA - I'd have been proud to brew it myself. (508 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +3.4%

A - Poured a hazy, golden yellow color with a one-finger off-white head of foam. It left thin rings of lace on the glass.

S - It smelled of pine and grapefruit with some toasty notes.

T - It tasted of pine, grapefruit, citrus and some burnt toast maltiness.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale.

O - This is a good IPA from Magic Hat. I enjoyed it. (371 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Another drinkable offering from Magic Hat, this time in IPA form. Full of bitter citrus hops with enough malts to keep it honest. Like most of their brews, it is good but nothing really stands out. (197 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +20.9%

This beer reminds me of 'Heady Topper'. For those living in the Waterbury, VT area know what the hell I am talking about. This is the closest thing to the Alchemist's Head Topper. I absolutely love Columbus hops and how they taste! This is like a light version though. I think the flavor is the biggest asset of this beer! I just wish it was available year round! (363 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Excellent beer, glad to have it in my keg fridge for the week it took us to guzzle it down. Hoppy nose, really piney and fragrant. A little too much carbonation for my preferences, but as it warmed up it became even more aromatic. Really liked it, would definitely buy it again. Perhaps for the first time, I got a sense of grapefruit on an IPA, it scraped the tongue. (368 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%

12oz Bottle from Wegman's Dewitt NY for 2$

Appearance - Hazy gold colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for over 5 minutes.

Smell - Hops, malts, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel and malts mixed with hops. There is also some grapefruit/lemons mixed with some grassy notes. It ends with a mild hop bitterness.

Overall – Good not great. You could do far worse but it doesn't come close to stacking up to all the world class IPA's out there. It has a nice taste but lacks that fresh hop aroma and bite. (672 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from growler into a pint glass

Appearance – Pours a hazy golden-yellow color with a two finger white head. The head has a nice level of retention fading slowly over time to leave a rather nice level of lacing.

Smell – The nose of the beer is a mix a lighter bready and malty smell with a moderate amount of citrus hop. The citrus hop is mainly a mix of grapefruit and a small amount of orange and is mixed with a lighter pine and floral hop smell.

Taste – The taste begins with a sweet and malty base mixed with a lighter citrus hop. The sweet flavors are mainly of orange and some other lighter fruits with the hop flavor being initially of a grapefruit taste. As the taste advances further some pine hop flavors come to the tongue with the sweet fading a little. This mix of flavors take the taste to its end ,where they are joined by more grapefruit and a light floral hop flavor. With this is an increase in the orange flavor which in the end produced a rather bitter sweet flavor to be left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is a little bit on the creamier side with a carbonation level that was average. The creamy body was quite nice for accentuating the hop flavors and allowing them to linger on the tongue, while the carbonation level made it still refreshing and quite drinkable.

Overall – A nice more citrus hop variety of IPA. It has a decent level of sweeter malts to balance out the bitter citrus hop. While not the greatest or most robust, it was a nice easy drinking brew. (1,525 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -42.9%

Sooo, nota fan of my local BWs but occasionally they surprise me with a decent local or seasonal brew (my neighbor and I figured we'd stop an grab a few). I was informed that this was a strong IPA by our server. Keep in mind I had just hada Guiness and this is written at about 4-5 beers deep in my evening. This is one of my first beer review on this website and I did not take notes like I would have preferred. Here goes.
Overall impression was meh to average. The servers description was a let down. It was NOT strong like he said it was.
My thoughts.
L: Gold hue, I had poor lighting but it had the look of a typical wheat beer. I was surprised at how much head retention it had for an IPA. Maybe half an inch that lasted half way through my consumption.
S: Fruity and/or grainy (Im still working on my "acquired smell").
T (mouthfeel): Crisp and fresh. No after taste. It had a very fruity taste of strawberry or raspberry, it was surprisingly strong. It was so fruity tasting that it had me doubting what the server brought me out. Looking at their on-tap options (no summer, wheat, or fruity type beer) and realizing the good/above average head retention I figured it was in fact truly an IPA-ish or at least it was certainly a craft beer of some sort. As said earlier no after taste.
O: I would give this beer another try but overall I was not impressed. Hoppes didn't even cross my palate. When I drink an IPA I want it to kick me in the ass with hoppiness and not leave an unpleasant bitter after taste (to clarify this beer didn't leave any aftertaste). It also needs to be smooth, light, and crisp (which this beer was). Imma prolly get their sampler 18 pack and write another review. I was driven to write this review because I'm new to BA and because I'm slightly disappointed with a brewery (and beer style that I love) that I've been eyeing for a while.

As stated before I was tasting this beer with a slightly biased palate, I'd like to try this beer again at home with a better glass ( I really dislike BWs glassware). If and when I try this beer again and if I find I have a differing opinion I will adjust this review accordingly. Rock on BA. Love the site. (2,185 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

My objective to drink as many IPAs as possible has brought me here, bottle gifted by a cousin, thanks, a new beer and a new IPA for me, never a bad thing. This one wasn't a very good IPA unfortunately.

Beer is reddish amber and clear with a nice head, moderate to low retention, low carbonation.

Aroma is malt with a hint of hops.

Beer is medium in body and pretty malty sweet with this mild earthy hoppiness to it and a mildly bitter / dry finish. It is a boring ale with not enough hop character, I'm surprised this is an IPA, I would have guessed Amber ale. Not a repeat for me. (584 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +9.8%

12 ounce bottle -> World Market Tulip glass

This offering pours up a beautiful crystal clear gold with a big 2 finger foamy white head, nice retention, and great lacing. Smell is very earthy, maybe mostly hops that I get. Taste is just about pure hops, and a little bit of malt, but very drinkable at the same time. Mouthfeel is nice with medium carbonation. I know it's the in thing not to give Magic Hat a lot of love, but this is a solid offering. (454 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy dark golden color with white head.
Aroma is citrusy but not so bitter.
Some great hoppiness in this nose.
Medium body, slight dry finish.
Has a nice balance, not overwhelmingly hoppy.
Overall, this is a beer that is drinkable without being weak, but not a lotover powering of hops. (296 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. Long lasting two finger head. A foggy and hazy golden-yellow

S: A rich aromatic hop scent subtle citrus tone possible a lemon or orange.

T: A slighty sweet and hoppy start the transitions to finish with a even stronger bitter hop.

M: A sharp mouthfeel with smoothens out towards the middle and a bold alcohol bite at the end.

O: A delicious brew but not the best balance in taste as compared to other IPAs. Definitely a more accessible IPA. Would I drink it again? Yes, if in a 12-pack sampler, but wouldn't outright purchase it. (582 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a pint glass, a big, rocky head immediately comes to life. Clear, golden color which is a little light for an IPA, but I don't mind that. Excellent head retention throughout the duration of the beer. A really good looking brew Aroma is good and filled with perfumey hops and freshly cut grass (which I am allergic to, so luckily there is no actual cut grass in the beer). Lots of bready malts to balance the hops in the flavor. A bit resiny but it goes down smooth.

I like this beer a lot. Clean and easy-drinking, it's not an over the top IPA, but I love the way it looks and love the way it tastes. It definitely works for me. (641 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 355ml bottle. Pours a very bright, but cloudy, yellow colour. Lots of enticing tropical fruit and bready malt notes in the nose. Almost like banana bread. On the palate there is a whole lot of strong lingering bitterness that is a nice balance to the ample hops. (276 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -13.8%

Bought this at one of my fav beer stores, and it is because they bring in never-before-seen-in-Victoria breweries and beers like this that keep me coming back!

Pours a hazy golden yellow, with a ring of bubbles around the edges. The smell is really hoppy, but right at the end I get a hint of floral soap smell... For such a strong pungent aroma, the flavour is surprisingly mild. It is medium-bodied, a little bready and some caramel. The hop flavour is sort of a mishmash, a little sweet - a little spicy - a little piney - a little citrus. The finish is clean, no lingering hop flavour. Mildly dry finish, evidence of the dry-hopping. Just a touch of booze on the finish, but that's what you get for 6.7%. I guess if I was having this by the pint on-tap I would enjoy it because it is sessionable, but I have to admit I was hoping for something a little raunchier! (868 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -9.8%

Appearance - Golden almost straw yellow and cloudy. appears to have some sediment in it. Is this bottle conditioned? If so, the sediment was self induced.

Smell - Citrusy but mild, maybe grapefruit. Slightly floral, but overall no one characteristic stands out in the aroma. Not overpowering, but the aroma is very pleasant.

Taste - a slight malty sweetness turns into a very strong bitterness. The bitterness dries out with the noticeable taste of the dry hopping lingering. I personally prefer dry hopped IPA's and enjoyed this very much. Taste is slightly tilted towards the bitterness and lacks balance.

Mouthefeel - Good carbonation with a nice finish. The mouthfeel is a winner in this beer. The beer does not finish sticky, but it does have a lingering pleasant finish.

Overall - The color is too pale and straw for me and the taste a little too one-sided towards the bitterness. I love the dry hopped dryness that comes through, and the mouthfeel improves the overall impression of this beer. This is a beer I would definately order over most options in a bar, but it won't replace any of my normal IPA favorites. (1,127 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

Pretty decent off white head falls into a nice lacing above a clearish honey golden colored beer.

A light sour on a piney and floral aroma with hint of honey.

A light bitterish dry taste with a nice piney hops bite to it.

Dry aftertaste with some of the hops taste sticking around on this medium bodied beer.

A very decent and easily drinkable IPA. (352 characters)

Pours dark and lightly hazy. Smells of medium-strength American hops with strong, pleasant nodes of orange, sugar and grapefruit. Pretty boilerplate, so far as AIPA aromas go, but very solidly done. Nothing off, nothing cloying.

Tastes, thankfully, pretty much as it smells. The hops are straight Columbus and the malt is sweet and biscuity without being too thick or too sweet. The medium-alpha hops take center stage, with a nice firm citrus burst giving way to a milder, lightly spicy middle and finishing on nodes of grapefruit mixed wonderfully with a doughy yeast.

Straightfoward and certainly not bold, but nonetheless tasty and very well brewed. (656 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

Guessing this has changed since I reviewed nearly 10 years ago....a definite American IPA with a nice dose of piney hop notes on the nose...flavor is hop forward and kind of complex...oily hops evident....good tight bitterness but also a sweeter note from the hops as well....really nice hop burps....body is about right on....slightly dry on the finish....I really like this one....got it for 6.95 a sixer and would gladly buy several more if the store wasn't 100 miles away that I got it at.

7-7-03 (3.58)
I think the current 4.21 rating on this is a tad bit high...this ia decent IPA but nothing earth shattering....in fact, I would wager there are dozens of IPA's of the same caliber all over the U.S.

It looks the part...nice orange....little white lace that rims the glass....nose is a little light...I'd say it has more of a English IPA nose... Herbal, earthy hop notes rather than the citrus hops of the west coast...

The body is pretty light...I'd say on the light side of medium...the first thing I noticed when I drank this was the lighter texture...I thought this was an Imperial IPA but even for a regular IPA the body is very light...

Taste is very balanced for an IPA...there is a good malty, bready base along with the herbal, earthy hops...the hopping is not going t oknock your socks off....it has a nice flavor and adds to the beer but if you're west coast hop head this WILL dissapoint you if you are bying it for a hop charge...

Mouthfeel finishes a bit dry which I like...as I mentioned it is pretty light bodied but balanced....

Overall the drinkability is tough to rate because I think this could be a good session beer and there aren't a lot of IPA's I can say that about...or want to say that about...

I see this as a decent English IPA style beer...the thin body is a big negative to me as is the relatively low hopping...on the positive side it has a nice earthy taste to it and is well balanced and quaffable in large doses...almsot more of an ESB in some respects... (2,003 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%

[Suggested Glassware: Shaker Glass]

The pour was a hazy golden yellow with an average (1-2 finger) white creamy head that had great retention and excellent sheeting of lacing.

The aroma was of light grain malts, floral hops and a soapy yeast with notes of caramel and citrus (orange).

The taste was bitter from the get go with a mild caramel sweetness slowly creeping in, and then became mostly hoppy with a strong citrus peel bitterness and a slight peppery ending. The flavor lasted quite a while after the swallow with a good bold hoppiness left lying on the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was light in body and dry in texture with a medium carbonation.

Overall a very satisfying IPA with lots of flavor and a damn good hoppy presence...

http://www.facebook.com/KAJIIsBeerReviews (780 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Samuel Adams Boston Lager glass. Taken from a Magic Hat "Participation" variety pack.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, bright golden color. Has a small, frothy head that dissipates quickly down to a small cap that leaves behind some better-than-expected lacing.

Smell: Earthy, piney hop aromas.

Taste: Earthy bitterness up front. Finishes moderately bitter with a musty, earthy hoppiness. Just enough maltiness that the hops don't overpower.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, with a light body.

Overall: A slightly better-than-average IPA. I feel like this is one of Magic Hat's more solid offerings. It's a well-constructed, if slightly one-note IPA. Nothing really memorable but something I'm glad I had and will probably have again. (752 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, poured a hazy golden color, produced a white head, nice retention and it left lacing on the glass. The aroma consisted of citric/pine hop aroma. Medium in body, this APA, is all about earthy, piney hop flavor. A base of malted grain, this brew also features some hints of apple juice. This brew has all of the makings of a really good APA but it is somewhat off balance. Dry finish. Overall, this was a decent APA- nice session beer, a little rough around the edges but it will do. (520 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

I like the look but it doesn't look like most IPAs. Looks more like a witbier. Pours a cloudy, milky gold color. It's pale-ish in color but mostly opaque due to the hazy look. The head is true IPA. Thick, fluffy, good retention, nice lacing.

I'm a bit torn on the smell. It's got some good and bad. The bad is that it smells like an American macro with a grainy, adjunct-filled, ricey aroma. The good is that it's got a citrusy, grassy smell that gives it the American IPA scent.

The taste follows the smell, a bit of American macro as well as some citrusy, grassiness. Each sip seems to get a bit worse.

The mouthfeel is very bitter. There's slight acidity, but it's got a grainy feel to it.

It's very average. Lots of potential, but reminds me too much of an overproduced American pilsner. (795 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure how this one has evaded my reviewing powers for so long but here we go.

A- Poured into one of those new can-shaped glasses, like a stout pint glass I suppose. Somewhat hazy golden-orange body. A very nice creamy white head forms to about two fingers and retains nicely. Lots of lace creates a webbed pattern around the glass.

S- Hoppy upfront with main notes of pine and citrus zest taking up most of the aromatic powers. Some light bread, caramel and herbal/floral hints in the background.

T- Hops strong again here and the pine seems to be more dominant here than in the nose. Herbal, floral, grapefruit, lemon zest and spicy notes from the hops too. The malt and yeast make their presence known with caramel, bread and light fruit hints.

MF- Creamy light body with smooth moderate carbonation. Bitterness in the finish isn't overpowering but delivers a nice compliment to the flavors.

Solid standard IPA for the price and inclusion in mixed-12 packs. (967 characters)

Hi.P.A. from Magic Hat Brewing Company